IGNORED

Genelec 8250A or 8050A?

Having listened to both HiFi and studio monitors extensively, I have decided to get a pair of Genelecs. I use Mbox mini now but thinking about upgrading to the digi rack level equipment. Any recommendations on whether to get the regular or the DSP model?

Also, if I don't get a DAC right away, can I use them temporarily with a RCA to XLR connection?

Thanks!

Gubi, I have heard the the 8050A's but not the 8250A's. Great speakers. An engineer I trust has told me that he auditioned 8250's and ended up preferring them in "flat mode" with no DSP which means they are simply running as 8050A's. The DSP added it's own flavor of sound that took away from the music in his opinion. If you have a really bad room the DSP could help there, but the major question being is the DSP worth the extra $1,000? Because that's where the additional cost comes into play. You could use DSP software in the future if you feel the need and that's up to you. I think you would be perfectly happy with the 8050A set and could put that extra $1,000 towards the Digi rack equipment or room treatment. I own a Digi 003 Rack myself slaved to a Black Lion Audio Microclock Mk2 and am saving the pennies to have the 003 modded with Black Lion Audio's "Tweak Head" package. You would go from the 1/4" outputs on your Mbox Mini to the XLR inputs on the Genelecs with TRS to XLR Male cables. These are available at Guitar Center and other music stores like Sam Ash or online at Sweetwater.com, zZsounds.com, musiciansfriend.com etc..

david is hear[br]http://www.tuniverse.tv