IGNORED

Recommendations on "High End" Analog to Digital Converter

I'm currently looking at the Benchmark ADC, Tascam DA-3000 and the PS Audio Analog Phono Converter.

I know the Ayre is out there but it's very pricey at around $3K. If anyone could could share their experiences with any of the

products I listed above that would be greatly apprecaited.

Thanks!

Arleigh

Sorry for the UN helpful first response.

All of these should do a good job. Mainly about workflow and how your needs stack up.

The Benchmark is ADC only and without phono, without DSD as a format and you will need a DAC for playback.

The Tascam is both ADC and DAC. Included is DSD but without phono. It has other things like control options and recording to SD card.

The PS audio Nuwave converter is phono and ADC but you'll need a DAC.

Hopefully I haven't missed anything as I haven't used these units. So I am not offering my hands on experience. Though I have done LP converting and am offering looking at your needs based upon what you already have.

So do you already have a phono stage you love? Maybe the PS audio is not the best deal. Have a DAC you love? Maybe the Tascam is not needed. How important is DSD? Really only need just quality ADC as you have the rest? Maybe the Benchmark puts the most money in exactly what you need.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

Well, since another of my foils are gibbering after me, let's recall :

I've not much leisure-time to write nor argue' date=' simply, [b']Chris[/b] trusts me enough to...

So, let's just use our Ignore Lists.

And, truly, there are currently only 6 entities on mine (chronologically) :

Daudio, semente, esldude, Jud, Paul R, and ted_b

HI guys - Remember you can put users on your ignore lists, blocking their comments from your view.

«

an accurate picture

Sono pessimista con l'intelligenza,

ma ottimista per la volontà.

severe loudspeaker alignment »

Well' date=' since another of my foils are gibbering after me, let's recall :[/font']

I have to agree with your "foil". Your response was quite unhelpful. I'm sure the OP knows how to do a search.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

Recalling your judgement in helpfulness' date=' [i']surety[/i] :

My post was a joke at your expense and your post was telling someone posting for the first time to basically "piss off".

Perhaps you don't see how unfriendly your response seemed to be.

Your interpretations betrays your own meanness.

Let's see what Arleigh has to say.

My post was a joke at your expense and your post was telling someone posting for the first time to basically "piss off".

Perhaps you don't see how unfriendly your response seemed to be.

«

an accurate picture

Many of those you list are among the most helpful and informed people here. If you have to block them, you have to ask yourself why.

+1

I can understand blocking Paul :) but Jud? That's just crazy!

Well' date=' since another of my foils are gibbering after me, let's recall :[/font']

And yet, somehow it appears you are not ignoring me. Curious that.

Personally I think everyone on your ignore list is pretty okay and helpful whenever they can be. I too have to agree anyone ignoring Jud has some problems and the problem is not Jud. I wish I had the patience and equanimity that he has, but I don't.

To the Original poster, my apologies for things going this way. It isn't quite the norm here, so please try not to be put off by it. There are people who have done what you are doing, and can be, and will be very helpful in generous ways. I took it you are looking to digitize LPs.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

I'm currently looking at the Benchmark ADC, Tascam DA-3000 and the PS Audio Analog Phono Converter.

I know the Ayre is out there but it's very pricey at around $3K. If anyone could could share their experiences with any of the

Thanks!

Arleigh

There are about 75 DAC reviews here: Computer Audiophile - Digital to Analog Converter

The best of these are on the C.A.S.H. list.

WOW! Didn't think my question would generate so many comments.

To flesh out my original question let me add the following:

#1- yes I've done a search through the forum and read the many comments on Analog to Digital conversion. However many of these were over a year old so I was hoping to get a bit more timely feedback.

#2 - My sole purpose for the ADC is to convert my favorite albums to a Hi Rez Digital format. Probably 24/192 PCM

#3 - I currently use an Auralic Vega DAC with the Aires with a dedicated Windows 10 PC with J River Media Server. I also sown a Paris/SME/Benz Turntable/arm/cartridge combo and the Modulas 3b preamp with Phono.

#4 - I just saw that the PS Audio Phono with ADC has been discontinued and the price has been reduced by 900 so I went ahead and purchased it before their stock units were depleted. It seems to have great flexibility (greater than the benchmark) especially with the USB interface.

I'll report back how it goes if anyone is interested.

All the best!

Arleigh

WOW! Didn't think my question would generate so many comments.

To flesh out my original question let me add the following:

#1- yes I've done a search through the forum and read the many comments on Analog to Digital conversion. However many of these were over a year old so I was hoping to get a bit more timely feedback.

#2 - My sole purpose for the ADC is to convert my favorite albums to a Hi Rez Digital format. Probably 24/192 PCM

#3 - I currently use an Auralic Vega DAC with the Aires with a dedicated Windows 10 PC with J River Media Server. I also sown a Paris/SME/Benz Turntable/arm/cartridge combo and the Modulas 3b preamp with Phono.

#4 - I just saw that the PS Audio Phono with ADC has been discontinued and the price has been reduced by 900 so I went ahead and purchased it before their stock units were depleted. It seems to have great flexibility (greater than the benchmark) especially with the USB interface.

All the best!

Arleigh

Oh, sounds like you have a great setup there on both ends. The results should be excellent. I started to mention the PS audio was going for $900, but didn't know your exact needs.

Welcome to the forum.

When you do some 24.192 needledrops, let us know how close the result is to the vinyl - or if you can tell the difference.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

I'm playing with the PS Audio NPC now, also. First thing I can say is the phono section "ain't too shabby". Still like the one in my McIntosh C50 a lot, but both are nice.

I'm trying both 96/24 and 192/24 to see what comes out best using HQPlayer to do upsampling. Does letting the PS Audio rip at 192 and ease the computer load of HQPlayer beat ripping at 96 and letting HQPlayer do its best work sound better? No conclusion, yet!

Also, if you really like your phono section, you can feed it to the analog inputs. I've got some (eek!) cassettes of live soundboard recordings from when I used to do house sound that I'll rip that way.

If someone has already moved to a totally digital front end you can now use a turntable too!

Also, don't underestimate the software you choose for doing the editing (tracks, etc). Vinyl Studio seems good to me so far. Take some of the bucks you saved on the NPC and buy software. Audacity is free but you'll save the bucks in headaches plus faster editing times once you establish your workflow.

Thanks for the thread. Maybe we should start a PSA NPC users thread to help each other out!

Arleigh

I think this is a good choice esp for 900 bucks! I've used the unit for over a year, also primarily to convert LP to HiRez digital.

After playing around at some length I settled on 24/96 res rather than 24/192.

Coincidentally ( or not ) Paul McGowan at PS Audio and Damien at Vinyl Studio ( the software I use ) also reco 24/96.

My reasons for the choice is because the 192 takes way more storage space; in many cases I can't tell the difference; in some cases the greater detail increases the noise floor to the point of distraction. So only in some cases does it actually sound better - and I'm not going to spend the time to rip everything twice to figure that out.

HOWEVER,

my experiences may be a function of my tt and cartridge setup. YMMV.

So I would be MOST interested in what you discover as you check it out.

Thanks!

Arleigh

You kind of threw me with your request for a "High-End" ADC. I was going to suggest you look at the Antelope Eclipse384, but if you find the Ayre to rich for your blood at $3K, then the US$7K Eclipse384 is definitely out of your league. But that's my definition of a high-end converter. Perhaps you should check-out Behringer's offerings in that category. Not high-end, price-wise, but they do perform and sound good and represent good value for money spent.

George

If anyone else is looking for one, don't forget the linx Hilo, which is also a full featured DAC

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

There are about 75 DAC reviews here: Computer Audiophile - Digital to Analog Converter

The best of these are on the C.A.S.H. list.

In your reckless haste for me, you've embarrassed yourself by recommending the opposite of Arleigh's topic.

And as there's no hurry, I'll wait, elaborating later to :

I've generally used the onsite « Advanced Search » feature first.

«

an accurate picture