IGNORED

Schiit Bifrost Uber vs. Moon 100D Smackdown

I have listened to uncritically to a Moon 100D DAC for a couple of years now, linked to a W4S mINT played through a Squeezebox Touch and Vortexbox server. Speakers are Silverline Minuet Supreme Plus, cables are Transparent MM2 RCA, Black Cat Veloce S/PDIF, and Transparent MWP speaker cables. Overall, a decent bedroom system.

I bought a used Schiit Bifrost Uber USB 2 DAC and found to my surprise I like the Moon better. The Moon seems to throw a larger soundstage in comparison and has better frequency extension. I played the Bifrost for six weeks and it has improved somewhat and reproduces midrange well but, otherwise, I prefer the Moon, especially in the areas of dynamics and pace.

I'm beginning to think there is something wrong with the Schiit (which could explain why it was given up for adoption). It's off to Valencia for the multibit upgrade so we'll see where that takes things. I have great regard for Schiit and the reviews lead me to think something is amiss.

Has you mileage varied? Does it take longer than that to burn in the Bifrost (who knows how many hours it has on it)? Do I have a system incompatibility? Thanks, looking forward to your views.

[Crickets]

OK, Schiit was prompt about returning my Bifrost with the multibit upgrade and mega ultra super combo plate burrito. I'll fire it up when I get home and see how it compares to the Moon 100D and my memory of the Bifrost Uber Analog ala carte taquito plate.

I can't help but like this company. They put the DAC in a plastic bag and shipped it a factory box with the old parts and new rubber feet. Oh, and they gave me the test sheet that identifies the tech who did the upgrade and confirmed the DAC is functioning properly. All this costs them time and money and they insist on doing things right. Bravo.

as Bifrost & Gungnir owner, i am V interested in hearing what your verdict is.

and yes, their customer support is a model of what any business should aim for in my experience.

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob

....just an "ON" switch, Please!

Not surprising, the AKM Schiit DACs I heard were not really impressive. It takes the multibit upgrade to make the Schiit shine. Though, don't expect any smooth roll off or coloration as some weird DACs have. The multibit BiFrost will let you bypass the internal closed-form filter and operate in NOS mode. This way, you can compare some software filters/upsamplers with the built-in one, and possibly better match your overall audio system preferences.

[Crickets]OK, Schiit was prompt about returning my Bifrost with the multibit upgrade and mega ultra super combo plate burrito. I'll fire it up when I get home and see how it compares to the Moon 100D and my memory of the Bifrost Uber Analog ala carte taquito plate. I can't help but like this company...

Well like many have said it sounds lousy for a long time...give it a while before judgment! But it starts with promising sparkle and dynamics. Mine's been going over a month straight and it's just killer. It sounds like great tube gear: a tad noisier than fancy DS circuits but rounder bass, spotlit yet liquid highs, and perfect imaging. Really, just like a top-gear tube preamp. You'll love it!

Mine's going to a music-loving relative. Why? Because my system's optimized for balanced use, and I wanna hear the Gumby and Yggy now.

Mac Mini 2012 with 2.3 GHz i5 CPU and 16GB RAM running newest OS10.9x and Signalyst HQ Player software (occasionally JRMC), ethernet to Cisco SG100-08 GigE switch, ethernet to SOtM SMS100 Miniserver in audio room, sending via short 1/2 meter AQ Cinnamon USB to Oppo 105D, feeding balanced outputs to 2x Bel Canto S300 amps which vertically biamp ATC SCM20SL speakers, 2x Velodyne DD12+ subs. Each side is mounted vertically on 3-tiered Sound Anchor ADJ2 stands: ATC (top), amp (middle), sub (bottom), Mogami, Koala, Nordost, Mosaic cables, split at the preamp outputs with splitters. All transducers are thoroughly and lovingly time aligned for the listening position.

First off, the Moon 100D for all its compact cuteness is a wonderful DAC. It casts a soundstage well beyond speaker borders and excels at pacing and rhythm. It fit the bill for my modest bedroom rig and if it weren't for curiosity I would not have changed.

First impressions after a weekend of constant streaming through the Bifrost are good. The multibit upgrade improved the soundstage dimension considerably (a real strength of the Moon). Instruments take on a dimension of their own and midbass and bass lines are prominent if just a tiny bit flabby. The sound in a macro sense is more organic and round. Dynamics are extended and quite clear without a trace of harshness or glare. While I haven't had extended listening sessions yet, I'm guessing they will be a fatigue free experience.

In all, an impressive first experience. Looking forward to continued improvement as the Bifrost settles in and irons out its wrinkles.

• 1 month later...

So here's the update after six weeks:

The Multibit upgrade did the mighty Bifrost a world of good. From cold out of the box, the Bimby had greater ease, better frequency extension, and a more 3D soundstage than the Ultra Analog. With time, those qualities became more pronounced. The word that comes first to mind is organic -- musical and relaxed in a vacuum tube sort of way. Midrange frequencies are lush, round and full, while high frequencies (like cymbal crashes) are extended but unforced in a very analogue vinyl sort of way. The Moon 100D still throws a larger soundstage while the Bifrost casts instruments in distinct places in a more compact space. Maybe the best endorsement of the Bifrost Multibit is that it is easy to listen to for extended periods without fatigue. There are competitors in the $600 range but this one is special and my experience with the company has been first rate. Take a listen to a well broken in example and decide for yourself.

Thanks for the update. (Just so you know people appreciate reading follow-ups.)

I've corresponded with a couple folks here and Schiit seems to be winning fans the old fashioned way: Critical comparisons in homes and systems vs. others. One person told me his audio club had several people buy Gungnirs or Yggys in the last few months.

Anyway, glad you're enjoying yours and thanks again for the impressions.

Sum>Frankenstein: JPlay/Audirvana/iTunes, Uptone EtherRegen+LPS-1.2, Rivo Streamer+Uptone JS-2, Schiit Yggdrasil LiM+Shunyata Delta XC, Linn LP12/Hercules II/Ittok/Denon DL-103R, ModWright LS 100, Pass XA25, Tellurium Black II, Monitor Audio Silver 500 on IsoAcoustics Gaias, Shunyata Delta XC, Transparent Audio, P12 power regenerator, and positive room attributes.