IGNORED

Raidho c1.1 vs. Josheph Audio Pulsars vs. Harbeth 30.1M vs. Focal Diablo III vs. ?

COMMON SENSE: it's all about pairings and nobody better than the speaker manufacturers themselves to guide what the recommended pairing would be best suited and even more obvious is what you see paired at top audio shows!

Indeed. And i've done that. here's what Lars from Raidho recommends:

Naim Super Nait 2

Moon 600i and 700i

Jeff Rowland S-2

Hegel

Aavik U-300 ( it us our own brand)

VTL

Solution

Constellation

I posed the questions to CA members hoping to read first hand experience at home settings. Additionally, i am looking for an integrated amp. The Naim is too much of a swiss knife, Moon (not a fan of the face), JR s2 is one option i am considering to demo, Hegel i think i'll be going backwards in terms of sound, Aavik (30k int) is too expansive, and so on...

COMMON SENSE: it's all about pairings and nobody better than the speaker manufacturers themselves to guide what the recommended pairing would be best suited and even more obvious is what you see paired at top audio shows!

I don't know about the shows you've attended but from my experience some of those amplifier/speaker matches result from the fact that both brands are handled but the same distributor.

R

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

New purchase. just burning in the Bel Canto 600M's (about 35% so far along) less then a week old. Haven't listened seriously quite yet. Need at least 100 hrs before I begin. But I know they will be awesome. Ncore Tech just like Bel Canto Black. Had the 500M's prior. Will keep you posted.

Haven't heard the other speakers. They have excellent reps.

I have heard the LS50. It is a very nice speaker, but it really doesn't have enough bass extension. I would have voiced it differently to use without a subwoofer. As it is, the bulk of the forward sound quality is related to not having a counter-balancing low end response. If you like them otherwise, a good woofer or subwoofer might be all it takes to turn them to your liking.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

The LS-50's tweeter is (at least) 3dB too hot both on- and off-axis as can be seen in this anechoic measurement:

fr_on1530.gif

source

This shelving of the treble makes it sound overly "bright" and "brittle" and I don't think you can solve that by adding a subwoofer.

R

I would have to disagree with that. I think you can have no toe-in with the LS50 and if you're sitting at about 30 degrees from the speakers, the tweeter probably won't sound too bright at all. With speakers where the tweeter drops off quickly off axis, I often prefer them to fire directly at my ear so that I don't lose the top-end. I think appropriate toeing in or out of the speaker and proper integration with subwoofer can work tremendously well with the LS50.

Had not seen the measures Semente posted. I have seen the Stereophile measurements which show a nice even dispersion horizontally though not in conflict with Semente's graph. Vertically they aren't very picky at all. So looking again , yes even with a woofer they are probably a bit hot in the upper midrange. Toe in or not can help. But my experience with such things is too much energy in those areas even though ameliorated by firing straight ahead still shows up somehow as too much energy there.

So a woofer will help and help a lot. It might not make them a calm speaker. So the rest is down to preference.

Using software to put a shelf at 1k or a slope starting at 1khz and ending 3 db down at 10khz might do it.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

Since the tweeter is mounted coaxially with the woofer moving off-axison either plane will only change the tilt of the curve, but will not affect the shelving of the tweeter, as can be seen here.

Here's the response of the Harbeths measured by the same lab:

frequency_on1530.gif

The FR is much flatter and tilting "the right way" for "warmth".

R

If you toe out far enough with the LS50, this is the horizontal dispersion measurements at 45 degrees on.

http://www.soundstagenetwork.com/images/stories/loudspeakermeasurements/kef_ls50/fr_456075.gif

The treble will still be wrong / louder than the mids while you're running the overall balance by doing so.

The treble will still be wrong / louder than the mids while you're running the overall balance by doing so.

I must admit, i don't full understand the measurements. However, i can attest to the fact that my LS50's are toed in (roughly 25-30 degrees) and the treble still sounds off.

No. If the treble is too hot or bright, you should toe out the speakers. If you have them firing straight so at about 25-30 degrees angle from you or even more and you still find it a little too hot, maybe you're getting some treble from first reflection points so you may also want to put high frequency diffusers or absorbers to the side walls to dampen down the sound. But of course, by choosing a new pair of speakers with a narrower dispersion, it would improve the trebles.

I have compared Raidho D1 and Sonus Faber Guarneri Evo (GE) in my room. Long story short I put my money with GE and also bought Dynaudio C1. Most of my stereo listening is with GE and occasionally I listen to the C1 when I wanted a different flavour.

Enjoy~

I have compared Raidho D1 and Sonus Faber Guarneri Evo (GE) in my room. Long story short I put my money with GE and also bought Dynaudio C1. Most of my stereo listening is with GE and occasionally I listen to the C1 when I wanted a different flavour.

Enjoy~

Do you recall what amp the D1s were paired with?

Enjoy~

Not to be off topic but I am always interested to hear from other SF GE owners. Curious what electronics you use? Also, do you use a sub? After a few years of listening to the GE, I just bought a Rel T/5i sub to see if it helps. Please send me a PM if you want so we dont clog up this thread.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

Both the same amp a Bryston 4BSST2. Interestingly the GE has more details versus Raidho which seems rolled off a little too soon.

Interesting to read that... to my young ears, the D1's sound flawless. Pristine highs, clear, detailed, and open. I could not detect even slight coloration at any register. I have yet to listen to GE's.

Interesting to read that... to my young ears, the D1's sound flawless. Pristine highs, clear, detailed, and open. I could not detect even slight coloration at any register. I have yet to listen to GE's.

I listened to both as well (own the GE) though not at the same time and not with the same electronics. I will agree with everything you said about the D1s. For me, there is something very organic about the GEs. I listen to a lot of acoustic music and the GEs just make acoustic instruments and voices sound so real and living to me. Bottom line, it comes down to your preferences and what kind of music you listen to.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments