IGNORED

T+a dac 8 dsd

36 minutes ago, OE333 said:

I think we are talking about 2 different things here:

1.) The "faint pop noise" which @louisxiawei mentioned. This occurs only with few DACs. If your DAC is affected,  this problem can be solved by a firmware update. The normal way to get this update installed on your DAC is to contact your T+A dealer or contact T+A service dept.

[Note: If you don't want to give your DAC to a dealer or send it to T+A service, you might alternatively consider option no. 2 below.]

Yes. I am talking about the above.

Ok, I emailed the US rep for T+A. Currently, only T+A Germany can do the update for now. He is working with the service department in Germany to get the US repair shop the tools they need to do the update here in the US. May take a few weeks.

Once ready, I'll be sending my unit to Georgia for the update. Peace of mind = easier path.

Thanks all.

Software: HQPlayer | JRiver | Fidelizer Pro | Roon | Qobuz

Music Server: i7 6700K (Windows 10) | DAC: T+A DAC8 DSD, Marantz SA 14S-1, Schitt Yggdrasil | Preamp: DIY AMB alpha24 Fully-differential line amp | Amp: DIY M3 Balanced or DIY Tube Amp (2A3-300B) | Headphone: Shure SRH-1840, Audeze LCD-X, AKG K-501, Sennheiser HD600, HD800 | Speakers: Klipsch Heresey III

On 10/30/2018 at 8:01 AM, Daveyu said:

just acquired the t&a 8 dad dad

can anyone suggest an off the shelf mini noiseless windows machine that can host roon and hqplayer to upsample to dsd512?

available to the uk 

Might be a tricky ask given the computing grunt required for the conversion.

I have a T&A DAC8 DSD.
In order to upsample any rate to DSD512 with HQPlayer xtr filters, I have server based on 6700K with a new ASUS DUAL RTX 2080 (CPU load 35-40%, GPU 70%). A powerful graphics card is required to facilitate the highest conversion rates with the extreme filters. I then feed this to an HQPlayer NAA endpoint on a silent Streacom FC5 alpha case based PC which is in the living room! (Before the RTX 2080, I had a 960GTX which was OK on DSD256 but stuttered on DSD512).

I recommend using a small silent machine as an endpoint and a grunty server in the basement!!

Good luck. :)

Roon / JRiver with Audiolense XO -> Chord Hugo TT2 -> Cyrus Mono x200 Signatures -> Audiovector Si3 Avantgarde Arretes

On 11/6/2018 at 9:59 AM, eternaloptimist said:

I have a T&A DAC8 DSD.
In order to upsample any rate to DSD512 with HQPlayer xtr filters, I have server based on 6700K with a new ASUS DUAL RTX 2080 (CPU load 35-40%, GPU 70%). A powerful graphics card is required to facilitate the highest conversion rates with the extreme filters. I then feed this to an HQPlayer NAA endpoint on a silent Streacom FC5 alpha case based PC which is in the living room! (Before the RTX 2080, I had a 960GTX which was OK on DSD256 but stuttered on DSD512).

I recommend using a small silent machine as an endpoint and a grunty server in the basement!!

Thanks makes good sense

On 11/6/2018 at 4:59 PM, eternaloptimist said:

I have a T&A DAC8 DSD.

Hi eternaloptimist,

To clarify my understanding with you, your system (flow) looks something like this:

Powerful server (6700K + RTX2080 with HQP) >>> NAA Endpoint (Silent PC) >>> T+A.

Am I right? Correct me if I am wrong.
Also If I may ask, are you using LAN based connection, or wireless (2.4GHz/5GHz) between Server and Endpoint?

Kind regards

20 hours ago, FatalethaL said:

Hi eternaloptimist,

To clarify my understanding with you, your system (flow) looks something like this:

Powerful server (6700K + RTX2080 with HQP) >>> NAA Endpoint (Silent PC) >>> T+A.

Am I right? Correct me if I am wrong.
Also If I may ask, are you using LAN based connection, or wireless (2.4GHz/5GHz) between Server and Endpoint?

Kind regards

The system is exactly as you outlined. The server is in the study and is pretty quiet, actually.

The endpoint is a silent Windows 10 PC in the living room with the HiFi system. It runs the HQPlayer NAA.

Connected via LAN ethernet connection. Have tried via wifi and was fine also.

Cheers,

Roon / JRiver with Audiolense XO -> Chord Hugo TT2 -> Cyrus Mono x200 Signatures -> Audiovector Si3 Avantgarde Arretes

47 minutes ago, MhtLion said:

For those who has T+A DAC 8, could someone please check for me if the label for the power in the back says 230v or 110v?  I'm trying to figure out if I can buy it used from a guy from Europe or not.  He thinks it may not work with 110v in U.S. Thanks!

Yes, mine has silk print saying 230V. It has linear PSU, so the transformer ratio matters...

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

On 11/10/2018 at 12:43 AM, eternaloptimist said:

The system is exactly as you outlined. The server is in the study and is pretty quiet, actually.

The endpoint is a silent Windows 10 PC in the living room with the HiFi system. It runs the HQPlayer NAA.

Connected via LAN ethernet connection. Have tried via wifi and was fine also.

Cheers,

If I have the NAA endpoint in the listening room with the dac where my router also is, how would the server connect to the network

apart from wifi

4 hours ago, Daveyu said:

If I have the NAA endpoint in the listening room with the dac where my router also is, how would the server connect to the network

apart from wifi

If you didn't want to rely on Wi-Fi (and I wouldn't want to) you would have to run a wired connection to your server.

CAPS Pipeline with HDPlex Linear PSU running Win10 64 bit, AO 2.0, RoonServer, HQPlayer -> T+A DAC8 DSD -> Linear Tube Audio's MicroZOTL2 Headphone Amp with Mojo Audio's Illuminati Linear PSU -> Focal Utopia/Audeze LCD-3

For newer buildings at least here it is standard to have all rooms wired with CAT6/CAT7 Ethernet instead of old telephone cables. That is the case for our house too, CAT6 running inside walls to wall sockets next to mains. Just like in office buildings too.

One solution is to pull old TV coax cables out replacing those with Ethernet cables. TV is dead, right? ;) (I never watch TV and all the content/TV is available as internet streams anyway)

Another option for older buildings is to use powerline networking, but it is usually not audiophile favorite due to amount of RF noise it puts on mains...

13 hours ago, EdmontonCanuck said:

If you didn't want to rely on Wi-Fi (and I wouldn't want to) you would have to run a wired connection to your server.

This. When we designed our house, I made sure to have multiple cat6 runs between the server "room" (AKA study) and the living room.

On 11/15/2018 at 3:24 PM, Daveyu said:

apart from wifi

Can someone point me in the direction of how to setup HQPlayer NAA endpoint on mini windows pc

6 hours ago, Daveyu said:

Can someone point me in the direction of how to setup HQPlayer NAA endpoint on mini windows pc

Assuming you have Windows running, you download and extract the ZIP. Then you copy/move networkaudiod.exe either from 32-bit or 64-bit folder up one level, depending on your OS. You can then check the startup .bat file and adjust name of the NAA if you want. Then launch the thing using the .bat file. And that's it.

For most minimal with default settings, you just start the networkaudiod.exe directly.

59 minutes ago, Miska said:

Assuming you have Windows running, you download and extract the ZIP. Then you copy/move networkaudiod.exe either from 32-bit or 64-bit folder up one level, depending on your OS. You can then check the startup .bat file and adjust name of the NAA if you want. Then launch the thing using the .bat file. And that's it.

For most minimal with default settings, you just start the networkaudiod.exe directly.

Many thanks for this

On 10/23/2018 at 7:09 PM, Vitor said:

How does this dac perform connected to a sotm sms200 Ultra / txUSB Ultra?

Anyone using this combo can comment?

Thanks.

I have this setup and have found that hqplayer will not output native dsd128 to the dac, despite sotm 200 supporting native dsd to

128 with the t&a 8

15 hours ago, Daveyu said:

I have this setup and have found that hqplayer will not output native dsd128 to the dac, despite sotm 200 supporting native dsd to

128 with the t&a 8

AFAIK no Linux devices (including sMS-200) support native DSD to DAC8 DSD unless you flash experimental firmware to your DAC...

DoP works though, up to DSD128.

28 minutes ago, Daveyu said:

I believe you but sotm website says t&a dad is supported

If you mean the one that says "-V2.0"? Possibly something that has never shipped so far. That points to the new Amanero firmware that is not yet ready for prime time. You could ask them if they actually tested the listed devices on their side.

54 minutes ago, Daveyu said:

I believe you but sotm website says t&a dad is supported

As @Miska has already indicated SOtM sMS-200 is a Linux source, read this post and not SOtM website :

On 10/24/2018 at 5:25 PM, OE333 said:

2.) The other thing is DSD512 from a Linux based source. The DAC8DSD does not officially support Linux as operating system for the source. However: with a recent Linux kernel (> 4.15) the DAC8DSD will work with PCM up to 192kSps and DSD up to DSD128 (DoP mode).

For higher sample rates under Linux there is currently no official support. Amanero works on DSD512 compatibility for the USB receiver but this is still work in progress and only beta firmware versions are available directly from Amanero.

For those who want to experiment with the latest Amanero firmware on their DAC8DSD, it exists the possibility to install a firmware on the DAC8DSD which "opens" the DAC and  then permits to flash any USB receiver firmware (experimental or stable) from the Amanero repository on the DAC8DSD USB receiver chips.

After flashing the USB receiver with original Amanero firmware, the original Amanero Windows driver has to be used instead of the Windows driver from the T+A website.

Note: The Amanero Windows driver is functional identical to the T+A driver it only uses the standard VID/PID from Amanero instead of the T+A VID/PID.

So it is up to you. If you want to experiment (especially with DSD512 and Linux) use option 2, otherwise go the official way.

ROON > HQPlayer > USBridge > T+A DAC8 DSD > NAD M22 (Ncore Hypex) > Harbeth SLH5+
Setup details