IGNORED

T+a dac 8 dsd

36 minutes ago, bibo01 said:

He said that code integrating is pretty straight forward.

Good news again !

But i presume when FW integration is ready from Amanero,  a lot of tests are required (possibly involving T+A ) and then an update process to be set ... So end of story is not yet here.

ROON > HQPlayer > USBridge > T+A DAC8 DSD > NAD M22 (Ncore Hypex) > Harbeth SLH5+
Setup details

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, volpone said:

Hi @bibo01, any AMANERO weekly call about Linux FW status planned ?

Thank's for the head-up ;)

hope is the mother of all things :)

PC audio /Roon + HQPLAYER / HOLO Spring 2 / / DIY AD1 SET tube amp  /  DIY Altec 2 way horn Speaker

2 questions for every T+A DAC8 DSD owner that is using HQP to do the DSD512 thing

After about 6 months of fiddling with HQP settings I gave up and am now back to just plain simple PCM without any upsampling or converting in software and using the Bezier-interpolator plus IIR-filter (= bezier ovs with the blue light).

I just can’t seem to get DSD512 to sound right. Individual instruments or voices are nice in DSD512 but some sort of cohesion or atmosphere is lost.

It could well be that I just have not found the right settings yet so I would like to know which setting others are using and experiment a bit with HQP again.

Question 1: When was the last time you shutdown HQP and listened without any upsampling or converting in software?

If it has been a long time please try it and tell us what you think, do you hear the cohesion or atmosphere I am talking about

If it helps you could even pretend it is some new XXX filter in HQP 3.179_9

Question 2: which settings do you use in HQP? (please post a screenshot of the HQP settings tab)

these are mine

Schermafbeelding 2017-05-27 om 22.34.25.png

Pink Faun Streamer —>  Pink Faun DAC --> Ayre AX5 --> Paradigm S8 

2 hours ago, m3lraaHnevetS said:

After about 6 months of fiddling with HQP settings I gave up and am now back to just plain simple PCM without any upsampling or converting in software and using the Bezier-interpolator plus IIR-filter (= bezier ovs with the blue light).

Question 2: which settings do you use in HQP? (please post a screenshot of the HQP settings tab)

Schermafbeelding 2017-05-27 om 22.34.25.png

Your HQPlayer settings are as different from the settings you use with the DAC's built in upsampling (technically it is still software, just running inside the DAC) as settings possibly could be... Total opposites, no wonder you get different sound.

"polynomial2" in HQPlayer is closest to the Bezier-interpolator in T+A. Or from the ones available for DSD oversampling maybe poly-sinc-mqa or minringFIR.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

11 hours ago, Miska said:

Your HQPlayer settings are as different from the settings you use with the DAC's built in upsampling (technically it is still software, just running inside the DAC) as settings possibly could be... Total opposites, no wonder you get different sound.

"polynomial2" in HQPlayer is closest to the Bezier-interpolator in T+A. Or from the ones available for DSD oversampling maybe poly-sinc-mqa or minringFIR.

Thank you Jussi, I will try the suggested filters/oversampling

On 5/27/2017 at 4:03 PM, volpone said:

Hi @bibo01, any AMANERO weekly call about Linux FW status planned ?

Thank's for the head-up ;)

UPDATE -

I just spoke to Amanero. He is really close. His T&A DAC is all opened and he's trying the new code on it. There is still something little to be fixed for which he is in touch with T&A tech dept.

1 hour ago, bibo01 said:

UPDATE -

I just spoke to Amanero. He is really close. His T&A DAC is all opened and he's trying the new code on it. There is still something little to be fixed for which he is in touch with T&A tech dept.

Thank's a lot @bibo01, again !

ROON > HQPlayer > USBridge > T+A DAC8 DSD > NAD M22 (Ncore Hypex) > Harbeth SLH5+
Setup details

7 hours ago, bibo01 said:

UPDATE -

Does this mean that we're going to have to physically open up our T+A's to upgrade the FW? That doesn't sound warranty-friendly.

CAPS Pipeline with HDPlex Linear PSU running Win10 64 bit, AO 2.0, RoonServer, HQPlayer -> T+A DAC8 DSD -> Linear Tube Audio's MicroZOTL2 Headphone Amp with Mojo Audio's Illuminati Linear PSU -> Focal Utopia/Audeze LCD-3

14 hours ago, EdmontonCanuck said:

Does this mean that we're going to have to physically open up our T+A's to upgrade the FW? That doesn't sound warranty-friendly.

I had a chat with a T+A technical guy on Munich HighEnd show last week about this topic. Here in brief the most interesting things:

1.) T+A is really working with Amanero on this topic

2.) The T+A USB receiver hardware is identical to Amanero

3.) Any Amanero firmware will run on the DAC8DSD (so in principle any of the new versions could be flashed into the DAC8DSD)

4.) Currently T+A uses Amanero firmware 1096c and CPLD version 1080. According to T+A these give the best results.

5.) T+A is currently testing new Amanero firmware versions and will release them as soon as everything works flawlessly.

6.) Now the tricky part: How to upgrade existing DAC8DSD ? T+A recommends to send them in for firmware upgrade. This would be the "official" way.

Can it be done by the user without sending the DAC8 in ?

In principle: yes - but....

The "but" is this: for re-flashing the firmware you need to have access to the Amanero firmware server with the T+A log-in credentials. T+A is not willing to disclose these (as T+A has to pay license fees for each programming).

So there is no access to the original T+A/Amanero firmware.

But  [see 1.) and 2.) above]  the original Amanero firmware could be used. This would mean the T+A DAC would be seen as an Amanero device by the computer. This is because re-flashing with with the Amanero original firmware would re-program the USB VID and PID to the Amanero standard values in stead of the T+A PID/VID for DAC8DSD. So the T+A drivers for DAC8DSD will not work any more and the original Amanero drivers will have to be installed on the PC (at least on Windows PCs - no idea what will happen with Linux based sources).

HowTo reprogram

The "official" way is described in this T+A document T+A RS232 Interface document for DAC8DSD

But I got hold of T+A Service Document S_0133 describing a "quick and dirty" way to erase the USB receiver firmware. After erasing the USB receiver is in a virgin state meaning that now any Amanero firmware can be flashed into it.

14 hours ago, RS241 said:

6.) Now the tricky part: How to upgrade existing DAC8DSD ? T+A recommends to send them in for firmware upgrade. This would be the "official" way.

Does this mean "send them in to your dealer, perhaps in the UK" OR ""send them to Germany"?

LMS on Odroid XU4; HQPlayer on i7-8700; iFi iGalvanic; T+A DAC 8 DSD; Benchmark AHB2; Quad ESL 2805s + two Acoustic Energy subs.

11 hours ago, m3lraaHnevetS said:

I was told by T+A it has to go back to the factory. I am in the Netherlands so sending it to Germany is not a big deal for me, maybe there will be other options for other countries. 

I am in Australia.... sending the DAC back to Germany is a huge deal....

Roon / JRiver with Audiolense XO -> Chord Hugo TT2 -> Cyrus Mono x200 Signatures -> Audiovector Si3 Avantgarde Arretes

10 hours ago, eternaloptimist said:

I am in Australia.... sending the DAC back to Germany is a huge deal....

Yeah, that's a bit of a bummer. I'm in Canada, so not thrilled about having to send it back to Europe for an upgrade. Perhaps something can be worked out with the Canadian dealer I bought it from, but I'm not sure what's in it for them exactly.

CAPS Pipeline with HDPlex Linear PSU running Win10 64 bit, AO 2.0, RoonServer, HQPlayer -> T+A DAC8 DSD -> Linear Tube Audio's MicroZOTL2 Headphone Amp with Mojo Audio's Illuminati Linear PSU -> Focal Utopia/Audeze LCD-3

4 minutes ago, EdmontonCanuck said:

Perhaps something can be worked out with the Canadian dealer I bought it from, but I'm not sure what's in it for them exactly.

Deleted.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/31/2017 at 5:44 PM, volpone said:

Thank's a lot @bibo01, again !

UPDATE -

I spoke to Amanero. He obtains DSD512, but he has to solve a slight clock problem that still happens at that frequency with the on-board processor. Contrary to Windows, Linux requires to know precise timing and that involves more processing. Anyhow, he is sure he is going to solve it. As soon as he does it, he will release everything. Also T&A is pressuring him on this. 

• 2 weeks later...

Good luck to all DAC8 DSD users trying to convince themselves upsampling to DSD512 is the way to go!

I am abandoning ship... bought a Pink Faun DAC 2.32 and (hopefully) will live happily ever after doing just plain old redbook and foot-tapping again now that life is back into the music. pfff nearly got me there... just using your T+A to do redbook is OK too but the Pink Faun DAC together with their XLR cable is something special (in the 5K range). so yeah rock on

22 minutes ago, eternaloptimist said:

I must admit, I am enjoying listening with PCM upsampled in JRiver to PCM352 when I can't be bothered with the Roon/HQPlayer etc. DSD chain!

From your hears JRIVER upsampling (PCM352) is quite different from ROON PCM upsampling ?

Setup details