IGNORED

Who are You Going to See?

Saw them both, along with Springsteen, Tracy Chapman and Youssou N'Dour a long time ago. Great show.

Last night was a fun, albeit lightweight show. There were essentially 3 lineups: PG's band all dressed in black and red, including stalwart Tony Levin on bass; Sting's band in blue including keyboard wiz David Sancious (formerly of the early E Street Band, some LPs of both PG & Sting), and the combined group 13 strong with 3 drummers, 3 keys and many voices. The format was mostly the big hits alternated between the lead singers, with a couple of surprises including PG performing If You Love Somebody Set Them Free and Sting doing the opening to Dancing With The Moonlit Knight from Selling England By The Pound. Being a huge Gabriel fan and more lukewarm on Sting, one pleasant surprise for me was a rocking violin jam reminiscent of a Zappa show during Driven to Tears that was greeted by huge ovation from the stunned crowd. Most moving of all were the PG dynamic pieces including opener Rhythm of the Heat, In Your Eyes and encore Sledgehammer; thunder abounding!

Something for everybody, tix priced accordingly.

Digital Source: Synology DS415+ NAS  and Small Green Computer SonicTransporter i5 Running Roon Core > Blue Jean Cable Cat6a >TP optical converter > Sonore OpticalRendu with Sonore LPS> Curious USB > Denafrips Pontus DAC

Analog Source: Dynavector XX2 mk2> Audiomods Series 5 silver arm > Sota Nova Series VI turntable w/Condor & Roadrunner motor controller/tachometer > Nagra BPS battery powered phono stage>

Both: BAT VK51SE preamp> Krell FPB300 power amp > Sound Lab A3 ESLs > > Custom room treatment > 50 yr. old ears(left-handed)

Okay, now I'm jealous! ;) Adams and Carlile are terrific, but I think the performance you are going to be blown away by is Alabama Shakes. Brittany Howard has an amazing presence and passion.

Have fun!

--Alex C.

Yeah, should be cool - they're the only band I haven't seen out of the three. Hopefully the weather's good since we've got lawn seats!

Bill

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

Mac Mini->Roon + Tidal->KEF LS50W

This Friday, July 1st, seeing Richard Thompson perform solo acoustic at Caramoor, an outdoor concert space in the Hudson Valley, in one of their smaller venues (500 seats).

This will be my second time attending an RT solo concert, and much looking forward to...

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Music is love, made audible.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Last night I went to the Dead and Company concert at Folsum Field in Boulder. My last Dead concert was in a previous life in 1981 and I haven't bothered with any other rendition since Jerry died. I was dubious, but a friend convinced me we should go.

First off, the sound quality was quite good for a stadium show... typical Dead commitment to good sound. Video screens added a nice touch in comparison to the concerts of old.

John Mayer on lead guitar was incredibly impressive… he did not disappoint me a bit! He obviously has great respect for the Grateful Dead legacy and walked the fine line of tradition versus individual freedom quite well. He supplied many of the vocals, and frankly has a better voice than Jerry on his best day (meaning no disrespect). His guitar work was absolutely phenomenal.

Oteil Burbridge on bass did a very fine job as well (taking the place of Phil Lesh who is battling cancer). Jeff Chimenti definitely knows his way around the keyboards and has played with Bob Weir for many years. The remaining old guard of Wier, Kreutzmann, and Hart still have it after all these years.

The Dead are back and as good or better than ever! Made the legacy live on.

(Next up, Metheny at Chautauqua in Boulder in September)

Mac Mini (mid 2010) Yosemite, Audirvana Plus v 3.0 > Mapleshade ClearLink Plus USB > UpTone REGEN (Amber) w/LPS-1 > Peachtree nova150 > PSB Imagine T / REL R328 and so on...

If considering Andrew Bird and you like him, I would steer you to the guy playing bass in his band right now Alan Hampton. Check out his music.

Thanks, I'll soon search for it :)

And have a try of the following couple of examples, full-sets from reputable YouTube provider/Channels whereby the recorded-band-sound (and cameras captures) isn't as good as WFUV above ?

«

an accurate picture

Sono pessimista con l'intelligenza,

ma ottimista per la volontà.

severe loudspeaker alignment »

The Dead are back and as good or better than ever! Made the legacy

Glad to hear it was good live! Listened to Sunday's show on XM Radio and it sounded great. Loved the song selection, too. Seeing them this Thursday at the outdoor amphitheater in Detroit. Woohoo! Lawn seats, the only way to go to. A Dead show!

I saw John Mayer and his band there about 7-8 years ago. Yeah, the kid can play. Glad he's fitting in to the whole vibe!

• 2 months later...
Richard Thompson, Ruthie Foster and many more - Sisters Folk Festival - Sisters OR -

This September

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26188[/ATTACH]

What a great weekend festival. Shawn Mullins was my favorite act of the week, however many fine artists performed at Five Pines including The Nathaniel Talbot Band and The Good Time Travelers. For an outdoor venue the vibe is very intimate and the sound crew is very meticulous. Each band we saw complemented them for allowing them to focus on giving a great performance and not having to worry about the sound.

iMac > NAD C388 Integrated with BluOS module > Linn Keilidh

• 2 weeks later...

Should have posted this before, as we already went but...saw the New York Philharmonic last week for opening night of their 175th season. Pieces featured included a premiere of John Corigliano ("Stomp"), Gershwin's Piano Concerto in F, and Dvorak's New World Symphony.

The soloist on the Gershwin piece, Aaron Diehl, was spectacular- he went to high school in my hometown (graduated the same year as I). I saw him perform several times at school events before he went on to Juilliard, and it is great to see his continued success. The other pieces were well done, and sound quality in the venue was good even though our seats were perhaps not as optimal (right hand side of the auditorium well back from the stage).

Finishing off the evening after the concert with some pizza and wine in Little Italy was a nice conclusion to our trip of a few days in the city.

Office: iPod classic/iPad -> Shure SE425 IEM Home: Oppo BDP-83/Synology DS211j -> Integra DTR-7.8 -> Revel speakers

ACL Musicfest the next two weekends but I am only going weekend 2...Radiohead, Cage the Elephant, Mumford & Sons and many, many others.

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear RAX43 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBTouch ->SABAJ A10d->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: iPeng (iPad Air & iPhone); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: iPhone 12 ProMax & Radio Paradise or NAS streaming; Sony NWZ ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  

Wow, that sounds great! Where is it?

ACL: Austin City Limits

3 days/7 stages in Zilker Park near downtown Austin: ACL Music Festival – Sept. 30-Oct. 2 & Oct. 7-9, 2016 | Zilker Park, Austin, Texas

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear RAX43 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBTouch ->SABAJ A10d->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: iPeng (iPad Air & iPhone); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: iPhone 12 ProMax & Radio Paradise or NAS streaming; Sony NWZ ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  

• 2 weeks later...