IGNORED

Who are You Going to See?

9 hours ago, austinpop said:

He seems to be more a head-banger than a Mahlerian, wouldn't you say? 9_9

More of the Mahler in Chains type ;)

By the way, I found this an interesting quote from Muti.  "The next time you go to a concert and see a conductor who moves more than is necessary, and opens his mouth like a shark, you have to boo"

http://slippedisc.com/2015/10/riccardo-muti-a-conductor-who-moves-more-than-is-necessary-you-have-to-boo/

On 5/17/2018 at 2:31 PM, Musicophile said:

Lisa Batiatishvili playing Brahms violin concerto next week with Antonio Pappano and the Chamber Orchestra of Europe.

Here’s the report:

https://musicophilesblog.com/2018/05/24/lisa-batiashvili-playing-brahms-at-tonhalle-zurich-fantastic/

44 minutes ago, Musicophile said:

Great report! I agree with you that we live in a golden age of outstanding female violin virtuosi.

While not female, and as easy on the male eye, what's your view of Leonidas Kavakos? I have only seen him on the Berlin Philharmonic Digital Concert performing Sibelius, I believe, but this guy is amazing.

4 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

Yuja could use a bit more clothing when performing. Not that I'm complaining, but she looks really cold and I feel bad for her ;)

Maybe that’s why I often don’t like her style. She’s simply cold and wants to get the thing over with ASAP....

2 hours ago, rodrigaj said:

Yuja Wang...forget her taste in clothing. Have a listen to this:

556999563_ScreenShot2018-05-25at9_40_27AM.thumb.jpg.b1e37ae3a162988e3937219b1c6f6312.jpg

https://tidal.com/album/77696636

I hope I'm not offending anybody, but the combination of Wang and Dudamel kind of sums up for me what's quite often wrong in recent history of classical music, essentially hype over substance (or in other words, I have yet to hear a recording from any of the two that I like). 

But then, de gustibus non est dispudandum. 

36 minutes ago, Musicophile said:

I hope I'm not offending anybody, but the combination of Wang and Dudamel kind of sums up for me what's quite often wrong in recent history of classical music, essentially hype over substance (or in other words, I have yet to hear a recording from any of the two that I like). 

I tend to agree. I first discovered Dudamel through a series Beethoven symphonies on medici.tv. He didn't impress me, I'm afraid. I've not heard Wang and Dudamel together, but I'll check out Rachmaninov's 3rd since it's recommended and happens to be one of my most beloved pieces.

4 hours ago, rodrigaj said:

Yuja Wang...forget her taste in clothing. Have a listen to this:

556999563_ScreenShot2018-05-25at9_40_27AM.thumb.jpg.b1e37ae3a162988e3937219b1c6f6312.jpg

https://tidal.com/album/77696636

2 hours ago, Musicophile said:

I saw Yuja perform at Ravinia last year, I've listened to most if not all of her recorded performances and several YouTube videos.  I find her emotionally inspired performances refreshing.  She's also easy on the eyes ;) I don't think she loses any technique by drawing from emotion and creating emphasis.  I find it inspirational.  Similar are the performances of Lang Lang.

I don't think a performer must be reserved to be good.  Nor do I believe that in a conductor.  I was recently sharing my experience of seeing Salonen conduct the CSO.  He evoked a different sound from the orchestra than Muti.  I don't think it was better or worse, but it was different and the crowd responded to it positively.

2 minutes ago, Johnseye said:

I saw Yuja perform at Ravinia last year, I've listened to most if not all of her recorded performances and several YouTube videos.  I find her emotionally inspired performances refreshing.  She's also easy on the eyes ;) I don't think she loses any technique by drawing from emotion and creating emphasis.  I find it inspirational.  Similar are the performances of Lang Lang.

I don't think a performer must be reserved to be good.  Nor do I believe that in a conductor.  I was recently sharing my experience of seeing Salonen conduct the CSO.  He evoked a different sound from the orchestra than Muti.  I don't think it was better or worse, but it was different and the crowd responded to it positively.

As @Musicophile said, there's no sense in arguing about tastes, but I do find both, Wang and Lang lacking real emotional depth. Wang has a better technique of the two, but even listening to her Rachmaninov's 3rd I felt mostly uninspired. Dudamel makes some strange tempo choices that are not only unexpected, but to me, break up the coherence of the composition at some critical points in the concerto. And a minor nit (I'm guessing here) it sounded like Wang was playing a Yamaha. To me a Yamaha has a more jazzy timbre, a bit brighter and less 'weighty' than a Steinway. But that could just sound like that due to how it was recorded.

I don't mean to sound so negative, the 3rd concerto was actually very professionally performed. It just didn't hit all the right 'notes' for me on the emotional side...

3 hours ago, Musicophile said:

I do not remember any recording with Dudamel which I liked. And I like most of Yuja Wang recordings which I heard. In this particular recording Wang and Dudamel match is very far from perfect, seems like DG just trying to sell two of their important investments in one package. Yuja is really good in Prokofiev. Her performance in Rach is hit and miss. Dudamel doesn't help much. 

Yesterday we took our kids to their first gig. It was a family-friendly fair and festival in the park, but just in case we took earplugs for everybody. The music was blaring away from all the different stages, and the resulting cacophony was absolutely ridiculous.

It was the first I wore earplugs and I'm glad I did.

Close to us were a couple of morons with their parents and a week old infant, no ear protection in sight. How idiotic can people get.

I hadn't listened to James since the late nineties and only saw them once live in '93. They played a lot of the old hits and I'd say they're still worth seeing and listening to, even with low-pass filters.

Their new stuff was mostly political anti-Trump stuff.

Sound was OK in quality, and the other noise-sources had been closed when the band hit the stage. It was a nice for a family outing, I guess...

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

• 4 weeks later...