IGNORED

wtfplay

sligolad

On ‎16‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 8:59 AM, AnotherSpin said:

Thank you for comment. I've been using HQ Player for at least two or three years, followed this product through its various development stages, and used most of the settings and their combinations thoroughly. I believe I knew which settings work nicely in my system(s). I also experimented with settings in Amarra Symphony and its later incarnations and Audirvana Plus as well, including additional room correction components, etc. for a long time. Wtf player still have some things in its sound which make this player stand well against named players. There is still some time required for coming to intermediate conclusions. Maybe I need to overcome my initial wtf excitement...)

Interesting. What HQPlayer settings are you using and what music tracks are you listening to when you hear this improvement versus WTFplayer?

TIA

🎸🎶🏔️🐺

2 hours ago, blue2 said:

Interesting. What HQPlayer settings are you using and what music tracks are you listening to when you hear this improvement versus WTFplayer?

TIA

I am comparing my general listening experience. Two or thee years of HQP vs. two weeks of wtf-player. During my time with HQP I tried almost all possible combinations of settings. Most of the time I was upsampling all tracks to DSD. Recently I used poly-sinc-xtr in SDM settings, but I tried many others as well. 

HQP works well with very good quality recordings. If I play such, I hear lot of micro-details, there is transparency, air, the sound is clean and smooth. It brings well most of information from the source files and presents it nicely. However, most of middle quality recordings sound not so well. Harsh, thin, artificial. For example, rips of 70s rock music CDs are not ok as a rule with some seldom exceptions. Archive recordings sounds painful almost every time.

Wtf-player sounds well through most of the music I play. From recent hi-rez or DSD files all the way back to pre-war opera or chamber music. The sound would be not so sharp or transparent in comparison with HQP, but it gives the other league impression of naturalness and musicality, body and richness. It shines with PCM. Archive recordings are alive. CD rips are great again.

It makes no sense to compare interface, HQP is a software player with options and possibilities and wtf-player is just a command line in a close to nothing environment. I definitely feel well with latter, but I could imagine somebody will not be able to stay there without a slightest effort.

When I was listening to HQP I was listening to the sound, with wtf-player I listen to the music.

@jmmbarco: Unfortunately not at the moment.

Right now you have two options with the screen resolution (and the visible font size). If you boot in BIOS mode, they you will see the the old-school 80 columns - 25 lines text mode. If you boot in UEFI mode, then the screen resolution will be higher and the screen will fit more lines/columns. The exact screen resolution will depend on the firmware in your PC. In my laptop the UEFI boot mode provides 1024x786 screen resolution and that translates into 128 columns and 48 lines.

Font is ok on the tv screen connected to mac mini in my case.

Fryderyk, I am enjoying your player. In a recent days I was comparing kernel 24 from wtfplay-live-0.6.2-corei7 and kernel 26 from wtfplay-live-0.6.2-corei7-avx. Well, even though 26 impressed me much initially, I think 24 sounds better in my Mac OsX. Thank you!

I did a short try with latest 0.6.2 i7-avx ... I noticed a couple of different behaviour compared to 0.6.0 I extensively used during last year:

- SD card isn't mounted, even with <fdisk -l> SD isn't on the list

- same issue with one of internal SSD disk (I've two). The first one is seen and mounted, the other one isn't mounted and not in the list

Any clue?

Have a nice day. Massimiliano

On 9/4/2017 at 9:03 PM, frd__ said:

Massimiliano, please try lsblk command and let me know if you see your SD card and hard disks there.

Thanks for support.

Yesterday I did a sort of "serious" listening session and I have to admit that latest 0.6.2 i7-avx is a beautiful sounding package. I removed the speakers grilles, put the amp in high-power output and I run in a sequence of well known tracks ... Most of them are Rock live recondings with bad quality but at the end wtfplay is capable to present them as a true live event, no harshness and a focus and stability of the executors on stage really astonishing. Jazz vocalists 3D presence is amazing, I didn't notice digital sign especially on voices.

Well done. Have a nice day. Massimiliano

System = HP zBook 2 i7-4940xm, fully customized DAC on JLSounds base, ASR Emitter I Exlusive, Wilson SophiaII

Unfortunately I do not have access to mac mini.

In alsamixer OO means that the control is open, MM means that the control is muted. You can highlight the muted S/PDIF and unmute it with M key.

Another thing that you may want to try is to see what devices your card is offering. You can use aplay -l command for that. If you see your TOSLINK there, then you can specify the output device as hw:X,Y, where X is the card number and Y is the device number. For example you may use hw:0,1. Normally if you  do not specify Y then it is zero, so hw:0 is equivalent to hw:0,0.

Here is a small example of my laptop, when I want to stream the music over HDMI:

$ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 0: CX20590 Analog [CX20590 Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 7: HDMI 1 [HDMI 1]
card 0: PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 8: HDMI 2 [HDMI 2]

$ wtfplay -d hw:0,3 ~/Music/HeyNow.wav 

Hope that it helps.

F

Hi Fryderyk,

I tried aplay -l and it shows digital output from mac mini:

card:0 PCH [HDA Intel PCH], device 1: CS4206 Digital [CS4206 Digital]

but, when I try to run command line with -d hw:0,1 /media/ etc. there is no sound

Update:

I found the way to play it! In alsamixer all S/PDIF columns should be enabled (the last one from five was MM, and the very last column 'auto-mute' should be disabled. Now music play through wtf-play and optic cable.

Hi Fryderyk, I've been following AnotherSpin's efforts to get wtfplay working via Toslink with some success and the sound is good. I'm using optical connection direct from my motherboard to Chord Hugo TT and get excellent results from 16/44.1 up to 24/96 but I can't any sound for 24/192. Chord specify that the dac will work for 24/192 via Toslink. Maybe you have some ideas to try. Best regards,KM