IGNORED

Recommendations for amp to pair with B&W DM603 S3s

I am planning to again start using my B&W DM603 S3s (old, I know, but I have always enjoyed them).

My Rotel finally bit the dust after many years of service.

I am starting to do my own research, but thought I would see if anyone has a suggestion for a capable, but good-value-for-money amp to use with these speakers. I really don't know anything about amps/receivers.

Here are the specs from an old Stereophile review B&W DM603 S3 loudspeaker | Stereophile.com:

Description: "2½"-way vented-box loudspeaker. Drive-units: 1" (25mm) aluminum-dome tweeter, 6.5" (165mm) woven-Kevlar cone bass/midrange, 6.5" (165mm) aluminum-cone woofer. Crossover frequencies: 150Hz, 4kHz. Frequency response: 44Hz–22kHz, ±3dB on reference axis. Frequency range: –6dB at 34Hz and 42kHz. Dispersion within 2dB of response on reference axis: over 40° arc horizontal, over 10° arc vertical. Sensitivity: 90dB/2.83V/m. Impedance: 8 ohms nominal, 3 ohms minimum. Power handling: 25–150W into 8 ohms on unclipped program. Harmonic distortion: second and third harmonics, <1%, 55Hz–20kHz (90dB SPL, 1m). Maximum recommended cable impedance: 0.1 ohm.

Thanks!

Office desktop: iMac ((Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015) (4 GHz Intel Core i7) (512GB SSD) (32GB Ram)) => USB (Kimber Kable USB Silver) => V-Link 192 USB Input => V-Link Coax Output (AQ Sidewinder) => Schiit Bifrost Multibit Coax Input => Schiit Bifrost Multibit RCA Output => Schitt Pyst => Schitt Asgard 2 => (Audioquest - Mini-3) => Audioengine HD6 (slave connected with Audioquest Type 4 cable) (Pangea AC-14 Power Cord) (IsoAcoustic L8R155 stands) => Audioquest Sidewinders => Audioengine S8 Subwoofer

Options are endless- some people might call me a heretic but for me the greatest value would be the Emotiva mini-x a-100. For just over 200UsD this amp will make your B&Ws sing. Only downside it only have one input. You could also explore the used market for used NAD, Marantz, Rega, Rotel etc etc. Plenty of options under 1k.

Anyone have any experience with the Schiit Ragnorak?

Office desktop: iMac ((Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015) (4 GHz Intel Core i7) (512GB SSD) (32GB Ram)) => USB (Kimber Kable USB Silver) => V-Link 192 USB Input => V-Link Coax Output (AQ Sidewinder) => Schiit Bifrost Multibit Coax Input => Schiit Bifrost Multibit RCA Output => Schitt Pyst => Schitt Asgard 2 => (Audioquest - Mini-3) => Audioengine HD6 (slave connected with Audioquest Type 4 cable) (Pangea AC-14 Power Cord) (IsoAcoustic L8R155 stands) => Audioquest Sidewinders => Audioengine S8 Subwoofer

The DM603 S3 specs indicate: "Power handling: 25–150W into 8 ohms on unclipped program."

Do I need to stay in the 25-150W range?

Based on that range what would be a good minimum powered amp to match with them?

Is it ok (or even good) to exceed that range (e.g., 220 watts at 8 ohms)?

Is there an ideal?

Thanks!

The DM603 S3 specs indicate: "Power handling: 25–150W into 8 ohms on unclipped program."

Do I need to stay in the 25-150W range?

Based on that range what would be a good minimum powered amp to match with them?

Is it ok (or even good) to exceed that range (e.g., 220 watts at 8 ohms)?

Is there an ideal?

Thanks!

Not sure if you are looking for an integrated amp, or a straight stereo power amp, but I'd lean towards the high side of power output. There's a large variation in the "loudness" of program material. Music with a wide dynamic range seems to benefit from having more reserve power, and B&W's like to have a substantial amount of power.

if you go with a straight power amp, an output level limiter knob on the back is a useful feature. That way if you are controlling volume digitally, you don't have to dither it down too much running the amp full tilt.