IGNORED

Mac Pro-lookalike Dune PC Case

Hi guys,

Thought you guys might be interested in this cylindrical PC case, currently funding on Kickstarter >

They act like they just invented something! If you compare this case with the Mac Pro, you'll notice that it's just a CASE design! Inside it takes standard mini PC components. The Mac Pro is a complete, ground-up design using multiple processors and innovative circuit board configurations. It is nice-looking however, even if it doesn't really break any new ground in any way. Thanks for posting it!

George

I have to agree. Aside from the looks of it, I don't see any benefit. If you ever need to install a card, there's no way it will fit in that case. Compared to an ITX case like a Corsair Obsidian or Graphite series, the internal layout is much better for cooling and expansion.

I have to agree. Aside from the looks of it, I don't see any benefit. If you ever need to install a card, there's no way it will fit in that case. Compared to an ITX case like a Corsair Obsidian or Graphite series, the internal layout is much better for cooling and expansion.

Yeah, in this particular instance, it's definitely form-over-function. And while it might provide for superior cooling over a normal Mini-PC case, I wasn't aware that the kinds of processors commonly used in conjunction with Mini-PC MBs had a cooling problem to begin with. Now the Mac Pro with it's up to a 12 core Xeon processor and up to 3.7 GHz clock speed, probably does benefit from that "chimney" cooling tower design, but a PC mini with an Atom, a Celeron or a i3, i5, or i7? C'mon.

George

The one thing that just about everyone agrees on is the importance of cooling. Its a very mature segment of the market, so if you plan your build properly, you shouldn't have any problems with chip and case cooling. If you want to see an alternative design, look at the Corsair Obsidian mini-itx case. Instead of going with a traditional shape, this one is a cube. Inside, its split into an upper and lower section like a house. The power supply, drive bays and what other similar option you choose goes in the bottom level. On the upper level, goes the MB. The cube shape allows the MB to lay flat and there's nothing above it, so whatever heat is generated goes straight up through the vent. I use one of these my self, but I have the bigger one that allows for a full size MB.

If you are having problems with excessive heat, another solution is to buy faster cpu than what you need, and under clock it. That will help a great deal.