IGNORED

El Capitain for Mac and Chordette Qute Ex

Solo man

Every time I connect the dac to my MacBook Pro via usb, the computer crashes. I haven't seen any update for the dac and Yosemite seems to be the last version.

I have troubleshooted it down to the driver because the USB port works with other things connected except the dac.

Any suggestions would be appreciated and maybe downgrading back to Yosemite is the only answer.

My Computer Audio Setup:

Mac Pro Nehalem/Peachtree Audio Nova 125/Totem Rainmakers/Kimber Kable USB

Could be a fault USB cable. Try another cable.

Roon client on iPad/MacBookPro

Roon Server & HQPlayer on Mac Mini 2.0 GHz i7 with JS-2

LPS-1 & ultraRendu → Lampizator Atlantic → Bent Audio TAP-X → Atma-sphere M60 → Zero autoformers → Harbeth Compact 7 ES-3

Hey thanks guys but I tried a different cable and have got no response from Chord electronics for weeks. It looks like they will not update to El Capitan driver since my dac is a discontinued product.

I might have to revert back to Yosemite.

My Computer Audio Setup:

Mac Pro Nehalem/Peachtree Audio Nova 125/Totem Rainmakers/Kimber Kable USB

Hey thanks guys but I tried a different cable and have got no response from Chord electronics for weeks. It looks like they will not update to El Capitan driver since my dac is a discontinued product.

I might have to revert back to Yosemite.

Before you revert, try moving the kernel extension from /System/Library/Extensions to /Library/Extensions. You may have to disable SIP or do it from single user mode.

It is pretty shoddy of them not to update drivers.

Hi Solo man. Been where you are and reverted back to Yosemite twice (once after Apple released an El Capitan update). It's unfortunate Chord will no longer update the driver. The good news is the Qute EX sounds great using BNC and/or Toslink and there lies the answer if you intend on keeping the DAC for the long haul and want higher-res than 24/96. I have 2 USB-S/PDIF converters and neither need drivers.

• 2 weeks later...
Before you revert, try moving the kernel extension from /System/Library/Extensions to /Library/Extensions. You may have to disable SIP or do it from single user mode.

It is pretty shoddy of them not to update drivers.

Which kernel extension?

• 1 year later...

I found this thread because I am in the same boat with Chord not supporting their Chordette Qute Ex driver for El Capitan and beyond. When I discussed this with a Chord rep they said they have had very few complaints, five max? 

Now I am in the market for a new computer and was thinking of going back to a Windows machine but as I understand it they do not have a driver for Windows 10?

2 minutes ago, Olson_jr said:

I found this thread because I am in the same boat with Chord not supporting their Chordette Qute Ex driver for El Capitan and beyond. When I discussed this with a Chord rep they said they have had very few complaints, five max? 

Now I am in the market for a new computer and was thinking of going back to a Windows machine but as I understand it they do not have a driver for Windows 10?

Why do you need a new computer so you can use the DAC? Just revert to an older Mac OSX. The Chord works with Yosemite, right? What do you gain with El Capitan? I'm asking because I'm still running three of my five home Macs on Mavericks, one on Snow Leopard, and one on Tiger.

Just now, wwaldmanfan said:

Why do you need a new computer so you can use the DAC? Just revert to an older Mac OSX. The Chord works with Yosemite, right? What do you gain with El Capitan? I'm asking because I'm still running three of my five home Macs on Mavericks, one on Snow Leopard, and one on Tiger.

No, I may need a new computer because my 2011 Macbook Pro apparently just failed a graphics chip. Repairs are hit or miss and Apple quit their free support of this issue  December 31, 2016.

Buying a new MBP, or a used one, would not preclude you from running Yosemite. If you need the functionality that the newer operating systems provide that's one thing, but I know a lot of folks update for the hell of it just because they can, and then they encounter problems with 3rd party hardward and software.