IGNORED

Article: Audio Alchemy DDP-1 DAC / Preamp & PS-5 Power Supply Review

Chris, you've written several very positive DAC reviews lately. But hard to tell which one(s) you prefer.

Bottom line: would you be willing to give up your Berkeley Reference for any of them? If not do any come close?

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Indeed, unfortunately each and every review from Chris looks alike ie. It sounds great. But no decision could be done based on those since they are too polite and I understand why but we need to see the comparisons.

MacBook Pro + Roon > Airport Extreme > microRendu + mbps-d2s > Auralic Vega > McIntosh MC275 > Yamaha NS-2000

Wired with: High Fidelity CT-1 Enhanced RCA, Revelation Audio Labs, Fadel Art Coherence PC

Chris, you've written several very positive DAC reviews lately. But hard to tell which one(s) you prefer.

Bottom line: would you be willing to give up your Berkeley Reference for any of them? If not do any come close?

Hi firedog - Yes, some very positive reviews lately. I've had good luck selecting components for review. There's nothing worse than seeking out components and getting one in that simply sucks. Thus, doing homework pays off. That said, I stuck the $16,000 Alpha DAC RS back in my system this morning and was pleasantly reminded how great this piece of equipment really is. I wouldn't trade it for anything right now.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Indeed, unfortunately each and every review from Chris looks alike ie. It sounds great. But no decision could be done based on those since they are too polite and I understand why but we need to see the comparisons.

Hi theppd - I research the components long before talking to a manufacturer about getting a unit in for review. I don't want to waste time with bad manufacturers or bad products. I'm happy that I've had some great stuff in here and have been able to share these items with the CA community.

I think you are searching for something that isn't attainable. You say, "...no decision could be done based on those since they are too polite and I understand why but we need to see the comparisons." Seeking to make a decision based on what flavor of ice cream I like will get you know where. Comparing Vanilla to Strawberry or even two different vanillas with my tastebuds really isn't going to tell you much, let alone enough to make a decision with which you'll be happy.

What if I said the DDP-1 is far better than the Benchmark DAC1? Would you eliminate the Benchmark DAC from your list of possible selections? That would be a shame. You could be missing out on a component that is made just for your taste. There could be nuances with the Benchmark that I completely miss or don't get, yet you would take my opinion as information to help you make a decision.

Reviews are a only tiny starting point that shouldn't be used to make decisions. At least that's how I read other reviews and how I'd like my reviews to be used.

One last point, it seems you're intimating that I am not completely honest with my reviews or I'm too polite to reveal the whole truth about products. This is far from true. I've been negative about products and was once threatened with a lawsuit after writing a bad review. It was demanded that I remove the review. I refused and the review is still on CA today. Withholding information, or being too polite as you say, is bad for business.

I respect your opinion and thank you for reading and participating in CA, but I see things differently than you. No worries though :~)

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Hi theppd - I research the components long before talking to a manufacturer about getting a unit in for review. I don't want to waste time with bad manufacturers or bad products. I'm happy that I've had some great stuff in here and have been able to share these items with the CA community.

I think you are searching for something that isn't attainable. You say, "...no decision could be done based on those since they are too polite and I understand why but we need to see the comparisons." Seeking to make a decision based on what flavor of ice cream I like will get you know where. Comparing Vanilla to Strawberry or even two different vanillas with my tastebuds really isn't going to tell you much, let alone enough to make a decision with which you'll be happy.

What if I said the DDP-1 is far better than the Benchmark DAC1? Would you eliminate the Benchmark DAC from your list of possible selections? That would be a shame. You could be missing out on a component that is made just for your taste. There could be nuances with the Benchmark that I completely miss or don't get, yet you would take my opinion as information to help you make a decision.

Reviews are a only tiny starting point that shouldn't be used to make decisions. At least that's how I read other reviews and how I'd like my reviews to be used.

One last point, it seems you're intimating that I am not completely honest with my reviews or I'm too polite to reveal the whole truth about products. This is far from true. I've been negative about products and was once threatened with a lawsuit after writing a bad review. It was demanded that I remove the review. I refused and the review is still on CA today. Withholding information, or being too polite as you say, is bad for business.

I respect your opinion and thank you for reading and participating in CA, but I see things differently than you. No worries though :~)

Chris thanks for taking your time to clarify your vision of the situation but lemme explain my point: I believe that as a starting point the reviews and comparisons are really helpful when they are clearer for the reader. I mean, yes, I would skip the Benchmark DAC1 since I've had one for about 3 years while trying the others but also I would skip it if there would be such statements like "it not as transparent and lacks resolution compared to the Auralic Vega" (which I own now and can compare). But it is totally up to you how to perform the review. I love this community and appreciate your participation as an owner.

MacBook Pro + Roon > Airport Extreme > microRendu + mbps-d2s > Auralic Vega > McIntosh MC275 > Yamaha NS-2000

Wired with: High Fidelity CT-1 Enhanced RCA, Revelation Audio Labs, Fadel Art Coherence PC

Chris thanks for taking your time to clarify your vision of the situation but lemme explain my point: I believe that as a starting point the reviews and comparisons are really helpful when they are clearer for the reader. I mean, yes, I would skip the Benchmark DAC1 since I've had one for about 3 years while trying the others but also I would skip it if there would be such statements like "it not as transparent and lacks resolution compared to the Auralic Vega" (which I own now and can compare). But it is totally up to you how to perform the review. I love this community and appreciate your participation as an owner.

Hi theppd - Thanks for the response and for taking my comments in the spirit in which they were intended. Your feedback is always welcome and duly noted.

Have a fantastic weekend.

Hi firedog - Yes, some very positive reviews lately. I've had good luck selecting components for review. There's nothing worse than seeking out components and getting one in that simply sucks. Thus, doing homework pays off. That said, I stuck the $16,000 Alpha DAC RS back in my system this morning and was pleasantly reminded how great this piece of equipment really is. I wouldn't trade it for anything right now.

Chris,

Thanks for your efforts. I wonder about this device everytime I get a catalog from Audio Advisor. Comparison to Yggdrasil?

Vinyl is a hugely overpriced way to get flawed sound. Digital is an inexpensive way to get less flawed (though flawed nonetheless) sound.

Chris,

Thanks for your efforts. I wonder about this device everytime I get a catalog from Audio Advisor. Comparison to Yggdrasil?

DDP-1:

Excellent analog volume control

Excellent USB input

DSD64 (DSD128 coming soon)

MQA coming soon-ish

Upgraded power supply optional

Great designers

Yggdrasil:

No volume control (preamp needed)

USB not its best input (USB to AES converter may be needed)

PCM only

What's MQA

Built-in power supply

Great designers

Thanks Chris, but I knew those things. I was looking for more of a comparison of the sound characteristics of the dac sections.

Vinyl is a hugely overpriced way to get flawed sound. Digital is an inexpensive way to get less flawed (though flawed nonetheless) sound.

Thanks Chris for the review.

Looking at the rear panels picture I am a bit irritated to see that the power outlet of the DDP-1 is on the far side from the PS-5, and that the provided power cable now is crossing all the cables plugged to the inputs.

I would have assumed that an electrical engineer would have avoided such crossing to eliminate interferences. If your power supply is located in an extra unit, why does the cosmetic designers and electrical engineers simply did not design to have the PSU sit on the other side and cut the power cable short?

Guys this isn't like other review types. Reviews of single items, which are self contained, is one thing (movie, book, car, etc.) but a single component that needs to be part of a complex chain is certainly another. I look upon Chris as a "chef" who seeks out and finds the best ingredients for the day for a fantasic meal. Each is fresh, tasty, and works in concert with the other components that go into a dish, which is actually part of a full meal with many courses, complementary wines, etc. Chris does his research and seeks out those "growers" of DACs (among other things) that will be likely to meet his criteria for exceptional musicality, first and foremost. But we readers need to do our best to evaluate products, as best we can, by seeking out dealers who similarly bring product into their shops for evaluation, and ultimately invest in them and designer/manufacturer/distributor relationships. Finally, like your favorite movie reviewer, over time we come to either trust and align our tastes with that of the reviewer, or find another one who has similar tastes to our own.

Personally, people such as Chris and others attempt to lay out their standards and prejudices as best they can. In the final analysis it's incument on readers to find products from dealers who are willing to provide their time for evaluation. If we're lucky they will be willing to go as far as to loan equipment so we can place it into our systems. In the case of Audio Alchemy, you'll see that their dealer list includes some of the highest caliber for many top notch products. They keep good company. We all have to invest in this "hobby". Time and effort is required. This ain't fast food...

Steve Schaffer

Grimm MU1 / dCS Vivaldi Upsampler - APEX DAC - Clock / Spectral DMC-30SV preamp / Spectral Anniversary monoblocks / Wilson Audio Alexia V /  Wilson Lōkē subs / Shunyata Everest / Shunyata Omega interconnects, power cables, Ethernet / Shunyata Altaira / Uptone EtherREGEN switch / Cybershaft OP21A-D / Uptone JS2 LPS / HRS racks - Vortex footers - damping plates

Thanks Chris for the review.

Looking at the rear panels picture I am a bit irritated to see that the power outlet of the DDP-1 is on the far side from the PS-5, and that the provided power cable now is crossing all the cables plugged to the inputs.

I would have assumed that an electrical engineer would have avoided such crossing to eliminate interferences. If your power supply is located in an extra unit, why does the cosmetic designers and electrical engineers simply did not design to have the PSU sit on the other side and cut the power cable short?

Hi jtm - I asked about that and was told "all will become clear over time.'"

There is a misconception that comparisons mean reporting on which product sounds "better." However, the truth lies much closer to different high quality audio products having different "takes" on the recording.

No DAC can perfectly recreate the analog event in time, no amp can boost the signal without altering it to some extent, and no speaker can exactly produce the sound pressure levels of an actual performance. At some point we settle on which approach we like best over the widest range of our preference of recordings (and then obsess over what the full DCS stack or Walker turntable sound like).

In this regard, I find qualitative comparisons with detailed descriptions of the qualitative differences the most important when reading reviews and ultimately narrowing down components to try out. My two cents

Nice review - Audio Alchemy was a legendary preamp back in the day- seemed to always be dueling it out with the equally legendary CAT preamp but for a fraction of the price. Comforting to know that a DAC designer has serious chops in analog for that key part of the design.

There is a misconception that comparisons mean reporting on which product sounds "better." However, the truth lies much closer to different high quality audio products having different "takes" on the recording.

True, but there's benefit in having a frame of reference and seeing how different DACs compare to this reference.

I get the most from Michael Lavorgna's reviews. He always concludes by offering comparisons to his reference DAC. When his reference happened to be the same DAC that I was using, these were the most helpful. But even as he moved on I had a great frame of reference to be able to determine whether the DAC under review might be a good fit for me. Without such comparisons those determinations are more difficult to make.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

.... And glasses! [emoji851]

Sir Madnick is in a league all of his own.

If only the designer of my DAC had such hair!

A tip of the hat to you Sir Madnick [emoji145]

(And certainly no wag of the finger)

TF cards - USB  -> GentooPlayer in RAM on Rpi4b, Ian’s PurePi II, FIFO Q7, HDMI-pro  -> Audio GD R-27 -> S.A.T. Infinity monoblocks -> Gallo Stradas + TR-3 sub / Erzetich Phobos

Aw come on, no review of an Audio Alchemy product would be complete with some mention of Peter Madnick's awesome hair!

IMG_6082c.jpg

.... And glasses! [emoji851]

Sir Madnick is in a league all of his own.

If only the designer of my DAC had such hair!

A tip of the hat to you Sir Madnick [emoji145]

(And certainly no wag of the finger)

You're both 100% correct. My review was incomplete without this information :~)

Thanks Chris, but I knew those things. I was looking for more of a comparison of the sound characteristics of the dac sections.

Perfectly understanding this: any comparison of sound between two praised DACS (Alchemy vs. Yggdrasil or even with Hegel) by very skilled ear in perfect conditions (fantastic expensive system) would help the readers (see Audiostream or 6moons) and should not destroy relations with manufacturers:)

• 2 weeks later...