IGNORED

Ubuntu and DAC

Hi all, so I am new to the DAC but liking it when it works. I use ubuntu because the updates seem to be easy. I am using a Peachtree audio DACITx and it seems to work fine the first day or two it is plugged in but then nothing. Because ubuntu is easy to reinstall, i tried that and again the same thing, worked for two days and then nothing on the output through the DAC. Any tips on this. The sound is a huge improvement.

I'm not an expert, but could it be that the relevant modules are being unloaded by some process? I'd compare the output of lsmod when it's working to the output after it fails and see if there are any modules that have been removed.

Another possibility might be that something changes the default sound card or it stops being recognised.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SoundTroubleshooting might be useful.

Edit: Actually, that's out of date, though it might still be useful. A better source is: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebuggingSoundProblems

- Richard

LMS on Odroid XU4; HQPlayer on i7-8700; iFi iGalvanic; T+A DAC 8 DSD; Benchmark AHB2; Quad ESL 2805s + two Acoustic Energy subs.

Hi all, so I am new to the DAC but liking it when it works. I use ubuntu because the updates seem to be easy. I am using a Peachtree audio DACITx and it seems to work fine the first day or two it is plugged in but then nothing. Because ubuntu is easy to reinstall, i tried that and again the same thing, worked for two days and then nothing on the output through the DAC. Any tips on this. The sound is a huge improvement.

Can I suggest you to ditch Ubuntu and go for audio-specific distro like Daphile or Vortexbox? They are already pre-setup with everything you need and it doesn't get any simpler with Linux. Just my 2 cents...

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile mobile app

I am using a Peachtree audio DACITx and it seems to work fine the first day or two it is plugged in but then nothing

Do you keep your Ubuntu server up 24/7, or is it powered down if not in use? Have you tried disconnecting and reconnecting the DAC when this problem occurs? It would help to know which version of Ubuntu you are using. Could you post the output of

uname -a

The command

lsusb

shows you connected USB devices;

aplay -l

will show you devices that are recognized by ALSA (the Linux sound layer). Do they change before and after the event (of losing connection to your DAC)?

What is the output of the error log?

dmesg | grep -i error

or

dmesg | tail -20

Primary ::= Nabla music server | Mutec MC-3+USB w/ Temex LPFRS-01 RB clock | WLM Gamma Reference DAC; Secondary ::= Nabla music server | WaveIO | PrismSound Lyra