IGNORED

TIDAL "Master"? Is this MQA on TIDAL?

having read and understood the principle behind mqa ie transmitting high res files in 'small packets' and unfolding them at the recipients end the final result is a hi res file of 192 khz and (maybe 384 not sure here). so we have a hi res file. but what is so special about this. high res files of 192khz already flood the market and readily available? mqa as the artist records it and we hear that or we are meant to? apart from the high sample rate 192 what exactly makes mqa so special so that the sound is authentic as described. is it something in the dacs that decode? what am i not understanding that is the mqa magic here? as far as i can see another high res music file.

having read and understood the principle behind mqa ie transmitting high res files in 'small packets' and unfolding them at the recipients end the final result is a hi res file of 192 khz and (maybe 384 not sure here). so we have a hi res file. but what is so special about this. high res files of 192khz already flood the market and readily available? mqa as the artist records it and we hear that or we are meant to? apart from the high sample rate 192 what exactly makes mqa so special so that the sound is authentic as described. is it something in the dacs that decode? what am i not understanding that is the mqa magic here? as far as i can see another high res music file.

They make a big deal about their de-blurring, which may or may not make a tangible difference. The biggest *potential* benefit is being able to stream something very similar to native 24/96(or 24/192 using a MQA DAC) at near 16/48 bitrates. Whether they have accomplished that is causing quite a fuss...

They make a big deal about their de-blurring, which may or may not make a tangible difference. The biggest *potential* benefit is being able to stream something very similar to native 24/96(or 24/192 using a MQA DAC) at near 16/48 bitrates. Whether they have accomplished that is causing quite a fuss...

Very good point! For me the MQA benefit of de-blurring should be more important and significant than HI-RES.

An MQA encoded file can be played back in four ways; with no decoding, software decoding, hardware decoding, and a combined software/hardware decode - but the BIG question is - via all FOUR playback methods - do you still get the advantage of the de-blurring even from playing back an MQA file with no software or hardware decoding?

Have anybody figured out how to search for a master albums no on the tab. Its been really frustrating on not knowing whats out there in master quality. I believe the master tab only has a fraction of whats actually in the site. For example somebody mentioned Sir Simon Rattle albums and i had to search him and then click on each album to see which one was master. Should not be that hard.

So with regards to deburring via MQA capable dac (32/384) as opposed to Tidal or software unfolding (up to 24/96), how much of the original software is recorded at rates higher than 24/96?

I am getting some MQA titles at 24/44.1.

As such, does this mean for playback up to 24/96 and thru to original mastering, we will not get any further benefits from deburring (or through a MQA certified dac.)

So unless looking for music like 2L and some others, more commercial masters or old titles at 16/44.1 will not benefit any further from hardware decoding?

Anyone knows? Thanks

having read and understood the principle behind mqa ie transmitting high res files in 'small packets' and unfolding them at the recipients end the final result is a hi res file of 192 khz and (maybe 384 not sure here). so we have a hi res file. but what is so special about this. high res files of 192khz already flood the market and readily available?

What is special is that it is able to be streamed over networks outside of your home using less bandwidth than a cd quality (16/44) file uses and then unfolds it in real time into a highres file. This means that if you subscribe to a streaming service that uses MQA you can now be listening to higher resolution music recordings without having to purchase them. I'm still scratching my head as to what exactly is so confusing about MQA to people.

David

• 3 weeks later...

YES IT WORKS!!!! ? MQA on Windows 7

Here is how I did it.

I have the DAC Meridian Explorer2 (with MQA support chip integrated - bought in January 2016 in Sweden). PC, Windows 7 - Service Pack 1. Tidal - "HiFi" account (trial).

1. Uninstall previous Meridian Explorer 2 drivers.

2. Reboot the computer

3. Press F2 or F8 to get to Advanced Boot Menu

4. Select the bottom most alternative "Disable Driver Signature Enforcement"

5. The computer starts what looks as normally.

(If the ME2 is connected, Windows might automatically install the driver and say "you need driver signature...", if so just uninstall it and proceed to install the latest driver.

6. Get the lates drivers 3.34.1.0 from Meridian support

7. Also get the DAC uploader 1717 (Win) - (this will update the internal firmware in the DAC later, continue reading...)

8. Execute the driver setup (with or without the DAC connected).

9. Follow the instructions normally.

10. The DAC drivers will now be installed (without the "you need driver signature..." message popping up.)

11. The last this the setup will say is "disconnect and reconnect the driver", after doing this just click "No" and then "Finish".

- So far so good :)

12. Now open the DAC uploader

13. Click "Scan" and now the latest DAC driver should appear in the drop down curtain (in my case it said "found a device with firmware v.1675")

14. Select this one ("021.v1717.bin" i think) and then click "load".

15. After this I think the firmware upgrade stopped halfway through the update for somewhat 3-4 minutes ("be patient")

16. Then it continues until the green bar is full.

17. The Uploader will ask you to disconnect and reconnect the DAC again.

18. After doing this you get no "Finish" message so just exit the setup.

19. Now open Tidal (with HiFi account) and search for "mqa" in the search bar and under ALBUMS should be Mozart Violin concerto.

20. Now play this album. (Still only one light on the ME2 shines)

21. Now, by the timer to the right it either says "HiFi" or "Master". Click on this.

22. Select Quality: HiFi/Master

23. Sound output: Select the Speakers (Meridian Explorer2 USB DAC audio)

24. As you hold the mouse over this a settings sign appears. Click this.

25. Here when you select "Use exclusive mode" two lights will shine (when you play the song, or restart the song/ change song)

26. You must also select "Passthrough MQA" now all three light shine and the first one will shine Blue. (when you play the song, or restart the song/ change song).

27. Congratulations!!! ?

Hope this helps!

And thanks to Meridian Support for really good customer service!

// Micke

What is special is that it is able to be streamed over networks outside of your home using less bandwidth than a cd quality (16/44) file uses and then unfolds it in real time into a highres file. This means that if you subscribe to a streaming service that uses MQA you can now be listening to higher resolution music recordings without having to purchase them. I'm still scratching my head as to what exactly is so confusing about MQA to people.
I'd guess they are confused about all the fuss being made by MQA's internet bandwidth savings, given that they are already successfully streaming from online video services with streaming rates many more times than what would be required for streaming 'ordinary' non-MQA hi-res FLAC files!

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

I'd guess they are confused about all the fuss being made by MQA's internet bandwidth savings, given that they are already successfully streaming from online video services with streaming rates many more times than what would be required for streaming 'ordinary' non-MQA hi-res FLAC files!

Not to mobile devices. Even regular Tidal HiFi streaming can be an issue for most cellular data plans (even unlimited ones, as most of those can throttle after a certain amount, usually 20GB).

For me it's the de-blurring that counts, this is why I invested in the Explorer 2 DAC. Whereas I am liking the sound of MQA and certainly notice a more incisive sound with seemingly better clarity, I am still waiting patiently for the Tidal app on LMS to support 24 bit pass through - which in turn will allow the MQA signal to pass unhindered to the ME2 DAC.

I will promote Daphile here at this juncture, it's a superb application incorporating Squeezelite and LMS, well done Kimmo.

For anyone that likes the Squeezeboxen like experience, try Daphile, it's great!!

• 2 weeks later...

I am waiting for Audirvana to release V3 to find how far the MQA streaming has got in my system. It sounds great in the Tidal App, but thinking how the SQ of various apps is different, I am betting Audirvana will be even better. This may partly explain some of the mixed results some folk are finding (setting aside that may affect the sound). V3 us due any day now. I hope it has automatic control of the sample rate, as it will be a pain to have to manually switch that, as I am on Rednet and Dante, so 3 separate setting to affect. Plus the Tidal masters are not labeled to show the sample rate in their app, it can be 88.2 or 96 apparently.

Spanish Distributor for Aries Cerat

Two Channel System: Aries Cerat Kassadra DAC, Aries Cerat Genus SET Integrated Amplifier, Plinius SA-103 Power Amplifier, Zingali Horns Client Name Evo 1.2.

Headphone system: Aries Cerat Kassadra DAC, Violectric V281 Headphone Amplifier, Audeze LCD4 2018, LCD2-Classic 2018.

I am waiting for Audirvana to release V3 to find how far the MQA streaming has got in my system. It sounds great in the Tidal App, but thinking how the SQ of various apps is different, I am betting Audirvana will be even better. This may partly explain some of the mixed results some folk are finding (setting aside that may affect the sound). V3 us due any day now. I hope it has automatic control of the sample rate, as it will be a pain to have to manually switch that, as I am on Rednet and Dante, so 3 separate setting to affect. Plus the Tidal masters are not labeled to show the sample rate in their app, it can be 88.2 or 96 apparently.

The Tidal masters can also be labeled as 24/192 (for example, Joni Mitchell's "Blue").

A+ v3 will show the Tidal master sample rate, and if you wish, will use the iZotope SRC and mansr's sigma-delta modulators to upsample to the desired PCM/DSD rate.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Thanks Jud, that sounds good. Tidal app gives almost no info, kind of too stripped back IMO.

Do you have an A+ V3 beta demo running? Where can I get one? Kind of gagging to try it out. I hope we don;'t have to wait too much longer.

I have since found out the Tidal app in Mavericks at least won't run. It has a bug I think, default back to mac speaker eveytime I try it. I got it working on 10.2 on my Power Book Pro, but trying to keep my Mac Mini as Mavericks for now.

Two Channel System: Aries Cerat Kassadra DAC, Aries Cerat Genus SET Integrated Amplifier, Plinius SA-103 Power Amplifier, Zingali Horns Client Name Evo 1.2.

Headphone system: Aries Cerat Kassadra DAC, Violectric V281 Headphone Amplifier, Audeze LCD4 2018, LCD2-Classic 2018.

Thanks Jud, that sounds good. Tidal app gives almost no info, kind of too stripped back IMO.

Do you have an A+ V3 beta demo running? Where can I get one? Kind of gagging to try it out. I hope we don;'t have to wait too much longer.

See the Audirvana Plus with MQA Decoder thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I'm getting an odd result with the new update. I am running OSx - usb - chord mojo out to powered monitors on my desktop.

Streaming settings are exclusive, and force volume. When I play the MQA content I get the green light from the mojo indicating 96khz. Regardless of the " pass through mqa" selection that I make. All good so far.

But when I switch back to "non-mqa" tidal selections, the music plays but at a dramatically reduced pace. Like 1/8th speed. I get the red light for 44khz but the pace is crazy slow. Now if I go back to the "pass thorough mqa" selection and toggle it to the opposite of whatever I had it on, the pace of play rights itself.

Also, when I go back to mqa, I get the green light again but now the music is played at a dramatically fast pace. Like chipmunks. Once again toggling the "pass though mqa" fixes the problem.]Anyone else have this crazy thing happening?

I'm having a similar issue, did you ever figure out a cause?

Please someone listen to Wilson Pickett 'Wicked Pickett' album track 'Everybody needs somebody to love'...two versions (Master and CD) sooooo different....one of the two completely messed up with channel separation....

Are U sure there are two versions available?

Maybe you have a local version as well [emoji3]

IMG_0461.JPG

I'm having a similar issue, did you ever figure out a cause?

I bet the Audio Midi on your Mac is not reflecting what the Tidal desktop app is doing. Open up Audio Midi (in Utilities folder) and watch what that does as you change the setting in Tidal App.

It Audio Midi is updating the rate as it should, then the only way to fix this bug maybe to quit Tidal before you play a rate change.

Tidal is updating really quickly now, no doubt they will fix this. TBH the setting in the App seems very basic. I am waiting for Damien and Audirvana to use as the main player on my Mac.

• 2 weeks later...

Latest Tidal update now shows an M symbol to highlight it's a Master/MQA album. It's just like the E for explicit lyrics. Now when searching for an artist you don't have to play every album to find out which one is the MQA version.

Computer setup - Roon/Qobuz - PS Audio P5 Regenerator - HIFI Rose 250A Streamer - Emotiva XPA-2 Harbeth P3ESR XD - Rel  R-528 Sub

Comfy Chair - Schitt Jotunheim - Meze Audio Empyrean w/Mitch Barnett's Accurate Sound FilterSet

Latest Tidal update now shows an M symbol to highlight it's a Master/MQA album. It's just like the E for explicit lyrics. Now when searching for an artist you don't have to play every album to find out which one is the MQA version.

Does this apply to Roon as well, or only Tidal on PC ?

(I'm not home to test)