IGNORED

TIDAL "Master"? Is this MQA on TIDAL?

How did your Meridian Explorer 2 DAC workout? I have found with mine the volume through the Tidal app is not sufficient even with the volume on my Mac set on high. This was not a problem streaming Tidal via Chrome. Any thoughts besides buying a better headphone amp with its own volume control?

How did your Meridian Explorer 2 DAC workout? I have found with mine the volume through the Tidal app is not sufficient even with the volume on my Mac set on high. This was not a problem streaming Tidal via Chrome. Any thoughts besides buying a better headphone amp with its own volume control?

Hi:

I am using the E2 line out to my speaker rig, so cannot comment on the headphone output from the Explorer2.

Tidal was giving trouble (crashing) earlier today, but now works fine.

Listening to Mark Knofler's Shangri La... love the taught bass and clarity. Having too much fun right now to do any A/B testing.

HELP NEEDED.......

My modimultibit dac is set at 16/44.1 as it always has been since joining tidal hifi. my listening catches a slight difference between master and hifi. others keep saying that when playing master mqa their dac automatically changes sampling setting. in my case i have to manually adjust it in audio midi set up on imac. do i leave it 16/44.1 cd quality or manually change it to 24/96 quality for masters albums? i am lost here. finally what in the world is passthrough mqa? if the software won't decode mqa and my dac clearly is not tasked to do this what is the point of the passthrough and do i leave it on or off? thanks to all

I think the Tidal decoded MQA files do not all sound as good as their normal 16/44 files. Maybe my ears are borked or maybe my DAC is having some weird issue with the decoded files? At least some of the MQA files sound significantly worse, although others may not (Natalie Merchant TiggerLilly sound terrible, Fleetwood Mac Rumors sounds good).

So I am sitting here thinking the sounds on the Master version of Natalie Merchant TigerLilly "Seven Years" actually sounds slower than the Tidal 16/44 version. So I look at the time stamp on the two versions

Tidal 16/44 = 5 minutes and 30 seconds

Tidal Master MQA = 5 minutes 35 seconds

Is that to be expected? Where are the extra 5 seconds coming from?

if software decodes mqa why the need for an mqa dac???

If I understood the technology correctly a non MQA DAC will receive up to 96 decoded from the software. If you don't use the software it's 44.1. If you have a MQA DAC it further unfolds the signal up to whatever the DAC is capable of. Or you can bypass the software and have your MQA DAC do it all. I could be wrong.

Computer setup - Roon/Qobuz - PS Audio P5 Regenerator - HIFI Rose 250A Streamer - Emotiva XPA-2 Harbeth P3ESR XD - Rel  R-528 Sub

Comfy Chair - Schitt Jotunheim - Meze Audio Empyrean w/Mitch Barnett's Accurate Sound FilterSet

I think the Tidal decoded MQA files do not all sound as good as their normal 16/44 files. Maybe my ears are borked or maybe my DAC is having some weird issue with the decoded files? At least some of the MQA files sound significantly worse, although others may not (Natalie Merchant TiggerLilly sound terrible, Fleetwood Mac Rumors sounds good).

So I am sitting here thinking the sounds on the Master version of Natalie Merchant TigerLilly "Seven Years" actually sounds slower than the Tidal 16/44 version. So I look at the time stamp on the two versions

Tidal 16/44 = 5 minutes and 30 seconds

Tidal Master MQA = 5 minutes 35 seconds

Is that to be expected? Where are the extra 5 seconds coming from?

I had exactly the same experience: some MQA tracks sound better other worse

Many of the MQA Master versions sound recessed, compressed. Someone threw a blanket over my speakers? Jeez, compare Alanis Morissete's "Unplugged" track 1 "You Learn".

Tidal Hifi = typical close miked recording

Tidal Master = blanket over speaker sound. Vocal is recessed and mushed into the bass line.

Note: This is not music I normally listen too, I am just picking out various albums from the Master list. So, I really don't know whar AM sounds like but I certainly know which version I prefer.

I had exactly the same experience: some MQA tracks sound better other worse
Many of the MQA Master versions sound recessed, compressed. Someone threw a blanket over my speakers? Jeez, compare Alanis Morissete's "Unplugged" track 1 "You Learn".

Tidal Hifi = typical close miked recording

Tidal Master = blanket over speaker sound. Vocal is recessed and mushed into the bass line.

Note: This is not music I normally listen too, I am just picking out various albums from the Master list. So, I really don't know whar AM sounds like but I certainly know which version I prefer.

I'm hearing exactly the opposite for the content I'm listening to; i.e., the "Masters" sound much more lively / present / realistic than the HiFi version - or even my locally streamed high resolution equivalents!

For example, "Buena Vista Social Club" Tidal Master vs. 96/24 "true" hi-res file streamed locally - no contest, the Tidal Master thoroughly spanks my local hi-res version :/

Similarly for Madonna's "True Blue" and several others I've compared to my downloaded hi-res versions: the Tidal Master versions sound "better" - to me, at least, so much so I went ahead and bought an MQA-capable DAC to see if the hardware version is even better.

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

I'm hearing exactly the opposite for the content I'm listening to; i.e., the "Masters" sound much more lively / present / realistic than the HiFi version - or even my locally streamed high resolution equivalents!

For example, "Buena Vista Social Club" Tidal Master vs. 96/24 "true" hi-res file streamed locally - no contest, the Tidal Master thoroughly spanks my local hi-res version :/

Similarly for Madonna's "True Blue" and several others I've compared to my downloaded hi-res versions: the Tidal Master versions sound "better" - to me, at least, so much so I went ahead and bought an MQA-capable DAC to see if the hardware version is even better.

I agree with both of you: some (the majority) are (slightly) richer (I.e. Break on through, first track of The Doors album) with voice clearer an less recessed....others, like the Alanis Morissette album mentioned by TubeDriver, are definitely better in the non Master version.

This opens a tremendous dilemma in the audiophile world

I tried the headphone out to my LCD-2F, playing MASTERs on Tidal via Passthrough to the Explorer2. I found the sound quality to be high, and the volume is more than needed (60% is fine).

As I said, it seems to be variable between different albums. Did you listen yet to the two albums I mentioned?

I listened to the BVSC in Masters version and the normal HiFi and for what its worth I agree that the Masters version sounds better. Vocals still sounds slightly recessed but also more focused and easier to follow.

Hi:

I am using the E2 line out to my speaker rig, so cannot comment on the headphone output from the Explorer2.

Tidal was giving trouble (crashing) earlier today, but now works fine.

Listening to Mark Knofler's Shangri La... love the taught bass and clarity. Having too much fun right now to do any A/B testing.

I'm not looking to get mobbed here but, in A/Bing Shangri-La, Vilde Frang's Mozart Violin Concertos and John Coltrane's Favorite Things, from Tidal Masters and iTunes through two fairly good desktop monitors, I've yet to experience that "aha" moment. Moving to my main setup, Frang and Coltrane still sound better through my Revel Salons from my Aurender streamer than from Tidal. Haven't tried Shangri-La yet.

I thought that there was supposed to be an unequivocal uptick in quality from regular hi res to MQA? Perhaps in order to hear a marked difference, I'd have to use an MQA DAC? Perhaps I need to widen my A/Bing?

Music Server(s): Aurender N100H, Digital to Analog Converter(s): Audio Research DAC 8, Digital to Digital Converter: Bryston BUC-1, Preamplifier: Ayre K-5xeMP, Amplifier(s): Ayre V-5xe, Loudspeakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2, Interconnects: Kimber PBJ, Cardas Clear, Bryston AES/EBU, Loudspeaker Cables: Kimber PR8, Miscellaneous: Oppo BDP 95 disk player, CJ Walker turntable Jelco SA-750D tone arm, Ortofon 2M black cartridge, Magnum Dynalab tuner, Dream System: I've got it!, Headphones: Sennheiser HD600, Grado PS500e, Headphone Amplifier(s):Graham Slee Novo

I'm really enjoying the Masters sound quality on some albums (e.g. Endless River).

Audio MIDI is showing 24 bit but only offering me 44Hz and 48Hz. I've tried several different albums - Endless River, Headfull of Dreams, Blue - same story for all of them. Shouldn't I be able to switch Audio MIDI to 96Hz (or higher)?

I'm using a late-2016 MBP Touch and I've enabled Use Exclusive Mode.

I'm just plugging headphones into my Mac right now, although would love to connect my Onkyo DP-X1 (which can decode MQA) to my MBP as a DAC, but my understanding is that it cannot be used this way?

Hmmm.. I am using a 2015 MBP and Audio MIDI is set to 44hz but is does not matter what it is set to because if exclusive access is enabled in the Tidal software, it bypasses or resets Audio MIDI. So my DAC show 24/88 or 24/96 streaming with Masters selections regardless of what Audio MIDI was originally set to.

Can you sync up the Onkyo through Wifi with your MBP? If so, that should allow it to be used as a DAC.

I'm really enjoying the Masters sound quality on some albums (e.g. Endless River).

Audio MIDI is showing 24 bit but only offering me 44Hz and 48Hz. I've tried several different albums - Endless River, Headfull of Dreams, Blue - same story for all of them. Shouldn't I be able to switch Audio MIDI to 96Hz (or higher)?

I'm using a late-2016 MBP Touch and I've enabled Use Exclusive Mode.

I'm just plugging headphones into my Mac right now, although would love to connect my Onkyo DP-X1 (which can decode MQA) to my MBP as a DAC, but my understanding is that it cannot be used this way?

My Auralic Aries Mini appears to be streaming MQA Masters fine. It shows only 24/44.1 in the Lightning playback information, but this is the folded stream it is sending out to my External Explorer2 DAC. Since the blue light is on, I am presuming the Explorer is doing the final upsampling to 24/96 and sending it to the amp. The Lightning app won't see that since it is downstream processing. Results are varied. Older recordings are better but not arresting. Newer recordings such as The New Cool are tall, wide and dynamic, excellent. Howe Gelb is pretty good too. Without a doubt THE BEST streaming option I have heard to date. Catalog seems to be expanding day by day, with new titles coming in every time I check. The Tidal information is a little confusing. For sure you can play the Masters on any platform BUT, you still need an MQA enabled DAC to get the final Studio quality.