IGNORED

25% off new album from ron carter, javon jackson, billy drummond

Computer Audiophile Users can get 25% off We'll Be Together Again, featuring Javon Jackson, Ron Carter, and Billy Drummond on HDtracks using code CPUTOGETHER.

The shadows of the Sonny Rollins trio and Joe Henderson trio (both having recorded classic albums at the Village Vanguard) hover over this sparse, revealing trio outing with Jackson, Carter and Drummond. And like his sax playing elders, Jackson put his own stamp on a set of well chosen jazz standards while also showcasing a few originals. “Sonny being a big influence on me, obviously there would be some things in there that would be reminiscent, or have that spirit anyway,” says Jackson, who just hit the half century mark this June.

And while playing without a chordal instrument was a challenge in some respects for the saxophonist, he explains that Carter’s presence more than made up for the absence of piano on this Chesky release. “Ron is kind of like a symphony behind you. He’s the bass player, but he’s the piano at times, he’s the drums and he’s out front with the melody. So he can be several things at once. With him there, there are so many

colors that are available to me. So it’s not out of disrespect to the piano, it’s just that with Ron, we have a lot of opportunities. This trio setting just allows him to kind of roam a little bit and be more of a free safety, to use a football analogy.”

Part of the Chesky Binaural + Series, all recorded with a single microphone, the band appears right before you with this spacious, lush and multi-dimensional recording. Now headphone users will hear the same three-dimensional sound and imaging as audiophiles have for the past 25 years with Chesky Recordings. Also, these new Binaural+ Series albums capture even more spatial realism for the home audiophile market, bringing you one step closer to the actual event. You will hear some of the most natural and pure Jazz music ever recorded.

Thanks. Looks like a good one.

How long is the offer good for?

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

Very interested in acquiring this album in its native recording sampling rate.

Could you please supply some details on recording/mastering process/methods?

Computer Audiophile Users can get 25% off We'll Be Together Again, featuring Javon Jackson, Ron Carter, and Billy Drummond on HDtracks using code CPUTOGETHER.

The shadows of the Sonny Rollins trio and Joe Henderson trio (both having recorded classic albums at the Village Vanguard) hover over this sparse, revealing trio outing with Jackson, Carter and Drummond. And like his sax playing elders, Jackson put his own stamp on a set of well chosen jazz standards while also showcasing a few originals. “Sonny being a big influence on me, obviously there would be some things in there that would be reminiscent, or have that spirit anyway,” says Jackson, who just hit the half century mark this June.

And while playing without a chordal instrument was a challenge in some respects for the saxophonist, he explains that Carter’s presence more than made up for the absence of piano on this Chesky release. “Ron is kind of like a symphony behind you. He’s the bass player, but he’s the piano at times, he’s the drums and he’s out front with the melody. So he can be several things at once. With him there, there are so many

colors that are available to me. So it’s not out of disrespect to the piano, it’s just that with Ron, we have a lot of opportunities. This trio setting just allows him to kind of roam a little bit and be more of a free safety, to use a football analogy.”

Part of the Chesky Binaural + Series, all recorded with a single microphone, the band appears right before you with this spacious, lush and multi-dimensional recording. Now headphone users will hear the same three-dimensional sound and imaging as audiophiles have for the past 25 years with Chesky Recordings. Also, these new Binaural+ Series albums capture even more spatial realism for the home audiophile market, bringing you one step closer to the actual event. You will hear some of the most natural and pure Jazz music ever recorded.

Having completed the download, I also downloaded the beta 7 for HQPlayer. In standalone HQPlayer, added the WBTA to the transport window and clicked on play. Stuttering? Oh, Preferences, looks right. Back to the display window, changed PCM to Auto. That was it. 192/24. Wasn't interested in up sampling. I want to hear the recording. Is this my first binaural+ recording? If it isn't, don't remember another.

Read the first post about binaural+ single mic. I am hearing the "hall" affect or whatever the ambiance of the venue is. Javon house left, Ray Brown house right and Drummond house right just behind Brown to the left. I discern spatial realism but would love to know what the actual venue is. I imagine a studio, or an empty stage at the Vanguard. I am about 4th or row center. No audience. Javon very present, with Brown and Drummond quite discernible and accompanying with gracefully.

I am loving how each musician modulates their instrument's voicing, and when full "on" the tonal quality is just gorgeous and felt. The more I listen the more I get used to the one mic sound, which at first felt a bit distant. But after several tracks, though I haven't moved, the musicians just got closer. Howdedodat?

Not selling anything, but my system is loving this recording. I am pushing the RUR and Full Loom CC because since installed, everything has changed for me. You'll have to take my word for that (or not). There's just nothing in the way of Three's Company, they are as present as I would want them to be.

Happy I found this thread. Happier I acted on the offer. Even happier I am listening to it. HQPlayer beta 3/version 7 is singing and the music is singularly dark background, clear and present and I notice that the bass and drums are always present but their presence is modulated sometimes and Javon is more prominent, then he backs off, and the bass and drums, then the bass then the drums. Even the slightest pressure on the instrument is heard and felt. Brown takes the note and presses it to the side to give it an accent, or straight away, rich and plucky, or subtle vibrato. These musicians are masters. Brown is mesmerizing.

Worth the price of admission. Highly recommended.

Enjoying, the music,

Richard

PS

Took a short while, but I thoroughly taken with this recording. It gets better, and better. I had to adjust me. Now it's in full bloom. Wow!

Having completed the download, I also downloaded the beta 7 for HQPlayer. In standalone HQPlayer, added the WBTA to the transport window and clicked on play. Stuttering? Oh, Preferences, looks right. Back to the display window, changed PCM to Auto. That was it. 192/24. Wasn't interested in up sampling. I want to hear the recording. Is this my first binaural+ recording? If it isn't, don't remember another.

Read the first post about binaural+ single mic. I am hearing the "hall" affect or whatever the ambiance of the venue is. Javon house left, Ray Brown house right and Drummond house right just behind Brown to the left. I discern spatial realism but would love to know what the actual venue is. I imagine a studio, or an empty stage at the Vanguard. I am about 4th or row center. No audience. Javon very present, with Brown and Drummond quite discernible and accompanying with gracefully.

I am loving how each musician modulates their instrument's voicing, and when full "on" the tonal quality is just gorgeous and felt. The more I listen the more I get used to the one mic sound, which at first felt a bit distant. But after several tracks, though I haven't moved, the musicians just got closer. Howdedodat?

Not selling anything, but my system is loving this recording. I am pushing the RUR and Full Loom CC because since installed, everything has changed for me. You'll have to take my word for that (or not). There's just nothing in the way of Three's Company, they are as present as I would want them to be.

Happy I found this thread. Happier I acted on the offer. Even happier I am listening to it. HQPlayer beta 3/version 7 is singing and the music is singularly dark background, clear and present and I notice that the bass and drums are always present but their presence is modulated sometimes and Javon is more prominent, then he backs off, and the bass and drums, then the bass then the drums. Even the slightest pressure on the instrument is heard and felt. Brown takes the note and presses it to the side to give it an accent, or straight away, rich and plucky, or subtle vibrato. These musicians are masters. Brown is mesmerizing.

Enjoying, the music,

Richard

PS

Took a short while, but I thoroughly taken with this recording. It gets better, and better. I had to adjust me. Now it's in full bloom. Wow!

Wonderful review, Richard. You should check out Chesky's other binaural+ recordings as well. I'm especially fond of the ones by Alexis Cole, The New Appalachians, Wycliffe Gordon, and Amber Rubarth.

One tiny correction, though. Ron Carter played bass on this album, not Ray Brown.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

Enjoying, the music,

Richard

PS

Hey, glad you enjoy the album. Appreciate the support!

Wonderful review, Richard. You should check out Chesky's other binaural+ recordings as well. I'm especially fond of the ones by Alexis Cole, The New Appalachians, Wycliffe Gordon, and Amber Rubarth.

One tiny correction, though. Ron Carter played bass on this album, not Ray Brown.

Thank you for the correction. What was I thinking? I appreciate you informing me of my mistake, given I added the selection to my library with the correct names.

And thank you for the recommendations. I have noticed those recordings and passed them up. Until now. Given your recommendation and my present experience, I have more to learn.

To all, my apologies for the error. I have attended live performances with Ron Carter over the years, and both Carter and Brown, Chambers, McBride, and on and on. Everything I wrote that I attributed to Brown belongs to Carter, who is magnificent and has been for a long time. And so is Brown. I recently used the André Previn, Joe Pass, Ray Brown album After Hours to test the new W4S Recovery USB Reclocker and lost my bearings. But what a pleasure anyway.

Thankyou Kumakuma for the gentle correction. Will explore your recommendations now that I know what I didn't know before.

Best,

Richard

• 3 weeks later...

I managed to download this before the 25% offer expired, and I'm really enjoying it on my near-field office system. Can't wait to hear it on the main system.

Very Sonny Rollins-y, IMO.

Chesky hits another home run. Thanks for the discount.

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5