IGNORED

Sonicorbiter - Native DSD support

vortecjr

I'm well aware of these. The links you provide are from March. I was just trying to point out that Amanero did not provide a link for the new firmware.

Update: I emailed Jussi L. and he advised that, "Their flashing application directly fetches it from their server. Firmware is not downloadable as a separate file, but instead it is flashed straight from their server. (in fact there are two firmwares, for the CPLD chip and for the MCU chip)"

Jesus, et al,

Correct me if I'm wrong but does this not have to still go through Jurgen's Linux certification (by DAC) and then you guys at Sonore need to write code for it to be seen by the microRendu? Furthermore,since dacs using Amanero are rather ubiquitous does not each dac manufacturer that uses them have to each approve their own implementation of the new firmware?

Jesus, et al,

Correct me if I'm wrong but does this not have to still go through Jurgen's Linux certification (by DAC) and then you guys at Sonore need to write code for it to be seen by the microRendu? Furthermore,since dacs using Amanero are rather ubiquitous does not each dac manufacturer that uses them have to each approve their own implementation of the new firmware?

The Amanero guys do not provide us any information so we have to figure it out as we go along:)

Amanero coordination:

The following Amanero based devices should be supported on Sonicorbiter V2.3:

-DACs with the following USB IDs (0x16d0, 0x071a) and firmware 1099rc2.

The following output modes on Sonicorbiter V2.3 should support to an Amanero based device:

- SqueezeLite output mode (plausible) Go to Settings / SqueezeLite and set DSD support to native DSD (Amanero)

- RoonReady output mode (plausible)

- NAA output mode (plausible)

* You may need to upgrade your unit.

Amanero coordination:

-DACs with the following USB IDs (0x16d0, 0x071a)

The following output modes on Sonicorbiter V2.3 should support to an Amanero based device:

- SqueezeLite output mode (plausible) Go to Settings / SqueezeLite and set DSD support to native DSD (Amanero)

So if my DAC is in the list and I upgraded my mRrendu, I just have to uncheck the DoP option? Or is there any other upgrade I have to do?

Audio system: APL Streamer-> APL DSD-MR MK2 DAC -> Audiopax Maggiore L50 Pre and M100 Monoblocks -> Tidal Contriva G2 speakers

Jesus,

Can you clarify what DSD rates are supported over DoP? Sorry if the info is here, couldn't find it.

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

Jesus,

I'm using a Microrendu with a Lampi Atlantic DAC. DAC Diagnotic on the MR shows the following

DAC description: Combo384 Amanero 16d0:071a

so looks like it should support Native DSD on V2.3 (confirmed latest update).

I tried playing SDM pack=None using HQPlayer outputting DSD128 but no luck in NAA mode - HQPlayer just freezes.

I tried playing a native DSD64 file in RoonReady mode but no dice either.

Have not tried Squeezelite mode as I haven't used it before and don't really know the setup required to make it work.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Amanero coordination:

-DACs with the following USB IDs (0x16d0, 0x071a)

Jesus,

I'm using a Microrendu with a Lampi Atlantic DAC. DAC Diagnotic on the MR shows the following

so looks like it should support Native DSD on V2.3 (confirmed latest update).

I tried playing SDM pack=None using HQPlayer outputting DSD128 but no luck in NAA mode - HQPlayer just freezes.

I tried playing a native DSD64 file in RoonReady mode but no dice either.

Have not tried Squeezelite mode as I haven't used it before and don't really know the setup required to make it work.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Support on your DAC needs to be installed in the form of firmware update to the Amanero and It has to be be done by Lampizator. You might be able to check which version you have installed though.

Which output mode? It's not here because this is the native DSD section:)

I get that... But does it make sense to start a new thread asking what DoP DSD rates are supported?

The info I gathered is sketchy across the board when it comes to DoP DSD rates. My impression is DoP 1.0 supports DSD64, DoP 1.1 supports DSD128. And that's it, no higher rates are supported.

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

I get that... But does it make sense to start a new thread asking what DoP DSD rates are supported?

The info I gathered is sketchy across the board when it comes to DoP DSD rates. My impression is DoP 1.0 supports DSD64, DoP 1.1 supports DSD128. And that's it, no higher rates are supported.

1.1 talks about DSD128 support, but higher rates can be supported. You can read the 1.1 spec here: http://www.sonore.us/DoP_openStandard_1v1.pdf. The issue above DSD128 is the PCM sample rate needed to achieve support and the fact that there are very few DACs what support them. If you are looking for example of a DAC that does support DSD256 via DoP the iFi Micro iDSD is one of them.

My Lampi big 7 is playing dsd512 attached to a windows server.

With the mRendu (v. 2.3) I can't play more than dsd 128 in DoP.

If I uncheck DoP it just plays PCM.

Audio system: APL Streamer-> APL DSD-MR MK2 DAC -> Audiopax Maggiore L50 Pre and M100 Monoblocks -> Tidal Contriva G2 speakers

My Lampi big 7 is playing dsd512 attached to a windows server.

Thats great, but it's not relevant to this discussion:)

With the mRendu (v. 2.3) I can't play more than dsd 128 in DoP.

As expected.

If I uncheck DoP it just plays PCM.

As expected.

The Linux driver and the Amanero firmware are still being tested so best to wait and see what happens.

Also going forward Lampi owners posting here will need to provide their USB firmware number and output mode used.

That great, but it's not relevant to this discussion.

As expected.

As expected.

The Linux driver and the Amanero firmware are still being tested so best to wait and see what happens.

Also going forward Lampi owners posting here will need to provide their USB firmware number and output mode used.

Roon/HQPlayer mode.

So, DSD128 is the upper limit for MR using DoP even if the DAC is capable of 705/768 PCM rates?

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile

No. If you read my Holo Spring dac review I mention in there that the microRednu to Singxer SU-1 does DSD256 via DoP (until Jesus and gang approve the native Linux soon; I put in for it some months ago). So did the actual Holo dac before it was added to the certified list (i.e it does native DSD512 now).

• 2 weeks later...
This thread is intended to be a supplement to the Sonore Sonicorbiter SE and microRendu user manuals. The manuals contains quick start information that can be viewed here:

Sonicorbiter SE - User Manual

microRendu - User Manual

The Sonore Sonicorbiter SE and microRendu support native DSD with certain output modes. Currently the NAA, MPD/DLNA, SqueezeLite, and RoonReady output modes support native DSD.

The Sonore Sonicorbiter SE and microRendu support native DSD with certain DACs. If your DAC is not listed below you can continue to play DSD via DoP streaming. DoP encapsulates DSD into a format without data loss that can be streamed to your DAC.

We may be able to add your DAC to the list of devices that support native DSD, but we will need some information for you. We have added a feature named DAC Diagnostics that will display the information we need. Fair warning: Not all DACs will support native DSD, some DACs may require a firmware update from the manufacturer, and it takes time to make your DAC available on the system for native DSD.

List of devices that support native DSD on the Sonore microRendu and Sonore Sonicorbiter SE (software update on your unit might be required):

Please follow this update procedure:

1. Go to Apps and select Software Manager

2. Now select Update

3. Wait for "Back to main menu" to appear at the bottom of the screen and ignore any Complete notices

Aune X1S

Amanero USB to i2s/DSD interface - pending update, pending Amanero firmware

Auralic Vega

Bryston BDA3

Denon DA300-USB

DIYINHK

Eastern Electric MiniMax

exD DAC - supported on new DACs, old DACs need firmware update from exD

Gustard DAC-X20U

Holo Audio Springs DAC

iFi Micro

iFi Nano

JLsounds DIY I2SoverUSB

Lampizator Amber

LH Labs Geek Out

LH Labs Geek Pulse X

LH Labs VI DAC Infinity

Locket WaveIO DIY USB to i2s interface

Marantz SA-14S1, HD-DAC1

Matrix Audio X-Sabre, Mini-i Pro

Matrix Audio Quattro 2

MSB Technology

Mytek Brooklyn DAC

NuPrime DAC-9

NuPrime DAC-10H

NuPrime HD-AVP/AVA

NuPrime IDA-8

Oppo HA-1

Oppo HA-2

Playback Design

PS Audio NuWave

Soekris DAC 1101

Sonore USB to SPDIF/i2s converter

Unison Research Unico CD Due

W4S - pending update, pending W4S firmware

Note: Native DSD playback can produce noise between tracks, change in rate, and when playback is paused/stopped/resummed. This noise is expected and depends on your DAC's firmware. The noise can be at full volume. For best results select DoP for DSD playback

Contact me if you have one of our network player and want your DAC supported: [email protected]

Add the lyngdorf tdai 2170 to your list of devices that support native DSD. Mine seems to work best when set to DoP (which I don't quite understand ... need to do more homework).

On another note, will the sonicorbiter support audio out via HDMI?

I would think since it's a customized CuBox-i2 it would be a simple software configuration issue. Can this be done or does it perhaps already have that capability?

If not, this would be an amazing option to add. It wouldn't have the limits of the Toslink, and would add hi-res options to some HT Processors and Receivers that don't have USB input. For example, I have a Cary Cinema 12 that has no USB input, but can handle hi res via it's HDMI. Instead I'm forced to use a USB to SPDIF Converter (Peachtree Audio X1 ... which does seem to have some issues with the Cary). Given the bandwidth in HDMI this should great alternative. Lyngdorf thinks enough of it to include HDMI inputs as an option. Also, these would more likely supported by most modern HT Receivers.

If you could do that I'd have a great excuse to upgrade my lyngdorf's input to the microRendu, and I could demote the the sonicorbiter to the Cary!!! :-) Or better yet, offer your next version of the microRendu with either USB or HDMI out.

Add the lyngdorf tdai 2170 to your list of devices that support native DSD. Mine seems to work best when set to DoP (which I don't quite understand ... need to do more homework).

On another note, will the sonicorbiter support audio out via HDMI?

I would think since it's a customized CuBox-i2 it would be a simple software configuration issue. Can this be done or does it perhaps already have that capability?

If not, this would be an amazing option to add. It wouldn't have the limits of the Toslink, and would add hi-res options to some HT Processors and Receivers that don't have USB input. For example, I have a Cary Cinema 12 that has no USB input, but can handle hi res via it's HDMI. Instead I'm forced to use a USB to SPDIF Converter (Peachtree Audio X1 ... which does seem to have some issues with the Cary). Given the bandwidth in HDMI this should great alternative. Lyngdorf thinks enough of it to include HDMI inputs as an option. Also, these would more likely supported by most modern HT Receivers.

If you could do that I'd have a great excuse to upgrade my lyngdorf's input to the microRendu, and I could demote the the sonicorbiter to the Cary!!! :-) Or better yet, offer your next version of the microRendu with either USB or HDMI out.

I would love to, but that is not how this list works. Only specific products are supported by design. If your device works it is only a coincidence and I will need some information from you to understand why. Please provide the output of Apps / DAC Diagnostic.

HDMI support is not as straightforward as it seems. We have looked into it already and have decided not to support it.

I would love to, but that is not how this list works. Only specific products are supported by design. If your device works it is only a coincidence and I will need some information from you to understand why. Please provide the output of Apps / DAC Diagnostic.

HDMI support is not as straightforward as it seems. We have looked into it already and have decided not to support it.

My apologies ... didn't realize there's something akin to a certification/approval process. My intent was just to inform other forum members that the unit does support DSD playback without issues.

The diagnostic information is provided below

---------------------

Lyngdorf Audio A/S Lyngdorf Audio A/S at usb-ci_hdrc.1-1, high speed : USB Audio

Playback:

Interface 2

Altset 1

Format: S32_LE

Channels: 2

Endpoint: 5 OUT (ASYNC)

Rates: 32000, 44100, 48000, 88200, 96000, 176400, 192000, 352800, 384000

Data packet interval: 125 usStatus: Unknown (status not available when device is not playing)Simple mixer control 'Lyngdorf Audio A/S',0

Capabilities: pvolume pswitch

Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right

Limits: Playback 0 - 32767

Mono:

Front Left: Playback 32767 [100%] [0.00dB] [on]

Front Right: Playback 32767 [100%] [0.00dB] [on]

Simple mixer control 'Lyngdorf Audio A/S',1

Capabilities: pvolume pvolume-joined pswitch pswitch-joined

Playback channels: Mono

Limits: Playback 0 - 32767

Mono: Playback 32767 [100%] [0.00dB] [on]

---------------------

Sorry to hear HDMI implementation is more complicated than I suspected. Would have been another major selling point to differentiate an already great product, but I understand you need to focus resource in areas with best return. Thanks again for you're prompt responses here!

My apologies ... didn't realize there's something akin to a certification/approval process. My intent was just to inform other forum members that the unit does support DSD playback without issues.

The diagnostic information is provided below

---------------------

Lyngdorf Audio A/S Lyngdorf Audio A/S at usb-ci_hdrc.1-1, high speed : USB Audio

This DAC does not support native DSD on Linux. Your best bet is to use DoP.

Hi Jesus,

Can I ask what are the settings if I want to play native dsd512 on the Holo Audio Spring DAC which is said to be Linux compatible in playing dsd512? I owned a t+a dsd8dac and there is no problem in playing dsd512 with HQplayer on my Windows10 PC so I understand what are the basics in playing dsd512 with HQplayer. I just bought a Holo Audio Spring DAC and I have set up my microrendu with Ultracap LPS-1 and connected to my Win 10 PC in my network. I can play dsd256 only( HQplayer indicated 112800 but Holo Spring only show dsd256). I have updated the microrendu software from 2.1 to 2.3 and result is still the same. Is there anything I can do to make it play dsd512. I read it in the other threads that Ted B is using the same configuration and can play dsd512? Thanks.