IGNORED

Sonicorbiter - Native DSD support

vortecjr

This thread is intended to be a supplement to the Sonore Rendu series user manuals. The manuals contain quick start information that can be viewed here:

Sonicorbiter Rendu Series - User Manuals

The Sonore Rendu series supports native DSD with certain output modes. Currently, the NAA, MPD/DLNA, SqueezeLite, and RoonReady output modes support native DSD.

The Sonore Rendu series supports native DSD with most DACs. If your DAC is not supported you can continue to play DSD via DoP streaming. DoP encapsulates DSD into a format without data loss that can be streamed to most DSD capable DACs.

We may be able to add your DAC to the list of devices that support native DSD, but we will need some information for you. We have added a feature named DAC Diagnostics that will display the information we need. Fair warning: Not all DACs will support native DSD, some DACs may require a firmware update from the manufacturer, and it takes time to make your DAC available on the system for native DSD.

Software update on your unit might also be required and software version 2.7 or greater is recommended. 

Please follow this update procedure:

1. Go to Apps and select Software Manager

2. Now select Update **do not interrupt the update**

3. Wait for "Back to Main Menu" to appear at the bottom of the screen and ignore any Complete notices

4. Reboot your unit 

SPECIAL NOTES:

Sonicorbiter 2.7 and newer releases - Adds auto recognition of devices that support Native DSD playback under Linux.

Sonicorbiter 2.5 and newer releases - Native DSD playback is POP free between PCM/DSD transitions.

Sonicorbiter 2.4 and earlier releases - Native DSD playback can produce noise between tracks, change in rate, and when playback is paused/stopped/resumed. This noise is expected and can be at full volume. For best results select DoP for DSD playback or upgrade to Sonicorbiter 2.5 and or newer releases.

I'm puzzled as to why "Are" (I assume you mean Ayre) is on the list of DACs that do not support native DSD. I use Sonicorbiter software, without DSD over DoP enabled. DSF files play just fine.

SonicTransporter i9 > EtherRegen (optical out) > LUMIN P1 > LUMIN Amp > YG Kipod Signature Passive speakers.

I'm puzzled as to why "Are" (I assume you mean Ayre) is on the list of DACs that do not support native DSD. I use Sonicorbiter software, without DSD over DoP enabled. DSF files play just fine.

If it's playing you are likely streaming DoP. I can show you how to check it?

Jesus R

You want to check that box and then press save so the system sends DoP to your DAC.

Jesus R

Why? It works fine without that. I was just pointing out that your list might be incorrect regarding the Ayre DACs.

SonicTransporter i9 > EtherRegen (optical out) > LUMIN P1 > LUMIN Amp > YG Kipod Signature Passive speakers.

Why? It works fine without that. I was just pointing out that your list might be incorrect regarding the Ayre DACs.

If you don't it will convert the DSD content to PCM. The list is correct regarding the Ayre DACs. There is no code in the driver to support native DSD with the Ayre DACs. In addition, SqueezeLite does not support the native DSD format.

Jesus R

If you don't it will convert the DSD content to PCM. The list is correct regarding the Ayre DACs. There is no code in the driver to support native DSD with the Ayre DACs. In addition, SqueezeLite does not support the native DSD format.

Jesus R

My apologies. I just received my server back from Andrew (for a storage upgrade). I hadn't played DSF files since the return. Everything was reset and the box was unchecked, but I didn't realize it had been changed from before. I just tested again and you are right of course.

My apologies. I just received my server back from Andrew (for a storage upgrade). I hadn't played DSF files since the return. Everything was reset and the box was unchecked, but I didn't realize it had been changed from before. I just tested again and you are right of course.

No problem. I just wanted to clarify what it was doing.

Jesus R

• 3 weeks later...
No problem. I just wanted to clarify what it was doing.

Jesus R

Some Updates:

The Sonicorbiter's operating system has been updated to support native DSD on three additional DACs. The unit now supports the Mytek Brooklyn DAC, NuPrime DAC-10, and the Oppo HA-2. Upgrade the unit from the GUI and wait for a "Back to Main Menu" link to appear at the bottom of the status section. After the "Back to Main Menu" link appears complete the update by rebooting the unit. Please test and provide feedback.

Jesus R

List of DACs that support native DSD on the Sonore Sonicorbiter SE:

iFi Micro and Nano - up to DSD512

Jesus, I believe it's only up to DSD256 on the Nano.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

List of DACs that support native DSD on the Sonore Sonicorbiter SE:

Marantz SA-14S1, HD-DAC1

Denon DA300-USB

Matrix X-Sabre, Mini-i Pro

Aune X1S

Gustard DAC-X20U

DIYINHK

iFi Micro - up to DSD512

iFi Nano - up to DSD256

PS Audio NuWave - up to DSD256

Oppo HA-1 - up to DSD256

Oppo HA-2 - up to DSD256

Mytek Brooklyn - up to DSD256

NuPrime DAC-10H - up to DSD256

W4S - pending tests

Auralic Vega - pending tests

JLsounds I2SoverUSB - DIY board, up to DSD256

Contact me if you want your DAC supported: [email protected]

Jesus R, many thanks for getting native DSD support implemented on the Mytek Brooklyn DAC! Your support is greatly appreciated.

Larry

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

PS Audio NuWave - up to DSD256

Can this be right? From the specs on the PS Audio site, it looks like the NuWave only does up to DSD128.

--David (shopping for a new DAC that will do native DSD256 with the SOSE or the microRendu.)

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

Can this be right? From the specs on the PS Audio site, it looks like the NuWave only does up to DSD128.

--David (shopping for a new DAC that will do native DSD256 with the SOSE or the microRendu.)

Sure, why are you surprised? That's true for lots of DACs, even new ones.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Sure, why are you surprised? That's true for lots of DACs, even new ones.

Only because Jesus's list says "up to DSD256," but PS Audio says the NuWave can only do DSD128.

I'm struggling with candidates for a DAC upgrade. it doesn't appear that there are a lot that will do native DSD256 via the SOSE or microRendu (for me, in HQP NAA mode) and will actually be better than what I have now and won't go over my maximum price point of US$3500 or thereabouts.

So far, my top candidates (on paper only at this point) are the NuPrime DAC-10 (a bargain if it's better than the Mytek), the W4S DAC-2 DSDse (if/when Jesus's efforts come to fruition), maybe the Mytek Brooklyn, and perhaps the mythical iDSD Pro.

Recommendations are welcome.

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

The Mytek Brooklyn sounds terrific and works very well with HQplayer with or without an NAA at DSD256. It is also upgradeable with an external power supply and clock. With 30 day trial, why wouldn't you give it a shot?

The Brooklyn replaced my Auralic Vega and I am delighted with the results. It is a big upgrade all around.

The Mytek Brooklyn sounds terrific and works very well with HQplayer with or without an NAA at DSD256. It is also upgradeable with an external power supply and clock. With 30 day trial, why wouldn't you give it a shot?

The Brooklyn replaced my Auralic Vega and I am delighted with the results. It is a big upgrade all around.

Thanks for the recommendation, Larry. It's encouraging that you find the Brooklyn to be a clear step up from the Vega.

--David

Yes, the sound quality is beautiful with the Brooklyn. Zorntel also has a Vega and a Brooklyn and I hear he is very pleased with the Brooklyn especially at DSD256 with the Sonicorbiter SE.

I'm learning how to tweak the Brooklyn. The USB implementation is proprietary and done in an FPGA so its upgradeable. Not that it needs it. It is so good, I've removed all USB enhancement boxes for now and just use a supra cable. The digital volume control sounds better then the analog. At the start my one high quality 12 volt linear power supply powered the Brooklyn. However I moved it back to my audio PC for now, and the Brooklyn is powered by its internal SMPS supply. Replacing the low quality power supply on my PC in combination with the dacs internal supply is a better balance. The internal supply took a few days to break in. Once done the system has hit a level of openness, deep deep bass and resolution never heard with any prior DAC.

Last week I had a 72 year old "golden ear" over for a listen. He was introduced to me by the top audio dealer in CT. He has been an audiophile for 50 years and has owned every major piece of gear introduced over that time. We ripped his music CDs and had a listen to Brooklyn. After tweaking a few things, he declared we were done and asked if he could buy mine.

Sorry back to the Sonicorbiter SE.

Some Updates:

Please test and provide feedback.

Jesus R

Just saw your post update. I updated the SOSE software to the newest version, rebooted both the SOSE and RoonServer. No playback issues but one thing i noticed is that Roon still shows 1.0.9 as the version number and the SOSE shows the RoonReady Version number as 1.0.11. I don't know if this matters or not but thought i would relay it. Highest DSD resloution in Roon for my NuPrime is showing DSD128 as well, though i belive you stated that was a limitation on that side.

Thanks.

Native DSD256 has been reconfirmed on the PS Audio NuWave DAC.

Thanks very much for checking on this.

--David

@vortecjr--

Now for another annoying question:

@Foggie pointed me to this thread on the What's Best Forum:

Amanero now supporting native DSD In Linux

Does this mean that you could support native DSD on the Lampizator DACs with the SOSE or microRendu?

(My SOSE is in your order queue.)

--David