IGNORED

NY Philharmonic Names Jaap Van Zweden as Music Director

The New York Philharmonic Picks Jaap van Zweden - The New Yorker

I'm not familiar with any of his recordings. Anyone have any opinions on him or on him taking this post?

Any recordings of his to recommend?

His Bruckner symphonies have received some positive reviews. I heard him conducting the Philadelphia Orchestra not too long ago and was impressed by the performance (sorry I can't remember what the program was). I think that he will prove to be a good choice.

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

This, after Berlin, is now a second major orchestra that choses a relatively unknown conductor. I don't have a single recording by him, and even Qobuz just lists 9 albums.

Here's a nice comment by Jens F Laurson, a music journalist and blogger that I really appreciate:

Forbes Welcome

He recorded also with Polyhymnia and Challenge Records which are quite high end recording labels - they've produced quite a lot of SACDs, but indeed selling most of the stuff as physical medium - except the repertoire already available through the Spirit of Turtle (Northstar) online shop in PCM and DSD.

--

Krzysztof Maj

http://mkrzych.wordpress.com/

"Music is the highest form of art. It is also the most noble. It is human emotion, captured, crystallised, encased… and then passed on to others." - By Ken Ishiwata

Follow-up: His Bruckner's 1st Symphony (Challenge Classics) was a Gramophone Editor's Choice for June 2015. It is available from Presto Classical as a SACD or 16/44 download; available as a DSD download from nativedsd if you prefer that flavor.

CC72556.jpg

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

Follow-up: His Bruckner's 1st Symphony (Challenge Classics) was a Gramophone Editor's Choice for June 2015. It is available from Presto Classical as a SACD or 16/44 download; available as a DSD download from nativedsd if you prefer that flavor.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23828[/ATTACH]

Available here with all flavors you can imagine: Bruckner: Symphony No. 1 (Download) | The Spirit of Turtle

BTW, I was rather thinking about Bruckner's 8th...

--

Krzysztof Maj

"Music is the highest form of art. It is also the most noble. It is human emotion, captured, crystallised, encased… and then passed on to others." - By Ken Ishiwata

Available here with all flavors you can imagine: Bruckner: Symphony No. 1 (Download) | The Spirit of Turtle

BTW, I was rather thinking about Bruckner's 8th...

Wow, that is a lot of flavors, also a lot of upsampling going on as the recording was made in DSD64. Does anyone know what the optimal conversion rate is for converting DSD64 to PCM?

I really like his Bruckner 8th. Saw him live with his Dallas orchestra in the Concertgebouw playing Mahler 6th, which was a little rough around the edges, but all the more thrilling for it. He had a very good reputation in the Netherlands as conductor of regional orchestras before going international (which turned out to be quite a success too).

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile mobile app

I really like his Bruckner 8th. Saw him live with his Dallas orchestra in the Concertgebouw playing Mahler 6th, which was a little rough around the edges, but all the more thrilling for it. He had a very good reputation in the Netherlands as conductor of regional orchestras before going international (which turned out to be quite a success too).

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile mobile app

Yes, but I think 8th is not for everyone. 1st is the lightest one and quite "eatable". I have Jansons' 3rd and 4th and Fisher's 7th. Like the sound of RCO Live!.

--

Krzysztof Maj

This, after Berlin, is now a second major orchestra that choses a relatively unknown conductor. I don't have a single recording by him, and even Qobuz just lists 9 albums.

Here's a nice comment by Jens F Laurson, a music journalist and blogger that I really appreciate:

Forbes Welcome

We'll really miss him in Dallas :(

I only have a couple of his recordings myself (Britten "War Requiem" with Netherlands Radio Philharmonic and Dvořák "New World" with Dallas), but I quite like both of them.

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

Thanks, i may grab the Bruckner no. 1.

If you do, please let us know what you think. I have been wavering on this one for quite a while.

If you do, please let us know what you think. I have been wavering on this one for quite a while.

I've downloaded the 1st from Spirit of Turtle shop and to me sound amazing. Cannot say too much about performance, 'case I am not Bruckner expert, but I really enjoy it. Here is the plot which is genuine high resolution recording for sure - huge dynamics and very good noise floor (way below -100dB), all the bits used as well.

Screen Shot 2016-01-30 at 11.20.59.png

--

Krzysztof Maj

I've downloaded the 1st from Spirit of Turtle shop and to me sound amazing. Cannot say too much about performance, 'case I am not Bruckner expert, but I really enjoy it. Here is the plot which is genuine high resolution recording for sure - huge dynamics and very good noise floor (way below -100dB), all the bits used as well.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23855[/ATTACH]

Thanks for this info Krzysztof. Just curious:

1) why did you purchase PCM instead of DSD (original format)?

2) are there any ticks, clicks or other undesirable noises between tracks?

Now you have me seriously considering this one.

Thanks for this info Krzysztof. Just curious:

1) why did you purchase PCM instead of DSD (original format)?

2) are there any ticks, clicks or other undesirable noises between tracks?

Now you have me seriously considering this one.

Because I don't have DSD DAC and possible benefit for DSD starts with DSD128.

Didn't hear any ticks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

--

Krzysztof Maj

Because I don't have DSD DAC and possible benefit for DSD starts with DSD128.

Didn't hear any ticks.

I wouldn't be too "religious" about thinking the possible benefit starts with DSD128. Like anything else, the possible benefit starts with a good recording. :)

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I wouldn't be too "religious" about thinking the possible benefit starts with DSD128. Like anything else, the possible benefit starts with a good recording. :)

Ditto

--

Krzysztof Maj

Like anything else, the possible benefit starts with a good recording. :)

Amen to that!

Enjoying this video:

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Enjoying this video:

Good find! My wife and I just saw this performed last weekend in Berlin by Gustavo Dudamel and the Simon Bolivar Symphony Orchestra. It's hard to compare a live concert in a great hall to a youtube recording, but even though i was blown away in person, this is even more expertly played.

Van Zweden has been MD of Dallas, and took over the Hong Kong Phil in 2012, from another Dutchman, Edo de Waart. Interesting that he became concertmaster of the Concertgebouw Orchestra at age 18!

Larry

Analog-VPIClas3,3DArm,LyraSkala+MiyajimaZeromono,Herron VTPH2APhono,2AmpexATR-102+MerrillTridentMaster TapePreamp

Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacificMicrosonicsModel2; Dig Play-Lampi Horizon, mch NADAC, Roon-HQPlayer,Oppo105

Electronics-DoshiPre,CJ MET1mchPre,Cary2A3monoamps; Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR

Other-2x512EngineerMarutaniSymmetrical Power+Cables Music-1.8KR2Rtapes,1.5KCD's,500SACDs,50+TBripped files

I downloaded the 24/96 from the Spirit of Turtle site. Excellent recording, these people (Northstar Recording) really know how to record an orchestra. I don't listen to Bruckner's 1st very often but with such a fine recording I may have to start. I will be keeping my eye out for more recordings from this source.

bkinbk - hope that you got some idea of what you can expect from van Zweden in New York from this thread.

I downloaded the 24/96 from the Spirit of Turtle site. Excellent recording, these people (Northstar Recording) really know how to record an orchestra. I don't listen to Bruckner's 1st very often but with such a fine recording I may have to start. I will be keeping my eye out for more recordings from this source.

bkinbk - hope that you got some idea of what you can expect from van Zweden in New York from this thread.

Ive been enjoying this too and am also new-ish to Bruckner. This has been an awesome thread thus far. It remains to be seen how much of a leader and visionary Van Zweden will be, but the NY Philharmonic will certainly be playing their asses off!