IGNORED

Best Nvidia CUDA Card for HQPlayer

juliocat

12 hours ago, Miska said:

You need SLI only if you want to have two cards, which is not yet really supported by HQPlayer. Usually the SLI bridges come with the motherboard. But if you go for SLI, I'd recommend picking a CPU that has 32 or more PCIe lanes.

Thanks, Miska

I was not really thinking of using more than one NVIDIA card. I have an Intel S1200V3RPM Motherboard with a XEON E3-1226 v3 processor (4core, 4 threads, 3.4GHz) and I was wondering whether an NVIDIA (e.g. 1060) card could be used to offload processing in this scenario.

12 hours ago, Miska said:

I have one machine with Ryzen 7 1700X and it performs fine for the price. Very good bang for the buck, but nothing really spectacular.

Interesting benchmarks here and here. Might indicate why you are not seeing stellar performance. I guess Ryzen will take some time to mature for audio applications.

12 hours ago, jacobacci said:

Interesting benchmarks here and here. Might indicate why you are not seeing stellar performance. I guess Ryzen will take some time to mature for audio applications.

That's slightly different thing. But if you compare for example to i7-6950X, it is quite far in terms of performance. Although as is the price too... So it is more like what you are after, price/performance ratio or just the top performance regardless of price.

Anyway, HQPlayer now with the latest multicore support can pretty well utilize the Ryzens too. But the same also helps on CPUs like the 6950X.

But I'm pretty sure both AMD and Intel will keep pushing out new CPUs, so the competition just makes things even more interesting. :)

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

12 hours ago, jacobacci said:

I was not really thinking of using more than one NVIDIA card. I have an Intel S1200V3RPM Motherboard with a XEON E3-1226 v3 processor (4core, 4 threads, 3.4GHz) and I was wondering whether an NVIDIA (e.g. 1060) card could be used to offload processing in this scenario.

Yes, certainly you can lift off some work from the CPU to free time for other tasks. I'm not sure 1060 is necessarily best option for that purpose. 1080 would more likely give notable improvement.

I use the ASUS STRIX-series GTX 1080. The card is huge, so it needs a large case to fit. But the benefit is that it is acoustically quiet (large heat sink and three fairly big fans running only as necessary at speeds necessary).

13 hours ago, louisxiawei said:

Then, what setup will fulfill the mighty poly-sinc-xrt non-2s at 48K*512 in the case of two channel system?

since i7 7700k alone cannot, what about i7 7700K with one GTX 1080 Ti or two GTX 1080TI SLI?

My i7-6950X can run it with auto rate family, without CUDA. Really almost nothing left to spare, but it works...

Just picked up a used Nvidia GTX TITAN BLACK. If reports are correct, it seems like this used card will still significantly exceed the GTX1080 in FP64 performance even with the older architecture due to the much higher FP64 performance. Will see if it will help get rid of the few remaining hiccups I have. Microrendu still will not do DSD256/512 native to the Amanero on my Lampi so I don't really have a demanding way to test this.

Miska, do you think the Titan will do better than the GTX1080 on DSD512 polysinc-xtr?

18 hours ago, Miska said:

Yes, certainly you can lift off some work from the CPU to free time for other tasks. I'm not sure 1060 is necessarily best option for that purpose. 1080 would more likely give notable improvement.

This HQ Player really is a hungry beast.

Doesn't look like I'll get anywhere with my XEON E3-1226 v3 + graphics card.

Will a combo of i7 7700K and MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X+ 8G be able to do poly-sinc-xrt non-2s at 48K*512? Or is that still not enough?

15 hours ago, jacobacci said:

This HQ Player really is a hungry beast.

Doesn't look like I'll get anywhere with my XEON E3-1226 v3 + graphics card.

Will a combo of i7 7700K and MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X+ 8G be able to do poly-sinc-xrt non-2s at 48K*512? Or is that still not enough?

RedBook to 48x512 with poly-sinc-xtr? I don't know what would be able to do that. My i7-6950X can do RedBook to 44.1x512 with poly-sinc-xtr. GTX 1080 cannot...

Maybe someone with Kepler-generation Nvidia card could comment their experiences on that...

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/28/2017 at 6:36 PM, Miska said:

I use the ASUS STRIX-series GTX 1080. The card is huge, so it needs a large case to fit. But the benefit is that it is acoustically quiet (large heat sink and three fairly big fans running only as necessary at speeds necessary).

In my experience here, a GTX1060 runs at 70-80% using poly-sinc hb @512 which is the most GPU intensive filter that I am aware of besides xtr. It runs @ under 50% for the others if staying within the same family rate except the xtr filter which I cannot run.

No one seems very interested in it, but by over clocking my old i7 3770k and adding a GTX1060 I have attained solid 512 on all filters except the xtr.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

On 4/28/2017 at 5:34 AM, Miska said:

900-series is just one generation older than 1000-series, no benefit buying 900-series now except if you happen to get one at very reasonable price.

You need SLI only if you want to have two cards, which is not yet really supported by HQPlayer. Usually the SLI bridges come with the motherboard. But if you go for SLI, I'd recommend picking a CPU that has 32 or more PCIe lanes.

I have one machine with Ryzen 7 1700X and it performs fine for the price. Very good bang for the buck, but nothing really spectacular.

Miska, I'm new here but I have been reading for quite sometime. I have tried HQpayer with my old i7 3XXX PC and like it a lot . I'm building a new audio PC for HQplayer and Roon and having difficulty in choosing Intel i7-7700k or Ryzen 1700X (I believe many people are having the same problem...). Due to tight budget, I will be only getting a 1060/6GB graphic card. I will be using it for DSD512 stereo playback and Pi2 as NAA. As you have experienced with both CPUs and supporting multicore CPUs, which one could you recommend? Faster base speed vs moderate speed with more cores. Thank you very much in advance!

20 minutes ago, Ringohung said:

Miska, I'm new here but I have been reading for quite sometime. I have tried HQpayer with my old i7 3XXX PC and like it a lot . I'm building a new audio PC for HQplayer and Roon and having difficulty in choosing Intel i7-7700k or Ryzen 1700X (I believe many people are having the same problem...). Due to tight budget, I will be only getting a 1060/6GB graphic card. I will be using it for DSD512 stereo playback and Pi2 as NAA. As you have experienced with both CPUs and supporting multicore CPUs, which one could you recommend? Faster base speed vs moderate speed with more cores. Thank you very much in advance!

Are you sure that Pi2 would support properly DSD512 playback? I thought you may incur into problems in terms of Ethernet  bandwidth. 

RasPi 1/2 are not so great for USB DACs, because the ethernet interface is connected to the same USB bus as the USB connector, causing all kinds of problems. RasPi 3 may have similar problems, but to little lesser extent. So RasPi is mostly Ok for NAA use with DAC/SPDIF boards that sit straight on the RasPi board and use the I2S bus instead (HifiBerry, etc).

20 minutes ago, Miska said:

RasPi 1/2 are not so great for USB DACs, because the ethernet interface is connected to the same USB bus as the USB connector, causing all kinds of problems. RasPi 3 may have similar problems, but to little lesser extent. So RasPi is mostly Ok for NAA use with DAC/SPDIF boards that sit straight on the RasPi board and use the I2S bus instead (HifiBerry, etc).

I see. So Pi2 may not be a good choice for NAA. Thanks for your advice. Any suggestion on my query about 7700k vs 1700X? I'm about to pull the  trigger but still not sure which one to go for.

On ‎26‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 10:49 AM, Ringohung said:

I see. So Pi2 may not be a good choice for NAA

I would suggest to look at Odroid C2 for NAA. It has a proper GigE RJ45 port with its own controller separate from the USB.

Caveat: I have not tried this setup, but from a spec perspective it should work significantly better than RP2 or RP3.

I use Odroid C2 with Volumio as a streamer and I can stream DSD512 to a USB DAC (with no resampling or other processing of course).

21 hours ago, jacobacci said:

I would suggest to look at Odroid C2 for NAA. It has a proper GigE RJ45 port with its own controller separate from the USB.

Caveat: I have not tried this setup, but from a spec perspective it should work significantly better than RP2 or RP3.

I use Odroid C2 with Volumio as a streamer and I can stream DSD512 to a USB DAC (with no resampling or other processing of course).

Thanks for your suggestion. I love to have a NAA with such small profile!

• 1 month later...
On 4/28/2017 at 5:36 PM, Miska said:

I will be upgrading my power supply with HDPLEX 400W and it seems 1080 became an option now. It will be paired with i7 7700 (non K).
There are many ASUS Strix models, which is the one you are using?
Has there been any other cards released (1080) in the mean time, other than ASUS, which are quieter?
Have you noticed any coil whine with Asus?

Vinnie Rossi LIO (AVC/Tubestage, AMP Module with built in HPF 100Hz 24dB/octave, DAC 2.0), Harbeth P3ESR, Rythmik F8

Win10 i7-7700 -> Roon -> HQPlayer DSD512- > LIO 100Hz HPF -> Harbeth P3ESR

->LIO  -> miniDSP <100Hz -> Rythmik F8  

12 minutes ago, mirekti said:

Has there been any other cards released (1080) in the mean time, other than ASUS, which are quieter?

Some users have reported preference for the MSI 1080 Gaming X+

https://www.amazon.com/MSI-Gaming-GeForce-DirectX-Graphics/dp/B06ZY4SM98/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1500828440&sr=1-2&keywords=msi+1080+gaming+x%2B

Have a look at the reviews.  I have the MSI 1060 Gaming X and I've been very happy with it.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

Thanks, looks promising. 

23 minutes ago, rickca said:

I have the MSI 1060 Gaming X and I've been very happy with it.

What CPU are you using with it and what is the max you can go in stereo setup in terms of filters and modulators? 

Vinnie Rossi LIO (AVC/Tubestage, AMP Module with built in HPF 100Hz 24dB/octave, DAC 2.0), Harbeth P3ESR, Rythmik F8

Win10 i7-7700 -> Roon -> HQPlayer DSD512- > LIO 100Hz HPF -> Harbeth P3ESR

->LIO  -> miniDSP <100Hz -> Rythmik F8  

16 minutes ago, mirekti said:

What CPU are you using with it and what is the max you can go in stereo setup in terms of filters and modulators? 

I actually got the 1060 for gaming rather than HQPlayer CUDA offload so I don't have experience to report.  I'm using it with an i7-6700K.  I was simply trying to help with your question about a quiet card.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

3 hours ago, mirekti said:

I will be upgrading my power supply with HDPLEX 400W and it seems 1080 became an option now. It will be paired with i7 7700 (non K).
There are many ASUS Strix models, which is the one you are using?
Have you noticed any coil whine with Asus?

I think it was this one, but you may find some more accurate link from some of my posts around the time I installed it:

https://www.asus.com/Graphics-Cards/ROG-STRIX-GTX1080-A8G-GAMING/

No coil whine on my card. I'm pretty allergic to such (for example the Broadwell NUC I have does have some annoying whine). The machine is surprisingly silent now, really, especially given the amount of processing power it has.