IGNORED

Sonore microRendu

Yes, to be more precise, I have heard Exasound has a proprietary USB protocol enhancement of some sort for DSD playback. One was auditioned here on Windows and it sounds great, but this limitation stopped a purchase.

That is code for I don't want to share it with you. There is some evidence that suggests that it's just streaming DoP on Linux.

Jesus R

While the USB interface might be proprietary the Linux driver should not be. If they modified the Kernel with a patch to get it to support their DAC they should release the source code to the open source community. If they don't then they are in violation of the Kernel licensing. I have offered in the past to help in developing the driver and I recently requested the drivers without success. That aside just about every other device on the planet is supported...

Well, shoot, that is disappointing. Time to rethink my upgrade roadmap. Regardless, thanks for the clarification.

—David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

Well, shoot, that is disappointing. Time to rethink my upgrade roadmap. Regardless, thanks for the clarification.

—David

E-mail them and ask for the driver. If they have a driver complied from source code and it's not a patch to the Linux kernel then there should be no reason not to give it to customers.

Jesus R

E-mail them and ask for the driver. If they have a driver complied from source code and it's not a patch to the Linux kernel then there should be no reason not to give it to customers.

Jesus R

—David

David, Jesus, I will send a request to George at exaSound. David why don't you do the same. I might open a thread on CA for all exaSound owners to express their interest in having the Linux Driver available for the exaSound DACs .

Jesus, just to be clear, it is the Linux Driver for using DSD native (not DoP), correct?

Ambassador for Sound Galleries Monaco and Taiko Audio The Netherlands 

Sound Test USA

[email protected]

Sound Galleries SGM 2015 Music Server>ROON-all rates up-sampled to DSD512 by HQ Player>Sablon Reserva 2017 USB>T+A DAC 8 DSD>Merrill Audio Veritas Ncore NC1200 Mono Amps>B&W 802D>High Fidelity Cables Interconnect, Speaker & Power Cords for Amps & SGM & T+A>Power Conditioning High Fidelity MC-6 Hemisphere>T+A & Hemisphere supported by Stillpoints Ultra Mini - B&W 802D & Veritas supported by Stillpoints Ultra SS>All sitting on IKEA Aptitlig bamboo butcher blocks - Taiko Audio Setchi active grounding on SGM & T+A

David, Jesus, I will send a request to George at exaSound. David why don't you do the same. I might open a thread on CA for all exaSound owners to express their interest in having the Linux Driver available for the exaSound DACs .

Jesus, just to be clear, it is the Linux Driver for using DSD native (not DoP), correct?

No. Their devices are not seen by the unit and you can't play anything to them.

Jesus R

No. Their devices are not seen by the unit and you can't play anything to them.

Jesus R

Jesus, I think I am not explaining right what I mean to ask.

1) If I understand you; The exaSound DACs will not work with the microRendu because exaSound does not have a Linux Driver available for use with their DACs. Is that correct?

2) If exaSound offered a Linux Driver for their DACs that would mean the microRendu would work with the exaSound DACs?

3) Does a Linux Driver allow the user of a DAC to use DSD direct/native without having to use DoP for DSD?

4) If so will the microRendu be able to play DSD direct/native without having to use DoP to play DSD?

I hope I am more clear in what I am asking. Also can you please answer each one separately?

Thank you.

Sound Test USA

[email protected]

Sound Galleries SGM 2015 Music Server>ROON-all rates up-sampled to DSD512 by HQ Player>Sablon Reserva 2017 USB>T+A DAC 8 DSD>Merrill Audio Veritas Ncore NC1200 Mono Amps>B&W 802D>High Fidelity Cables Interconnect, Speaker & Power Cords for Amps & SGM & T+A>Power Conditioning High Fidelity MC-6 Hemisphere>T+A & Hemisphere supported by Stillpoints Ultra Mini - B&W 802D & Veritas supported by Stillpoints Ultra SS>All sitting on IKEA Aptitlig bamboo butcher blocks - Taiko Audio Setchi active grounding on SGM & T+A

Jesus, I think I am not explaining right what I mean to ask.

1) If I understand you; The exaSound DACs will not work with the microRendu because exaSound does not have a Linux Driver available for use with their DACs. Is that correct?

2) If exaSound offered a Linux Driver for their DACs that would mean the microRendu would work with the exaSound DACs?

3) Does a Linux Driver allow the user of a DAC to use DSD direct/native without having to use DoP for DSD?

4) If so will the microRendu be able to play DSD direct/native without having to use DoP to play DSD?

I hope I am more clear in what I am asking. Also can you please answer each one separately?

Thank you.

I understand what you are asking, but it's a little premature to answer. Right now their devices are not supported and they are not cooperating to get them supported.

Jesus R

Jesus, sorry but I do not see why you can not answer at least some of my questions as they do not relate to only the exaSound but Linux Drivers and the microRendu in general.

And all are hypothetical. I ask IF so why not answer on that basses about the exaSound?

All I am just trying to do is understand two different, but related, things.

1) Can the microRendu, using a Linux Driver, handle DSD native/direct without using DoP?

2) IF exaSound ends up offering a Linux Driver, that is to Linux spec, SHOULD it be able to work with the microRendu?

The number one question is important to me regardless of the exaSound issue. I am not married to the exaSound DAC forever. However, Any DAC or "Server, Render" I use I would like to have them be able to do DSD direct/native and not just DSD by DoP.

So that capability in the microRendu is an important purchase decision for me.

Again, thank you in advance.

Sound Test USA

[email protected]

I am interested in an answer to a small variation to HiFiAl's question: will the microrendu (or sonicorbiter SE for that matter) pass native DSD to an Amenero USB input?

I have a Lampizator DAC with Amenero USB input and my understanding is that it can currently only receive DoP through a Linux NAA, but that there is now, or soon to be, a patch to the Linux OS that will allow passing native DSD?

Thanks Jesus!

Jordan

Synology NAS -> Quadcore i7, 3.8GHz -> RoonServer -> HQPlayer (all up sampled to DSD128) -> Sonore urendu (Uptone JS2 PS) -> Lampizator Golden Gate DAC -> Valvet A4 Monoblocks -> Zu Audio Definitions Mk4

Yes, I'll do so, per Jesus's suggestion … although understand that I'm a prospective ExaSound customer rather than a current one.

Two more annoying questions for Jesus, just so I can understand the situation a little better: We know that ExaSound has some kind of Linux driver because the ExaSound PlayPoint is Linux-based, right? And since other Linux-oriented developers (like Sonore) don't have access to the Exa driver, it's difficult to tell whether that driver sends native DSD or DoP to the Exa DACs, correct?

Parenthetically, I'll just point out that the Exa DACs are, at least superficially, very attractive to "Mac guys" because the Exa ASIO driver for OS X would seem to provide the only way to do native DSD (i.e., not DoP) from a Mac. However, if one wants to add a Linux-based HQP NAA and/or Roon endpoint to the mix, the whole thing goes pear-shaped — in that case you're limited to Exa's PlayPoint.

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

Jesus, sorry but I do not see why you can not answer at least some of my questions as they do not relate to only the exaSound but Linux Drivers and the microRendu in general.

And all are hypothetical. I ask IF so why not answer on that basses about the exaSound?

All I am just trying to do is understand two different, but related, things.

1) Can the microRendu, using a Linux Driver, handle DSD native/direct without using DoP?

2) IF exaSound ends up offering a Linux Driver, that is to Linux spec, SHOULD it be able to work with the microRendu?

The number one question is important to me regardless of the exaSound issue. I am not married to the exaSound DAC forever. However, Any DAC or "Server, Render" I use I would like to have them be able to do DSD direct/native and not just DSD by DoP.

So that capability in the microRendu is an important purchase decision for me.

Again, thank you in advance.

I don't want to get your hopes up on this. For example, M2Tech held out on providing Linux support for a very long time. They finally hired a consultant who wrote the driver and we helped the consultant with testing. Integration into our products went smoothly, but it could just as easily had issues and not been worth adding. If a solution becomes available I will look into include it.

The microRendu already supports native DSD into certain products. Inclusion onto this list is dependent on many factors and we don't have complete control of most of them. It would be helpful if manufacturers were willing to assist in getting native DSD support, but most are not. Wired 4 Sound is interested in native DSD support so they are working with us. Some devices already have the necessary hardware parameters needed to support native DSD and could be added. However, the process to include a devices is pain, it's time consuming, and it requires many hours of validations afterwards. If you want more information on native DSD support you can refer to this link:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f26-sonore-sponsored/sonore-sonicorbiter-se-native-direct-stream-digital-support-27418/

Jesus R

I am interested in an answer to a small variation to HiFiAl's question: will the microrendu (or sonicorbiter SE for that matter) pass native DSD to an Amenero USB input?

I have a Lampizator DAC with Amenero USB input and my understanding is that it can currently only receive DoP through a Linux NAA, but that there is now, or soon to be, a patch to the Linux OS that will allow passing native DSD?

Thanks Jesus!

Jordan

At least that product is supported on Linux and yes it currently works with DoP. I have already been in contact with Amanero, but I don't have anything more to report at the moment. All we can do for now is wait and see what they do. Given the choice though this would be the one I would work on first to add to our unit.

Jesus R

I don't have the Sonicorbiter SE (waiting on microRendu) but have been using a Cubox-i running the HQP NAA image (Linux) and to play native DSD (non-DoP) either DSF or converted PCM files. My DAC has the JLSounds USB board which started supporting native DSD about a year a ago. So it is possible to use native DSD with Linux. As Jesus has eluded to, it is up to the manufacturer (DAC or in my case USB board) to make this happen.

Yes, I'll do so, per Jesus's suggestion … although understand that I'm a prospective ExaSound customer rather than a current one.

Two more annoying questions for Jesus, just so I can understand the situation a little better: We know that ExaSound has some kind of Linux driver because the ExaSound PlayPoint is Linux-based, right? And since other Linux-oriented developers (like Sonore) don't have access to the Exa driver, it's difficult to tell whether that driver sends native DSD or DoP to the Exa DACs, correct?

Parenthetically, I'll just point out that the Exa DACs are, at least superficially, very attractive to "Mac guys" because the Exa ASIO driver for OS X would seem to provide the only way to do native DSD (i.e., not DoP) from a Mac. However, if one wants to add a Linux-based HQP NAA and/or Roon endpoint to the mix, the whole thing goes pear-shaped — in that case you're limited to Exa's PlayPoint.

--David

I have been in contact with George via email (since 2011) and he recently told me that it's Linux. It's not difficult to know what MPD supports...it supports conversion of DSD to PCM by default and DSD/DoP via configuration option. There is also a MPD support ticket from them requesting assistance for DoP issues. However, if you really want to know you should ask then...

Jesus R

I don't have the Sonicorbiter SE (waiting on microRendu) but have been using a Cubox-i running the HQP NAA image (Linux) and to play native DSD (non-DoP) either DSF or converted PCM files. My DAC has the JLSounds USB board which started supporting native DSD about a year a ago. So it is possible to use native DSD with Linux. As Jesus has eluded to, it is up to the manufacturer (DAC or in my case USB board) to make this happen.

It's nice to have their support, but not always necessary. I was able to get native DSD support for a few devices without the manufacturer's participation.

Jesus R

At least that product is supported on Linux and yes it currently works with DoP. I have already been in contact with Amanero, but I don't have anything more to report at the moment. All we can do for now is wait and see what they do. Given the choice though this would be the one I would work on first to add to our unit.

Jesus R

Thanks Jesus! Great to know!

Synology NAS -> Quadcore i7, 3.8GHz -> RoonServer -> HQPlayer (all up sampled to DSD128) -> Sonore urendu (Uptone JS2 PS) -> Lampizator Golden Gate DAC -> Valvet A4 Monoblocks -> Zu Audio Definitions Mk4

Sorry if it has already been asked, but I don't see anything about the shairport input...

If I'm using a Mac with Audirvana+, Airport output, connected to a M2tech usb based Dac (Mojo Audio), could it work ?

Mac+Audirvana -> microrendu -> Regen (already have) -> Mojo Audio Dac (M2tech based)

Roon / audio-linux / dual PC / I2s FGPA Dac / analog tube processor / analog tube crossover / active speakers / dual subs / absorption+massive diffusion / ugly cat in the room

Sorry if it has already been asked, but I don't see anything about the shairport input...

If I'm using a Mac with Audirvana+, Airport output, connected to a M2tech usb based Dac (Mojo Audio), could it work ?

Mac+Audirvana -> microrendu -> Regen (already have) -> Mojo Audio Dac (M2tech based)

Yes.

Jesus R

I have to hold up my hands and admit to understanding very little of the technical aspects of this thread.

My my situation is that I have discovered Roon, utilising my trusty Squeezebox Touch's optical out into a Naim DAC.

I have ordered a Chord Hugo TT as I want the capacity to use USB as a connection option

Simple question then, the microrendu connected via Ethernet to my NUC running Roon server and connected via USB to the Hugo will work?

Thanks

SJB

I have to hold up my hands and admit to understanding very little of the technical aspects of this thread.

My my situation is that I have discovered Roon, utilising my trusty Squeezebox Touch's optical out into a Naim DAC.

I have ordered a Chord Hugo TT as I want the capacity to use USB as a connection option

Simple question then, the microrendu connected via Ethernet to my NUC running Roon server and connected via USB to the Hugo will work?

Thanks

SJB

You need to have a router between your computer running Roon and the microRendu.

Jesus R

Thanks for the reply.

Indeed my technical understanding does go this far thankfully. NUC is connected to Router as is QNAP NAS with my music collection on it.

It it looks just the sort of product for me, is there a waiting list that I can put my name on or once it becomes available will there be a plentiful supply?

SJB