IGNORED

Sonore microRendu

No power supply please

iMac27 with 2 x SSD , Aqvox USB cable , Auralic Vega , McIntosh C2200 preamp , Bi-amped MC275 , Triangle Concerto , Velodyne DD15 sub , Custom Balanced Power Management , Supra Sword XLR Cables , Triangle Silver Loudspeaker Cables , Supra Power Cables

Jesus

in a different thread you said the following: "For the record there are currently two units in the microRendu series, but I have not worked out how to incorporate the second unit into the webpage so there is no information on it yet."

Can you give us a little detail on the "other" unit? Still USB? The re-clocker from Signature Rendu adapted to USB?

Why not sell the microRendu without a PSU, but include (say) free shipping or a bundle discount for any PSU bought at the same time?

I assume the same PSU options would work with the Orbiter SE so you could do the same for both.

Not necessarily true, the Sonicorbiter SE needs 5V, the microRendu needs 6-9V.

The processor in both requires 5V for the USB circuitry (this is the circuitry inside the processor, in addition to the outside world VBUS). In the SE this 5V comes directly from the power jack, in the microRendu there is an ultra low noise regulator to generate the 5V.

Thus to use the same supply for both you would need one that is adjustable, 5V for the SE and 6-9 for the microRendu.

John S.

Not necessarily true, the Sonicorbiter SE needs 5V, the microRendu needs 6-9V.

The processor in both requires 5V for the USB circuitry (this is the circuitry inside the processor, in addition to the outside world VBUS). In the SE this 5V comes directly from the power jack, in the microRendu there is an ultra low noise regulator to generate the 5V.

Thus to use the same supply for both you would need one that is adjustable, 5V for the SE and 6-9 for the microRendu.

John S.

Too bad that both aren't able to use 7Vdc as the minimum thus making the JS-2 easily used for both.

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

Jesus

in a different thread you said the following: "For the record there are currently two units in the microRendu series, but I have not worked out how to incorporate the second unit into the webpage so there is no information on it yet."

Can you give us a little detail on the "other" unit? Still USB? The re-clocker from Signature Rendu adapted to USB?

The second unit was a MinimServer and LMS server for USB attached drives. However, it makes more sense to make it part of the Sonicorbiter series. If it looks like it would happen anytime soon I'll start a new thread for it.

Jesus R

The second unit was a MinimServer and LMS server for USB attached drives. However, it makes more sense to make it part of the Sonicorbiter series. If it looks like it would happen anytime soon I'll start a new thread for it.

Jesus R

Thanks for clarifying!

I will hit the 'buy' button as soon as the microRendu is ready for ordering. Soon?

What processor is being used?

Thanks.

The microRendu uses the iMX6 DualLite processor. It has many different power supply domains which makes it particularly suited for audiophile use.

Each supply domain gets an appropriate regulation scheme for that function. For example the processor domain uses a high quality switching regulator since it needs low voltage at high current. The on chip PLLs which generate the clocks for all the different system are run off an ultra low noise regulator. The USB subsystem takes three supplies, all of which are fed by ultra low noise regulators.

In addition the chip can be fed an external clock that bypasses the internal oscillator circuit which is not particularly low jitter. The reference clock of the PLLs can changed to point at this external clock input into which I feed a very low jitter main clock.

The result of this is MUCH lower noise and jitter at the USB subsystem.

John S.

Thanks for your detailed reply. Same processor as in the cubox (but with all the hardware optimizations that you describe, and probably no uneeded hardware). It is really exciting to finally see a custom board designed solely for audio.

I guess the software compiled for the SonicOrbiter SE is identical ?

Which leads me to my next question - if you can spare a little more time to answer. On the software side, I have personally recently experimented with a linux system developed around TinyCore (TinyMPD, made in Russia!) which gave me pretty astonishing results. Over here in France, another variation on TinyCore (TinySqueeze) by the same developer has also been recently tested by a number of people and adopted over Daphile, and other highly tweaked systems. Prior to that I had tested a number of distributions and MPD implementations, and was not entirely convinced of the importance of software, but I must say I am now part of that "camp"... On Cubox, there is also a Japanese developer offering TinyCore based MPD solution (LightMPD).

So I am curious also to find out more about the Sonicorbiter software. To be perfectly honest I am also curious to know whether it will be possible to use the microRendu with other distributions/implementations (Fun with Linux...).

I could not find any specifics about the Sonicorbiter system - what is based on ? are there specific optimizations ? etc...

Thanks again.

Thanks for your detailed reply. Same processor as in the cubox (but with all the hardware optimizations that you describe, and probably no uneeded hardware). It is really exciting to finally see a custom board designed solely for audio.

Which leads me to my next question - if you can spare a little more time to answer. On the software side, I have personally recently experimented with a linux system developed around TinyCore (TinyMPD, made in Russia!) which gave me pretty astonishing results. Over here in France, another variation on TinyCore (TinySqueeze) by the same developer has also been recently tested by a number of people and adopted over Daphile, and other highly tweaked systems. Prior to that I had tested a number of distributions and MPD implementations, and was not entirely convinced of the importance of software, but I must say I am now part of that "camp"... On Cubox, there is also a Japanese developer offering TinyCore based MPD solution (LightMPD).

So I am curious also to find out more about the Sonicorbiter software. To be perfectly honest I am also curious to know whether it will be possible to use the microRendu with other distributions/implementations (Fun with Linux...).

I could not find any specifics about the Sonicorbiter system - what is based on ? are there specific optimizations ? etc...

Thanks again.

Allow me to reply because John has been mostly involved in the hardware side of things. The Sonicorbiter operating system has to be adjusted to the hardware. In the case of microRendu there are some differences compared to the Sonicorbiter SE. For example, the microRendu only has one USB output and no optical output. As such, the operating system has to be adjusted for these differences. However, nothing prevents us from tweaking the operating system to optimize things from unit to unit...

It's hard to keep up with all the distributions that pop up. We have been using MPD for many years and it's a fantastic player. It's included in the Sonicorbiter operating system, but we don't base its implementation on any of the distributions you mentioned. We compile the code from source and enable the features that we have determined are what is needed to achieve our goals. One thing worth noting is that each output mode is independent and only one output mode is working at any given time. In essence it's as if you are getting several units in one. You can even uninstall unused output modes from the software manager if you feel that could possible improve things.

I'm certain someone will try to load an alternate operating system on the unit, but we will not be able to support them in that effort.

Jesus R

Thanks again.

The software for the Sonicorbiter SE and the microRendu are very similar, but not exactly the same. Some obvious things are the SoSE contains an S/PDIF optical output which does not exist in the microRendu, the software has to take that into account. In addition the microRendu includes software to make the clock change mentioned previously, without that software to set the PLL muxes the low jitter clock has no effect.

What you are talking about, using different distributions in the microRendu hardware has not been tested at all, but my gut feeling is that software changes will make less of a difference on SQ with the microRendu VS other hardware platforms (such as the Cubox) due to the much greater power supply isolation between power domains.

I cannot give you any specifics on the Sonicorbiter software, I designed the hardware, others have written the software.

There is one really cool feature of the sonicorbiter software I really like: how you find out the IP address. This has traditionally been one of the tough problems for network connected headless devices, with So you just browse to sonicorbiter.com and it tells you what the address is. You then just click on the address and it takes you right to the setup web page for the device. Very cool.

John S.

Maybe a very strange question, but has quality of the input UTP signal effect on the output ( sound quality) of the Microrendu? And if so; what can be done to optimize quality?

I am asking this to help me to decide between the option of an optimized all in one server-renderersystem ( the Vortexbox audiophile microjukebox or Antipodes DS for example) versus my current Nuc / Nas via UTP into the Microrendu?

I will be running Roon.

Maybe a very strange question, but has quality of the input UTP signal effect on the output ( sound quality) of the Microrendu? And if so; what can be done to optimize quality?

I am asking this to help me to decide between the option of an optimized all in one server-renderersystem ( the Vortexbox audiophile microjukebox or Antipodes DS for example) versus my current Nuc / Nas via UTP into the Microrendu?

I will be running Roon.

We are providing signal conditioning, signal isolation, and EMI suppression at the input of the microRendu. All the solutions you mentioned would also be connected to the network, but I don't know what optimization they might offer, if any, in this respect. The microRendu will be RoonReady certified. Using Roon in combination with the microRendu will be very simple because Roon automatically discovers the unit.

Jesus R

Jesus and John,

I have a few questions about the microRendu that I hope you can answer at this time.

1) My plan is to connect the microRendu in my system thus: MacMini connected to a router>Router connected to the microRendu>connected to exaSound DAC by USB. All music would be on an external HD connected to the MacMini by Thunderbolt (could be by USB at some point).

I would use Roon with HQPlayer integrated to stream to the microRendu as a NAA for HQPlayer.

Is the above configuration doable?

2) If the above is doable then:

Is it better to have the microRendu connected to the DAC using a USB hard adapter or a USB cable (after market audiophile type)?

3) Is the microRendu galvanic isolated from what is connected to its input (Ethernet connection)?

Thanks in advance.

Ambassador for Sound Galleries Monaco and Taiko Audio The Netherlands 

Sound Test USA

[email protected]

Sound Galleries SGM 2015 Music Server>ROON-all rates up-sampled to DSD512 by HQ Player>Sablon Reserva 2017 USB>T+A DAC 8 DSD>Merrill Audio Veritas Ncore NC1200 Mono Amps>B&W 802D>High Fidelity Cables Interconnect, Speaker & Power Cords for Amps & SGM & T+A>Power Conditioning High Fidelity MC-6 Hemisphere>T+A & Hemisphere supported by Stillpoints Ultra Mini - B&W 802D & Veritas supported by Stillpoints Ultra SS>All sitting on IKEA Aptitlig bamboo butcher blocks - Taiko Audio Setchi active grounding on SGM & T+A

Jesus and John,

I have a few questions about the microRendu that I hope you can answer at this time.

1) My plan is to connect the microRendu in my system thus: MacMini connected to a router>Router connected to the microRendu>connected to exaSound DAC by USB. All music would be on an external HD connected to the MacMini by Thunderbolt (could be by USB at some point).

I would use Roon with HQPlayer integrated to stream to the microRendu as a NAA for HQPlayer.

Is the above configuration doable?

2) If the above is doable then:

Is it better to have the microRendu connected to the DAC using a USB hard adapter or a USB cable (after market audiophile type)?

3) Is the microRendu galvanic isolated from what is connected to its input (Ethernet connection)?

Thanks in advance.

Roon with HQPlayer integrated to stream to the microRendu in NAA output mode will work. However, we will not be supporting that device. The microRendu will ship with a generic hard adapter for your convenience and we will offer high quality USB Cardas cables for your consideration. Note that not every device and or installation will allow proper use of the hard adapter. We leave it up to you to decide what is proper. The unit is isolated at the input as noted above.

Jesus R

Roon with HQPlayer integrated to stream to the microRendu in NAA output mode will work. However, we will not be supporting that device. The microRendu will ship with a generic hard adapter for your convenience and we will offer high quality USB Cardas cables for your consideration. Note that not every device and or installation will allow proper use of the hard adapter. We leave it up to you to decide what is proper. The unit is isolated at the input as noted above.

Jesus R

Thank you Jesus.

"we will not be supporting that device" By that device do you mean the exaSound DAC? If so in what way do you mean?

Ambassador for Sound Galleries Monaco and Taiko Audio The Netherlands 

Sound Test USA

[email protected]

Sound Galleries SGM 2015 Music Server>ROON-all rates up-sampled to DSD512 by HQ Player>Sablon Reserva 2017 USB>T+A DAC 8 DSD>Merrill Audio Veritas Ncore NC1200 Mono Amps>B&W 802D>High Fidelity Cables Interconnect, Speaker & Power Cords for Amps & SGM & T+A>Power Conditioning High Fidelity MC-6 Hemisphere>T+A & Hemisphere supported by Stillpoints Ultra Mini - B&W 802D & Veritas supported by Stillpoints Ultra SS>All sitting on IKEA Aptitlig bamboo butcher blocks - Taiko Audio Setchi active grounding on SGM & T+A

"we will not be supporting that device" By that device do you mean the exaSound DAC? If so in what way do you mean?

I have the same question. It's just not clear to me what's meant by the quoted phrase.

(@hifial—the setup you describe is exactly what I plan to move to, so I must congratulate you on your powers of discernment and good taste.)

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

Thank you Jesus.

Yes, I think Jesus R is saying Sonore will not support the Exasound DACs. I suspect this is not his choice.

Exasound uses a proprietary USB interface on its DACs. As the microRendu runs Linux there needs to be a Linux driver for operation with the Exasound DAC. Exasound has never shipped a driver for Linux, so its DAC can't be supported.

Apologies to Jesus R if I got this wrong.

Pareto Audio aka nuckleheadaudio

Yes, I think Jesus R is saying Sonore will not support the Exasound DACs. I suspect this is not his choice.

Exasound uses a proprietary USB interface on its DACs. As the microRendu runs Linux there needs to be a Linux driver for operation with the Exasound DAC. Exasound has never shipped a driver for Linux, so its DAC can't be supported.

Apologies to Jesus R if I got this wrong.

While the USB interface might be proprietary the Linux driver should not be. If they modified the Kernel with a patch to get it to support their DAC they should release the source code to the open source community. If they don't then they are in violation of the Kernel licensing. I have offered in the past to help in developing the driver and I recently requested the drivers without success. That aside just about every other device on the planet is supported...

Jesus R