IGNORED

Sonore microRendu

17 hours ago, gordec said:

I can only use a powerline passthrough adapter from the wall outlet to connect the microrendu to the ethernet.

If forever what reason, you can always set up a wireless access point as well and a wire to a switch or direct to the MicroRendu. Assuming you already have wireless in your house. 

14 hours ago, gordec said:

I’m basically trying to decide what’s better. Iso regen from PC direct or microrendu to use to with Pro iDSD.

You will be surprised when you connect the MicroRendu and Iso Regen together ?

Preferable with a good PS like two LPS-1.2. 

On 8/13/2018 at 12:55 PM, Dazed and Confused said:

I recently downloaded a hi-res file of Stanley Clarke's School Days from Quboz. In system 1, which uses a Squeezebox Touch, there are no issues playing the Album. When I try to play in system 2, using MicroRendu into Chord Qutest (using Orange Squeeze as a controller), it simply won't play. Never has this before. Any ideas?

hmm, probably need to be more specific than hi-res. What format was the download? Do you have other  music in same format and if so, does it play/not play?

Reduces back and forth delay to provide this kind of "troubleshooting 101" information up front when seeking tech support or someone from CA may recognize

the issue .

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

• 1 month later...

Updates to Tidal and Qobuz streaming:

We have cleaned up the way the Rendu series streams Tidal and Qobuz. Before you needed BubbleUPnP Server running on the network to make the OpenHome capable. Now BubbleUPnP Server is no longer needed. This means a simpler setup for first time and long time users and a cleaning experience overall. This feature works with Linn Kazoo on your computer or mobile device (phone or tablet) and just requires a Tidal account.

Here is how to get it:

The unit most be updated to the latest version from Apps / Software Manager. Follow the update with a reboot. Go to Settings / MPD DLNA and press Save. Remember to shut down BubbleUPnP where you run it. FYI You can still use it if you prefer it. You should now see a Tidal and Qobuz tab in Linn Kazoo and when selected you are prompted to enter you username and password.  

Later today I'll update the Tidal and Qobuz setup thread later today. 

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/27851-sonicorbiter-tidalqobuz-setup-with-openhome/

1 hour ago, clar2391 said:

Very nice!  Is there a setting to increase the streaming to HiRez?  I've logged into Qobuz with my Sublime+ account using Linn Kazoo, but all I'm getting is 320kbps..

I'm testing the fix now. I'll get with Andrew on implementing it this week. 

• 4 weeks later...

You ought to hear the difference between Airplay > Airport Express > toslink and Shareport > uRendu > USB. Holy cow, what a difference! Soundstage, texture, timbre, etc... across the board improvement.

I'm in the process of evaluating IDAGIO and PRIMEPHONIC Classical only streaming services. They do not support DLNA or have setups like Spotify connect, and they are not integrated in A+ or Lumin App, so I am stuck with Airplay. The uRendu makes these music services worth it for me. I would not say that if I had to use my Airport Express.

(I know this is a microRendu thread, but I think what I say holds true as well for the mR)

"The function of music is to release us from the tyranny of conscious thought", Sir Thomas Beecham. 

Both t

6 hours ago, rodrigaj said:

You ought to hear the difference between Airplay > Airport Express > toslink and Shareport > uRendu > USB. Holy cow, what a difference! Soundstage, texture, timbre, etc... across the board improvement.

I'm in the process of evaluating IDAGIO and PRIMEPHONIC Classical only streaming services. They do not support DLNA or have setups like Spotify connect, and they are not integrated in A+ or Lumin App, so I am stuck with Airplay. The uRendu makes these music services worth it for me. I would not say that if I had to use my Airport Express.

(I know this is a microRendu thread, but I think what I say holds true as well for the mR)

Both the micro and ultra use the same version of Shairport for streaming via the Airplay protocol. This App was updated and improved about a year ago and feedback on it has been very positive. Enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...

I scanned through about 30 pages of this thread but didn't find anything related so hopefully this isn't redundant to other posts in here. I bought a used MicroRendu and inquired with the seller which version it was, 1.3 or 1.4. He told me that since it now has Spotify support that was an indicator it was a 1.4 board. I don't want to open it up to verify, nor do I even know if that would tell me anything outwardly. I'm running SO 2.7 for software, but just wondering how I can verify what hardware is inside the box?

Thanks for any guidance.

Todd

Ryzen 3900x Roon Core PC -> Intel i9900k HQPlayer W10 machine -> iFi Zen Stream NAA

Holo May KTE, Benchmark LA4 preamp

SMC Audio upgraded DNA-125 Amp

Dynaudio Confidence C2 Platinum speakers

Vinyl rig - Schiit Sol, Nagaoka MP-500, Mod Squad PhonoDrive phono stage

25 minutes ago, toddrhodes said:

I scanned through about 30 pages of this thread but didn't find anything related so hopefully this isn't redundant to other posts in here. I bought a used MicroRendu and inquired with the seller which version it was, 1.3 or 1.4. He told me that since it now has Spotify support that was an indicator it was a 1.4 board. I don't want to open it up to verify, nor do I even know if that would tell me anything outwardly. I'm running SO 2.7 for software, but just wondering how I can verify what hardware is inside the box?

Thanks for any guidance.

Todd

I’m not sure how to identify the 1.4 hardware either, but would be curious as well. I suspect you may have to open it up.

However Spotify support has to do with the OS version and SD card, not the hardware.

If it’s 1.4 it should have a big white sticker on the side saying as such. The only way to get a 1.4 board was sending the mR in for an upgrade, and since this cost over $200 I would expect anyone selling to advertise as such (and leave the sticker on). I would imagine it’s a 1.3. I got one of the very last 1.4 boards and that was about a year ago (?). 

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

53 minutes ago, charlesphoto said:

If it’s 1.4 it should have a big white sticker on the side saying as such. The only way to get a 1.4 board was sending the mR in for an upgrade, and since this cost over $200 I would expect anyone selling to advertise as such (and leave the sticker on). I would imagine it’s a 1.3. I got one of the very last 1.4 boards and that was about a year ago (?). 

Thanks! I did open it up and found it is the 1.3 board. I had asked the seller and they responded that "it is the latest chip" but I think he got the microSD card confused with the actual hardware board inside the unit. Now I know, so thanks for the assist!

Ryzen 3900x Roon Core PC -> Intel i9900k HQPlayer W10 machine -> iFi Zen Stream NAA

Holo May KTE, Benchmark LA4 preamp

SMC Audio upgraded DNA-125 Amp

Dynaudio Confidence C2 Platinum speakers

Vinyl rig - Schiit Sol, Nagaoka MP-500, Mod Squad PhonoDrive phono stage

Forgive me if this has been answered before, but is there any audible difference between the different renderers? Assuming they all pass bit perfect data and there is no processing turned on.

Say, do Roon and LMS sound Identical outputting the same data?

if one generates more noise rendering the data could this be passed on to affect the sound downstream?

5 hours ago, HumanMedia said:

Forgive me if this has been answered before, but is there any audible difference between the different renderers? Assuming they all pass bit perfect data and there is no processing turned on.

Say, do Roon and LMS sound Identical outputting the same data?

if one generates more noise rendering the data could this be passed on to affect the sound downstream?

Yes, of course there is.  All of these things sound different.  ROON, for example uses an entirely different way of streaming over Ethernet.  The sound quality differences are not about the data, they are about how much (and what type of) noise is carried along the way to the DAC.  Same reason a better Renderer (ultraRendu vs. microRendu for example) will produce better performance.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

5 hours ago, barrows said:

Yes, of course there is.  All of these things sound different.  ROON, for example uses an entirely different way of streaming over Ethernet.  The sound quality differences are not about the data, they are about how much (and what type of) noise is carried along the way to the DAC.  Same reason a better Renderer (ultraRendu vs. microRendu for example) will produce better performance.

OK which do people think sounds the best?

Reason I ask this is I trialled Roon about a year ago. Made sure all processing of the signal was swItched off. Verified this with a Roon support person. In the limited time I had to compare, LMS sounded repeatedly better than Roon. It was enough of an unexplained difference for me not to subscribe. But I had so little time with it to figure out why and the Roon client (and LMS player) have probably been rewritten since then, so the same comparison now may not give the same results.

Anyone else hear differences between renderer clients on the Rendu? Any preferences on the basis of audio quality experienced?

11 hours ago, HumanMedia said:
32 minutes ago, HumanMedia said:

OK which do people think sounds the best?

Reason I ask this is I trialled Roon about a year ago. Made sure all processing of the signal was swItched off. Verified this with a Roon support person. In the limited time I had to compare, LMS sounded repeatedly better than Roon. It was enough of an unexplained difference for me not to subscribe. But I had so little time with it to figure out why and the Roon client (and LMS player) have probably been rewritten since then, so the same comparison now may not give the same results.

Anyone else hear differences between renderer clients on the Rendu? Any preferences on the basis of audio quality experienced?

I recently trialed Roon for 60 days and did not subscribe. Roon sounded significantly worse than an ultraRendu using MPD as music player. I tried Roon core on my iMac with both the uR as endpoint and a MacBook Air running Roon Bridge. I even set up a NUC as a ROCK. All combinations sounded worse than using MPD alone. I have no idea why this is but nothing I tried changed the fundamental SQ of Roon. I'm not surprised  that you found LMS to sound better. I found little difference in the SQ between the MBA/Bridge and the uR/Roon Ready, the problem appears to lie with Roon itself. This, of course, is my personal experience, YMMV.

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

1 hour ago, R1200CL said:

With what render/endpoint ?

Back then it was a microRendu rendering using the Roon client/renderer compared to LMS client/renderer on the same microRendu.

Roon sounded more congested in the mids to lower highs, more forward in this area as well, but not in a good way. And confirmed with Roon support that my settings had all of the processing turned off.