IGNORED

Sonore microRendu

15 minutes ago, ogs said:

Yes, the MR needs to see a DAC on it's USB port to behave. Any other USB DAC you could try?

If your MR boots on 2.5 Jesus should be able to fix the problem by logging in to it.

Hi,

Have I read this correctly? I use a Chord Hugo with my microRendu (still 2.2), and the combination works when I plug it directly into the USB in on the Hugo. However, the Hugo sounds better via (spdif) coaxial so I recent bought a Gustard U12 USB to spdif convertor, and my microRendu is now connected via USB to the Gustard U12 which is not a DAC, but the Gustard is connected via digital coaxial to the Hugo. This set-up worked for a while, but a couple of days ago stopped working. The Hugo indicates that it is receiving a signal from the Gustard (& even displays the correct bit-rate) but I get no output any more.

Would you expect the Sonore to 'behave' when connected via a USB to spdif converter rather than directly to a USB DAC?

Thanks.  

Your Gustard is a DAC as seen from the mR in that the USB connection is fully terminated the same way as a DAC with USB input. This is basically the same as using a Mutec (which I do) after the mR. The Mutec is not a DAC either, but is seen by mR as one.

EDIT: What does the mR DAC diagnostic say about the Gustard USB? Any indication of the volume level turned down from the mR? Do you get sound if the mR is connected directly to the Hugo?

Hi ogs,

Thanks for this. The answers to your questions are:

1. Yes, I do get sound if the mR is connected directly to the Hugo (via USB).

2. The mR DAC diagnostic recognises the DAC as:

"XMOS xCORE USB Audio 2.0 at usb-ci_hdrc.1-1.1, high speed : USB Audio"

Is there such a thing as a 'volume control' in the mR that can result in no sound despite the fact that a signal does appear to be getting through to the Hugo from the Gustard coaxial output (since the Hugo correctly displays the bit-rate of the signal)? Although I ask the question, it does not really make much sense to me. 

Yes, there is a volume control function on the USB link. Sonore has implemented a function in 2.3 and newer to make sure volume is MAX. You'd still be able to see the sampling rate on your DAC display even if volume is turned down. Maybe this is it?

EDIT: screen shot..

max.png

Thanks again ogs,

I hadn't spotted that option, and thought that you had solved the problem for me, because when I used this to "set the DAC to MAX volume" I got a message saying that "your DAC has been unmuted and set to MAX volume".

I was sure that the set-up via Gustard would now work, but unfortunately not. The really strange thing now is that having apparently unmuted the DAC and set the volume to 'MAX' the coax signal now seems not to be getting through to the Hugo at all, because it no longer displays the sampling rate (implying that there is no signal from the Gustard at all).

When I switch to direct USB from the mR to the Hugo, everything appears to be still ok. Any ideas?

HI ogs,

Please ignore my last post.

You have indeed solved my problem. Switching the DAC to MAX volume has now resulted in everything now working perfectly via the Gustard to Hugo coax.

My confusion in my above post was caused by the fact that I had inadvertently dislodged the coaxial cable from the Hugo when switching back from USB to phono settings on my Hugo.

Everything now working perfectly.

Many many thanks for your help.

mach

32 minutes ago, mackh said:

HI ogs,

Please ignore my last post.

You have indeed solved my problem. Switching the DAC to MAX volume has now resulted in everything now working perfectly via the Gustard to Hugo coax.

My confusion in my above post was caused by the fact that I had inadvertently dislodged the coaxial cable from the Hugo when switching back from USB to phono settings on my Hugo.

Everything now working perfectly.

Many many thanks for your help.

Thanks for posting the resolution...enjoy.

9 hours ago, ogs said:

Yes, there is a volume control function on the USB link. Sonore has implemented a function in 2.3 and newer to make sure volume is MAX.

Can you please explain how this is intended to be used?  Why would I want to set my DAC to max volume?  I don't use a preamp, so my DAC is my only volume control.  Is this button documented anywhere?

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

3 minutes ago, rickca said:

Can you please explain how this is intended to be used?  Why would I want to set my DAC (which has a volume control) to max volume?  Is this button documented anywhere?

If you use a digital volume in your dac as your main volume, then of course don't set the miroRendu's web-based dac volume control to max volume!  If, instead, you use a much more musical analog volume control (a few dacs, most preamps) then set your dac internal volume to max.  I say "more musical" cuz many digital volume controls are not intended to be your main volume, and can lose bits, etc if you use them for significant adjusting.

5 minutes ago, ted_b said:

I say "more musical" cuz many digital volume controls are not intended to be your main volume, and can lose bits, etc if you use them for significant adjusting.

Thanks, @ted_b.  My Jeff Rowland Aeris has a fairly sophisticated volume control.

http://jeffrowlandgroup.com/kb/questions.php?questionid=617

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

6 minutes ago, jtwrace said:

I've heard there's a new and improved µRendu coming out soon.  Should be interesting!  

I've heard rumors of this as well, but nothing concrete as to when, or what it will include...

12 minutes ago, http404 said:

... just in time to be compared to the sMS-200ultra

This is what I posted in the sMS thread:

I've heard there's a new and improved µRendu coming out soon which makes me pause on the sMS-200ultra.  $1200 isn't chump change and there isn't much info about the whole "system".  I think I'll wait and see what the new µRendu is all about.  Should be interesting! 

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

16 hours ago, jtwrace said:

This is what I posted in the sMS thread:

I've heard there's a new and improved µRendu coming out soon which makes me pause on the sMS-200ultra.  $1200 isn't chump change and there isn't much info about the whole "system".  I think I'll wait and see what the new µRendu is all about.  Should be interesting! 

How do you know about this (the new mRendu)? And if you can't say, do you know when it will be announced?

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Just now, vortecjr said:

The ultraRendu project will run Sonicorbiter 2.5. This will allow software updates and software development to move concurrently on both projects. 

Will the µRendu still be in production after the ultraRendu is released?  Basically have two models and two different price points?

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

5 minutes ago, jtwrace said:

Will the µRendu still be in production after the ultraRendu is released?  Basically have two models and two different price points?

Yes. Remember though we actually have three products: Sonicorbiter SE, microRendu, and ultraRendu.   

Maybe you should call it the uLtRaReNdU:P

13 hours ago, vortecjr said:

Yes. Remember though we actually have three products: Sonicorbiter SE, microRendu, and ultraRendu.   

Ah yes.  So you have a $298, $640 and TBA.  Hmm, I think the last price point is clearish.  :D