IGNORED

Sonore microRendu

Gotcha. Guess you're trying to keep this thread dedicated to the µRendu only and keep all the power supply stuff separate.

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

Jesus

Finally put the time in and got rid of all bugs and got my uRendu running DLNA, my preference with the MSB Diamond V HOWEVER when I change DSD tracks or move forward or back in the track I am not getting a small click but a loud and powerful popping as though someone pushed a stylus on a record on a turntable. It is frightening. Playing same direct from my Caps is flawless without pops or any noise between tracks or panning. Playing Direct DSD and all resolutions showing as they should.

Any hints?

Jesus

Finally put the time in and got rid of all bugs and got my uRendu running DLNA, my preference with the MSB Diamond V HOWEVER when I change DSD tracks or move forward or back in the track I am not getting a small click but a loud and powerful popping as though someone pushed a stylus on a record on a turntable. It is frightening. Playing same direct from my Caps is flawless without pops or any noise between tracks or panning. Playing Direct DSD and all resolutions showing as they should.

Any hints?

This boils down to how the DAC responds to the signal it is receiving. On a PC the manufacturer develops a ASIO driver for the unit. That driver doesn't exist for Mac or Linux. All we can do is send the DAC the bit perfect stream. It's up to the DAC to properly mute the signal between these user inputs. For whatever reason DoP solves the issue.

Jesus

Any hints?

I experience the same exact thing with Roon + HQPlayer with uRendu running as NAA, but only in native DSD and not in DoP as Jesus pointed out.

Intel NUC NUC8i7BEH Roon Server running Audio Linux in RAM -> Sonore UltraRendu (Roon Endpoint) -> Uptone ISO Regen -> Singxer SU-1 KTE -> Holo Audio Spring Level 3 DAC -> Nord One UP Monoblocks -> Spendor LS3/5as | Music controlled via iPad (Power Conditioning: Audience adeptResponse aR12).  Twitter: @hirezaudio

This boils down to how the DAC responds to the signal it is receiving. On a PC the manufacturer develops a ASIO driver for the unit. That driver doesn't exist for Mac or Linux. All we can do is send the DAC the bit perfect stream. It's up to the DAC to properly mute the signal between these user inputs. For whatever reason DoP solves the issue.

With DoP no 256DSD

it seems I can win

Jesus, I'm using the method of streaming Tidal direct from my Android phone using the BubbleUPnP app. One thing I notice is that even if I leave my house, or my phone shuts off, my songs keep playing. Does the mR have a built-in cache/buffer that it's playing from? Or is the BubbleUPnP server buffering this somewhere? It can play for hours it seem with my phone not on the network (which is very cool when trying to break in new speakers when you're not at home :)

Jesus, I'm using the method of streaming Tidal direct from my Android phone using the BubbleUPnP app. One thing I notice is that even if I leave my house, or my phone shuts off, my songs keep playing. Does the mR have a built-in cache/buffer that it's playing from? Or is the BubbleUPnP server buffering this somewhere? It can play for hours it seem with my phone not on the network (which is very cool when trying to break in new speakers when you're not at home :)

Part or all of the response when you turn the controller off may be due to OpenHome extensions to DLNA, the controller can be turned off and the renderer will continue to get files from the server.

This is because, once the BubbleUPnP app instructs the mrendu to stream from Tidal server, the mrendu connects directly to Tidal and knows to play from there until the end of the current track. You seem to indicate that BubbleUPnP Server has been installed on the mrendu. If so, the playlist is stored on the mrendu, and so the mrendu knows which track to request from Tidal once the current track has been played. All this is done without need for the BubbleUPnP app on the android phone, which as you realized can be shut down without disrupting the mrendu-Tidal connection.

As discussed above...BubbleUPNP Server on the unit is controlling the playlist via the OpenHome protocol.

I am getting my Shiit Jotunheim next week. It will be fed by the uRendu.

The DAC module tackle up to PCM 192/24 but I have many hirez DSD files on my NAS.

Is there a way to get the uRendu to perform an on-the-fly transcoding of selected file types prior to transferring it to my USB DAC?

Minimserver on the NAS can do transcoding.

Yes, I have used it myself.

The trouble is that my Lumin L1 NAS contains a proprietary uPnP server and cannot support minimserver install.

MinimServer works well if you run it on the device with the content or a standard computer looking out over the network. Running it on the microRendu or Sonicorbiter SE would complicate things a bit. It might have enough power to do the work, but this has not beed tested. I hate to recommend a different server, but a sonicTransporter i5 would be an option.

I am getting my Shiit Jotunheim next week. It will be fed by the uRendu.

[...]

Is there a way to get the uRendu to perform an on-the-fly transcoding of selected file types prior to transferring it to my USB DAC?

Two things:

First, ideally you'll figure out a way to get all the transcoding done server-side and send the straight PCM you want your DAC to receive to the microRendu. The lighter the computational load on the microRendu, the better things have the potential to sound. Think of the microRendu as a pipe, not a... transcoding thing. As a very good Ethernet-to-USB pipe, especially when fed with really clean and well-isolated DC, a microRendu can help a system sing.

Second, some observations on the Jotunheim and its available DAC card:

I'm really impressed with how good an analog component the Jotunheim is for the price. It has (to my ear) a particularly "live", immediate sound with the potential to render dynamics excitingly. It's quite nice even using single-ended ins or outs, but it particularly sings in fully balanced mode. The DAC card, though - while it's entirely okay, I found it a bit disappointing after having listened to Schiit's multibit DACs for awhile - even the single-ended ones. So while I'm glad I bought a DAC-equipped Jotunheim to get a notion of its sound, I don't actually listen through that DAC card by choice.

A Gungnir Multibit feeding a Jotunheim a balanced signal is quite sweet, and I recommend it. But at a more reasonable price - and in a nicely matching case size - a Bifrost Multibit makes a really pleasing and way more engaging DAC section for a Jotunheim than its card.

Sure, okay, a Bifrost Multibit might be, um, six times as expensive as the Jotunheim's DAC card. But keep the Bimby in mind as a possibility for later, and don't assume you've taken the Jotunheim's measure until you've heard it with a better source than its DAC card.

More microRendu magic. I've had a microRendu with a Teddy Pardo LPS on my headphone system. I just got another microRendu to replace a Sonicorbiter SE on my speaker system, and an UpTone LPS-1 to power the headphone system. So, earlier today, I replaced the SOSE with the new microRendu powered by the Teddy Pardo LPS. Over dinner, we were listening to John Scofield's recent "Country for Old Men" in PCM 96/24 from HDtracks. My wife did not know anything about the switch, but I just asked her if she noticed anything different. She immediately said that the instruments sounded better separated and clearer. She's not an audiophile and does not know the lingo, but she has a good ear and we listen to lots of live music. She did not know what to expect, or even that I had changed the system. Impressive. Speaker system: Bel Canto mLink USB>S/PDIF>Bel Canto C7R integrated DAC-amp>KEF Reference 1 speakers+REL T7i sub. The Bel Canto gear is about to be replaced by Schiit Yggdrasil DAC>Hegel H360 integrated, so I'll be able to compare uRendu>Yggy>H360 to the H360's own internal Roon endpoint + DAC.

Two things:

First, ideally you'll figure out a way to get all the transcoding done server-side and send the straight PCM you want your DAC to receive to the microRendu. The lighter the computational load on the microRendu, the better things have the potential to sound. Think of the microRendu as a pipe, not a... transcoding thing. As a very good Ethernet-to-USB pipe, especially when fed with really clean and well-isolated DC, a microRendu can help a system sing.

Second, some observations on the Jotunheim and its available DAC card:

I'm really impressed with how good an analog component the Jotunheim is for the price. It has (to my ear) a particularly "live", immediate sound with the potential to render dynamics excitingly. It's quite nice even using single-ended ins or outs, but it particularly sings in fully balanced mode. The DAC card, though - while it's entirely okay, I found it a bit disappointing after having listened to Schiit's multibit DACs for awhile - even the single-ended ones. So while I'm glad I bought a DAC-equipped Jotunheim to get a notion of its sound, I don't actually listen through that DAC card by choice.

A Gungnir Multibit feeding a Jotunheim a balanced signal is quite sweet, and I recommend it. But at a more reasonable price - and in a nicely matching case size - a Bifrost Multibit makes a really pleasing and way more engaging DAC section for a Jotunheim than its card.

Sure, okay, a Bifrost Multibit might be, um, six times as expensive as the Jotunheim's DAC card. But keep the Bimby in mind as a possibility for later, and don't assume you've taken the Jotunheim's measure until you've heard it with a better source than its DAC card.

Thanks, jbm0. This info was very useful.

I have a few possibilities for my stationary setup, where the Jutunheim balanced analog inputs can be fed from either my DS DAC or my Lumin A1. In this case the üRendu will be redundant. My headphone cables might run a little short when using the Beyer cable for my Elear, but I might move some gear. For my portable setup I might use my Mojo as the DAC, but then again this only has SE output to feed the JH. The latter also seem a little overkill and cumbersome.

I will put my Schiit together next week ;)