IGNORED

Sonore microRendu

590a87e9c3d6e_ScreenShot2017-05-03at9_45_27PM.png.e0bd52bcfa74ad874cd1c0baea8d47f5.png

BACKGROUND

I started the Rendu series because I wasn't satisfied having to constantly deal with the shortfalls of general purpose motherboards When you use a general purpose motherboard, you get components on the board you don't need or want, you have to add noise filters, and you have to add plug-in cards, etc. I know I'm preaching to the choir because you have been dealing with these very issues in your personal builds. Like you, I wanted to get away from masking the problems and instead focus on addressing them at their core. The Signature Series Rendu is a world-class SPDIF/i2s source and I'm very proud of it. The microRendu is an extension of this concept and will fill the void by bringing a world-class USB output to the series.

ABOUT THE microRendu

The Sonore microRendu project is in essence two projects in one.

The first project is the Sonicorbiter operating system. Sonicorbiter is a collaboration between Sonore by Simple Design and Small Green Computer. The Sonicorbiter operating system is a preconfigured renderer / endpoint / player with selectable output modes. We have spent countless hours behind the scenes working with the various developers of its Linux applications to assure they work well and deliver the kind of performance you demand.

The second project is the hardware platform (codenamed toaster). The toaster is a collaboration between Sonore by simple Design, Small Green Computer, and John Swenson. As part of our research and development, we have tested various hardware solutions and quite frankly we were not impressed. In order to meet our goals and push our interests in a new direction, we needed to start fresh. This hardware has taken John over a year to design and incorporates several key features. For example There are regulated zones on the Sonore microRendu providing unprecedented clean power to all components. There are very low jitter oscillators - one for the CPU and one for the USB hub that generates a completely new USB data signal to feed your device. Make no mistake, this product is intended to give you goosebumps.

Question for you Jesus. Would this support the following connection?

Mac Mini running RoonServer, with WiFI enabled and the ethernet port on the Mac Mini connected directly to the microRendu in Mode #5 - RoonReady?

So Mac Mini to microRendu to DAC?

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

I am very interested, and looking forward to what is needed for me to implement the microRendu so that I may employ it with my system. While I am curious about the price point. I am more curious about what is required for me to make it work for my system given my commitment to all sorts of devices intended to improve the rendition of sonic quality, i.e. The Regen, JS-2, MMK etc.

Looking forward to the next step and what it takes to become a customer.

Best,

Richard

Jesus-

Just another request (one already to Chris) to unify the microRendu threads. There's another one here on your sponsor forum started by a user, and an additional one with the same name started by Blizzard. It would be easier and make things clearer if the 3 threads were unified, or if the other two were locked, and this one become the "official" thread for info about the device.

Just my $02.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

jesus-

2 questions:

1. It's been previously posted that the microRendu has the essentials of the Regen built into its USB circuitry. Does this mean it makes a Regen superfluous?\Have you tried them together?

Any SQ improvement form using a Regen together with the microRendu over a microRendu on its own?

2. Is the picture you posted the actual picture of how it will look? Looks handsome to me.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Looking forward to this one!

This is how intend to use it to simplify mu setup. Counting from the router (a bit simplified…)

Messy today:

Router -> FMC -> FMC -> MacMini -> JitterBug -> Regen Green -> USB cable -> Regen Amber -> DAC

Simpler tomorrow:

Router -> FMC -> FMC -> microRendu -> DAC

With the micrRendu the MacMini (now running RoonServer instead of NAA) will have its UpTone tweaks removed and the JS-2 power supply moved to the micrRendu.

Roon client on iPad/MacBookPro

Roon Server & HQPlayer on Mac Mini 2.0 GHz i7 with JS-2

LPS-1 & ultraRendu → Lampizator Atlantic → Bent Audio TAP-X → Atma-sphere M60 → Zero autoformers → Harbeth Compact 7 ES-3

jesus-

2. Is the picture you posted the actual picture of how it will look? Looks handsome to me.

The production one is going to be 12mm longer than this one. The design has a processor module plugged into a carrier board which has the regulators, oscillator and connectors. In the early prototypes the CPU module was very thin and we managed to fit it over the USB jack. The latest version won't fit over the jack so the case has to be a bit longer.

John S.

Question for you Jesus. Would this support the following connection?

Mac Mini running RoonServer, with WiFI enabled and the ethernet port on the Mac Mini connected directly to the microRendu in Mode #5 - RoonReady?

So Mac Mini to microRendu to DAC?

I have not been able to get that specific connection scheme to work. Also, the unit really wants to be connected to the internet. For example, the IP location URL used to find the unit on the network will not work.

Jesus R

I am very interested, and looking forward to what is needed for me to implement the microRendu so that I may employ it with my system. While I am curious about the price point. I am more curious about what is required for me to make it work for my system given my commitment to all sorts of devices intended to improve the rendition of sonic quality, i.e. The Regen, JS-2, MMK etc.

Looking forward to the next step and what it takes to become a customer.

Best,

Richard

I can only inform you of the design and recommend solutions. I suspect that people will try all kind of things connected to it and I'm sure they will report back their findings. I made this link for fun:) SONORE microRendu quick setup guide

Jesus-

Just another request (one already to Chris) to unify the microRendu threads. There's another one here on your sponsor forum started by a user, and an additional one with the same name started by Blizzard. It would be easier and make things clearer if the 3 threads were unified, or if the other two were locked, and this one become the "official" thread for info about the device.

Just my $02.

I closed the post named 'uRendu', but I opted not to merge it here so we could start fresh. The one on the main forum from Blizzard should remain as IMO.

Jesus R

jesus-

2 questions:

1. It's been previously posted that the microRendu has the essentials of the Regen built into its USB circuitry. Does this mean it makes a Regen superfluous?\Have you tried them together?

Any SQ improvement form using a Regen together with the microRendu over a microRendu on its own?

I have not tried that combination. That is a sample case with the correct artwork and endplates installed.

Jesus R

The production one is going to be 12mm longer than this one. The design has a processor module plugged into a carrier board which has the regulators, oscillator and connectors. In the early prototypes the CPU module was very thin and we managed to fit it over the USB jack. The latest version won't fit over the jack so the case has to be a bit longer.

John S.

John, the case in the image is actually long compared to the early design.

Jesus R

Looking forward to this one!

This is how intend to use it to simplify mu setup. Counting from the router (a bit simplified…)

Messy today:

Router -> FMC -> FMC -> MacMini -> JitterBug -> Regen Green -> USB cable -> Regen Amber -> DAC

Simpler tomorrow:

Router -> FMC -> FMC -> microRendu -> DAC

With the micrRendu the MacMini (now running RoonServer instead of NAA) will have its UpTone tweaks removed and the JS-2 power supply moved to the micrRendu.

I like it! Do not put 12VDC into the unit.

Jesus R

I have not been able to get that specific connection scheme to work. Also, the unit really wants to be connected to the internet. For example, the IP location URL used to find the unit on the network will not work.

Jesus R

Thanks Jesus for the reply.

While hoping this might work as it does when interfacing my Mac Mini with my Devialet via ethernet, I realize that in lieu of what I presume would be extra code either on the Mac side or elsewhere, this is probably a no go ( as the Mac Mini has no way of knowing the Rendu is on the other side of the line.

Barr

Silver Circle Audio | Roon | Devialet | Synology | Vivid Audio | Stillpoint Aperture | Auralic | DH Labs

Thanks Jesus for the reply.

While hoping this might work as it does when interfacing my Mac Mini with my Deviate via ethernet, I realize that in lieu of what I presume would be extra code either on the Mac side or elsewhere, this is probably a no go ( as the Mac Mini has no way of knowing the Rendu is on the other side of the line.

Barr

The closest things that could work on the microRendu and Sonicorbitr SE is having a router between them and the Apple computer even if it's not connected to the internet. BTW it works on the Signature Series Rendu:)

Jesus R

@Jesus - So to make sure I understand ,you are saying having a router between the Apple Computer and the microRendu and/or Signature Series works? Or that with the Signature series my scenario of Mac Mini connected via ethernet to Signature works?

Barr

I closed the post named 'uRendu', but I opted not to merge it here so we could start fresh. The one on the main forum from Blizzard should remain as IMO.

+1. I think the Blizzard thread will be an excellent place for thousands of posts worth of unfounded speculation (cf Pono, Aries, MQA threads). Here we can ask John and Jesus specific questions and get some actual information.

Also, much as I liked the "µ," I think the change from "µRendu" to "microRendu" is a wise choice.

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

How would you describe the differences between the microRendu and the Sonic Orbiter SE? Did you envision two different target audiences when you created these two products?

I asked this in the thread that was deleted and Jesus replied:

Dave, the hardware on the microRendu is different in that it's optimized for USB output:) The Sonicorbiter SE is a nice renderer and a great value. The software on the microRendu is similar in functionality, but void of the optical output configuration in the GUI.

I would hazard a guess that since the Sonic Orbiter SE uses off-the-shelf hardware and the microRendu uses custom hardware, the latter will cost more. I hasten to add that it's quite clear the time is not yet right to ask how much the microRendu will cost. I have no special knowledge, but I'm sure this will be revealed as soon as it's feasible.

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

Jesus:

How would you describe the differences between the microRendu and the Sonic Orbiter SE? Did you envision two different target audiences when you created these two products?

I want to let people decide that for themselves. It can be the same audience or not...it's about having options.

Jesus R