IGNORED

Noob Needs Help With Questions About SMSL Q5 Pro.

Dadog

So, Ive got myself some Polk Audio RTi A1s. Ive figured out that I'm going to need an amp to power them (at least, I think I do).

My plan was to wire the aux connection from the back of my PC to a SMSL Q5 Pro, then run the Q5 to the Polk.

My questions.

Will this work?

What stereo connectors are on the Q5 Pro? Are they banana plugs or something else?

Will the Q5 Pro power the Polk A1s?

What cords do I need? Do the Polk A1s accept banana plugs? (I was planning to buy 50ft of speaker wire, cut it to what I need, then put banana plugs on each end.)

Robot Check

If this is your device, your best connection will be USB from the computer to the SMSL amp. Then yes, speaker outputs to the Polks. You might be okay as your speakers are said to be 89 db for sensitivity. But it might be marginal. Depends a bit on what you listen to and how big the room. In small room it might do.

Aux from your computer might work, but would likely not sound great, and might pick up lots of noise. USB will be a far better choice for computer to SMSL. From pictures it looks like the SMSL output posts will accept banana plugs for the speaker wire. The Polk should accept banana plugs as well.

So you will need speaker cable with bananas on each end. You will need a USB cable. One end of the USB should be a micro USB for the SMSL, and the other end will depend on your source computer. Likely you need regular USB to micro USB.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

Sounds good, esldude. I was under the impression that aux (well, headphone jack off rear IO) would deliver the best possible sound and that USB was for the cheaper stuff. Is this right?

Also, Ill be listening in a mid-size room, but I'm only going to sit these about 1.5 feet from where I'm sitting, as I intend to use these for my computer speakers. They needent be too loud, only at an acceptable volume.

Sounds good, esldude. I was under the impression that aux (well, headphone jack off rear IO) would deliver the best possible sound and that USB was for the cheaper stuff. Is this right?

Also, Ill be listening in a mid-size room, but I'm only going to sit these about 1.5 feet from where I'm sitting, as I intend to use these for my computer speakers. They needent be too loud, only at an acceptable volume.

Aux can be good, but usually isn't fantastic from computers. They are too prone to pick up noise from the computer electrical interference. USB gives some isolation from this assuming the USB input into the SMSL is good. In either case, if you have one or the other give it a try with what you have as both would work. If you have the proper USB cable try it too, or buy one as they do not need to be expensive to work well. I could be wrong in this particular instance, but I would give USB the highest probability of sounding good.

Using these for up close computer speakers the 25 watts should be enough for you.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

Thank you, esldude! I have dozens of spare male-to-micro-male cables lying around due to old gadgets and general geek-ery. I will order this amp and try with the speakers, and if it doesn't sound good, hey, that's what returns are for.

Just be aware a lot of male-to-micro-male cables supplied with devices are wired only for charging ... if your first cable doesn't work for audio work your way through your box of cables!

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.