IGNORED

Streamers vs PC

The Marantz AV8801 already has network streaming capabilities, via UPnP/DLNA. So it has its own built-in network audio file decoder/player and the ideal situation of an internal connection to its own DAC. All this comes at no extra cost, well apart from connecting it to your network, if it isn't already!

You can still use the JRiver Media Center to manage your music library. What you won't be using it for is the actual music playback, as that will now be the Marantz's job. Instead you would use JRMC's built-in UPnP control point to control the network file streaming playback of the Marantz, using the music files supplied by JRMC's built-in UPnP/DLNA media server. Of course you can still use JRiver's remote control app on a handheld device to control JRiver remotely, if you don't want to use JRiver at the computer. Also, since you'll no longer be using JRiver for music playback, you've now got the option of installing JRiver on the W7 server box, with the benefit of direct access to the storage drive containing the music files plus taking the laptop out of your music system altogether.

Now compare using the Marantz AV8801 as a UPnP/DLNA network audio player with its built-in DAC, to the lottery of using the Marantz as an external DAC tethered to a computer running music player software. Not forgetting the cost of replacing your laptop (currently the computer being used this way) for a 'better' one such as the C.A.P.S. with the USB-SPDIF convertor.

Arguably the only way you may get any SQ quality improvement is if you replace the Marantz's DAC with a 'better' DAC, be that attached to a computer or a separate network audio player, or even use a separate network audio player with that 'better' DAC already built-in.

So if I understand you correctly, I just load JRMC onto my W7 server and then connect the Marantz via ethernet, correct? Then how do I do the launch it when it is on the server b/c once it's launched I then can just control it from my phone/ipad through the app. How do I get JRMC and the Marantz to work this way cause I am liking this (no extra cost)?

What I mean is once it is installed on the W7 server then what settings do I need to set in JRMC and then where do I go in the Marantz to get this all to work - would this give me a little better SQ?

Like I said, I need to keep the marantz b/c of the processing for movies/room correction. I have tried external DAC's (PS Audio Digital Link III and Wyred 4 Sound DAC2) not top tier but well respected and it actually sounded worse - not as clean and accurate, I think b/c of the extra A/D then D/A conversion that takes place b/c of the room correction.

I am going to go load JRMC right now on my server and then what is my next step?

Thanks everyone and I appreciate the patience as I work through this!

Crap, no they aren't! I knew that seemed too good to be true! Maybe I will look into the CAPS since it sounds like that is really the only way I will get any improvement in SQ! If I continue to use the laptop to the Marantz would a really good HDMI cable like Wireworld Starlight 7 get any anything?

Crap, no they aren't! I knew that seemed too good to be true! Maybe I will look into the CAPS since it sounds like that is really the only way I will get any improvement in SQ! If I continue to use the laptop to the Marantz would a really good HDMI cable like Wireworld Starlight 7 get any anything?

Nope, I wouldn't waste cash on a fancy HDMI cable.

Yeah, this is the problem with non CAPS streamers going wireless. Lots of software tinkering and limited versatility, especially if you want to do video via JRiver. Okay back to a minimum low power LPS embedded PC with HDMI out, under 1k.

Here is my recommendation which I'm positive will blow the labtop away,

motherboard - $112

ASRock N3150DC-ITX Intel Quad-Core Processor N3150 (up to 2.08 GHz) Mini ITX Motherboard/CPU/VGA Combo

memory - $24

you pick according to motherboard specs. 2X2GB should suffice.

case - $45 (any itx casing will work all depending on what you need)

SILVERSTONE Milo series ML05B Black Acrylic Front Panel, 0.8mm SECC body Mini-ITX Media Center / HTPC Case

power supply LPSU (the most important feature) - $395

HDPLEX 100W Linear Power Supply (may be overkill, but will serve you well for versatility over time)

for OS SSD, add a small SSD for around $30, nothing fancy needed, can power separately via your LPSU.

395+112+45+24 +30=$606

for even better power supply, you could add ATX and go with a 24pin motherboard. Would only cost an extra $50 overall.

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

Nope, I wouldn't waste cash on a fancy HDMI cable.

Yeah, this is the problem with non CAPS streamers going wireless. Lots of software tinkering and limited versatility, especially if you want to do video via JRiver. Okay back to a minimum low power LPS embedded PC with HDMI out, under 1k.

Here is my recommendation which I'm positive will blow the labtop away,

motherboard - $112

ASRock N3150DC-ITX Intel Quad-Core Processor N3150 (up to 2.08 GHz) Mini ITX Motherboard/CPU/VGA Combo

memory - $24

you pick according to motherboard specs. 2X2GB should suffice.

case - $45 (any itx casing will work all depending on what you need)

SILVERSTONE Milo series ML05B Black Acrylic Front Panel, 0.8mm SECC body Mini-ITX Media Center / HTPC Case

power supply LPSU (the most important feature) - $395

HDPLEX 100W Linear Power Supply (may be overkill, but will serve you well for versatility over time)

for OS SSD, add a small SSD for around $30, nothing fancy needed, can power separately via your LPSU.

395+112+45+24 +30=$606

for even better power supply, you could add ATX and go with a 24pin motherboard. Would only cost an extra $50 overall.

This is Awesome!!! You rock! This is what I'm gonna do!

Not sure why any of that is necessary. You already have Jriver and a laptop. Just run Jriver in DLNA mode. Your Marantz will see the Jriver library.

+1...

Don't see the need for additional h/w when your AVR has wireless & UPnP/DLNA capability.

With wireless you are isolating the source anyways.

If JRiver seems like too much of a hassle then install Foobar and UPnP/DLNA Renderer, Server, Control Point.

Long term look to adding a NAS and a front end player like the Pi.

For improvement in SQ (highly subjective for each individual), Raspberry Pi with a Linux distro (moOde Audio Player) gave me huge gains. Ditto for Daphile, but it needs a PC. Windows is just not optimized for SQ and that's where I'd be looking to improve SQ.

I've been a JRiver user for a long time... but once I went Linux and freeware I've not looked back to Windows for audio.

Another option to try is to install MinimServer on the laptop and stream to the Marantz. That will also improve SQ (subjective again), but it opens more doors for DLNA streaming and transcoding on the fly.

Give these a try... before going the expensive h/w procurement route.

Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world - Martin Luther

If your server and the Marantz are in the same vicinity, I would suggest that you consider connecting them with HDMI. JRMC's UPnP/DLNA capabilities do not include the full JRiver tool set.
What are these missing features from "full JRiver tool set" you are referring to? If they're anything to do with music playback on the computer its running on, then they're completely unnecessary, since with UPnP/DLNA network file streaming, the audio file decoding & playback will be performed on the Marantz!

If you're referring to JRiver's DSP features, then they should still be supported when JRiver is used as a UPnP/DLNA media server. Even if they were not, it's unlikely the OP uses them at the moment, given the OP's reliance on the Marantz's Audyssey XT32 room correction.

Which reminds me, it's unlikely that by-passing the Marantz's DAC with a new 'better' external DAC will improve SQ, given that its analogue signal supplied to the Marantz would have to be converted back to digital by the Marantz in order to apply the room correction.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Which reminds me, it's unlikely that by-passing the Marantz's DAC with a new 'better' external DAC will improve SQ, given that its analogue signal supplied to the Marantz would have to be converted back to digital by the Marantz in order to apply the room correction.

You're correct Cebolla, when I put in a different (supposedly better DAC) into the mix the sound was not as good. Less accurate and clear and from what I gather it is b/c of the extra A/D and then D/A conversion that takes place b/c of the XT32.

How do I use JRMC as the UPnP/DLNA mode? This seams like something I can try immediately to test for an improvement - I think long term I will still build something like what ElviaCaprice suggested, but I would like to try a few tweaks if possible while I piece it together.

Also, what does W10 Optimized mean? How do I optimize it? I know Windows is prolly the absolute worst OS to use but I only have experience with windows.

If Linux is easy to install and use (does JRMC work with Linux?) I could give it a try. The only reason I am so stuck on JRMC is b/c I have probably 8,000 songs all organized into playlists and that would suck having to go through those again organize.

Also, what does W10 Optimized mean? How do I optimize it? I know Windows is prolly the absolute worst OS to use but I only have experience with windows.

If Linux is easy to install and use (does JRMC work with Linux?) I could give it a try. The only reason I am so stuck on JRMC is b/c I have probably 8,000 songs all organized into playlists and that would suck having to go through those again organize.

Windows 10, in my experience, is one of the best operating systems put out by Microsoft for audio. Since you want to stream video and audio, in JRiver, I would recommend doing the optimizing DIY on the following thread. Do a partition on your OS hard drive and run the optimized OS on 20GB.

HERE

(JRiver) Jetway barebones NUC (mod 3 sCLK-EX, Cybershaft OP 14)  (PH SR7) => mini pcie adapter to PCIe 1X => tXUSBexp PCIe card (mod sCLK-EX) (PH SR7) => (USPCB) Chord DAVE => Omega Super 8XRS/REL t5i  (All powered thru Topaz Isolation Transformer)

What are these missing features from "full JRiver tool set" you are referring to? If they're anything to do with music playback on the computer its running on, then they're completely unnecessary, since with UPnP/DLNA network file streaming, the audio file decoding & playback will be performed on the Marantz!

If you're referring to JRiver's DSP features, then they should still be supported when JRiver is used as a UPnP/DLNA media server. Even if they were not, it's unlikely the OP uses them at the moment, given the OP's reliance on the Marantz's Audyssey XT32 room correction.

Puzzled over that one myself... I think its basically the eye candy remote of using bubble UPNP vs Jremote. If you are tied to an AVR and will be in the room anyway, JRiver theatre mode on widescreen is great eye candy. I have a Marantz AVR myself, its really not worth the effort to connect it to separates

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

Of course, streamers are not without their advantages though at a price. The truly high-end like Linn perform on an entirely different plane. Audio PCs would not compare, but then again they don't cost as much either. I have been building PCs for a long time, and most of my gaming as well as music rigs cost only a little over $2000.

What extra benefits would you get by having a Linn? In my system, there's a dlna server on the PC, the dlna client delivers it's digital output to my DAC. What improvements would having a Linn give?

LMS on Odroid XU4; HQPlayer on i7-8700; iFi iGalvanic; T+A DAC 8 DSD; Benchmark AHB2; Quad ESL 2805s + two Acoustic Energy subs.

You're correct Cebolla, when I put in a different (supposedly better DAC) into the mix the sound was not as good. Less accurate and clear and from what I gather it is b/c of the extra A/D and then D/A conversion that takes place b/c of the XT32.

How do I use JRMC as the UPnP/DLNA mode? This seams like something I can try immediately to test for an improvement - I think long term I will still build something like what ElviaCaprice suggested, but I would like to try a few tweaks if possible while I piece it together.

To use JRMC as a DLNA host, you simply turn on DNLA on your peripherals, like your AVR. it presents as a "zone" in the "Now Playing" area. Simply select it like any other zone, and play away.

Have you installed JRemote on an iDevice? If not, it is the best $10 you will spend on Audio. You can forget about needing the console for JRMC, and just use JRemote as the controller.

I am not sure I get what people are talking about regarding Foobar 2K and Bubble. Both are very good, but rather more complex than JRMC. JRMC's complexity likes pretty much in the number of choices you have to select from, not in actually operating it.

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Puzzled over that one myself... I think its basically the eye candy remote of using bubble UPNP vs Jremote. If you are tied to an AVR and will be in the room anyway, JRiver theatre mode on widescreen is great eye candy. I have a Marantz AVR myself, its really not worth the effort to connect it to separates
Certainly the OP is especially keen to keep the JRiver Media Center user interface (including the UI provided by its own remote app), given that there's extensive playlist use. JRMC's built-in UPnP controller forms part of its UI when enabled and as with the theatre mode you've mentioned, the playlists on the UI should still be available to 'play to' the Marantz via UPnP.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

To use JRMC as a DLNA host, you simply turn on DNLA on your peripherals, like your AVR. it presents as a "zone" in the "Now Playing" area. Simply select it like any other zone, and play away.
Was just about to reply to this Paul, but you beat me to it!

So I'll just provide the relevant link to enable DLNA on the JRiverWiki that I was going to post:

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/DLNA

The Setup Instructions section should be simple enough to follow.

-- Jo Cox

Have you installed JRemote on an iDevice? If not, it is the best $10 you will spend on Audio. You can forget about needing the console for JRMC, and just use JRemote as the controller.

I am not sure I get what people are talking about regarding Foobar 2K and Bubble. Both are very good, but rather more complex than JRMC. JRMC's complexity likes pretty much in the number of choices you have to select from, not in actually operating it.

-Paul

Foobar has a component to control it via Apple's Remote app on iOS, which is also very useful. I don't remember the name (not monkeymote btw), but you can search it online. Basically the Remote app sees the Foobar player as an iTunes library and controls it from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile mobile app

Foobar has a component to control it via Apple's Remote app on iOS, which is also very useful. I don't remember the name (not monkeymote btw), but you can search it online. Basically the Remote app sees the Foobar player as an iTunes library and controls it from there.

Ye, the Remote.app from Apple is quite good, and controls Apple TVs as well as iTunes instances and Airplay destinations. Very nice indeed.

The JRemote application adds an enormous amount onto that. Roon-Like information on artists, streaming to the iDevice, even streaming hi-res, and the capability to view and use JRMC sorted categories, which is absolutely essential these days. ;)

-Paul

Robert A. Heinlein

Ye, the Remote.app from Apple is quite good, and controls Apple TVs as well as iTunes instances and Airplay destinations. Very nice indeed.

The JRemote application adds an enormous amount onto that. Roon-Like information on artists, streaming to the iDevice, even streaming hi-res, and the capability to view and use JRMC sorted categories, which is absolutely essential these days. ;)

-Paul

That I wouldn't know Paul since I haven't used JRemote, but I take your word for it (together with thousands other people who prefer JRiver). I have transitioned to Daphile for now and am very happy, even if my basic iOs remote app is exactly that - very basic compared to JRemote.

Nonetheless, maybe one day I will check JRiver, thank you for your input!

That I wouldn't know Paul since I haven't used JRemote, but I take your word for it (together with thousands other people who prefer JRiver). I have transitioned to Daphile for now and am very happy, even if my basic iOs remote app is exactly that - very basic compared to JRemote.

Nonetheless, maybe one day I will check JRiver, thank you for your input!

Oh Daphile is pretty nice too. It is based upon the Logitech Squeezebox server, and works very well. Might want to look at VortexBox as well, as it has the same functionality as well as some other, more extended stuff. The high end Sonore stuff is, I think, based upon the same software, albeit greatly extended.

In any case, good luck and have fun. :)

Robert A. Heinlein

Oh Daphile is pretty nice too. It is based upon the Logitech Squeezebox server, and works very well. Might want to look at VortexBox as well, as it has the same functionality as well as some other, more extended stuff. The high end Sonore stuff is, I think, based upon the same software, albeit greatly extended.

In any case, good luck and have fun. :)

Yeap you are right! Even the higher end servers from Antipodes are based on Vortexbox and their own optimizations, so I'm guessing it has to be good.

I actually downloaded the iso file to run it in virtualbox to get a first taste, because I've heard good things about it, but still haven't had the time yet. I hope soon!