IGNORED

Diskless Windows 10 PC Setup Procedure

I forgot to ask you whether you prefer running Windows Server 2016 GUI mode on your audio PC. I actually have a bootable iSCSI image (.VHDX) for remote installing WS2016 for diskless clients. It's about 6GB in size. My Dropbox account does not have the capacity to hold such a file. Is there a place I can upload this file to for you to access?

If you have access to the Windows Server 2016 installation files, there's another option. I can prepare a bootable VHDX without the OS installation files. The file size should shrink to less than 1GB which can be uploaded to my Dropbox. You will need to mount this VHDX and insert the WS2016 installation files into it. The VHDX will be set to dynamic sizing large enough to accommodate the OS installation files. I can PM the steps if your are OK with this.

If you have access to the Windows Server 2016 installation files, there's another option. I can prepare a bootable VHDX without the OS installation files. The file size should shrink to less than 1GB which can be uploaded to my Dropbox. You will need to mount this VHDX and insert the WS2016 installation files into it. The VHDX will be set to dynamic sizing large enough to accommodate the OS installation files. I can PM the steps if your are OK with this.

Much appreciated! PM sent.

audio system

• 2 weeks later...

Following a series of PM's with scan80269, who helped me setup diskless booting using his new method with a vhdx image for installing WS2016, I finally got it running... Many thanks scan80269, for your good pointers and patience!

In the process I learned that, for my dual PC setup with JPLAY, AO and FP, it is not a good idea to use the control PC as the iSCSI server because applying optimizations can break the diskless connection. This was confirmed by AudioPhil. So next I used an independent third PC as iSCSI server, which enabled me to go some steps further optimizing the control PC.

As far as I know, the only limitation with diskless that remains is that, on the audio PC, I can not disable network related services or SCSI-MiniPort Drivers (in AO).

It feels very elegant to have a diskless audio PC, but in the end, I should let my ears decide. So I did some listening to familiar material in the diskless setup, and then went back to running the audio PC from an SSD powered with a separate LPS (Teradak 5V). In the latter case I also disabled network related services and SCSI-MiniPort Drivers on the audio PC. The control PC remained unchanged.

It was a close call: both setups sound wonderful but I think I like the setup with disk a little better. More directness, intimacy, a little warmer, easier highs. Is it because of the extra optimizations on the audio PC? Reduced network traffic? Not sure, but I will stick with this setup for a while...

Going diskless was a nice adventure, and I may go back to diskless in future. After all, things are changing so fast in CA...

audio system

Following a series of PM's with scan80269, who helped me setup diskless booting using his new method with a vhdx image for installing WS2016, I finally got it running... Many thanks scan80269, for your good pointers and patience!

In the process I learned that, for my dual PC setup with JPLAY, AO and FP, it is not a good idea to use the control PC as the iSCSI server because applying optimizations can break the diskless connection. This was confirmed by AudioPhil. So next I used an independent third PC as iSCSI server, which enabled me to go some steps further optimizing the control PC.

As far as I know, the only limitation with diskless that remains is that, on the audio PC, I can not disable network related services or SCSI-MiniPort Drivers (in AO).

It feels very elegant to have a diskless audio PC, but in the end, I should let my ears decide. So I did some listening to familiar material in the diskless setup, and then went back to running the audio PC from an SSD powered with a separate LPS (Teradak 5V). In the latter case I also disabled network related services and SCSI-MiniPort Drivers on the audio PC. The control PC remained unchanged.

It was a close call: both setups sound wonderful but I think I like the setup with disk a little better. More directness, intimacy, a little warmer, easier highs. Is it because of the extra optimizations on the audio PC? Reduced network traffic? Not sure, but I will stick with this setup for a while...

Going diskless was a nice adventure, and I may go back to diskless in future. After all, things are changing so fast in CA...

Your ControlPC was diskless or not? Which disks (SSD, HDD, manufacturer) you are using for AudioPC?

Your ControlPC was diskless or not? Which disks (SSD, HDD, manufacturer) you are using for AudioPC?

Only my audio PC was diskless. The disk I now use for the audio PC is a Vertex 60GB SSD.

Never tried a diskless control PC as I would expect that this has less effect in my setup, where the audio PC is optically isolated with network fiber cable.

audio system

• 1 year later...

Dear Sir,

Through this Letter,  I am heartily requesting you to help in this regard...Please..

Sir,  I have installed Windows 2012 R2 Datacenter in my Desktop PC and done configuration of DHCP, Windows Deplyoment Service, iSCSI  Target Server Extra Extra... Seeing this Video-> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=977_rItTM0c&t=246s completed Everything  on Server Side..

When I Boot on Client Side.... It Shows the Following...

On Client Side:

While Booting....

configuring (net0 00:1f:d0:ba:ca:bf)...... ok

net0: 172.27.100.51/255.255.0.0 gw 172.27.100.1

next server 172.27.100.10 Filename : 001FD0BACABF tfpt://172.27.100.10/001FD0BACABF.........no Such file or directory in this Something something..... Again Repeating Same above Steps.....Extra Extra.....

Sir,

Honestly Requesting  you to help me in this project...

It would be Great If do little bit of help from you side.

Thanking you,

Basavaraj From India,

OtherWise ... I follow you Steps and will make same Server setup and configuration again with support of yours. But you could tell me in Step by step in Detailed manner.

Once I understood... I Never repeat the same Question again.

Please do little bit of help

Thanking you Sir