IGNORED

No 5.1 0r 7.1 over HDMI from GPU

CraigR

Hi Anwaypasible

Tried a earlier driver after full clean but still the same.I have a new hard drive here so i am going to do a clean install and hopefully i will have some success.I'm going to crack on with this straight away now.I will let you know first thing tomorrow how this has turned out..hopefully good results,fingers crossed.

Thanks so much for your help :)

Very kind Regards

Craig

this implies nvidia is using intel chipset for audio:

No audio out through the HDMI for Alienware M17x | NotebookReview

this implies amd is using realtek chipset for audio:

Solved Digital Audio (HDMI) only has 2 channel option

this implies, if your nvidia hdmi drivers are properly installed they will show up in the add/remove programs list (and a tool to force the uninstall):

How Do I Uninstall/Remove NVIDIA HDMI Audio Completely Off Your PC

what this website says about hdmi audio on nvidia cards: 'Newer GPUs include a fully-fledged sound card, implemented according to the Intel HD-audio ("Azalia”) specification.'

ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/gpu-hdmi-audio-document/gpu-hdmi-audio.html#_types_of_hdmi_audio_support

that means, either finding an intel audio driver or perhaps intel chipset drivers.

Hi

I bear unwell news..

I did a new install on a new hard drive and the 4 NVIDI ports showed again as unplugged.Even when i installed the latest driver they were still there.When i plug the HDMI into my TV it shows samsung,when i plug back into my AV receiver it shows sonyavamp..:(

reinstalling the operating system & using the same version of drivers states the operating system's aged install wasn't the problem.

that means we've got to move on to getting the driver to work.

download the last 10 versions of drivers from nvidia and use one (or both) advanced uninstallers to remove the old driver before installing the new one, with a reboot after every uninstall.

the driver cleaner i used to use has been replaced by this one: https://treexy.com/products/driver-fusion/

if those other driver versions don't fix the problem, something is wrong with the graphics card.

or take this approach, your installation is being hacked through the internet every single time you attempt to install the driver (meaning there is nothing wrong with the graphics card).

your choice.

when i hear of other people with a problem using their hdmi connection from the graphics card to the receiver, there are posts saying the problem has been fixed.

that tells me there are people out there with working hdmi connections & sound properties that show 5.1 or 7.1 configurations.

why would your version of windows be any different?

**edit**

i mean for what it is worth,

if you can get stereo audio out of the hdmi connection, that proves the driver is partially working.

but there is probably some flag that tells the windows mixer the soundcard can do more than stereo and the flag is missing.

it could be a timing reference issue, where something isn't happening within a specific amount of time and thus the flag is being ignored.

but all computers are supposed to be the same, with any differences noted as well as compiled to be prepared creating a standard.

the only reason your computer would be off on the timing is a short list:

the motherboard or graphics card was hacked with software.

the motherboard or graphics card has had a lousy repair (replacing a component on the circuit board that is throwing off the timing).

the power supply isn't providing clean electricity to the motherboard.

the electricity going into the power supply is dirty beyond the filtering ability of the power supply.

I bear now excellent news...:):):):)....All Fixed

The issue was with the receiver setting.When i was going through the settings for the HDMI it was set to TV+AMP,i thought well i only need the amp so i set it to just this.Then in the configuration all the sound settings were there :) as per picture :

20160122_021213_resized.jpg

It seems as though the graphics card sees the amp as the audio device and the setting that i changed must allow you to take audio from the TV if needed,thats why it only gave me stereo and when TV switched off it seen the AV settings.....

well if turning the power off on the television fixed the sound configuration settings, that seems to me like perhaps the computer was reading the available speakers from the television - and then turning the television off forced the receiver to say something.

if changing the setting in the receiver from tv+amp to simply amp caused the sound configuration settings to change, that seems like the receiver was telling the graphics card to ignore the surround sound as per the saving energy efforts.

but i can see why the receiver would tell the graphics card to ignore the surround sound with tv+amp selected, because there is no reason to try to get surround sound going from the theater setup while using the television speakers that would throw off the sound effects from the theater setup.

might as well be an hdmi passthrough., yet it is silly they would allow you to run stereo audio from the theater speakers as well as the speakers on the television.

i guess punishing people for the lack of reference audio standard came by the way of turning off the surround speakers.

i'm happy you got the configuration working.

no sense thinking thousands of other people got theirs working and yours wasn't.

i've recently accomplished getting the video player software to decode all the new high definition surround sound formats allowing me to use the analog connections of my older home theater receiver rather than upgrade to a new one that does the decoding.

the distortion of the new receivers isn't any lower.

the signal to noise ratio of the new receivers isn't any higher.

no reason i should upgrade if i don't need to.

but

i still need to replace the tweeters in my surround speakers before i can get 4.1 working.

been listening to stereo for years now.

i got some surround sound time in and i wasn't impressed.

haven't had a chance to hear surround sound with the speakers calibrated with the microphone yet.

part of me doesn't want to bother considering my rear speakers are different than the front speakers.

(using the same speakers increases the chance of virtual speakers to the maximum, considering timing & phase & timbre - unless you are going for uber custom that uses rear speakers that mix with the front speakers to create virtual speakers of higher caliber timbre, all while bringing the phase closer to 0 degrees, and perhaps going as far as helping remove some room reflections even though the rear speakers aren't playing audio constantly enough to give the most reduction)

enjoy.

powerdvd is the first software that comes to mind when thinking of video player software that has a price tag.

the website says powerdvd can do 240 frames per second.

though nothing else about the software seems impressive.

all the video players with a price tag need to do HD audio passthrough at least.

being able to decode the HD audio and send it out of the soundcard using analog connections is certainly a plus for any software.

but chances are powerdvd makes setup a lot easier for beginners compared to the hassle of other free video players.

i remember powerdvd coming with new dvd rom drives 15 years ago.

back then people said it was good, and today the website talks about being the number one video player of the world.

i certainly wouldn't ignore the possibility that quality exists.

but at the same time, video player software is much like audio player software.

the software will perform the same unless it is defective.

can't dither the color bit-depth on the new 10 bit videos if the televisions & monitors are locked to 10 bit.