IGNORED

Aurender x100L vs N100H

Hi Guys,

Could you explain what is the difference between Aurender x100L vs N100H except the HDD capacity?

Aurender's network player N100 that was dedicated only to play whether from NAS or TIDAL comes now with HHD of 2TB and is called N100H. That makes it a media server and player.

Anyway, Aurender's X100S (HDD 1TB) en X100L (HDD 6TB or 12TB) are both media server and players too.

They are differently build. They cost (except the 12TB) almost the same. They are in different housing.

What is than the difference?, and obviously, which one is better?

Looking forward to clarify the case.

Cheers,

Andre

One difference - the N100H, a newer design, has a linear power supply, while the X100L has a switching power supply, which tends to generate more electrical "noise" than the linear kind.

Other differences too, which I cannot remember off the top of my head.

Dave, who has been testing out a N100H

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Music is love, made audible.

The N series can also be ordered as an N100S which has a 1 TB SSD.

Plays from cache so not sure if there is any sonic benefit. Sure is quite though

27x17x10 Golden Ratio room,EtherRegen>Melco N1A EX H60 server/streamer >T+A Dac 200>Coda CsIB > Paradigm Personas 5f, Combak Harmonica Footers, Townshend Podiums, Custom swarm sub system , Iconoclast 4x4 UPOCC XLR cable, Townshend F1 Fractal speaker cables  SoTM dBl7 Ethernet cable, Puritan 156, Farad 3 LPS,  Synergistic, Audience,and Triode wire labs power cabling ,Stillpoints, SR fuses,GIK Slatfusors

The N series can also be ordered as an N100S which has a 1 TB SSD.

Plays from cache so not sure if there is any sonic benefit. Sure is quite though

I installed a 1TB SSD in my N100 demo unit early on and have done the same for some customers, the cost of the drive being a pass-thru. There is a 120GB SSD used for caching, so whether the storage drive is SSD or a hard drive the sound should not be affected.

Brian Walsh

Analog Expert / Showroom Manager

Music Direct

N100 (not H) has no moving parts, Linear PS and sounds great with a NAS (with optical LAN isolation).

Source:

*Aurender N100 (no internal disk : LAN optically isolated via FMC with *LPS) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch - split for *LPS) > Intona Industrial (injected *LPS / internally shielded with copper tape) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > W4S Recovery (*LPS) > DIY 2cm USB adaptor (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > *Auralic VEGA (EXACT : balanced)

Control:

*Jeff Rowland CAPRI S2 (balanced)

Playback:

2 x Revel B15a subs (balanced) > ATC SCM 50 ASL (balanced - 80Hz HPF from subs)

Misc:

*Via Power Inspired AG1500 AC Regenerator

LPS: 3 x Swagman Lab Audiophile Signature Edition (W4S, Intona & FMC)

Storage: QNAP TS-253Pro 2x 3Tb, 8Gb RAM

Cables: DIY heavy gauge solid silver (balanced)

Mains: dedicated distribution board with 5 x 2 socket ring mains, all mains cables: Mark Grant Black Series DSP 2.5 Dual Screen

While not directly related to your question I bought an N10 a month ago partly for the internal storage capacity. I have found it very difficult to manage files on the internal disks after the initial drag and drop. I use a NAS with it instead and can manage files as I was doing before. So, if you are like me, you may find that the internal storage is not really an asset and your money would be best spent on the rest of the unit.

I have found it very difficult to manage files on the internal disks after the initial drag and drop. ... So, if you are like me, you may find that the internal storage is not really an asset....

Ah, but how can we know if we are like you, aking, unless you describe in some detail the difficulty you're finding in managing files on the internal disks.

I ask, because with the N100H's hard drive mounted as a network drive on my work Macintosh desktop, it's just a drive with folders.

And that means I can simply move files from place to place, even after the initial drag and drop.

It's easy for me, so I'm trying to understand why someone might have problems.

Perhaps I can help you.

Actually, I'm really moving not just files, but mainly folders named by artist which contain folders named by albums (which contain the music files themselves).

Dave, who so far has been mighty pleased by the N100H and if he can find the time will write up a summary of what it's like to move from a headless Mac Mini music server to the Aurender unit

OK. Let me explain. I no longer delve into my music library having had problems in the past with iTunes not being able to locate files that I had previously moved in an attempt to organise it. Now I use the "automatically add to iTunes" functionality exclusively and fix any metadata issues in iTunes itself. I naively supposed that I would be able to continue doing this on the N10 internal disk drives but found I could not - at least I haven't found a way yet. At that point I decided to start again and try to erase the disks using Disk Utility or in Finder neither of which seemed to work. At that point the main advantage of having an internal disk drive (simplicity/ease of use) was lost as far as I was concerned. I was expecting the internal storage to act like the internal HDD of my Mac Mini which to me is much easier than using a NAS but it did not. So I have gone back to using the NAS connected to the N10 which works great except I sometimes have duplicates appearing on my iPad due to the internal storage libraries still being there.

Hi Guys,

Could you explain what is the difference between Aurender x100L vs N100H except the HDD capacity?

Aurender's network player N100 that was dedicated only to play whether from NAS or TIDAL comes now with HHD of 2TB and is called N100H. That makes it a media server and player.

Anyway, Aurender's X100S (HDD 1TB) en X100L (HDD 6TB or 12TB) are both media server and players too.

They are differently build. They cost (except the 12TB) almost the same. They are in different housing.

What is than the difference?, and obviously, which one is better?

Looking forward to clarify the case.

Cheers,

Andre

Besides the differences already mentioned, I believe that the N100 series is primarily intended to access music on a network, i.e., a NAS. The X100, while still needing a network connection for control via an iPad, is intended to have your music stored internally.

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

Remember garbage in garbage out. When I first populated my X100L, I did with a direct connection from my PC. Later, I did an A/B/C test with the same music (via my intranet) from the internal HDD, my PC HDD and my Synology 713+. Strangely, I found that the best sound came from the Aurender's internal HDDs. I received a lot of flack for printing that on this site. Only one person mentioned that the network may be at fault. Sure enough, the router I was using at the music rack was faulty. Now, I think the Aurender's HDD sound the best but am willing to agree that the difference (if any) is too slight to be meaningful.

This led me to think about getting a N10 but I decided to get new speakers instead (sorry Brian :)).

rw

Aurender N10, Esoteric F-05 Integrated Amplifier, Synergistic Active USB, Oppo 203, Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker cables, Legacy Audio Focus SE, Rega Planar 10 turntable with Aphelion 2 cartridge.

rw

the network galvanic isolation from Acousense, named GISO helped a lot my X100 regarding streaming Tidal and I suspect it will help NAS streaming as well.

A lpsu will also help your router/switch to be cleaner.

Give GISO a try.

I also prefer my internal HDD but with GISO and very good LAN cable (last meter from Aurender to GISO) sometimes I find Tidal streaming competitive.

There is also a great tweak for X100 users. Pm me if you're interested.

Cycleman, your answer was the bullseye of course!

The linear power supply of n100 seams to be a logic improvement over x100, however I find it some how strange that Aurender puts on the market almost the same product which is cheaper than its preceder and better.

Is it a ours incorrect product market positioning or there is something else behind?

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile mobile app

Akin,

Your experience are the most scary. I am also coming from mac mini world where I spent days on organizing meta. Currently using Audirvana with separate app and I can start all over again.

The last thing would be struggling with Aurender meta data problems[emoji16]

On part time audio I read a grate review over x100 where internal hdd storage was described as grate and definitely superior to possibility given by NAS...

Here the link:

http://parttimeaudiophile.com/2014/09/19/review-aurender-x100l-music-server/

Cheers

Andre

Cycleman, your answer was the bullseye of course!

The linear power supply of n100 seams to be a logic improvement over x100, however I find it some how strange that Aurender puts on the market almost the same product which is cheaper than its preceder and better.

Is it a ours incorrect product market positioning or there is something else behind?

I haven't heard anyone say the N100 is better than the X100. This is a possibility but not definitive. I think the X100 costs more because there are more and older parts. The case must accommodate two HDDs and circuitry. The N series almost certainly benefit from the advancement in circuitry. However, newer is not always better. :)

Aurender N10, Esoteric F-05 Integrated Amplifier, Synergistic Active USB, Oppo 203, Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker cables, Legacy Audio Focus SE, Rega Planar 10 turntable with Aphelion 2 cartridge.

Here's my quick experience, with more to come when I have time.

1. I've kept my digital music library for nearly 15 years using iTunes, growing it to the point where all my CDs have been ripped, new CDs get ripped in days, and in addition I regularly download high-resolution PCM audio.
  2. That use of iTunes includes both creating and editing metadata, as well as consolidating files into one main folder on my work iMac.
  3. The metadata, including covers (which I paste in by hand; not letting iTunes do it), is as complete as I want it.
  4. That music library has worked well with my Squeezebox Touch, my first digital music player, and the iPeng iOS app.
  5. That music library has worked well with Audirvana (integrated) on my (dedicated) music Mac Mini.
  6. The music library also works well with Audirvana (standalone), by pointing Audirvana to the main folder that iTunes originally created.
  7. I regularly have copied music files from one computer to another, and the metadata is just as complete on the second or third Mac as it is on the first.
  8. Then, when I got my Aurender N100H last week, I copied those same music files from my work iMac to the Aurender's internal drive.
  9. All 2092 albums and all 30,068 tracks (which are all PCM) that are on my work iMac and music Mac Mini also appear on the N100H.
  10. And all of the metadata, including covers, that is on the Mac computers also appears on the Aurender N100H.
  11. And adding new music to the Aurender N100H is a simple task, just copying on the Mac desktop to the N100H as a connected server.

I love the Aurender N100H, for both its substantially better sound quality than the Mac Mini in my main music system and the great iPad app for controlling it. Plus, I continue to use Audirvana (in standalone mode) on the Mac Mini in my secondary system.

I can describe more details of my continued successful process over the next week or so, in case others might benefit.

Any questions now, please just ask.

Dave, who says other than album covers the metadata he has in his music files includes only these:

• track name
  • artist
  • album artist
  • album name
  • year
  • track numbers
  • disc number(s)
  • composer(s)
  • genre

I haven't heard anyone say the N100 is better than the X100. This is a possibility but not definitive. I think the X100 costs more because there are more and older parts. The case must accommodate two HDDs and circuitry. The N series almost certainly benefit from the advancement in circuitry. However, newer is not always better. :)

Well, it is. Not by a mile, but still better. The jump in performance going to either the N10 or W20 is major.

If you want lots of internal storage the choice is obvious. If on the other hand a 2TB hard drive has more than enough capacity at least for a good long while, the choice should be obvious. Any Aurender can use a NAS if you wish.

Brian Walsh

Analog Expert / Showroom Manager

Music Direct

Well, it is. Not by a mile, but still better. The jump in performance going to either the N10 or W20 is major.

I would love to near the N100 with optical LAN isolation (LPS), TotalDAC cable, REGEN (LPS) vs the N10 & W20... I suspect the difference will not be so major.

I suspect the other units are better because they are less vulnerable to the things that optimising the N100's operating environment fixes.

Regardless, it would be nice if they made an N10 without internal storage (or the supporting circuitry). I might consider that offering (and could experiment with other connections).

I love the minimalist design of the N100 and when optimised it sounds brilliant.

Source:

*Aurender N100 (no internal disk : LAN optically isolated via FMC with *LPS) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch - split for *LPS) > Intona Industrial (injected *LPS / internally shielded with copper tape) > DIY 5cm USB link (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > W4S Recovery (*LPS) > DIY 2cm USB adaptor (5v rail removed / ground lift switch) > *Auralic VEGA (EXACT : balanced)

Control:

*Jeff Rowland CAPRI S2 (balanced)

Playback:

2 x Revel B15a subs (balanced) > ATC SCM 50 ASL (balanced - 80Hz HPF from subs)

Misc:

*Via Power Inspired AG1500 AC Regenerator

LPS: 3 x Swagman Lab Audiophile Signature Edition (W4S, Intona & FMC)

Storage: QNAP TS-253Pro 2x 3Tb, 8Gb RAM

Cables: DIY heavy gauge solid silver (balanced)

Mains: dedicated distribution board with 5 x 2 socket ring mains, all mains cables: Mark Grant Black Series DSP 2.5 Dual Screen

If you want lots of internal storage the choice is obvious. If on the other hand a 2TB hard drive has more than enough capacity at least for a good long while, the choice should be obvious. Any Aurender can use a NAS if you wish.

Thanks Brian, it is good to know. The X100 has definitely weaned me away from NAS's. I have one but it is mostly relegated to backup, video and surveillance use. As you know, I was reluctant about having my music stored on the "streamer". Once I bought the X100 and populated it, I knew that using the NAS as my source wasn't for me anymore. It is rare to find a product that packages convenience, excellence and reasonable price.

I would like to purchase a N10 with 4tB but that will have to wait. Priorities, prorities...

• 1 year later...

Hi everyone I just recently purchased a N100H.

Has anyone changed the hard drive inside the N100H to a larger capacity? Is this simple to do? I suppose it would void the warranty. 

Are there any particular NAS drives (recommendations) that work well with the Aurender N100H?

• 5 months later...

I recently acquired a like new 220v 2Tb N100h cheap. (Well a lot cheaper than a new one).  Took some research but I converted it to 110v pretty easily. (Just a few wiring changes to the dual voltage transformer)

Since the the system is Linux based upgrades aren’t as easy as conventional PCs but these are nothing more than custom designed PCs. 

Upgraded 2Tb internal HD to a 4Tb Barracuda notebook HD. Actual storage is showing 3.6 Tb but it’s more than sufficient for my needs. The 2TB units seem to have there 2nd HD connection omitted so you need to increase the size of the HD versus adding a second drive. 

Upgraded internal SATA SSD which holds operating software and functions as playback cache from 120gb to slightly faster and larger 250gb Samsung SATA SSD. 

Everything works perfect but you do need some freeware Linux tools to clone and partition the HD and SSD correctly. 

The wiring change to convert the unit from 220v to 110v is easy. The N100h has a dual voltage transformer. Almost every picture I’ve found on the internet actually shows 220v transformer wiring configuration. From the back looking forward the transformer wiring from the plug is as follows:  If your initial configuration doesn’t match below stop and don’t try this. I’m not responsible if it goes wrong. 

For 220v

Position 1 Black
Position 2 bridge Red to position 3
Position 3 bridge Red from position 2
Position 4 White

For 110-115 US voltage
Position 1 empty
Position 2 Black
Position 3 empty
Position 4 White

To increase the size of the SATA SSD you need to clone the original SSD with a LINUX based partition/disk cloner. The cache SSD is partitioned into several sections. The Linux boot loader and operating system has its own partition separate from the music cache partition. You need to clone proportionally block by block. This will increase the size of each partition but the largest partition is used for music playback. 

Same with changing the hard drive. Must be configured as a Linux hard drive which is different from MAC or Windows configurations. I deleted all but a few songs from mine before I cloned mine just to speed up the process. It too some trial and error to get the configuration right. Then copied the music back over. Running a 4tb barracuda drive now. 

Its not easy, I already had usb external drive mounts for disk cloning but needed to purchase SATA SSD to SATA adapters to mount and clone the SATA SSD. SATA SSD is not M2 SSD. They have different pin outs. 

Other than the voltage change you may you may just want to leave things alone. If you really need more storage the units support external NAS via USB. 
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Fred,

I am glad you are enjoying the N100h.  I am selling the X100L on Ebay and have had several questions about the power.  The back reads 110-220V  but the male cable end is most definitely not 110v as far as I know.  Can you tell me how to describe this so potential buyers will understand?   Thanks Chris