IGNORED

Sonicorbiter - DLNA/MPD Output Mode

vortecjr

I just resubscribed to Tidal, and am having difficulty setting up to stream to my microRendu through the DLNA mode. I have BubbleUPNP set up as OpenHome, and the Tidal check box is checked. But I'm not seeing Tidal as a tile option in Linn Kazoo on my iPad - which is what Linn's website seems to say should be happening. The only thing I'm seeing in settings that's suspicious is the BubbleUPNP internet connectivity test keeps coming up with errors. I guess this means it's having trouble accessing the internet? Is this the reason Tidal isn't working - the microRendu isn't connecting to the internet?

If this is indeed the issue. How do I resolve it? I'm not sure which settings or situations to troubleshoot. MicroRendu is ethernet connected to my router, and all other devices on my network are having no issues connecting to internet.

I always rename my renderer with a -OH so I know which is the correct one. The error you see is for an unrelated remote access feature. I have the error as well and Tidal works fine for me.

Screen Shot 2016-11-27 at 7.12.38 AM.png

I always rename my renderer with a -OH so I know which is the correct one. The error you see is for an unrelated remote access feature. I have the error as well and Tidal works fine for me.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]31098[/ATTACH]

Thanks for the suggestion, Jesus. This did the trick. When I renamed the Room in the user interface like your screenshot, it showed up in the Linn app as a separate room to join. And that room now allows Tidal. Interesting that it did not when they were the same name. Anyway, this fixed it. Thanks!

Alright, now I have another mystery to solve. Tidal is working great as long as I only play one song at a time. When I have a queue of songs, Tidal will play one or sometimes two songs before stopping. It always stops in the transition to the next song in the queue - this isn't a matter of dropouts in the middle of songs or anything. I'm not sure where the matter could be. Any help?

Is this the microRendu? Or Kazoo? Or Tidal? Or my internet connection? Where should I look?

I've made sure my gapless playback in BubbleUPNP OpenHome is enabled, for what that's worth.

Anyone else ever had this issue?

Alright, now I have another mystery to solve. Tidal is working great as long as I only play one song at a time. When I have a queue of songs, Tidal will play one or sometimes two songs before stopping. It always stops in the transition to the next song in the queue - this isn't a matter of dropouts in the middle of songs or anything. I'm not sure where the matter could be. Any help?

Is this the microRendu? Or Kazoo? Or Tidal? Or my internet connection? Where should I look?

I've made sure my gapless playback in BubbleUPNP OpenHome is enabled, for what that's worth.

Anyone else ever had this issue?

No reports of this from customers. It's also playing fine for me.

I have decided to favor MPD over UPnP because I use fairly large playlists (200+ tracks) and find that switching such playlists is significantly faster with MPD than with UPnP. Are MPD playlists stored somewhere on the mR? I can't figure out where they are stored. I would like to be able to back them up as well as restore them if necessary.

My apologies for being a little off topic, owing to my mR reference. This MPD thread seemed closest to my matter of interest.

I have decided to favor MPD over UPnP because I use fairly large playlists (200+ tracks) and find that switching such playlists is significantly faster with MPD than with UPnP. Are MPD playlists stored somewhere on the mR? I can't figure out where they are stored. I would like to be able to back them up as well as restore them if necessary.

My apologies for being a little off topic, owing to my mR reference. This MPD thread seemed closest to my matter of interest.

It's kept on the device running the controller.

Thank you, Jesus. I have used MPD Control and BubbleDS Next on my Android, where I have used MPD Control to build my playlists. Apparently they "cross-pollinate" my playlists in such a way that my wife's Linn Kinsky on her iPad can enjoy the playlists as well. Not really sure how that happens.

Does the MPD implementation support cover art? I tried <album folder>/Folder.jpg without success.

You might need to try cover.jpg or folder.jpg. I forget the correct format, but it does work. You also have to update the covert art database on the controller.

Many use the iPad/iPhone app mPod/mPad. Here is some cover art info. Folder.jpg should have worked, but has Jesus said, check your local cover art settings.

MPD - MPoD Cover Art

I tried naming the file 'cover.jpg' and then 'folder.jpg', while aligning my client's cover filename to each one -- no joy. I think I am missing at least one fundamental. In mR's External Drive Mounter for SMB, my mount point is '/music/flac/nas'. What should my client's path-to-music be? 'covers/flac/nas'? I tried that without success. I suspect that path-to-music is my root issue/mystery because it is based on mR's http configuration, which is a black box for me.

I tried naming the file 'cover.jpg' and then 'folder.jpg', while aligning my client's cover filename to each one -- no joy. I think I am missing at least one fundamental. In mR's External Drive Mounter for SMB, my mount point is '/music/flac/nas'. What should my client's path-to-music be? 'covers/flac/nas'? I tried that without success. I suspect that path-to-music is my root issue/mystery because it is based on mR's http configuration, which is a black box for me.

There are some tips on the Drive Mounter application here: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f26-sonore-sponsored/sonicorbiter-drive-mounter-101-a-27417/

If you are going to mount a network drive you need the full network address of the server including the shared folder you want access to. FYI Using DLNA avoids all these setup issues.

Mounting the drive and accessing the music is not my issue. The web server path is my challenge and the tips you reference do not cover the web server, Jesus.

Focusing on Ted's information and using my wife's MPaD, Cover Wizard indicates that the cover was not found, referencing 'http://192.168.168.202/cover.php?/Constance%20Demby/Sacred%20Space%20Music/cover.jpg'. I've got a feeling that the beginning of the jpg path is not correct.

Mounting the drive and accessing the music is not my issue. The web server path is my challenge and the tips you reference do not cover the web server, Jesus.

Focusing on Ted's information and using my wife's MPaD, Cover Wizard indicates that the cover was not found, referencing 'http://192.168.168.202/cover.php?/Constance%20Demby/Sacred%20Space%20Music/cover.jpg'. I've got a feeling that the beginning of the jpg path is not correct.

I'll try and replicate this for you.

I figured it out! It does not involve PHP. In MPaD, URL is 'http://192.168.168.202/music' and I decided to set Cover Filename to '_cover.jpg' so that my lame Android client, MPD Control (which seems to expect that the first alphabetic file in each folder be the image file) works as well. <ugh!> Thanks for helping out Jesus and Ted.

I figured it out! It does not involve PHP. In MPaD, URL is 'http://192.168.168.202/music' and I decided to set Cover Filename to '_cover.jpg' so that my lame Android client, MPD Control (which seems to expect that the first alphabetic file in each folder be the image file) works as well. <ugh!> Thanks for helping out Jesus and Ted.

Of course it works:) Post some screen shots so others can see what you did.

This is borderline off-topic; however, it can help Android MPD users more fully enjoy MPD from mR.

For those using Android MPD clients (such as MPD Control, MPDroid or Mupeace), I discovered two unusual behaviors (unusual because MPaD does not have these handicaps) that are worth noting. First, the cover image file must be alphabetically first inside a folder; I make up for this by naming my file '_cover.jpg'. Second, if you edit WAV file tags, you will likely end up with a chunk tag format (such as 'ID3v2.4.0, INFO Chunk', visible by Metadatics <Mac perspective>) which is unreadable by Android MPD clients which consequently fail to display cover art; I got around this by using an audio editor (such as iZotope RX) to export the WAV to an AIFF file, reloading with the AIFF file and exporting it to a WAV file, which has a tag format that is chunk-free (convoluted yes, but at least it works).

• 3 weeks later...
This is borderline off-topic; however, it can help Android MPD users more fully enjoy MPD from mR.

For those using Android MPD clients (such as MPD Control, MPDroid or Mupeace), I discovered two unusual behaviors (unusual because MPaD does not have these handicaps) that are worth noting. First, the cover image file must be alphabetically first inside a folder; I make up for this by naming my file '_cover.jpg'. Second, if you edit WAV file tags, you will likely end up with a chunk tag format (such as 'ID3v2.4.0, INFO Chunk', visible by Metadatics <Mac perspective>) which is unreadable by Android MPD clients which consequently fail to display cover art; I got around this by using an audio editor (such as iZotope RX) to export the WAV to an AIFF file, reloading with the AIFF file and exporting it to a WAV file, which has a tag format that is chunk-free (convoluted yes, but at least it works).

If you use FLAC you won't have these issues:)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I have a microRendu on my network that play music on my Gustard x20 DAC. I connected the microrendu to my nas and play music in MPD (i use Mpad on ipad). This is woking totally fine, except that the playback will regularly stop like someone would have press pause, always in the middle of a song. I can can restore the playback by clicking play again on Mpad or ympd.

I play mostly big files such as Flac, so i wonder if it could be link to that, maybe the cache size on the microrendu is too small ?

Hi,

I have a microRendu on my network that play music on my Gustard x20 DAC. I connected the microrendu to my nas and play music in MPD (i use Mpad on ipad). This is woking totally fine, except that the playback will regularly stop like someone would have press pause, always in the middle of a song. I can can restore the playback by clicking play again on Mpad or ympd.

I play mostly big files such as Flac, so i wonder if it could be link to that, maybe the cache size on the microrendu is too small ?

For starters you might want to clear the playlists on all the various controllers and only have one active controller at a time. Also, these apps do not work when the mobile device goes to sleep or when you change to another app.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there, I'm considering buying a Sonicorbiter SE. My intention would be to use it in Mode 3 with a Mac Mini running Kodi configured as a DNLA server. The Sonicorbiter would be connected via Ethernet to an Airport Express and so connected to my home 802.11n network, and USB output to a Hegel HD12 DAC.

My question is in this mode can I send FLAC and ALAC hi res music files to the Sonicorbiter SE as bitstream and let it do the decoding? Or do I need to decode on the Kodi server and send PCM? Given my preference for sending bitstream over my wifi network, am I better off spending more on a uRendu?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My question is in this mode can I send FLAC and ALAC hi res music files to the Sonicorbiter SE as bitstream and let it do the decoding? Or do I need to decode on the Kodi server and send PCM? Given my preference for sending bitstream over my wifi network, am I better off spending more on a uRendu?

Thanks!

yes, the sonicorbiter can handle whatever you send to it. remember that it is a renderer and doesn't do any processing -- it just receives the music file sent from the server and passes it on to your dac.

the microrendu does the same thing. the difference between the two is the advanced hardware and regen-like noise management in the microrendu.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
yes, the sonicorbiter can handle whatever you send to it. remember that it is a renderer and doesn't do any processing -- it just receives the music file sent from the server and passes it on to your dac.

the microrendu does the same thing. the difference between the two is the advanced hardware and regen-like noise management in the microrendu.

Thanks for the response! I was overthinking what it means that the Sonicorbiter 'doesn't do any processing', and whether that means no decoding either.

Can I assume that it can decode MP3 and AAC in addition to FLAC and ALAC files?