IGNORED

Sonicorbiter - DLNA/MPD Output Mode

vortecjr

Right click on the microRendu in JRiver under Playing Now. What you want to check for the gapless issue is that your settings look as follows:

<snip>

Then you want to check the DLNA setup looks as described in this thread:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f26-sonore-sponsored/sonicorbiter-digital-living-network-alliance-mpd-output-mode-27265/

Thanks for the quick reply.

JRiver is setup as you suggested, except there is a third option "Play as a Stream (not working yet)" which is also not enabled.

I checked the DLNA setup link and it seems there isn't any special setup needed. I was playing FLAC-formatted PCM only at this point.

And any idea on the difference in output vol?

JRiver is setup as you suggested, except there is a third option "Play as a Stream (not working yet)" which is also not enabled.

I checked the DLNA setup link and it seems there isn't any special setup needed. I was playing FLAC-formatted PCM only at this point.

And any idea on the difference in output vol?

Contact me and I'll have a look at the volume issue for you.

With Jesus's help I successfully setup JRiver running in Windows 10 to output to microRendu.

The missing piece is that JRiver (r.21) somehow defaults to transcode everything into 44.1khz mp3 before sending it to microRendu. This results in (a) gapless doesn't work; (b) everything resampled to 44.1khz; and © output vol is lower than direct connection.

To fix this just go to JRiver's DLNA server options "Tools->Options->Media Network->Add or configure DLNA Servers". Now make sure Audio Mode is "Original" and Format is PCM and all problems are solved.

Hope this can help others.

I have been reading a lot about the mR. Can someone confirm that the following would work:

Control point- Android Linn or Lumin App on Tablet.

Data- DNA Server ( MiniDNLA on Readynas Duo or PC with Asset)

At Stereo-- MicroRendu USB to DAC (Schiit Gumby)

It looks like Bubble Upnp would have to be enabled on the mR

Is that all I need for DLNA playback?

I have been reading a lot about the mR. Can someone confirm that the following would work:

Control point- Android Linn or Lumin App on Tablet.

Data- DNA Server ( MiniDNLA on Readynas Duo or PC with Asset)

At Stereo-- MicroRendu USB to DAC (Schiit Gumby)

It looks like Bubble Upnp would have to be enabled on the mR

Is that all I need for DLNA playback?

BubbleUPnP Server yes, then copy/make uRendu as an Open Home renderer within Bubble Server, and you're done ("BubbleUpnP" app is actually an Android control point app and confusing name with its Server brethren). Any other OpenHome control point, too.

I received the microRendu last week and been using it but a few issues have come up.

1) I have to reboot the microRendu 3 times for it to work and appear on the network. First time, it lights up, but doesn't get a network address, and it doesn't power the USB interface. Second time powering up, no lights come on. Third time, it works fine. I leave a full 2 minutes between each boot to be sure of booting up and network and usb cable remain connected. This occurred with both ifi PSU and JS-2 PSU. After the final boot, it works fine and I've left it on for while since.

2) streaming DLNA from jriver 19 issues. Putting a playlist on 'repeat' usually does not work. It just stops at the end of the list (happens about 3 in every 4 times). Tried with and without jremote with the same issue.

3) clicks and pops when manually starting and stopping tracks. This may just be a DLNA issue as I've never used DLNA before. Previously just using Jriver directly on a CAPS and I miss its nice fade outs.

The microRendu is powered by JS-2 PSU, feeding a Berkeley Alpha USB. Running DLNA from Jriver 19 on a CAPS with Jremote. microRendu originally on firmware 2.1, but updated to 2.2.

I received the microRendu last week and been using it but a few issues have come up.

1) I have to reboot the microRendu 3 times for it to work and appear on the network. First time, it lights up, but doesn't get a network address, and it doesn't power the USB interface. Second time powering up, no lights come on. Third time, it works fine. I leave a full 2 minutes between each boot to be sure of booting up and network and usb cable remain connected. This occurred with both ifi PSU and JS-2 PSU. After the final boot, it works fine and I've left it on for while since.

2) streaming DLNA from jriver 19 issues. Putting a playlist on 'repeat' usually does not work. It just stops at the end of the list (happens about 3 in every 4 times). Tried with and without jremote with the same issue.

3) clicks and pops when manually starting and stopping tracks. This may just be a DLNA issue as I've never used DLNA before. Previously just using Jriver directly on a CAPS and I miss its nice fade outs.

The microRendu is powered by JS-2 PSU, feeding a Berkeley Alpha USB. Running DLNA from Jriver 19 on a CAPS with Jremote. microRendu originally on firmware 2.1, but updated to 2.2.

1. Place the switch on the PS to the on position and then connect the DC cable to the microRendu and see if this powers up the unit. Use MySonicorbiter to find the unit and not JRiver when testing this.

2. Playlists are handled by JRiver and not the microRendu. The computer or module device can't go to sleep while handling playlists.

3. Verify JRiver settings against these:

http://www.rendu.sonore.us/Sonore-JRiver-Setup.png

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f26-sonore-sponsored/sonicorbiter-digital-living-network-alliance-mpd-output-mode-27265/

1. Yes I was using mysonicorbiter to find the unit and kept the PSU on whilst plugging the cable in and out. No big deal i guess, just may have to reboot to get it working.

2. JRiver never had any issues with playlists when playing directly without DLNA. Again, not sure if JRiver is not handling the playlist properly on DLNA. I will enquire on the Jriver forums.

3. JRiver settings were ok. Gapless playback works fine. It is more when I press stop or change tracks, I can get clicks. I used your DSD2PCM settings as my dac does not do DSD.

We have had a few customers notice that playback volume via JRiver and the microRendu in DLNA/MPD output mode was lower compared to direct playback with JRiver. We have added a feature to Apps / DAC Diagnostics that displays the units internal volume setpoint. For bit perfect playback and DoP support you need a setpoint of 100%.

Follow this upgrade procedure:

1. Go to Apps and select Software Manager

2. Now select Update

3. Wait for "Back to main menu" to appear at the bottom of the screen and ignore any Complete notices

Go to Settings / DLNA-MPD and check your configuration and press Save. Press Save even if it's the same.

Go to Apps / DAC Diagnostics and verify that you have volume at 100%.

The following are working for me:

Control point - BubbleUPnP on Android phone

Media server - Asset on Windows 10

Renderer - microRENDU (DLNA playback only requires "MPD / DLNA Renderer" be installed)

DAC - Oppo HA-2 (micro USB input)

DLNA playback - Bubble control, Asset server, microRENDU render

Stream playback - Bubble control with Local Media Server stream playlist on phone, microRENDU render

Podcast playback - Pocket Casts "Play in external player..." to Bubble on phone, microRENDU render

Between the Asset media server Ethernet and the microRENDU Ethernet is a MoCA 2.0 bonded link over 75 ohm coax. I have not experienced a single stutter.

Is there a way to look at system logs to check for possible MPD crashes? I updated my Sonicorbiter SE to the most recent 2.2 version. Today, it kept stopping every few minutes while playing a long track. I rebooted, same behavior. I then reset to MPD/DLNA with the App Switcher, and reapplied the MPD/DLNA Renderer settings. Since then, no problem, but it's a bit concerning that a device that has worked flawlessly for quite a while starts failing, and it would be good if we look at system logs to help diagnose the problem.

Is there a way to look at system logs to check for possible MPD crashes? I updated my Sonicorbiter SE to the most recent 2.2 version. Today, it kept stopping every few minutes while playing a long track. I rebooted, same behavior. I then reset to MPD/DLNA with the App Switcher, and reapplied the MPD/DLNA Renderer settings. Since then, no problem, but it's a bit concerning that a device that has worked flawlessly for quite a while starts failing, and it would be good if we look at system logs to help diagnose the problem.

We don't track the log because that app it is very stable. The app itself has not been updated. The update just adds a commend line volume feature which was always present, but not utilized.

We don't track the log because that app it is very stable. The app itself has not been updated. The update just adds a commend line volume feature which was always present, but not utilized.

Hum... There was definitely a problem until I re-saved the MPD settings, which restarted MPD.

Recently I switched DACs and installed an LH Labs Pulse SFi, in place of an iFi iDAC2.

Now I can't get DSD tracks to play anymore.

Nothing changed on the JRiver side, but in looking for the DoP vs. native DSD playback setting in Sonicorbiter, I can't find it anymore even though I remember setting it to native for the iDAC2 originally.

Either I'm losing my mind, or that setting has vanished from the DLNA/MPD settings?

Separate of that, I wonder if this DAC should be able to playback DSD natively anyway, it's very close cousin model the XFi is listed as native DSD compatible, the SFi is identical excepting it has only single ended analog output.

But the real question for me is where that DLNA/MPD Sonicorbiter DSD setting went?

Here are the DAC Diagnostics during the failed DSD playback, nothing more than pops clicks and static, can this support native DSD through the microRendu?

DAC description: Geek Pulse S fi 1V5 2522:0009

Diagnostic information for this DAC

LH Labs Geek Pulse S fi 1V5 at usb-ci_hdrc.1-1.1, high speed : USB Audio

Playback:

Interface = 1

Altset = 1

Packet Size = 228

Momentary freq = 176398 Hz (0x16.0cc0)

Feedback Format = 16.16

Interface 1

Altset 1

Format: S32_LE

Channels: 2

Endpoint: 1 OUT (ASYNC)

Rates: 44100, 48000, 88200, 96000, 176400, 192000, 352800, 384000

Data packet interval: 125 us

Interface 1

Altset 2

Format: SPECIAL DSD_U32_BE

Channels: 2

Endpoint: 1 OUT (ASYNC)

Rates: 44100, 48000, 88200, 96000, 176400, 192000, 352800, 384000

Data packet interval: 125 usaccess: RW_INTERLEAVED

format: S32_LE

subformat: STD

channels: 2

rate: 176400 (176400/1)

period_size: 22050

buffer_size: 88200Simple mixer control 'LH Labs Clock Selector',0

Capabilities: pvolume pswitch

Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right

Limits: Playback 0 - 127

Mono:

Front Left: Playback 127 [100%] [0.00dB] [on]

Front Right: Playback 127 [100%] [0.00dB] [on]

Simple mixer control 'LH Labs Clock Selector',1

Capabilities: pvolume pvolume-joined pswitch pswitch-joined

Playback channels: Mono

Limits: Playback 0 - 127

Mono: Playback 127 [100%] [0.00dB] [on]

no-mqa-sm.jpg

Boycott HDtracks

Boycott Lenbrook

Boycott Warner Music Group

Recently I switched DACs and installed an LH Labs Pulse SFi, in place of an iFi iDAC2.

Now I can't get DSD tracks to play anymore.

Nothing changed on the JRiver side, but in looking for the DoP vs. native DSD playback setting in Sonicorbiter, I can't find it anymore even though I remember setting it to native for the iDAC2 originally.

Either I'm losing my mind, or that setting has vanished from the DLNA/MPD settings?

Separate of that, I wonder if this DAC should be able to playback DSD natively anyway, it's very close cousin model the XFi is listed as native DSD compatible, the SFi is identical excepting it has only single ended analog output.

But the real question for me is where that DLNA/MPD Sonicorbiter DSD setting went?

Here are the DAC Diagnostics during the failed DSD playback, nothing more than pops clicks and static, can this support native DSD through the microRendu?

That device should support native DSD and DoP streaming, but it can depend on the devices firmware. In Settings / MPD-DLNA you can select between DSD and DoP output for that output mode. For the rate shown in your log it looks like you were sending DSD64 via DoP.

• 2 weeks later...
Where I can find an installation manual for microRednu ?

I'm having difficoulties with making it work with Jriver.

Hi Elberoth, did you make it work?

Just wondering if you consider the microrendu solution better sounding than caps+jcat card, we have a similar setup, and for me it's hard to change it as I'm using dirac software.

• 3 months later...

I just resubscribed to Tidal, and am having difficulty setting up to stream to my microRendu through the DLNA mode. I have BubbleUPNP set up as OpenHome, and the Tidal check box is checked. But I'm not seeing Tidal as a tile option in Linn Kazoo on my iPad - which is what Linn's website seems to say should be happening. The only thing I'm seeing in settings that's suspicious is the BubbleUPNP internet connectivity test keeps coming up with errors. I guess this means it's having trouble accessing the internet? Is this the reason Tidal isn't working - the microRendu isn't connecting to the internet?

If this is indeed the issue. How do I resolve it? I'm not sure which settings or situations to troubleshoot. MicroRendu is ethernet connected to my router, and all other devices on my network are having no issues connecting to internet.

I just resubscribed to Tidal, and am having difficulty setting up to stream to my microRendu through the DLNA mode. I have BubbleUPNP set up as OpenHome, and the Tidal check box is checked. But I'm not seeing Tidal as a tile option in Linn Kazoo on my iPad - which is what Linn's website seems to say should be happening. The only thing I'm seeing in settings that's suspicious is the BubbleUPNP internet connectivity test keeps coming up with errors. I guess this means it's having trouble accessing the internet? Is this the reason Tidal isn't working - the microRendu isn't connecting to the internet?

If this is indeed the issue. How do I resolve it? I'm not sure which settings or situations to troubleshoot. MicroRendu is ethernet connected to my router, and all other devices on my network are having no issues connecting to internet.

Make sure linn app is set to see the open home version of the uRendu you created. It's at the top of linn app. Click on it.

Sent from my iPad using Computer Audiophile

Hmmm. Is open home on the mRendu? Maybe try rebooting. My linn and lumin apps lose the OH renderer version of uRendu occasionally, and it just mysteriously resolves itself after I shut down DAC, uRendu and start them again. The connectivity test on BubbleUpnP OH app fails all the time for me. I think it's unrelated but I know very little about computers.

Hmmm. Is open home on the mRendu? Maybe try rebooting. My linn and lumin apps lose the OH renderer version of uRendu occasionally, and it just mysteriously resolves itself after I shut down DAC, uRendu and start them again. The connectivity test on BubbleUpnP OH app fails all the time for me. I think it's unrelated but I know very little about computers.

I'm pretty sure OpenHome is operational, or I don't think I'd be able to use the Linn app at all. I'm pretty sure Linn app only works through the OpenHome functionality on the BubbleUPNP app. My Synology NAS is definitely listed as a server on OpenHome, and I'm playing music from the NAS as we speak - controlled by the Linn app.

Thanks for giving it a shot.