IGNORED

Sonicorbiter - DLNA/MPD Output Mode

vortecjr

Your cisco is a so-called smart switch. Check its config as there is something there throttling the network port.

You are right! As Jesus suggested in another post I connected my uR and computer to ethernet ports on my router and my dropouts in DLNA went away. As you suggested I looked at the switch configuration and saw nothing I thought needed changing, but.... I am a total network noob. Whenever I do anything with networking I google it and find instructions to get the job done.

When I setup the SG200-26 I left everything default except:

changed access password

set the internal clock to current time

enabled link link aggregation for ports for 2 NAS

I would think a SG200 in default configuration should do as well with DLNA as the dumb switch equivalent I was using with the ethernet ports on my router.

I am hoping someone can give me some suggestions of what specify to look for in the SG200-26 configuration.

Thanks!

You are right! As Jesus suggested in another post I connected my uR and computer to ethernet ports on my router and my dropouts in DLNA went away. As you suggested I looked at the switch configuration and saw nothing I thought needed changing, but.... I am a total network noob. Whenever I do anything with networking I google it and find instructions to get the job done.

When I setup the SG200-26 I left everything default except:

changed access password

set the internal clock to current time

enabled link link aggregation for ports for 2 NAS

I would think a SG200 in default configuration should do as well with DLNA as the dumb switch equivalent I was using with the ethernet ports on my router.

I am hoping someone can give me some suggestions of what specify to look for in the SG200-26 configuration.

Thanks!

In general, why did you buy a managed switch and spend the extra money when an unmanaged switch would have done the job fine? Just trying to understand.

As to where things are going wrong, here are some possibilities:

- some network ports could be throttled. You can set speed on each port. If it is set to for example 10MBit, you'll get the dropouts you experience.

- Perhaps you have QoS on (Quality of Service) and DLNA traffic (http or audio/video) has been deprioritised.

You could post screen shots of your settings here (blank out IPs, usernames and passwords), but probably this is the time to read up on that manual.

Synology DS214+ with MinimServer --> Ethernet --> Sonore mRendu / SOtM SMS-200 --> Chord Hugo --> Chord interconnects --> Naim NAP 200--> Chord speaker cable --> Focal Aria 948

In general, why did you buy a managed switch and spend the extra money when an unmanaged switch would have done the job fine? Just trying to understand.

- some network ports could be throttled. You can set speed on each port. If it is set to for example 10MBit, you'll get the dropouts you experience.

- Perhaps you have QoS on (Quality of Service) and DLNA traffic (http or audio/video) has been deprioritised.

You could post screen shots of your settings here (blank out IPs, usernames and passwords), but probably this is the time to read up on that manual.

Most unmanaged switches don't allow you to turn off IGMP Snooping, something that is recommended by MiniMserver whenever there are connectivity issues.

Cheers,

I have successfully tested DLNA mode using the µRendu and JRiver/JRemote. It works perfectly!

Screen Shot 2016-05-25 at 10.01.34 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-05-25 at 10.01.58 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-05-25 at 10.04.51 PM.png

I should also mention that you're able to switch between this and Roon Ready instantly and it actually works. Impressive Jesus. Very impressive.

I'm going to a G2G so this is what I'm going to use instead of Roon since it takes a while to load Roon from the start.

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

I have successfully tested DLNA mode using the µRendu and JRiver/JRemote. It works perfectly!

Hi, did you notice how Jriver behaves during track changes? I had some experience with upmpdcli and noticed that Jriver / Jremote progress bar stucks at zero for several seconds during track change - as well as track info with cover art. It was very annoying. I'm curious whether Sonicorbiter software solved this issue.

Hi, did you notice how Jriver behaves during track changes? I had some experience with upmpdcli and noticed that Jriver / Jremote progress bar stucks at zero for several seconds during track change - as well as track info with cover art. It was very annoying. I'm curious whether Sonicorbiter software solved this issue.

Welcome to CA!

I didn't notice any of those issues. I had JRiver running on my MacBook Air and JRemote on my iPad Pro.

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

Valid question, in general:

I saw the managed switch as more future proof than an unmanaged switch. Way too many times I bought a computer gizmo that satisfied my current and anticipated needs only to have some unanticipated need or desire makeme have to replace that gizmo with a larger or more capable version of that gizmo.

I came across a really good deal on the SG-200-26 so the price difference over a good unmanaged switch fell within my comfort range.

Further, I figured any smart feature that was currently unneeded or caused a problem could be disabled.

Prior to asking for help here I did read up in the manual which, unfortunately, was in a language foreign to me, network speak. I was able to work through much of it but saw no reference to DLNA or anything else I thought related to DLNA in the manual or switch configuration pages.

I see no difference in my dropout whether QoS is enabled or disabled.

All port report operating at the maximum speed of the attached device.

I am not sure what screens shots might be helpful so I will start with the configuration page for my uR port, all other port configuration are similar since settings are defaults.

2016-05-26 09_55_05-Edit Port Setting.jpg

Most unmanaged switches don't allow you to turn off IGMP Snooping, something that is recommended by MiniMserver whenever there are connectivity issues.

Cheers,

An unmanaged switch is nothing more than a simple pass through at maximum speed. There is no IGMP or QoS on an unmanaged switch. The broadcast goes to all ports and multicast is not in effect. So, if you want to make sure MinimServer works, get an unmanaged switch :-)

Synology DS214+ with MinimServer --> Ethernet --> Sonore mRendu / SOtM SMS-200 --> Chord Hugo --> Chord interconnects --> Naim NAP 200--> Chord speaker cable --> Focal Aria 948

An unmanaged switch is nothing more than a simple pass through at maximum speed. There is no IGMP or QoS on an unmanaged switch. The broadcast goes to all ports and multicast is not in effect. So, if you want to make sure MinimServer works, get an unmanaged switch :-)

Hi,

Thanks for pointing this out much more clearly: as I knew that IGMP snooping was able to be shut off on our/my router, and also that it was a function of switches, - I didn't really put two and two together with unmanaged vs managed switches.

Thanks for setting this straight.

Cheers,

• 2 weeks later...
This setup should work. By any chance is Roon running on this machine as well? You may also want to rule out the switch by connecting things directly to your router.

As you suggested Iconnected my computer and microRendu to the router and my dropoutswent away. Pepsican offered some likely causes of my switchthrottling throughput but none were the cause of my problem. I havenow reconnected my computer to the switch (with my microRendu stillattached to router) and still have no dropouts. In my simplistic viewof what is going on is that the router is providing some type ofisolation between the microRendu and the Cisco switch. I would verymuch like to get the router out of the signal path.

I just got an iFi nano iDSD to test native DSD streaming with the mrendu (my main system uses a Simaudio DAC for which the mrendu allows only DSD64 and DSD128 streaming in DOP mode). The mrendu/iFi nano iDSD sounds great. However, when setting mrendu to DLNA mode and activating native DSD, I can hear noticeable "clicks" when resuming playback after a pause, or seeking into a track. Those glitches are much less pronounced with the mrendu set to stream in DOP, but are nevertheless present.

I repeated the same hearing tests, this time streaming with the nano iDSD fed from the foobar200 foo_upnp renderer running on a WIN10 PC with the latest iFI USB driver running in ASIO mode. No ticks are heard this time.

Has anybody experienced those ticks when playing to nano iDSD from the microrendu ? Could this be due to differences between the windows ASIO driver and the linux driver used by the mrendu ?

All tests were done using minimserver as the music server, and BubbleUPnP as the control point.

I just got an iFi nano iDSD to test native DSD streaming with the mrendu (my main system uses a Simaudio DAC for which the mrendu allows only DSD64 and DSD128 streaming in DOP mode). The mrendu/iFi nano iDSD sounds great. However, when setting mrendu to DLNA mode and activating native DSD, I can hear noticeable "clicks" when resuming playback after a pause, or seeking into a track. Those glitches are much less pronounced with the mrendu set to stream in DOP, but are nevertheless present.

I repeated the same hearing tests, this time streaming with the nano iDSD fed from the foobar200 foo_upnp renderer running on a WIN10 PC with the latest iFI USB driver running in ASIO mode. No ticks are heard this time.

Has anybody experienced those ticks when playing to nano iDSD from the microrendu ? Could this be due to differences between the windows ASIO driver and the linux driver used by the mrendu ?

All tests were done using minimserver as the music server, and BubbleUPnP as the control point.

Are the clicks coming through the speakers or from the DAC? Depending upon the format my DAC is ready for, it will make a clicking sound when it changing formats.

Make sure the iFi has the latest firmware (5.2). It seems to click less than earlier versions.

How do you check what is the current firmware version on Windows ? I cannot figure this out, and I do not want to risk bricking by unit by attempting a non-necessary update.

Go to the iFi website and look in Support / Downloads for your device. You need a software application for your computer and the firmware of choice.

iFi Audio

Go to the iFi website and look in Support / Downloads for your device. You need a software application for your computer and the firmware of choice.

iFi Audio

I fully understand that. I simply asked for a way to to query the version of the firmware currently installed on my nano iDSD, before attempting any (possily unneeded ?) update and running the risk to brick my device. I just cannot see how, and the iFi website is mute about that : it tells about how to get this info when running on Mac, but not on Windows.

Also, I mentioned in my original post that the problem with ticks does not show up if streaming using Foobar 2000 / foo_upnp with the iFi supplied ASIO driver. This is with the same nano iDSD device, thus with the same firmware. Could it be that a firmware update impact the mrendu linux driver in a specific way ?

I remember a quote where you mentioned that you were using the nano yourself. Would it be possible for you to check if this problem occurs for you ?

Thanks for your help.

I fully understand that. I simply asked for a way to to query the version of the firmware currently installed on my nano iDSD, before attempting any (possily unneeded ?) update and running the risk to brick my device. I just cannot see how, and the iFi website is mute about that : it tells about how to get this info when running on Mac, but not on Windows.

Also, I mentioned in my original post that the problem with ticks does not show up if streaming using Foobar 2000 / foo_upnp with the iFi supplied ASIO driver. This is with the same nano iDSD device, thus with the same firmware. Could it be that a firmware update impact the mrendu linux driver in a specific way ?

I remember a quote where you mentioned that you were using the nano yourself. Would it be possible for you to check if this problem occurs for you ?

Thanks for your help.

The software that installs the update tells you the current version. Installing the update is up to you. What happens in Windows with Foobar2000 is not relevant on our operating system. The firmware update does not affected support of this unit.

The software that installs the update tells you the current version. Installing the update is up to you. What happens in Windows with Foobar2000 is not relevant on our operating system. The firmware update does not affected support of this unit.
I did update the iFi nanoiDSD firmware version, which went from 5.0 to 5.2. With the mrendu in DLNA mode set to DOP, DSD64/128 now plays without any ticks. However, when enabling native DSD on the mrendu, ticks are still present when resuming after a pause, seeking inside a track, or switching to next/previous track. It even seems worst than before.

On Windows (using foobar2000 renderer and the iFI ASIO driver) with the same nano device, no glitches at all.

This is somewhat disappointing. Are we facing a firmware problem, or an issue with the mrendu linux driver ? Any idea ?

Many thanks to those who provided help.

• 3 weeks later...

Where I can find an installation manual for microRednu ?

I'm having difficoulties with making it work with Jriver.

But to the point:

I have connected everything. I can see the uR on the network. The uR sees the DAC.

I have successfully launched the http://sonicorbiter.com/ software.

I went to apps, and had chosen the DLNA renderer option.

How to make the Jriver see the uR ? I thought it may show up on the Jremote as another zone (just like my Naim UnityQute and Panasonic TV do), but it doesn't.

Adam

PC: custom Roon server with Pink Faun Ultra OCXO USB card

Digital: Lampizator Horizon DAC

Amp: Dan D'Agostino Momentum Stereo

Speakers: Magcio M3

Elberoth,

On the APPS tab, have you gone into the Switch app and turned ON the DLNA option?

M

No - I somehow assumed that clicking on the DLNA app switches it on. Silly me.

Thx !

Adam

PC: custom Roon server with Pink Faun Ultra OCXO USB card

Digital: Lampizator Horizon DAC

Amp: Dan D'Agostino Momentum Stereo

Speakers: Magcio M3

Hi All,

I just received my microrendu and the setup is straightforward, worked the first time. My setup consists of JRiver on Win10, hence using DLNA to play through the microrendu. DAC is Lampizator with Amanero USB interface.

I have two operational questions hoping members can help. My apology if they have been answered before.

First, gapless playback does not work. The gap is small but it is still there. Do I need to configure anything at the JRiver end? Note that the Audio configuration does not show for DLNA device so not sure where to configure it.

Second, the audio output via the microRendu seems to be at a lower level compared to connecting the DAC to the PC directly. I wonder if this is normal and if there is any way to configure it?

Thanks!

Hi All,

I just received my microrendu and the setup is straightforward, worked the first time. My setup consists of JRiver on Win10, hence using DLNA to play through the microrendu. DAC is Lampizator with Amanero USB interface.

I have two operational questions hoping members can help. My apology if they have been answered before.

First, gapless playback does not work. The gap is small but it is still there. Do I need to configure anything at the JRiver end? Note that the Audio configuration does not show for DLNA device so not sure where to configure it.

Second, the audio output via the microRendu seems to be at a lower level compared to connecting the DAC to the PC directly. I wonder if this is normal and if there is any way to configure it?

Thanks!

Right click on the microRendu in JRiver under Playing Now. What you want to check for the gapless issue is that your settings look as follows:

Screen Shot 2016-07-04 at 8.48.17 AM.png

Then you want to check the DLNA setup looks as described in this thread:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f26-sonore-sponsored/sonicorbiter-digital-living-network-alliance-mpd-output-mode-27265/