IGNORED

Sonicorbiter - DLNA/MPD Output Mode

vortecjr

This thread is intended to be a supplement to the Sonore Rendu series user manuals. The manuals contain quick start information that can be viewed here:

Sonicorbiter Rendu Series - User Manuals

The DLNA/MPD output mode is two outputs (UPnP and MPD) working in conjunction at the same time.

Screen Shot 2016-11-18 at 5.33.11 PM.png

1. The UPnP output mode works with DLNA/UPnP servers and controllers. DLNA/UPnP servers run on your computer (PC or Mac) or on a NAS serving up your content to the unit for playback.

This is a list of the popular DLNA/UPnP servers:
MinimServer and Logitech Media Server on a Small Green Computer sonicTransporter

DiskStation on a Synology NAS - synology

JRiver on your computer (PC or Mac) - JRiver

MinimServer on your computer (PC or Mac) or your NAS - MinimServer

Logitech Media Server on your computer (PC or Mac) or your NAS - LMS

You can control playback via DLNA/UPNP controllers running on your computer (PC or Mac) or via one of the popular Apps on your mobile device.

This is a list of the popular control Apps for use on your computer (PC or Mac) or mobile device:

Audirvana Plus - choose Compatibility Mode in Settings / MPD DLNA

JRiver on your computer (PC or Mac) - choose Compatibility Mode in Settings / MPD DLNA

JRemote on your mobile device - choose Compatibility Mode in Settings / MPD DLNA

BubbleUPNP on Android - recommenced 

mConnect Player on your mobile device - recommended

AudioNet on iOS - choose Compatibility mode in Settings / MPD DLNA

Lumin iOS and Android - choose Compatibility Mode in Settings / MPD DLNA

Linn Kazoo on your computer (PC or Mac or mobile device) - not recommended 

These are some setup tips for DLNA on JRiver:

Rendu JRiver setup with DoP

Rendu JRiver setup with native DSD

Rendu JRiver setup with DSD2PCM conversion

Rendu MinimServer setup native DSD

Rendu MinimServer setup with DoP

2. The MPD output mode works with local storage made available via the unit's Drive Mounter application. The Drive Mounter application is installed via the Software Manager. The Drive Mounter application mounts USB drives (Sonicorbiter SE only) and remote SMB shares so that the mounted content can be played by MPD.

MPD is best controlled by Apps on mobile devices:

MPaD and MPoD on iOS*

MPDroid on Android*

*In order for the mobile controllers to function with MPD the controller most initiate MPD to scan the local drive for content and also cache the indexed content along with its cover art into memory. This process takes time and is a function of the size of the library. This process must be initiated every time new music is added to the library.

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks Jesus. What about Mac HFS+ and NTFS? Btw, I ordered a unit a few days ago. I don't expect to use MPD (I currently run LMS, minimserver and JRMC so no shortage of choices) but I'm curious about it and it could come in handy.

HFS+ yes, but I'm not sure about NTSF. Your right...it comes in handy.

Jesus R

• 1 month later...

Hello

Is there anyway to use cover art with MPDroid on Android. I have followed the directions they do not work. I want my folder.jpg covers on the sonicorbiter to transfer. MPDroid on Android works great with mpd files on my mounted drive but I want art like orange Squeeze and LMS. Has anyone been able to transfer the art work. Than you

Nick

Hello

Is there anyway to use cover art with MPDroid on Android. I have followed the directions they do not work. I want my folder.jpg covers on the sonicorbiter to transfer. MPDroid on Android works great with mpd files on my mounted drive but I want art like orange Squeeze and LMS. Has anyone been able to transfer the art work. Than you

Nick

I'm using MPoD and it working fine. All your content needs to be in /storage/music/flac regardless of the format type. Also, the cover art has to be in the folder with the content and named Folder.jpg. Caps matter.

• 2 weeks later...

I am having trouble understanding whether I could use SOSE instead of my PC?

According to what I've read online my understanding is:

I can plug my external hard drive into the SOSE via USB. I can plug my DAC into the SOSE via USB. I have an iPad so I can control the SOSE from that. The question is how do I do that? Does the SOSE need a permanent connection to the Internet? Can I use a USB Wifi dongle to do that or does it have to be a router or hard wired network connection? Sorry to be a bit thick when it comes to all the lingo but my excuse is I'm old and not a computer whiz!

I am having trouble understanding whether I could use SOSE instead of my PC?

According to what I've read online my understanding is:

I can plug my external hard drive into the SOSE via USB. I can plug my DAC into the SOSE via USB. I have an iPad so I can control the SOSE from that. The question is how do I do that? Does the SOSE need a permanent connection to the Internet? Can I use a USB Wifi dongle to do that or does it have to be a router or hard wired network connection? Sorry to be a bit thick when it comes to all the lingo but my excuse is I'm old and not a computer whiz!

That configuration may be a bad place for you to start. I recommend that load JRiver or Roon on your computer and connect the USB drive to that. Then use Jriver or Roon to stream to the unit. You need to connect the unit to the router.

With the MircoRendu in DLNA mode and using a NAS running Minimserver (and BubbleUPnP on an Android device), where is the FLAC decoding taking place? Is it important or will it make a difference to keep that process off the MicroRendu?

In this setup the microRendu is a renderer and it using MPD for playback. The microRendu can do this with easy and you don't need to worry about it at all.

That configuration may be a bad place for you to start. I recommend that load JRiver or Roon on your computer and connect the USB drive to that. Then use Jriver or Roon to stream to the unit. You need to connect the unit to the router.

My current setup is just that. Hard drive connected to laptop running JRiver via USB then out to Auralic Vega via USB. I'd like to remove the laptop and I'm not interested in streaming. I just want a small form headless PC to replace the laptop and can't seem to find the right alternative.

My current setup is just that. Hard drive connected to laptop running JRiver via USB then out to Auralic Vega via USB. I'd like to remove the laptop and I'm not interested in streaming. I just want a small form headless PC to replace the laptop and can't seem to find the right alternative.

Have a look at this:

sonicTransporter – Small Green Computer

• 3 weeks later...

Can get internet radio to play using minimserver and uR/mpd/dlna mode. I had m3u playlist as per minimserver instructions and so far it used to work fine with the Jplay streamer mode (open home renderer). Do I have to configure something else or do any thing especial ?

Can get internet radio to play using minimserver and uR/mpd/dlna mode. I had m3u playlist as per minimserver instructions and so far it used to work fine with the Jplay streamer mode (open home renderer). Do I have to configure something else or do any thing especial ?

You enabled Bubble settings on mRendu?

Synology DS214+ with MinimServer --> Ethernet --> Sonore mRendu / SOtM SMS-200 --> Chord Hugo --> Chord interconnects --> Naim NAP 200--> Chord speaker cable --> Focal Aria 948

what setting ? could you elaborate ?

The mRendu has BubbleServer installed on it as well. I'm wondering whether you have it enabled or not. If not, then open home does not work and you just get plain vanilla DNLA/UPnP.

Come to think of it, what control point do you use?

Synology DS214+ with MinimServer --> Ethernet --> Sonore mRendu / SOtM SMS-200 --> Chord Hugo --> Chord interconnects --> Naim NAP 200--> Chord speaker cable --> Focal Aria 948

The mRendu has BubbleServer installed on it as well. I'm wondering whether you have it enabled or not. If not, then open home does not work and you just get plain vanilla DNLA/UPnP.

Come to think of it, what control do you use?

I installed Bubble upnp server where minim server is running (a small home server). Without it I can't get my Linn/Kazoo to see uRendu.

Anyone with the same problem might want to look at there minimserver/system/properties. I had trans-coding mp3/aac to wav24 enabled. After removing the trans-coding it seems to work fine. Thanks to Jesus for experimenting it out.