IGNORED

Sonicorbiter - SqueezeLite output mode

vortecjr

HumanMedia:

Yes, I think my Benchmark DAC2 probably handles PCM better than DSD. I was wondering if any other users of this DAC have noticed the same difference as I seem to have.

Best regards,

Guido F.

For my system details, please see my profile. Thank you.

Sorry for the 24/96, Jesus. That was a mistake.

What is happening is that if I send the DAC a file already converted to DoP (in Foobar), the DAC shows that it's playing a DSD track. If I send a native DSD track (unconverted to DoP) the DAC shows that is playing a 24/176.4. Yes, that means that it (or LMS) is downsampling the DSD to PCM (I think).

The surprising thing is that the 24/176.4 down sampled track sounds better to me than the DoP.

Sounds like it is down sampling. One thing to check is if they are both at the same output level.

Sounds like it is down sampling. One thing to check is if they are both at the same output level.

Thanks for pointing this out. The DSD playing as 24/176.4 is indeed playing at a lower output level than the DoP.

For my system details, please see my profile. Thank you.

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I have a problem trying to play DSD transcoded to PCM to Bryston BDA2 DAC via Squeezelite mode in Sonore Microrendu 2.3. It simply doesn't play and the reason is obvious - DAC doesn't support sampling rates higher than 192000k. If I use squeezelite directly on some linux pc I can simply disable DSD codec using -c switch and use server side decoding with DSDPlayer LMS plugin. But I can't provide command line switches on Sonicorbiter at all. Is it possible to provide some additional checkbox for Squeezelite settings page to disable DSD codec? Or simply a textbox with all available codecs and allow to edit it?

Regards,

Vladimir

Hi,

I have a problem trying to play DSD transcoded to PCM to Bryston BDA2 DAC via Squeezelite mode in Sonore Microrendu 2.3. It simply doesn't play and the reason is obvious - DAC doesn't support sampling rates higher than 192000k. If I use squeezelite directly on some linux pc I can simply disable DSD codec using -c switch and use server side decoding with DSDPlayer LMS plugin. But I can't provide command line switches on Sonicorbiter at all. Is it possible to provide some additional checkbox for Squeezelite settings page to disable DSD codec? Or simply a textbox with all available codecs and allow to edit it?

Regards,

Vladimir

What version of LMS are you using? Have you tried DoP which should work with DSD64?

What version of LMS are you using? Have you tried DoP which should work with DSD64?

Hi Jesus,

I use LMS 7.9.0 and have DSDPlayer plugin installed. I can't use DoP because my DAC doesn't support DSD. I need conversion to PCM. So my DSD support setting for Squeezelite mode is None. But this doesn't enable DSDPlayer plugin - it still outputs "This player supports native playback of DSD files" message. The only way to enable DSDPLayer is to disable DSD codec in squeezelite.

Hi Jesus,

I use LMS 7.9.0 and have DSDPlayer plugin installed. I can't use DoP because my DAC doesn't support DSD. I need conversion to PCM. So my DSD support setting for Squeezelite mode is None. But this doesn't enable DSDPlayer plugin - it still outputs "This player supports native playback of DSD files" message. The only way to enable DSDPLayer is to disable DSD codec in squeezelite.

I tried it here with LMS 7.9 and it works fine down sampling to the highest PCM rate my DAC supports. I have the microRendu set to DSD = none in Settings and I'm using a Sonicorbiter i5 as the server running LMS. I'm using the PlayDSD plug-in from Daphile/Triode. I'll try it without any plugin next. DSD = none in Settings should invoke down sampling to the highest PCM rate your DAC supports.

I tried it here with LMS 7.9 and it works fine down sampling to the highest PCM rate my DAC supports. I have the microRendu set to DSD = none in Settings and I'm using a Sonicorbiter i5 as the server running LMS. I'm not using a DSD plug-in though because LMS 7.9 supports DSD as is. DSD = none in Settings should invoke down sampling to the highest PCM rate your DAC supports.

Uninstalled plugin but result is the same - silence on trying to play DSD. DAC even doesn't indicate that playback is started. DAC diagnostic page confirms that. Is there any way to see squeezelite log?

I also tried this setup with Oppo HA-2 portable DAC and it is working flawlessly in all modes - None, Dop, Native. The issue is only with BDA-2 and I guess that squeezelite doesn't determine highest sampling rate correctly.

I would be interested is seeing the data from Apps / DAC Diagnostics. Post it here.

I would be interested is seeing the data from Apps / DAC Diagnostics. Post it here.

Bryston Bryston USB Audio 2.0 at usb-ci_hdrc.1-1.1, high speed : USB Audio

Playback:

Interface 1

Altset 1

Format: S32_LE

Channels: 2

Endpoint: 1 OUT (ASYNC)

Rates: 44100, 48000, 88200, 96000, 176400, 192000

Data packet interval: 125 us

Bryston Bryston USB Audio 2.0 at usb-ci_hdrc.1-1.1, high speed : USB Audio

Playback:

Interface 1

Altset 1

Format: S32_LE

Channels: 2

Endpoint: 1 OUT (ASYNC)

Rates: 44100, 48000, 88200, 96000, 176400, 192000

Data packet interval: 125 us

Nothing fancy there. What is throwing me off is one device works and one does not. From LMS Settings send me the DSF and DFF configuration in Advanced / File types / File Formats. In my previous email, I meant to say that I did not have the DSDplayer plug-in enabled. However, PlayDSD from Daphile/Triode is enabled. I'll fix the post above for clarity.

Nothing fancy there. What is throwing me off is one device works and one does not. From LMS Settings send me the DSF and DFF configuration in Advanced / File types / File Formats. In my previous email, I meant to say that I did not have the DSDplayer plug-in enabled. However, PlayDSD from Daphile/Triode is enabled. I'll fix the post above for clarity.

I just tried it with PlayDSD plug-in from Daphile/Triode and was able to down sample to the highest rate of my DAC and get proper playback. I also tried it without any plug-in and was able to down sample to the highest rate of my DAC and get proper playback. It works both ways for me which is what I expected because LMS supports native DSD streaming to SqueezeLite and SqueezeLite supports none, DoP and native DSD.

Here is it (without DSDPlayer)

Screen Shot 2016-10-30 at 15.43.53.png

DSDPlayer by Triode is single DSD related plugin in official repositories. PlayDSD was its initial version authored by Triode too in 2014 and it was available in development repository. Do you really want me to find it somewhere?

No need. Im running it here without either plug-in enabled and it's working fine. What rate DSD are you trying? Are you getting regular PCM playback?

No need. Im running it here without either plug-in enabled and it's working fine. What rate DSD are you trying? Are you getting regular PCM playback?

I'm trying to play DSD64 and have no problems with PCM on microrendu. I also have no problems with playing DSD converted to PCM through manually configured Squeezelite instance on Odroid C2 - I simply disable DSD codec via -c command line switch and have DSDPlayer converting DSD on server. So I think there are two problems with Sonicorbiter for me:

1. I cannot see Squeezelite log - it's really hard to figure out the problem without log.

2. I cannot provide additional command line switches to Squeezelite.

I'm trying to play DSD64 and have no problems with PCM on microrendu. I also have no problems with playing DSD converted to PCM through manually configured Squeezelite instance on Odroid C2 - I simply disable DSD codec via -c command line switch and have DSDPlayer converting DSD on server. So I think there are two problems with Sonicorbiter for me:

1. I cannot see Squeezelite log - it's really hard to figure out the problem without log.

2. I cannot provide additional command line switches to Squeezelite.

I'll look into it. For now you can use this software to convert the files to FLAC: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f26-sonore-sponsored/sonore-apps-dsd2flac-30362/

Hi vortecjr,

I've found one more issue with Squeezlite settings page - it seems that Period Count setting is ignored. For example, when I set Buffer Size to 480ms and Period Count to 4, DAC diagnostics shows period_size: 10584 and buffer_size: 21168. This corresponds to 2 as period count - not 4. And every other setting for period count is ignored too - DAC diagnostics always shows 2. Is it possible to fix this in next firmware version?

Hi vortecjr,

I've found one more issue with Squeezlite settings page - it seems that Period Count setting is ignored. For example, when I set Buffer Size to 480ms and Period Count to 4, DAC diagnostics shows period_size: 10584 and buffer_size: 21168. This corresponds to 2 as period count - not 4. And every other setting for period count is ignored too - DAC diagnostics always shows 2. Is it possible to fix this in next firmware version?

Those settings are best left alone with their default values. Yes, we can look at the configuration page again fix things as needed.