IGNORED

Sonicorbiter - SqueezeLite output mode

vortecjr

Someone was asking a while back on the microRendu general thread about the sound quality of Squeezelite mode vs. others. For reasons I won't bore you with, I've had the time and dissatisfaction and foolishness to test this idea with the same songs over and over. The executive summary is on my system, the Logitech Media Server (LMS) and Squeezelite mode are notably superior to the MPD/DLNA with MinimServer. So much so I just deleted MinimServer and hope to god I never have to go thru that hassle of installing and setting it up again.

I run LMS on my Audiophile Jukebox and Squeezelite on my microRendu, controlled by iPeng on my iPad. Everything works perfectly. I find the sound to be better than with MPD mode. However, all the discussion about Roon makes me wonder how it would compare to Squeezelite for sound quality. Has anyone tried the comparison?

SonicTransporter i9 > EtherRegen (optical out) > LUMIN P1 > LUMIN Amp > YG Kipod Signature Passive speakers.

Hi~

I received my microrendu yesterday and had a brief test with it, Setting up was a breeze and it was

up and running in just few mins~ I am currently using 180 mind as a streamer and compared with it

microrendu definetely had more clear/black background and more fuller sounds with details,

it's still early to tell but my feelings are very posiive.

I am currently using the squeezelite mode(LMS on synology NAS) connceted to Mytek Manhattan

and pcm files plays without a hitch upto 192, but it seems to have problem playing dsd files.

I did all the setup according to the instruction and also checked the dsd dop option on the microrendu's squeezelite option

but dsd files does not seem to play..(it plays on the ipad control point but no lock/sound)

The files that I tried are all dsd128 and I think I read somewhere back in this thread that mytek's linux driver currently

supports only upto dsd 64 via dop and I think this might be the case and I plan to try dsd64 files tonight,

but can someone confirm on this as I was hoping to use microrendu to replace my mac for playing dsd contents.

Hi~

I received my microrendu yesterday and had a brief test with it, Setting up was a breeze and it was

up and running in just few mins~ I am currently using 180 mind as a streamer and compared with it

microrendu definetely had more clear/black background and more fuller sounds with details,

I am currently using the squeezelite mode(LMS on synology NAS) connceted to Mytek Manhattan

and pcm files plays without a hitch upto 192, but it seems to have problem playing dsd files.

I did all the setup according to the instruction and also checked the dsd dop option on the microrendu's squeezelite option

but dsd files does not seem to play..(it plays on the ipad control point but no lock/sound)

The files that I tried are all dsd128 and I think I read somewhere back in this thread that mytek's linux driver currently

supports only upto dsd 64 via dop and I think this might be the case and I plan to try dsd64 files tonight,

but can someone confirm on this as I was hoping to use microrendu to replace my mac for playing dsd contents.

Is your LMS 7.9? Have you enabled the DSD plugin (DSDPlayer) in LMS?

yes LMS is 7.9 and have enabled the dsd plugin in LMS, I am browsing the LMS thread to see if I had done something wrong with the setup

Then your dsd64 find is probably it, as every thing else seem correct. I use a microRendu with squeezelite and LMS myself. I am not using DSD as I use the BrutefirDRC plugin in LMS and can only use PCM for convolution.

Hi~

The Mytek Manhattan DAC and Mytek Stereo 192/DSD DAC are based on the same firmware. These will be limited to DSD64 on Linux.

This is the plug-in we use by default on the microRendu:

Screen Shot 2016-07-13 at 7.58.00 AM.png

These are the file type settings by default on the microRendu:

Screen Shot 2016-07-13 at 7.59.45 AM.png

The Mytek Manhattan DAC and Mytek Stereo 192/DSD DAC are based on the same firmware. These will be limited to DSD64 on Linux.

This is the plug-in we use by default on the microRendu:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27648[/ATTACH]

These are the file type settings by default on the microRendu:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27649[/ATTACH]

Thank you all for the advice~! I just want to confirm that DSD64 is playing fine on my manhattan using squeezelite~

Is your LMS 7.9? Have you enabled the DSD plugin (DSDPlayer) in LMS?

Hi

Will the DSD plugin, DSDPlayer run on LMS 7.7.3? I am thinking of trying out the microRendu but my MacBook is an old 32 bit machine and cannot be updated to newer versions of LMS.

Thanks

Hi

Will the DSD plugin, DSDPlayer run on LMS 7.7.3? I am thinking of trying out the microRendu but my MacBook is an old 32 bit machine and cannot be updated to newer versions of LMS.

Thanks

I doubt that DSDPlayer will work on LMS 7.7.3, but to be certain you'd have to ask over at the slimdevices forum. Is DSDPlayer listed in the Plugins list?

I doubt that DSDPlayer will work on LMS 7.7.3, but to be certain you'd have to ask over at the slimdevices forum. Is DSDPlayer listed in the Plugins list?

Thanks, I've just asked there.

No, it isn't listed in the Plugins list. But maybe I have to add a repository.

Thanks, I've just asked there.

No, it isn't listed in the Plugins list. But maybe I have to add a repository.

If memory serves me correct you need LMS 7.9 for DSD support. The output plug-in is only one part of the equation and LMS needs to support DSD first and foremost to be able to play it.

If memory serves me correct you need LMS 7.9 for DSD support. The output plug-in is only one part of the equation and LMS needs to support DSD first and foremost to be able to play it.

Thanks Jesus

So with my current setup, I can only use the microRendu for PCM and not DSD unless I get a new computer correct?

Thanks Jesus

So with my current setup, I can only use the microRendu for PCM and not DSD unless I get a new computer correct?

You can try one of the other output modes, but I'm not sure what server can run on your computer. Maybe JRiver or MinimServer with DLNA/MPD output mode.

You can try one of the other output modes, but I'm not sure what server can run on your computer. Maybe JRiver or MinimServer with DLNA/MPD output mode.

Thanks again. Minim needs a 64 bit machine too. No worries. I'll stick to what I have until I can afford a new computer to run HQ Player too.

Good thing I came upon this thread before jumping in. Phew...

Thanks Jesus

i think you can use the microRendu with LMS to play DSD files by first converting the Dsf files to DoP (in Foobar). The file will then play as DSD. I use that method with my microRendu in Squeezelite mode.

For my system details, please see my profile. Thank you.

Thanks again. Minim needs a 64 bit machine too. No worries. I'll stick to what I have until I can afford a new computer to run HQ Player too.

Good thing I came upon this thread before jumping in. Phew...

You can also try this:

Sonore APPS - DSD2FLAC

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Jesus and Andrew...

I would like to put in another request to please, please upgrade to a more current LMS version than the January version currently on the MicroJukebox and other devices. Because of the problem with the January version that causes certain Spotify tracks contained within a mixed (internal & Spotify) playlist to go into loop mode, it has rendered these playlists virtually unusable for me. According to Michael Herger, that problem was fixed in February and later versions. Thanks!

Hi Jesus and Andrew...

I would like to put in another request to please, please upgrade to a more current LMS version than the January version currently on the MicroJukebox and other devices. Because of the problem with the January version that causes certain Spotify tracks contained within a mixed (internal & Spotify) playlist to go into loop mode, it has rendered these playlists virtually unusable for me. According to Michael Herger, that problem was fixed in February and later versions. Thanks!

Request noted. This will be looked at when we start work on the SqueezeLite updates. No ETA at the moment.

Request noted. This will be looked at when we start work on the SqueezeLite updates. No ETA at the moment.

I understand, but I will also note, as a long time Vortexbox user, that Andrew can make the latest LMS version available from their repo very, very easily. LMS has been pretty stable for many months, now, so it should not cause any upgrade problems at all.

If you don't mind getting down and dirty with commandline, you can follow these instructions to install a newer LMS beta:

how_to_install_the_squeeze_community_repository [VortexBox Wiki]

Much appreciated apesbrain, however, I do not believe the microjukebox with the sonicorbiter o/s allows the user to, errr "modify" things like we're used to w/the standard vortexbox o/s. I think, in the interest of simplifying things from the user perspective and, I'm sure, to cut down on support issues, there is no end-user login/password/command line functionality.

• 2 weeks later...

Since the good old days of the Squeezebox Touch, I had been encapsulating dsf files as DoP in Foobar prior to playing DSD content.

Recently, I tried playing a DSD album through the uRendu in Squeezelite mode, without converting it to DoP first. It played fine, albeit as 24/176 through my Benchmark DAC2.

I then played the album as DoP. To my surprise, the straight DSD as 24/96 sounded better than the DoP through the same system. More clarity, greater timbre accuracy, less congestion in forte passages. Both DSD and DoP sounded very good, but I clearly preferred the 24/176 version of this DSD album.

I can hardly generalize from a sample of one, but it would seem that the Benchmark's implementation of DoP is not as strong as its 24/176 PCM.

Any comments from other folks using this DAC?

Since the good old days of the Squeezebox Touch, I had been encapsulating dsf files as DoP in Foobar prior to playing DSD content.

Recently, I tried playing a DSD album through the uRendu in Squeezelite mode, without converting it to DoP first. It played fine, albeit as 24/176 through my Benchmark DAC2.

I then played the album as DoP. To my surprise, the straight DSD as 24/96 sounded better than the DoP through the same system. More clarity, greater timbre accuracy, less congestion in forte passages. Both DSD and DoP sounded very good, but I clearly preferred the 24/176 version of this DSD album.

I can hardly generalize from a sample of one, but it would seem that the Benchmark's implementation of DoP is not as strong as its 24/176 PCM.

Any comments from other folks using this DAC?

I just want to clarify that when you play DSD SqueezeLite should be sending DoP to your DAC in a 24/176.4 PCM signal. Your DAC should display DSD with this format if it supports DoP. If you DAC displays 174.4 chances are this is just plain old PCM down sampled from the DSD content. I'm not clear what you mean by 24/96 as this can't be DSD.

Sorry for the 24/96, Jesus. That was a mistake.

What is happening is that if I send the DAC a file already converted to DoP (in Foobar), the DAC shows that it's playing a DSD track. If I send a native DSD track (unconverted to DoP) the DAC shows that is playing a 24/176.4. Yes, that means that it (or LMS) is downsampling the DSD to PCM (I think).

The surprising thing is that the 24/176.4 down sampled track sounds better to me than the DoP.

I am assuming you are running a somewhat recent version of LMS 7.9.

If this is the case then there should be a setting in the devices section to either wrap the DSD up as DoP and will be the same to the DAC as your manually converted files. The other setting is to convert automatically to PCM. It sounds like this is what you have it set to?

The other issue is the way you DAC handles DSD vs PCM. Some definitely handle one better than the other. From what I have head the Mytek DAC (for example) sounds better with DSD than PCM generally. So much so, that a friend has converted all of his 24-192 PCM files to DSD. My personal DAC (Chord 2Qute) is the opposite and definitely sounds better with PCM. And in my case there is a reason for it - the signal is decimated in the DSD chain. Something similar for you perhaps?