IGNORED

Sonicorbiter - SqueezeLite output mode

vortecjr

We have planned upgrades to SqueezeLite and LMS and this will be addressed as part of that effort. In the mean time you can always run LMS on any computer on the network and stream to the microRendu that way. If you decide to do this delete the version running on the microRendu.

Brings up an interesting question. Currently I'm running LMS on my microjukebox (server---I know is not your product) which also has the sonicorbiter o/s and is actually where that particular January LMS version is resident.

I've figured all along that running LMS on the remote server would be more efficient and responsive than running LMS on the uRendu. Would you agree with that or is there a compelling reason to run LMS on the microRendu, instead and just point that LMS to the music files on the microjukebox?

Hopefully the LMS update will occur on both machines that I have as both are running sonicorbiter.............Thanks!

Brings up an interesting question. Currently I'm running LMS on my microjukebox (server---I know is not your product) which also has the sonicorbiter o/s and is actually where that particular January LMS version is resident.

I've figured all along that running LMS on the remote server would be more efficient and responsive than running LMS on the uRendu. Would you agree with that or is there a compelling reason to run LMS on the microRendu, instead and just point that LMS to the music files on the microjukebox?

Hopefully the LMS update will occur on both machines that I have as both are running sonicorbiter.............Thanks!

LMS on the microJukebox would give your access to local storage and internet content. The primary intent of LMS on the microRendu is to give you access to internet content.

LMS on the microJukebox would give your access to local storage and internet content. The primary intent of LMS on the microRendu is to give you access to internet content.

Makes sense, thanks. So, the way I have it set up will stay as is and I'll await the Squeezelite and LMS updates on both machines.

Someone was asking a while back on the microRendu general thread about the sound quality of Squeezelite mode vs. others. For reasons I won't bore you with, I've had the time and dissatisfaction and foolishness to test this idea with the same songs over and over. The executive summary is on my system, the Logitech Media Server (LMS) and Squeezelite mode are notably superior to the MPD/DLNA with MinimServer. So much so I just deleted MinimServer and hope to god I never have to go thru that hassle of installing and setting it up again.

I've got (had) both servers running on an older Synology DS112 NAS. I used Squeezebox for my control point with LMS, and Linn Kazoo with MinimServer. I tried Linn with the LMS but it was flaky so I bailed.

What did I hear: There was a sense of being a bit compressed or rolled off with MinimServer, especially the highs. Bass was there but looser and more blob-like. Also, it felt recessed (or "back" in the soundstage) and thus didn't drive the music (rock) as I've been accustomed to with the LMS version. I switched everything back to LMS and there it was: tweeters came to life, extension of the frequencies up top, bass tight and up front, driving the music like the engine it is.

I might've been satisfied with MinimServer/Kazoo but as it happens I just spent a night at a friend's house eagerly wanting to show off the mRendu. No dice. Whether it was his network, or his running a Sonos at the same time, or his mainstream HT receiver doing the amplification, or his Martin Logans, or whatever, the mRendu (or the whole system, to be fair) sounded like an awful mess compared to our lowly friend the compact disc. I went home and put the mRendu back on my system just to recalibrate myself! And thus began poking around with LMS vs. MinimServer...

So, reporting this as someone had asked here (or in another thread) and I'm wondering if others have had similar or other experiences?

Sum>Frankenstein: JPlay/Audirvana/iTunes, Uptone EtherRegen+LPS-1.2, Rivo Streamer+Uptone JS-2, Schiit Yggdrasil LiM+Shunyata Delta XC, Linn LP12/Hercules II/Ittok/Denon DL-103R, ModWright LS 100, Pass XA25, Tellurium Black II, Monitor Audio Silver 500 on IsoAcoustics Gaias, Shunyata Delta XC, Transparent Audio, P12 power regenerator, and positive room attributes.

• 2 weeks later...

I have not been able to make LMS and SqueezeLite work in my system, my network, trying either the iPeng or Squeezebox apps as the control points.

(FWIW, I've had no problem using MinimServer and the Lumin app as my control point.)

Here's my setup: a headless Mac Mini, in a separate room, as the network music server.

So when I choose SqueezeLite using the Audio App Switcher, both the uRendu and that Mac Mini running LMS show up in either control app. My music files show up too. And the control point app shows that music is playing.

But no sound comes out of my system.

But if I switch to MinimServer (MPD/DLNA) on the headless Mac Mini using Audio App Switcher, the music comes out no problem.

Now I've had about 10 years experience using LMS (formerly SqueezeBox Server), since the SqueezeBox Duet, and then the Touch, were my first two music servers. So it's not clear what the problem might be.

Any suggestions?

Dave, who could add more details but he knows that this works on a hardware level since the MinimServer method works: Ethernet cable > uRendu > Curious Cable Link > Berkeley USB Converter > SPDIF or AES cable > DAC

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Music is love, made audible.

I have not been able to make LMS and SqueezeLite work in my system, my network, trying either the iPeng or Squeezebox apps as the control points.

(FWIW, I've had no problem using MinimServer and the Lumin app as my control point.)

Here's my setup: a headless Mac Mini, in a separate room, as the network music server.

So when I choose SqueezeLite using the Audio App Switcher, both the uRendu and that Mac Mini running LMS show up in either control app. My music files show up too. And the control point app shows that music is playing.

But no sound comes out of my system.

But if I switch to MinimServer (MPD/DLNA) on the headless Mac Mini using Audio App Switcher, the music comes out no problem.

Now I've had about 10 years experience using LMS (formerly SqueezeBox Server), since the SqueezeBox Duet, and then the Touch, were my first two music servers. So it's not clear what the problem might be.

Any suggestions?

Dave, who could add more details but he knows that this works on a hardware level since the MinimServer method works: Ethernet cable > uRendu > Curious Cable Link > Berkeley USB Converter > SPDIF or AES cable > DAC

I'm having a similar situation with a new DAC, it worked fine for a while, then all of the sudden, no sound no matter what I do.

I thought it might be ALSA turning on the MUTE in the DAC, but this would only work through USB, (which my DAC uses), but you are using S/PDIF so that can't be it.

BTW this is just one DAC, all the other DACs I have work fine.

It doesn't seem to be LMS, more likely to be something inside the microRendu (ALSA or squeezelite).

I'm going to try a SOSE and see if that does the same thing.

This is going to take some more investigations.

John S.

John, thanks for the perspective.

The microRendu works fine with both DACs -- neither which is that new to me, a Berkeley Reference with S/PDIF and a Bricasti M1 with AES/EBU, and vice versa -- when it's using MinimServer.

And both DACs work fine, on any of their inputs, with my Aurender N10 as the source.

This is why the situation is somewhat baffling.

Dave, who currently put the microRendu temporarily in his main system to compare it with the N10 but the microRendu is destined for his bedroom secondary system

I'm having a similar situation with a new DAC, it worked fine for a while, then all of the sudden, no sound no matter what I do.

I thought it might be ALSA turning on the MUTE in the DAC, but this would only work through USB, (which my DAC uses), but you are using S/PDIF so that can't be it.

BTW this is just one DAC, all the other DACs I have work fine.

It doesn't seem to be LMS, more likely to be something inside the microRendu (ALSA or squeezelite).

I'm going to try a SOSE and see if that does the same thing.

This is going to take some more investigations.

John S.

John, thanks for the perspective.

The microRendu works fine with both DACs -- neither which is that new to me, a Berkeley Reference with S/PDIF and a Bricasti M1 with AES/EBU, and vice versa -- when it's using MinimServer.

And both DACs work fine, on any of their inputs, with my Aurender N10 as the source.

This is why the situation is somewhat baffling.

Dave, who currently put the microRendu temporarily in his main system to compare it with the N10 but the microRendu is destined for his bedroom secondary system

Go to Settings / SqueezeLite and press Save. Do not change any of the settings in that page.

Go to Settings / SqueezeLite and press Save. Do not change any of the settings in that page.

Tried that, and still doesn't make any sound with Squeeze.

Here's how it looks on my iPad, with iPeng as the control app:

rendy_ipeng.jpg

Note the two red boxes, the one on the right showing the microRendu (which I've named "rendy") is seen and the one on the left showing how the music is playing, 16 seconds into the track.

But no sound.

And yet when I simply switch back to MPD/DLNA, with MinimServer as the server and the Lumin control app, the music plays no problem. No switch of DACs, outputs, inputs, et cetera.

I am wondering now if there's something defective with my little rendy.

Tried that, and still doesn't make any sound with Squeeze.

Here's how it looks on my iPad, with iPeng as the control app:

rendy_ipeng.jpg

Note the two red boxes, the one on the right showing the microRendu (which I've named "rendy") is seen and the one on the left showing how the music is playing, 16 seconds into the track.

But no sound.

And yet when I simply switch back to MPD/DLNA, with MinimServer as the server and the Lumin control app, the music plays no problem. No switch of DACs, outputs, inputs, et cetera.

I am wondering now if there's something defective with my little rendy.

Email me so I can have a look at the back end.

Help!

I have been running the mR for 24 hours in the following setup:

Synology NAS (LMS);

mR + ifi 9V PSU > USB > Oppo 105D.

It is playing .....but it sounds like an LP that is mistracking. Not on all frequencies, the mid to high.

I am hoping that this just needs burn-in.

Are there any diagnostics I can run to check all is within spec?

Any advice?

Thanks,

M

Help!

I have been running the mR for 24 hours in the following setup:

Synology NAS (LMS);

mR + ifi 9V PSU > USB > Oppo 105D.

It is playing .....but it sounds like an LP that is mistracking. Not on all frequencies, the mid to high.

I am hoping that this just needs burn-in.

Are there any diagnostics I can run to check all is within spec?

Any advice?

Thanks,

M

You an check the momentary frequency in Apps / DAC Diagnostics. Refresh the page if you change the rate during playback.

Email me so I can have a look at the back end.

Wow, wow.

Jesus, thank you so much for your super-quick help with my LMS & microRendu glitch.

Really people, customer service above and beyond.

Dave, who says that even though LMS and associated control apps now work with his system that MinimServer and the Lumin app are still far more stable and functional for him

You an check the momentary frequency in Apps / DAC Diagnostics. Refresh the page if you change the rate during playback.

Hi Jesus,

I have been monitoring it, currently:

OPPO OPPO USB AUDIO 2.0 DAC at usb-ci_hdrc.1-1.1, high speed : USB Audio

Playback:

Interface = 1

Altset = 1

Packet Size = 127

Momentary freq = 95999 Hz (0xb.fff8)

Feedback Format = 16.16

Interface 1

Altset 1

Format: S32_LE

Channels: 2

Endpoint: 1 OUT (ASYNC)

Rates: 44100, 48000, 88200, 96000, 176400, 192000, 352800, 384000

Data packet interval: 125 us access: RW_INTERLEAVED

format: S32_LE

subformat: STD

channels: 2

rate: 96000 (96000/1)

period_size: 960

buffer_size: 3840

This is a HiDef file and so is reporting the frequency correctly. It sounds like a dirty needle that needs a lump of dust cleaned off it.

M

Hi Jesus,

I have been monitoring it, currently:

OPPO OPPO USB AUDIO 2.0 DAC at usb-ci_hdrc.1-1.1, high speed : USB Audio

Playback:

Interface = 1

Altset = 1

Packet Size = 127

Momentary freq = 95999 Hz (0xb.fff8)

Feedback Format = 16.16

Interface 1

Altset 1

Format: S32_LE

Channels: 2

Endpoint: 1 OUT (ASYNC)

Rates: 44100, 48000, 88200, 96000, 176400, 192000, 352800, 384000

Data packet interval: 125 us access: RW_INTERLEAVED

format: S32_LE

subformat: STD

channels: 2

rate: 96000 (96000/1)

period_size: 960

buffer_size: 3840

This is a HiDef file and so is reporting the frequency correctly. It sounds like a dirty needle that needs a lump of dust cleaned off it.

M

So clearly it's not mis-tracking. Is LMS set to 100% volume?

Hi Jesus,

Yes.

Since writing the above I have played with the settings in the LMS app. As I was playing a 24bit file I set the sample rate to 24, the file showed it was playing but no sound. I changed to 24_3, same result. I then tried 32, it plays 16 and 24 bit files, it is better but there is still a bit of roughness.

M

Hi Jesus,

Thx for your help.

.....actually, the problem is still very evident.

I also had the same issue yesterday when running DLNA via JRiver and Foobar2000.

I have just been through all the LMS settings and all looks as though it is configured correctly.

M

I have replaced my Oppo 105D with my Bel Canto DAC3.5, using my HiFace I to convert the USB > SPDIF.

The issues have disappeared. I would love to get the Oppo working with the mR - has anyone any thoughts or insights?

I have just been through the 105D settings and there is nothing to adjust. I have used the 105D as a network app and DAC on all these files and it works very well.

Thx,

M

Hello,

Anyone have problems with hi-res playback in Squeezelite mode?

I had no apparent problems until recently. My hi-res Apple Lossless files from HD Tracks played fine from my Mac (I think) but recently I switched (back) over to my Synology NAS DS112 (old, slow) for LMS.

I am not sure but I think I had not played the hi-res files since switching back to the NAS. Now, those songs break up unexpectedly. I thought at first it was network wi-fi stuff since I am streaming the data from my wireless router to an Apple AEx. Works fine with regular lossless files.

Does this seem like it's the NAS's processor's inability to keep up with playback? Or is it something else?

Sum>Frankenstein: JPlay/Audirvana/iTunes, Uptone EtherRegen+LPS-1.2, Rivo Streamer+Uptone JS-2, Schiit Yggdrasil LiM+Shunyata Delta XC, Linn LP12/Hercules II/Ittok/Denon DL-103R, ModWright LS 100, Pass XA25, Tellurium Black II, Monitor Audio Silver 500 on IsoAcoustics Gaias, Shunyata Delta XC, Transparent Audio, P12 power regenerator, and positive room attributes.

I have no issues at all playing 24/88, 24/96, and 24/192 files via Squeezelite using the combination of uRendu, microJukebox (Vortexbox), and LMS.

Hello,

I had no apparent problems until recently. My hi-res Apple Lossless files from HD Tracks played fine from my Mac (I think) but recently I switched (back) over to my Synology NAS DS112 (old, slow) for LMS.

I am not sure but I think I had not played the hi-res files since switching back to the NAS. Now, those songs break up unexpectedly. I thought at first it was network wi-fi stuff since I am streaming the data from my wireless router to an Apple AEx. Works fine with regular lossless files.

Does this seem like it's the NAS's processor's inability to keep up with playback? Or is it something else?

Hello,

I would first try bypassing the Airport Express. Then you could try this setting for the Apple lossless files as a test.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f26-sonore-sponsored/sonicorbiter-squeezelite-output-mode-27263/index2.html#post551966

I would first try bypassing the Airport Express. Then you could try this setting for the Apple lossless files as a test.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f26-sonore-sponsored/sonicorbiter-squeezelite-output-mode-27263/index2.html#post551966

Ha ha, that post for Apple Lossless was for me originally! I've had no issues until last night. As for bypassing the AEx, that's easy but not desirable as the whole purpose of wi-fi is blah blah blah. It doesn't make sense to me that large file sizes or odd file types should be a problem when they work most of the time. I tried regular CD rips immediately after my issues arose and they were fine.

Ha ha, that post for Apple Lossless was for me originally! I've had no issues until last night. As for bypassing the AEx, that's easy but not desirable as the whole purpose of wi-fi is blah blah blah. It doesn't make sense to me that large file sizes or odd file types should be a problem when they work most of the time. I tried regular CD rips immediately after my issues arose and they were fine.

Not sure why I thought that the LMS settings had worked for you. My guess is that the Airport Express is your issue. I have one here not very far from my router and I will not use it to test any important.

Not sure why I thought that the LMS settings had worked for you. My guess is that the Airport Express is your issue. I have one here not very far from my router and I will not use it to test any important.

Okay fair enough. Dumb question then: Assuming price is not an object, would replacing the AEx with another more modern Wi-Fi router in "client mode" be technically (not necessarily sonically) better?

[e.g., http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-wi-fi-router/]

Or, would these settings below affect anything? (I think I got these from a post on the main mRendu thread.)

Screen Shot 2016-07-07 at 19.17.41.png

If you can't see it, it shows SqueezeLite settings, buffer size 8192 and period count 2048.

Thanks for your help!

Also to be clear: those settings you posted DID work for me and seemingly do continue to work. For whatever reason, I had breakups that seemed like data not arriving in time rather than network or radio dropouts. (Right now, things seem to be working again, so this is an intermittent issue.)