IGNORED

Sonicorbiter - SqueezeLite output mode

vortecjr

• 2 months later...

Hi Jesus,

I can't find info on this subject so I thought I'd ask you for help/direction.

I am using SqueezeLite on my SOSE and I have noticed that hi-res files (192khz) will not play in the SPDIF digital optical setting. Can you tell me why that is? I am looking at alternative receivers/amps/dacs and some do not have USB. I'm trying to determine if that is a deal breaker for me. If changing from Squeezelite/LMS to another server is needed to play the higher res formats in SOSE then I can do that, but if I can never play 192khz flac on my SOSE then it doesn't matter. Why can USB handle the higher speeds fine but optical plays a choppy version? Thanks for your help.

Hi Jesus,

I can't find info on this subject so I thought I'd ask you for help/direction.

I am using SqueezeLite on my SOSE and I have noticed that hi-res files (192khz) will not play in the SPDIF digital optical setting. Can you tell me why that is? I am looking at alternative receivers/amps/dacs and some do not have USB. I'm trying to determine if that is a deal breaker for me. If changing from Squeezelite/LMS to another server is needed to play the higher res formats in SOSE then I can do that, but if I can never play 192khz flac on my SOSE then it doesn't matter. Why can USB handle the higher speeds fine but optical plays a choppy version? Thanks for your help.

When you say "will not play" do you mean that the software refuses to play over the optical out at that speed or that the software plays it but the DAC does not receive it?

The optical receiver modules used in DACs come in different speed "grades" the slower ones will not work with a 192Khz sample rate, the faster ones will. So if the software plays 192, but your DAC does not receive it, it is most likely using one of the lower speed modules, thus there is nothing you can do from the SOSE end to improve that.

If the reception is on the edge you could try different optical cables, sometimes that might improve the optical signal getting to the receiver enough that it will work even at the higher speed.

John S.

When you say "will not play" do you mean that the software refuses to play over the optical out at that speed or that the software plays it but the DAC does not receive it?

The optical receiver modules used in DACs come in different speed "grades" the slower ones will not work with a 192Khz sample rate, the faster ones will. So if the software plays 192, but your DAC does not receive it, it is most likely using one of the lower speed modules, thus there is nothing you can do from the SOSE end to improve that.

If the reception is on the edge you could try different optical cables, sometimes that might improve the optical signal getting to the receiver enough that it will work even at the higher speed.

John S.

Hi John, thank you for the note. I have two DACS that I've tried to stream 192 into via optical on the SOSE, both ESS Sabre. One embedded in Emotiva and one in a Parasound Halo integrated. In both cases the audio plays but is extremely choppy. Both play the same flac with the USB output from SOSE just fine. Some amps don't have USB in and if I can't stream the high rate flac that's an unfortunate limitation. My DAC on Parasound specifically says it's rated for up to 192 using SPDIF so I assume it's either the SOSE itself or Squeezelite. Hope that sheds additional light. Appreciate your assistance.

Hi John, thank you for the note. I have two DACS that I've tried to stream 192 into via optical on the SOSE, both ESS Sabre. One embedded in Emotiva and one in a Parasound Halo integrated. In both cases the audio plays but is extremely choppy. Both play the same flac with the USB output from SOSE just fine. Some amps don't have USB in and if I can't stream the high rate flac that's an unfortunate limitation. My DAC on Parasound specifically says it's rated for up to 192 using SPDIF so I assume it's either the SOSE itself or Squeezelite. Hope that sheds additional light. Appreciate your assistance.

The unit supports that rate via SPDIF here in tests. However, there seems to be a compatibility issue between the Sonicorbiter SE and your device. I don't suspect your network though because the USB is working.

The SOSE has the actual optical connector inset behind the case, many optical cables do not go in all the way because of this. Are you using a cable that properly "seats" in the jack? That could be the problem.

I think I remember that Jesus was providing an adapter to get around the issue, are you using this?

John S.

The SOSE has the actual optical connector inset behind the case, many optical cables do not go in all the way because of this. Are you using a cable that properly "seats" in the jack? That could be the problem.

I think I remember that Jesus was providing an adapter to get around the issue, are you using this?

John S.

Hi John, yes I have the revised connector. Seated well. Appreciate the idea.

The unit supports that rate via SPDIF here in tests. However, there seems to be a compatibility issue between the Sonicorbiter SE and your device. I don't suspect your network though because the USB is working.

Hi Jesus, I have the same issue with two devices, Emotiva XDA Gen 2 (Analog Devices AD1955) and the Parasound Halo Integrated (ESS Sabre 32 bit, same as in Oppo 105) in both cases SPDIF at 192 is unlistenable (very choppy playback, but it does play). Do you test via Squeezelite? It seems unlikely both of these DACS have compatibility issues, don't you agree?

Hi Jesus, I have the same issue with two devices, Emotiva XDA Gen 2 (Analog Devices AD1955) and the Parasound Halo Integrated (ESS Sabre 32 bit, same as in Oppo 105) in both cases SPDIF at 192 is unlistenable (very choppy playback, but it does play). Do you test via Squeezelite? It seems unlikely both of these DACS have compatibility issues, don't you agree?

Of course. It seems as you reported...not work on your two DACs. That rate works fine here on my unit with the optical output. The best route here is probably to try a USB to SPDIF converter.

I had the same problem with my Schitt Bitfrost dac. I doubled the buffer size on my squeezelite settings page and it worked . Give it a try.

Nick

I had the same problem with my Schitt Bitfrost dac. I doubled the buffer size on my squeezelite settings page and it worked . Give it a try.

Nick

Thanks Hannibal, worth a try! My setting is auto right now, what's yours set to if you don't mind?

I'm rather new to computer audio.

Are there any apps that will allow me to play on my laptop, and send the data to the microRendu, that is cheaper than Roon? I think HQ Player is one- but that one may include a bit too much tweaking for my needs.

I also understand Roon is ideally on a separate computer/server. I'm looking for something that has just a single computer in the chain..

Thank you!

I'm rather new to computer audio.

Are there any apps that will allow me to play on my laptop, and send the data to the microRendu, that is cheaper than Roon? I think HQ Player is one- but that one may include a bit too much tweaking for my needs.

I also understand Roon is ideally on a separate computer/server. I'm looking for something that has just a single computer in the chain..

Thank you!

Logitech Media Server is free and works with the unit in SqueezeLite output mode.

Hello

I'm using 8192 for buffer size and 2048 for the period count. good luck

Nick

Hi Nick,

I wanted you to know that your suggestion worked! I can now play 192khz files through my SOSE Spdif optical. Thanks to you and this forum, I appreciate it!

Mark

• 1 month later...

Hi, all. I've searched and searched and maybe just missed it under my nose:

My 24/96 files don't play. Would someone please point me to where solutions for 24/96 files not playing in LMS mode might be found? Thank you!

Sum>Frankenstein: JPlay/Audirvana/iTunes, Uptone EtherRegen+LPS-1.2, Rivo Streamer+Uptone JS-2, Schiit Yggdrasil LiM+Shunyata Delta XC, Linn LP12/Hercules II/Ittok/Denon DL-103R, ModWright LS 100, Pass XA25, Tellurium Black II, Monitor Audio Silver 500 on IsoAcoustics Gaias, Shunyata Delta XC, Transparent Audio, P12 power regenerator, and positive room attributes.

Hi, all. I've searched and searched and maybe just missed it under my nose:

My 24/96 files don't play. Would someone please point me to where solutions for 24/96 files not playing in LMS mode might be found? Thank you!

Go to sonicorbiter.com, click on Apps then Dac Diagnostics. Please post the results from that. This will let us know whether the DAC is telling the microRendu if it supports 9600 sample rate.

If the DAC supports it LMS/squeezelite should not have a problem with 24/96.

How do they "not play"? Does LMS flately refuse to play them? Does your controller show they are playing but no sound comes out of the DAC? Do you get sound but also clicks and pops or dropouts? Is there a WiFi link between the server and the microRendu?

It helps to get as much information as possible as to what the problem is and what your setup is. Are your 24/96 files a different file type from the non 24/96 files?

John S.

Go to sonicorbiter.com, click on Apps then Dac Diagnostics. Please post the results from that. This will let us know whether the DAC is telling the microRendu if it supports 9600 sample rate.

If the DAC supports it LMS/squeezelite should not have a problem with 24/96.

How do they "not play"? Does LMS flately refuse to play them? Does your controller show they are playing but no sound comes out of the DAC? Do you get sound but also clicks and pops or dropouts? Is there a WiFi link between the server and the microRendu?

It helps to get as much information as possible as to what the problem is and what your setup is. Are your 24/96 files a different file type from the non 24/96 files?

John S.

Thanks, John.

• Yes, I show 96000 from my DAC.
  • Using the Squeezebox controller on iOS/iPhone, I see the track playing, but only for about one minute whereupon it jumps to the end and the timeline shows 0:00.
  • My mRendu's Ethernet light flashes during this (but seems to do so when it's connected anyway if my memory is correct, music playing or not).
  • No sound whatsoever, even though the playlist songs just before the 24/96 file played just fine.
  • The files in the playlist are mostly Apple Lossless, but the hi-res 24/96 are ALAC from HD Tracks.
  • The LMS server is on a dedicated Mac laptop but I tried LMS on my Synology NAS and have the same problem.

Poking around the forums, I am tempted to try the HDPlayer and convert my files to FLAC, but first things first. I'd prefer to log some meaningful time with my existing setup before I go optimizing playback modes and (yuck) converting file formats. The mRendu already has me regretting my decision to rip anything with lossy formats (even at 320) instead of lossless for everything. The mRendu renders the dynamics and decays in lossless files so much more convincingly over lossy files.

Anyway, thanks for the help.

Sum>Frankenstein: JPlay/Audirvana/iTunes, Uptone EtherRegen+LPS-1.2, Rivo Streamer+Uptone JS-2, Schiit Yggdrasil LiM+Shunyata Delta XC, Linn LP12/Hercules II/Ittok/Denon DL-103R, ModWright LS 100, Pass XA25, Tellurium Black II, Monitor Audio Silver 500 on IsoAcoustics Gaias, Shunyata Delta XC, Transparent Audio, P12 power regenerator, and positive room attributes.

Thanks, John.

• Using the Squeezebox controller on iOS/iPhone, I see the track playing, but only for about one minute whereupon it jumps to the end and the timeline shows 0:00.
  • My mRendu's Ethernet light flashes during this (but seems to do so when it's connected anyway if my memory is correct, music playing or not).
  • No sound whatsoever, even though the playlist songs just before the 24/96 file played just fine.
  • The files in the playlist are mostly Apple Lossless, but the hi-res 24/96 are ALAC from HD Tracks.
  • The LMS server is on a dedicated Mac laptop but I tried LMS on my Synology NAS and have the same problem.

Poking around the forums, I am tempted to try the HDPlayer and convert my files to FLAC, but first things first. I'd prefer to log some meaningful time with my existing setup before I go optimizing playback modes and (yuck) converting file formats. The mRendu already has me regretting my decision to rip anything with lossy formats (even at 320) instead of lossless for everything. The mRendu renders the dynamics and decays in lossless files so much more convincingly over lossy files.

The problem is the ALAC format. LMS cannot read them directly, it fires off a decoder program when you try and play an ALAC file. Either the decoder program is not working correctly (or not there at all) or the computer it is running on can't run it fast enough for a 24/96 file.

Your best bet is to convert those ALAC files into something else, such as AIFF or FLAC, these can be read directly by LMS and should not be a problem.

John S.

The problem is the ALAC format. LMS cannot read them directly, it fires off a decoder program when you try and play an ALAC file. Either the decoder program is not working correctly (or not there at all) or the computer it is running on can't run it fast enough for a 24/96 file.

Your best bet is to convert those ALAC files into something else, such as AIFF or FLAC, these can be read directly by LMS and should not be a problem.

John S.

Okay, thanks John. I appreciate you hanging out here on a Sunday answering questions like mine! I promise I'll get a JS-2 someday...

Fortunately, I don't have zillions of hi-res ALAC files.

Cheers,

Lorenzo C.

Thanks, John.

Try this settings for Apple Lossless in LMS

Screen Shot 2016-06-13 at 8.06.55 AM.png

Jesus, thank you! That did the trick!

Hello Andrew and Jesus,

There is a bug in the LMS version currently in use with the Sonicorbiter package. This bug causes some individual Spotify tracks played with Squeezelite players to sometimes go into loop mode---repeating over and over. You can find Michael Herger's discussion of this in post #273 in this thread on the Squeezebox forum:

[Announce] Spotify Protocol Handler - play Spotify on all your Squeezeboxen - Page 28

He says the issue was fixed in February but the LMS version currently packaged in Sonicorbiter is from January. It would be great if you could update the LMS version to the current one! Thank you.

Hello Andrew and Jesus,

There is a bug in the LMS version currently in use with the Sonicorbiter package. This bug causes some individual Spotify tracks played with Squeezelite players to sometimes go into loop mode---repeating over and over. You can find Michael Herger's discussion of this in post #273 in this thread on the Squeezebox forum:

[Announce] Spotify Protocol Handler - play Spotify on all your Squeezeboxen - Page 28

He says the issue was fixed in February but the LMS version currently packaged in Sonicorbiter is from January. It would be great if you could update the LMS version to the current one! Thank you.

We have planned upgrades to SqueezeLite and LMS and this will be addressed as part of that effort. In the mean time you can always run LMS on any computer on the network and stream to the microRendu that way. If you decide to do this delete the version running on the microRendu.