IGNORED

Sonicorbiter - SqueezeLite output mode

vortecjr

This thread is intended to be a supplement to the Sonore Rendu series user manuals. The manuals contain quick start information that can be viewed here:

Sonicorbiter Rendu Series - User Manuals

Screen Shot 2016-11-18 at 5.33.35 PM.png

The SqueezeLite output mode works with Logitech Media Server (AKA LMS). LMS runs on your computer (PC or Mac) or on a NAS serving up your content to the unit for playback. In addition to LMS serving up your content, it also streams local radio stations and other popular internet streaming services.

LMS for use on your computer (PC or Mac) can be downloaded here: Logitech Media Server

LMS for use on your NAS can usually be installed from your NAS's application manager.

The microJukebox is a Linux based Logitech Media Server made by Small Green Computer. The microJukebox is a low power CD ripping NAS that will automatically rip music CDs to its internal hard drive and serve them up to the Sonicorbiter SE or microRendu.

You can control playback via LMS running on your computer (PC or Mac), or LMS running on your unit, or via one of the popular Apps on your mobile device.

This is a list of the popular Apps for use on your mobile device:

iPeng

Logitech Squeezebox Controller

OrangeSqueeze

This thread is intended to be a supplement to the Sonore Sonicorbiter SE user manual. The manual contains quick start information that can be viewed here: SONORE Sonicorbiter SE - User Manual

The SqueezeLite output mode works with Logitech Media Server (AKA LMS). LMS runs on your computer (PC or Mac) or on a NAS serving up your content to the unit for playback. In addition to LMS serving up your content it also streams local radio stations and other popular internet streaming services.

LMS for use on your computer (PC or Mac) can be downloaded here: My Media - Welcome to mysqueezebox.com!

LMS for use on your NAS can usually be installed from your NAS's application manager.

You can control playback via LMS running on your computer (PC or Mac), or LMS running on your unit, or via one of the popular Apps on your mobile device.

This is a list of the popular Apps for use on your mobile device:

iPeng

Logitech Squeezebox Controller

OrangeSqueeze

Just my two cents as I have all 3 of the apps.

iPeng works well on pretty much all iOS devices

Orange Squeeze is very good on Android phones and tablets. I have it on both a 5.5 inch phone and a 13.3 inch tablet. It scales up or down well and looks good on both. IMO, it is a better graphically than iPeng - e.g., it uses album art very well within the various menus.

LSController is basically the same SB GUI you are used to (similar to what you find on the Touch or Squeezeplay) for your mobile device. Works pretty well - but not as well as the other two. I have had it hang on some Android devices. Is free. Isn't as graphically advanced or user friendly as the other two.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Load the third party Spotify app in LMS. Use ipeng to control it. (You could also use the Spotify app via AirPlay, but it's not as reliable.).

I have Spotify installed now in LMS but it will not play. It starts but after couple seconds returns to start and never any sound. Also it's not my Spotify account, I don't see a way to sign in to mine. I can play radio stns however.

rogerdn

I have Spotify installed now in LMS but it will not play. It starts but after couple seconds returns to start and never any sound. Also it's not my Spotify account, I don't see a way to sign in to mine. I can play radio stns however.

Did you use the third party Spotify plugin in LMS?

SonicTransporter i9 > EtherRegen (optical out) > LUMIN P1 > LUMIN Amp > YG Kipod Signature Passive speakers.

I sent my Sonic Orbiter back to Andrew today for an upgrade, so I can't experiment. But I think next to the plugin there should be a settings option that allows you to enter your Spotify username and password.

SonicTransporter i9 > EtherRegen (optical out) > LUMIN P1 > LUMIN Amp > YG Kipod Signature Passive speakers.

Don't seem to find this.

There are two Spotify plugins in LMS in /settings/plugins:

One is from Logitech and it requires that you go to my squeezebox.com and log into your account to set it up.

The other one is from Triode and it requires that set it up in LMS.

I'm not sure which one you want, but don't enable both at the same time.

Screen Shot 2016-01-22 at 12.00.59 AM.png

Jesus R

You need to install the 3rd party Spotify plug-in and enter your Spotify username and password in the Squeezebox server web interface under settings -> advanced -> spotify

If anybody who purchased a Sonicorbiter SE is having trouble with this you can contact me directly. My email and phone number were included with your unit.

agillis

Small Green Computer

http://www.smallgreencomputer.com/

You need to install the 3rd party Spotify plug-in and enter your Spotify username and password in the Squeezebox server web interface under settings -> advanced -> spotify

If anybody who purchased a Sonicorbiter SE is having trouble with this you can contact me directly. My email and phone number were included with your unit.

Thks agillis, I'll probably take up your offer if I continue to have trouble, I'm just not familiar with SB and frankly have no interest in it except to play Spotify thru my Sonicorbiter SE, I find it quite user unfriendly. Roon was very easy to get working, wish Spotify was set up same way.

rogerdn

Thks agillis, I'll probably take up your offer if I continue to have trouble, I'm just not familiar with SB and frankly have no interest in it except to play Spotify thru my Sonicorbiter SE, I find it quite user unfriendly. Roon was very easy to get working, wish Spotify was set up same way.

If you followed my, and other's, instructions and loaded the third party (Triode) plugin, you would find it user friendly. It's a one time setup. I've been using Spotify without issue on my Sonic Orbiter with no issues. I'm not a computer guy, so if I can do it...

Who is Andrew and what is the upgrade?

thanks-

I'm having the 1 TB Internal storage of my Sonic Orbiter increased to 2 TB. It's been a great device, but I underestimated future storage when I had Andrew build it a year ago..

Now you know who I am, Andrew. ;-)

Here is what we ended up doing:

1. Uninstalled LMS from the Sonicorbiter SE

2. Put the Sonicorbiter SE in Squeezelite output mode

3. Switched to LMS on the Synology

4. Unchecked the Logitech Spotify plug-in

5. Checked the Triode Spotify plug-in

6. Configured the Triode Spotify plug-in

Now he has LMS looking at the content on the Synology along with support for radio and Spotify all in one place.

Jesus R

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello Jesus,

I'm in need of some help. I hooked up my new Sonic Orbiter SE on Thursday and really like the additional details I can hear. I was replacing a Squeezebox Duet. I had it running and then of course wanted to improve it a bit, and that's when I got stuck. I'd really appreciate your assistance.

As I said, I installed Squeezelite and was initially running LMS on my Synology NAS as I have been with my SB. Worked fine. Here comes the "improvement"... Synology won't hibernate with LMS running, so when I saw I could install LMS server also on the SOSE, I stopped it on the Synology and installed it on the SOSE.

That actually seemed to go fine except, I could not get the player configured to find my networked data (e.g. //DISKSTATION/music). No matter what I did it would only see the local file system on the SOSE. So, I decided to fall back to SOSE as a player and the server on my NAS at least until I get a resolution to that.

So I deleted the LMS from SOSE and restarted it on the NAS. I have not been able to get the player to be picked up by the LMS. It only sees my Squeezebox Boom player. I can ping the SOSE IP fine and operate its web pages.

Here's the weird part, when I go into the SOSE web setup and go to App Switcher, the Squeezelite is stopped. I restart it and then then snoop around to see other configuration options, I go back to App Switcher and it has stopped again. It looks like I can't keep Squeezelite running on SOSE. This was not a problem before, but only since I tried my experiment of having LMS and Squeezelite player on the same server.

Can you suggest steps to resolve? Thanks!

Mark

Hello Jesus,

I'm in need of some help. I hooked up my new Sonic Orbiter SE on Thursday and really like the additional details I can hear. I was replacing a Squeezebox Duet. I had it running and then of course wanted to improve it a bit, and that's when I got stuck. I'd really appreciate your assistance.

As I said, I installed Squeezelite and was initially running LMS on my Synology NAS as I have been with my SB. Worked fine. Here comes the "improvement"... Synology won't hibernate with LMS running, so when I saw I could install LMS server also on the SOSE, I stopped it on the Synology and installed it on the SOSE.

That actually seemed to go fine except, I could not get the player configured to find my networked data (e.g. //DISKSTATION/music). No matter what I did it would only see the local file system on the SOSE. So, I decided to fall back to SOSE as a player and the server on my NAS at least until I get a resolution to that.

So I deleted the LMS from SOSE and restarted it on the NAS. I have not been able to get the player to be picked up by the LMS. It only sees my Squeezebox Boom player. I can ping the SOSE IP fine and operate its web pages.

Here's the weird part, when I go into the SOSE web setup and go to App Switcher, the Squeezelite is stopped. I restart it and then then snoop around to see other configuration options, I go back to App Switcher and it has stopped again. It looks like I can't keep Squeezelite running on SOSE. This was not a problem before, but only since I tried my experiment of having LMS and Squeezelite player on the same server.

Can you suggest steps to resolve? Thanks!

Mark

Power down the DAC and the unit.

Power up the DAC and then the unit.

When the GUI is available select the SqueezeLite output mode and see if it becomes active.

Jesus R

Power down the DAC and the unit.

Power up the DAC and then the unit.

When the GUI is available select the SqueezeLite output mode and see if it becomes active.

Jesus R

Jesus,

That did it, thanks! Of course I can't fathom why the DAC power was involved, I'm glad you can :-))

Really appreciate the quick response. Have a great day.

Mark

Does squeezelite mode for the SOSE support hi-res audio, i.e. 24 bit and up to 176.4kHz and 192kHz? Thanks

Yes, as long as your DAC does. It also supports DSD if you add a plug in to LMS.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)