IGNORED

Amara for Tidal 2.0

mneveux

I received the notice for the long awaited Amara for Tidal 2.0. Well, I installed the updated and now Amara will not run at all. The program starts and then quits about 2 to 3 seconds after starting. It is totally unusable. I tried to find the 1.0 version so I could get back up and running but have had no luck.

Anyone else having this problem with 2.0?

Marc

I just saw this thread and downloaded 2.0,you have to read the instructions carefully-my download continually crashed-then i uninstalled the previous version of A 4 T 1.2 or 1.5something and had to reinstall,try to find my original activation #, create a new password all a little tedious and as mneveux said it scanned EVERYTHING it took a few hours.

Now it plays with the 'output device' set for 'sonic stream' or 'speaker-schiit USB-audio device' it never did that before I wander why?

Does it sound any better? I don't know yet-what do you folks think?

The layout hasn't improved the size of album art is still small and blurry and I use a 42" LG hdtv for my monitor.

Exactly what is this version 2.0 supposed to do or improve other than the initial scan of one's library and all of TIDAL?

I think ie my ears think that in some ways ROON sounds better and is more intuitive and interesting to use.

Maybe Ralph the ever so helpful 'voice' of SONICSTREAM/Amarra could help and give us input as I know he reads these posts.

bobbmd

I just saw this thread and downloaded 2.0,you have to read the instructions carefully-my download continually crashed-then i uninstalled the previous version of A 4 T 1.2 or 1.5something and had to reinstall,try to find my original activation #, create a new password all a little tedious and as mneveux said it scanned EVERYTHING it took a few hours.

Now it plays with the 'output device' set for 'sonic stream' or 'speaker-schiit USB-audio device' it never did that before I wander why?

Does it sound any better? I don't know yet-what do you folks think?

The layout hasn't improved the size of album art is still small and blurry and I use a 42" LG hdtv for my monitor.

Exactly what is this version 2.0 supposed to do or improve other than the initial scan of one's library and all of TIDAL?

I think ie my ears think that in some ways ROON sounds better and is more intuitive and interesting to use.

Maybe Ralph the ever so helpful 'voice' of SONICSTREAM/Amarra could help and give us input as I know he reads these posts.

bobbmd

The interface is basically the same except you can pair if with iPhone remote app. I always thought interface was terrible. Why would you make it worse than the Tidal app itself. The sound is very unique and I used to like it until I started using HQPlayer. I find it's sound much more open and natural. It's much more expensive, but I greatly prefer using Roon with HQPlayer than this.

There was a review awhile back that mentioned Amarra was going to have a complete interface overhaul using web based programming similar to the Tidal app but either greatly delayed or scrapped. Even the windows app that was due last Sept still hasn't come out.

I also did the uninstall and reinstall, then the activate/ no you need to reactivate, and new password.

Then, A4T started and scanned, the remote app on my Ipad paired and A4T ran perfectly for about 4 hours. But the ipad pairing disconnected for some reason and A4t wouldn't accept the pairing code the Ipad generated. So i gave up on the remote app and tried to do a search for an artist on A4T which promptly crashed with the all to familiar 'Amarra for Tidal quit unexpectedly' .

I think I need to take a break from Amarra until they come up with a more stable version. I was really impressed with the remote app and the SQ was excellent but the crashes are just too aggravating.

Dbath

I officially surrender! I have been a stanch Amara advocate for years and really like Jon and company but the software is just too damn buggy. My current symphony build that I paid 5x the current price for way back when take forever to load and stutters from time to time. The current Amara for Tidal opens and crashes each time I try to use it. I just want playback to be seamless, easy and sound great, that's it nothing more nothing less. Audirvana may not sound quite as great (but it is extremely close) and is rock solid.

I think I am done with Amara and feel bad that I prodded a friend to buy Amara for Tidal last week given 2.0, oh well. I am really starting to doubt using a mini instead of a device like aurender, bryston, lumin... between SSD, ram upgrades, software for playback it's probably close to a wash. Sorry for my rant it is just so frustrating that companies can't get this right. Rant off

I officially surrender! I have been a stanch Amara advocate for years and really like Jon and company but the software is just too damn buggy. My current symphony build that I paid 5x the current price for way back when take forever to load and stutters from time to time. The current Amara for Tidal opens and crashes each time I try to use it. I just want playback to be seamless, easy and sound great, that's it nothing more nothing less. Audirvana may not sound quite as great (but it is extremely close) and is rock solid.

I think I am done with Amara and feel bad that I prodded a friend to buy Amara for Tidal last week given 2.0, oh well. I am really starting to doubt using a mini instead of a device like aurender, bryston, lumin... between SSD, ram upgrades, software for playback it's probably close to a wash. Sorry for my rant it is just so frustrating that companies can't get this right. Rant off

I've thrown in the towel more than once over the past few years, even resurrecting the old CDP, until I remember the amount of money I've spent. Looking back I question my choices and my sanity. Going forward I'm not sure what I'll do but as you've pointed out it's basically a wash. The landscape is changing rapidly and for now I'm interested in "getting my money's worth". Fortunately I have enough choice (Amarra, A+, HQP, JRMC, etc.) when annoyance runs high. The next couple of years should prove interesting.

Alsoo had the crashes and still not absolutely convinced ( not even close) to this sofware stability. But, from day one AT has been pickie with the artwork cache.

Now for this last version upgrade with the remote I had to take it the hardway. Uninstal the previous version with the uninstaller in the AT folder and then installed it back, and afterwards made a new update of the cache (mid level in this case) and all looks good and the remote is awsome...still, will have to use it for many more moons without crashes before I trust this...and I had quitted it some weeks ago but now the remote ( despite the cost EU means 9.99 USD +VAT, in my case 23% ) convinced me to go back onboard...if it gets stable then will be great because have to confess the remote is very nice and usefull.

So here is roughly my latest Amarra update experience (narrated ad nauseam so as to reproduce in the reader something like the irritation experienced daily by no doubt thousands of users). I'm working from memory, so not every detail may be exactly correct, but I think many will recognize the overall experience:

1. I start Amarra for Tidal (1.something version) to enjoy some music. Luckily it doesn't hang up or crash as it so often does.

2. It tells me an update is available. Cool. (Maybe, I think, Amarra has finally come to its senses and fixed its crappy program. Why do so many of these threads apologize for this company?)

3. I click on the update button, but it is unable to do so automatically as its very presence suggests.

4. It directs me to a page at the Amarra website where it tells me to put in my activation code. In return, it promises to tell me exactly what to download so as to upgrade.

5. It directs me to Amarra 3.0, which has little to do with Amarra for Tidal update I've been told to fetch.

6. So I look around for the Amarra for Tidal download at the website, find it, download 2.0.

7. Start the program--immediate crash.

8. Start the program--crash.

9. Repeat a few more times, just for good measure. No luck.

10. Uninstall program entirely. (I'm good at that, since I've had to do it regularly in 1.etc to fix this or that problem.)

11. Reinstall 2.0. Find activation code, sign into Tidal, etc. Forced yet again to change my customer password (Why prey tell?)

12. Start program. Ahhh this time it doesn't crash. Why? Who knows--this program is so twitchy and unstable, its will is inscrutable.

13. Do deep scan. Surprise: it even worked (it always got stuck halfway through in 1.something!)

14. Listen to half of the first movement of Brahm's 1st. Program suddenly crashes just when I get comfortable. In 1.etc the program often just went silent, and the time progress bar kept ticking. 2.0 apparently will just give up the ghost entirely--that's an upgrade?

15. And "my albums" are duplicated by it at random so every few days I have to cull the entire batch to rid it of duplicates. That was true of 1.0 to 1.etc.

16. Oh, and did I mention it freezes just as often as 1.etc.

17. But the Remote App--now this will make all my frustration worthwhile! Maybe the app is brilliant and you can simply bypass the program--from your recliner!

18. Go to iPad and download the app. Wow, it even looks free--good thing because the program I paid for is subpar in every respect except that it sounds better than Tidal's own app/interface. That's the only reason to use it. Indeed you have to really be an audiophile to want to put up with it.

19. But the app is not free. It's another 9.99. You learn that, however, only when you get to the point of synching the app with the program. Then the program is stable and smart enough to redirect you to Amarra's webpage, where the company invites you to drop products into your shopping cart.

20. Retreat! Until Amarra hires some competent programmers to write a stable user interface that doesn't look 10 years or more old and crash when you look at it, I'm not investing 10 more bucks in an App they make no matter how good it is. Reviews at Apple Store are few, but not heartening.

21. Did I mention I use Audirvana user for my ripped music. It's rock solid and updates easily and frequently. I understand it comes from France. Amarra, I gather, is located a stones throw from the Silicon Valley where I live. You'd think they'd be able to pull this off, given the talent in the neighborhood, and the competition that will soon eclipse them if they do not.

The program doesn't need to beat out Roon for eye candy and content. It just has to provide audiophiles who use Tidal to stream that music from a program that doesn't crash, freeze, randomly duplicate albums, and generally act up all the time.

sockpit: exactly my experience but i just didn't have the patience to type everything you wrote. Am really disappointed in Amarra. I think ROON is superior especially with HQplayer but $$ more to layout. I guess these people are going to kill the goose that laid the golden egg or they just we are all fools born to be nickeled and dimed to death

Despite all the troubles with Amarra, the sound quality is superior to Roon which I tried out this weekend. Roon has a slick interface but for me, it is the sound that matters most.

Yes, Roon sound quality by itself is no match for Amarra for Tidal, especially the Tidal tracks. But when combined, with HQPlayer, I find sound quality surpasses it once you find right settings (even with just 96/24 DAC). And then throw the Roon interface on top and it's hard to go back to Amarra for Tidal. I find I'm usually having to wait for everything to load and there are still no discovery tool whatsoever.

And as far as the remote, I've only tried it on iphone. Everytime I reopen Amarra is asks to for new code. And several times while playing it disconnects. Not sure if ipad version is any better. At least with Roon, remote app is exactly like the desktop version. But I do most of my navigation on the Mac and Amarra is just frustrating.

Despite all the troubles with Amarra, the sound quality is superior to Roon which I tried out this weekend. Roon has a slick interface but for me, it is the sound that matters most.

totally agree with you on the SQ of Amara Tidal when it works... My wish is that Roon buys the playback software of audirvana or HQ or heck even amara (if they can get it to work) and integrate it into their already superb interface. I screwed around with HQ and not super impressed as it was glitchy on my system (mac mini)

I've not tried Roon, but I agree that Amarra's sound quality is really the only reason anyone would wish to use it (esp. since there is no competition for a player that is synched with Tidal). SQ is important enough to me that I use it, despite my litany of complaints above. But how a company like Sonic Studios (with so many products, some professional) could leave their customer base in such a situation as to have their following deeply dislike, even resent, their product--well that's hard to understand from both a business and an ethical standpoint. Perhaps the program was built up in such a way, that its bugs are impossible to do away with? I'm just a consumer, not an electrical engineer, so I don't know what the hurdles to a stable and use friendly version might be. All I know is that this is by far the most primitive piece of software I've used in, say, the last 15 years.

Were I the president of that company, I'd make stability of the UI top priority and, frankly, send an apology to my customers for their having to put up with the freezes, crashes, and other behavioral problems of this product. I'd also provide a free REAL upgrade when, if ever, my employees were able to create a high SQ interface with Tidal that didn't crash, on average, times a day.

This morning alone, Amarra for Tidal 2.0 crashed once, froze twice, leading me to have to quit and restart. When searching for music or choosing an album, the user must work slowly and walk on eggshells to avoid endlessly spinning balls (hangups) or sudden crashes. I encourage anyone reading this to start logging their crashes, freezes, and other wacky behaviors and post them to this site.

By the way: I went to the Amarra customer service portal and provided the staff with the link to this thread. I hope they are watching and that other users come forth with feedback.

mneveux: might you be able to correct the name of this thread (Amarra is misspelled) so that interested parties might find it more easily? Thanks.

What is insane to me is they had to be at one time the best selling playback software for audiophiles and their complete lack of delivering a stable product is going to kill the company. If they ever get it together I'll give it another shot but at this point I'll never give them another dollar or recommend their software to another music lover.

mneveux: might you be able to correct the name of this thread (Amarra is misspelled) so that interested parties might find it more easily? Thanks.

I saw that as soon as I posted (Auto-Correct). I could not find where to edit the title. I was able to edit the tag. Perhaps a moderator can edit it.

I'm having similar issues to the other people in this thread: a half-baked installation process; crashes on launch; a lack of the expected updates to the UI and now crashes pretty well every time I do a search. I'll add to the list an error message when I launched saying it was unable to change sampling rate which only went away when I switched my DAC off and back on again.

What is even more difficult to understand is that a number of beta testers do not seem to have had anything like these problems.

I'm having similar issues to the other people in this thread: a half-baked installation process; crashes on launch; a lack of the expected updates to the UI and now crashes pretty well every time I do a search. I'll add to the list an error message when I launched saying it was unable to change sampling rate which only went away when I switched my DAC off and back on again.

What is even more difficult to understand is that a number of beta testers do not seem to have had anything like these problems.

Hi All,

I wanted to reach out with an update on Amarra for TIDAL 2. We are isolating the issues many have seen with Amarra for TIDAL quitting unexpectedly. There are a couple of areas this is happening with and we are hard at work to resolve. We are planning to post an updated version of Amarra for TIDAL later on this evening assuming testing goes well.

Again, very sorry for any inconvenience and thanks for your patience.

best

Ralph

If you have any other questions or need assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Best regards,

Sonic Studio Customer Support .:.

Sonic Studio, LLC .:. Trust the transparency

Hi All,

I wanted to reach out with an update on Amarra for TIDAL 2. We are isolating the issues many have seen with Amarra for TIDAL quitting unexpectedly. There are a couple of areas this is happening with and we are hard at work to resolve. We are planning to post an updated version of Amarra for TIDAL later on this evening assuming testing goes well.

Again, very sorry for any inconvenience and thanks for your patience.

best

Ralph

Thank for your attention to this. But you need to also realize the problems with recent 2.0 launch are the tiny tip of an iceberg that your customers suffered under in all versions of 1.0.

The problem strikes me as systematic to the program, not merely "a couple of areas this is happening with". It's been going on for as long as I've owned Amarra for Tidal 1.etc, it's daily, and it's a miracle your long-suffering customers on this and similar websites have any loyalty for Sonic Studios left in them.

Please send this thread up your line of command for us . . .

totally agree with you on the SQ of Amara Tidal when it works... My wish is that Roon buys the playback software of audirvana or HQ or heck even amara (if they can get it to work) and integrate it into their already superb interface. I screwed around with HQ and not super impressed as it was glitchy on my system (mac mini)

Have you tried Roon and HQPlayer together? It's still basically in the beta stage but you get the idea that once it's fixed, HQPlayer will run completely in the background and just use Roon as the front end. Currently I'm still getting disconnects occasionally when switching tracks and have to the use the break link in the volumn control. But sounds like they're very close to fixing all these bugs.

I've been a longtime user of Amarra products, so I always check back with them. And I've tried over and over in the past to find a replacement for their software because it's always been frustrating but offered the best sound quality. So it was kind of hard to decide between Roon and Amarra for Tidal, since Roon had a superior interface but lacked the sound quality. At least with HQPlayer integration, I don't have to sacrifice sound quality for usability. So I hope Amarra the best and will keep checking on their progress to see how it improves.