IGNORED

Cary Audio DMS-500

• 1 month later...

@thyname : another approach to utilizing subwoofers with the DMS is to use the unused outputs as both balanced & unbalanced outlets are simultaneously active. Your subwoofers will need their own crossover and achieving proper frequency balance may be a bit more challenging.  

Current audio system: late 2012 Mac Mini I7 quad-core with RoonServer, direct Ethernet cat8 to Cary DMS-500 network streamer/DAC, Bryston 4B SST2 amp, 2-JLA E110 subs, Maggie1.7s, iPad with RoonRemote

2 hours ago, ahwelch said:

@thyname : another approach to utilizing subwoofers with the DMS is to use the unused outputs as both balanced & unbalanced outlets are simultaneously active. Your subwoofers will need their own crossover and achieving proper frequency balance may be a bit more challenging.  

Well, what a coincidence you post this. Ordered one yesterday. Arrives on Thursday.

For starter, I will hook it up to my Preamp- Parasound Halo P5. Which does crossovers for both subs and mains.

thanks for chiming in!

• 1 month later...

This product contains an illegal version of the open source MPD to which MQA was added, which is illegal and a severe copyright violation. The author of MPD has terminated Cary's right to distribute MPD, as they did not provide the source code of their version of MPD with both the Roon and MQA SDK added.

• 1 month later...

I got disappointed the DMS-500 with few problems.  It seems a lot to convenience but Sound Quality is just as much as the NODE2 of BLUESOUND compared to the performance per price, even I bought this unit at Black Friday with almost half price. It was annoying they did make the first unit was defective.

They updated firmwares updates several times, I haven't touched it to my music system. Its retail price $4999 , I guess I determine the value around $1999, however.  Advantage is  ALL IN ONE including DSD, ROON ready and many configuration chances but that's all. 

I'm let down in Cary ;  quality of sound if you think over the price.  

• 4 weeks later...

Just ordered my Cary dms -500 today !  Traded my auralic aries since that would be a redundant piece with the Cary..I will have ps audio m700 monos for my main speakers the nice Marten Django XL and will be running the Cary via xlr into my EMotiva XMC1 stereo inputs via xlr so that i can maintain a home theater bypass and also listen to the Cary with the Emotiva running in Stereo Reference mode which is thier bypass mode ..anyone else doing anything like this? thanks 

On 4/1/2018 at 5:05 AM, dayworker said:

I got disappointed the DMS-500 with few problems.  It seems a lot to convenience but Sound Quality is just as much as the NODE2 of BLUESOUND compared to the performance per price, even I bought this unit at Black Friday with almost half price. It was annoying they did make the first unit was defective.

They updated firmwares updates several times, I haven't touched it to my music system. Its retail price $4999 , I guess I determine the value around $1999, however.  Advantage is  ALL IN ONE including DSD, ROON ready and many configuration chances but that's all. 

I'm let down in Cary ;  quality of sound if you think over the price.  

I personally know a Cary dealer who told me the Quality control isn't good andscared me away. Of course he's also annoyed at their direct sales model, so take his comments in context. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

7 hours ago, firedog said:

I personally know a Cary dealer who told me the Quality control isn't good andscared me away. Of course he's also annoyed at their direct sales model, so take his comments in context. 

Dealers are full of BS on Cary - exactly for the reason you mentioned - them selling direct. Especially with Cary's current pricing tiers.

The DMS-500 is a superb streaming DAC for its price range, and up to a $10,000 unit. Pity it does not get the praise that it fully reserves.

• 2 months later...