IGNORED

Cary Audio DMS-500

Hi - I just got word my Cary DMS-500 Network Audio Server ships on Monday. I'm moving from a USB DAC connected Windows 10 Desktop to a Music Server. I have bunch of DSF files and interested to see (hear) any improvements versus current PC running JRiver. I didn't see another thread on this device so perhaps this is a start of one... My current other DAC's are the Lampizator Amber and Gungnir...

Thanks

• 3 months later...

I had a few issues with the unit. It had annoying clicks between tracks. It took a lot to convince them that it was annoying as they wanted to blame the source files. They eventually did a unit swap stating the first unit was defective. The next unit did the same thing but when I changed it out of pre-amp mode the clicks went away. Not sure why they didn't know that or even ask me to try that on the first unit. Also, a couple of code issues that they fixed with firmware updates (to be expected on a computer based device). I haven't moved it to my big system yet for comparison with the Lampi. Pro's include single box solution, DSD, solid build, and lots of configuration options. I'm still doing sound comparisons with the Gungnir. Overall, I'm disappointed in Cary especially given the price, treatment and what the competition is doing...

• 5 months later...
I had a few issues with the unit. It had annoying clicks between tracks. It took a lot to convince them that it was annoying as they wanted to blame the source files. They eventually did a unit swap stating the first unit was defective. The next unit did the same thing but when I changed it out of pre-amp mode the clicks went away. Not sure why they didn't know that or even ask me to try that on the first unit. Also, a couple of code issues that they fixed with firmware updates (to be expected on a computer based device). I haven't moved it to my big system yet for comparison with the Lampi. Pro's include single box solution, DSD, solid build, and lots of configuration options. I'm still doing sound comparisons with the Gungnir. Overall, I'm disappointed in Cary especially given the price, treatment and what the competition is doing...

Could you please provide additional comments about your experiences to date with the DMS500?

• 4 weeks later...

I have my DMS-500 for 11 months now. It went back again for a new screen which was covered under warranty including shipping. Latest software upgrade added MQA which was a nice plus even though I do not have any MQA music. Sound quality is great at least compared to a PC running Jriver. I found some goofy to me quirks which I sent to Cary buy no major interface code changes so far. iOS control works well. I have mixed feelings to recommend given the price point.

• 1 month later...
Hi - I just got word my Cary DMS-500 Network Audio Server ships on Monday. I'm moving from a USB DAC connected Windows 10 Desktop to a Music Server. I have bunch of DSF files and interested to see (hear) any improvements versus current PC running JRiver. I didn't see another thread on this device so perhaps this is a start of one... My current other DAC's are the Lampizator Amber and Gungnir...

Thanks

Hi, have you had the opportunity to listen to MQA through your dms-500 yet?

• 2 months later...
On 4/30/2016 at 6:23 PM, pmctexas said:

Overall, I'm disappointed in Cary especially given the price, treatment and what the competition is doing...

I'm curious if there's a product at a lower price point that offers the same features?

I was using a windows 10 ultrabook with SSD via JRiver in my main system with my USB DAC, but the motherboard on the laptop fried and now I'm looking for something to replace it. I'd rather go with a stand alone product rather than another computer.

I have lots of high res PCM and DSD files and a Tidal HiFi subscription. I'm looking for a network player that can play Tidal MQA, along with High Res PCM and DSD files. Roon functionality would be nice, but I don't currently subscribe so it's not a deal breaker. The Cary seems to have all the features that I want, although I'm more in the market for something 1/4 to 1/2 the price.

The Bluesound Node2 is close feature-wise (and cheap $), but doesn't do DSD.

• 6 months later...

I recently purchased the DMS-500 and have enjoyed how it has taken my system to the next level. My prior system was a NAD M51 with Audiophilleo2 SPIDF converter, had excellent sound but couldn't play DSD. I have the DMS directly connected to my MacMini with a CAT8 cable, no switch involved - only the Macmini is connected to the router. When I did the direct ethernet connection by bridging the ethernet ports full internet access was still maintained by both the Mac and the DMS; I also noticed a jump in sound quality. The DMS also upsamples to DSD256 and plays native DSD512. I find the DSD256 files upsampled by the DMS to sound better than DSD512 upsampled by ROON. Add to that the DMS app that streams Spotify, Tidal etc.

After months of looking at various configurations involving NAAs, fiber optic converters etc;  this has proven to be much simpler and sounds great. Even the Absolute Sound has recently made the DMS-500 an Editor's choice. 

Current audio system: late 2012 Mac Mini I7 quad-core with RoonServer, direct Ethernet cat8 to Cary DMS-500 network streamer/DAC, Bryston 4B SST2 amp, 2-JLA E110 subs, Maggie1.7s, iPad with RoonRemote

11 hours ago, ahwelch said:

I recently purchased the DMS-500 and have enjoyed how it has taken my system to the next level. My prior system was a NAD M51 with Audiophilleo2 SPIDF converter, had excellent sound but couldn't play DSD. I have the DMS directly connected to my MacMini with a CAT8 cable, no switch involved - only the Macmini is connected to the router. When I did the direct ethernet connection by bridging the ethernet ports full internet access was still maintained by both the Mac and the DMS; I also noticed a jump in sound quality. The DMS also upsamples to DSD256 and plays native DSD512. I find the DSD256 files upsampled by the DMS to sound better than DSD512 upsampled by ROON. Add to that the DMS app that streams Spotify, Tidal etc.

After months of looking at various configurations involving NAAs, fiber optic converters etc;  this has proven to be much simpler and sounds great. Even the Absolute Sound has recently made the DMS-500 an Editor's choice. 

Since you have Magnepans you might not be getting much of a soundstage, but do you care to comment on that? How does soundstage and imaging differ with your old system?

@GUTB: the Maggies are not known to have a great soundstage due to their planar bipolar design which creates a tight sweetspot.   I do find that both the soundstage & even the VG imaging improve with higher resolution files and tweaks which reduce the background EMI/RFI. Currently I rate the 1.7 soundstage as good and the imaging as VG to near excellent. Check out forums such as AudioAsylum which deal extensively on how to improve the Maggies - tweaking your listening room setup is critical. Search for Jonathan Valin's review on the Absolute Sound also. Beyond that let's keep additional comments to the Cary DMS-500 which I consider a winner for its price,  network performance and flexibility.

Current audio system: late 2012 Mac Mini I7 quad-core with RoonServer, direct Ethernet cat8 to Cary DMS-500 network streamer/DAC, Bryston 4B SST2 amp, 2-JLA E110 subs, Maggie1.7s, iPad with RoonRemote

They have this comment on their website. 

*For DSD512 playback, Cary Audio uses proprietary DSP techniques that are not compatible with Roon’s clock management and buffering approach at this time. This means DSD playback is limited up to DSD256 when using the DMS-500 and AiOS products inside of the Roon ecosystem. – The Cary Audio Team

Is 512  now working with Roon or do have use their software to play 512?

Roon software, Lenovo TS 440 server, IPad Air 2 for remote control and Dell 2340T display, Dell Latitude 7140 tablet (Windows 8.1, 256 SSD and 8 GB RAM) with Dell docking station, Aqua Hifi LaScala mk ii DAC, Allnic L 5000 DHT preamp, Shaker Logic Attune with two outputs for the amplifiers, Vitus SS-101 mk ii amp, Bosendorfer VC-7 speakers and Focal Sub Utopia Be subwoofer.

@slingshotI saw that same comment on the Cary website so I was pleasantly surprised when I discovered that DSD512 files upsampled by Roon could be played by the DMS-500. Make sure that Roon dsp "parallelize sigma delta modulator" is enabled so multiple cores are used, otherwise Roon chokes on anything above DSD64, at least on my Mac mini. 

20 minutes ago, ahwelch said:

@slingshotI saw that same comment on the Cary website so I was pleasantly surprised when I discovered that DSD512 files upsampled by Roon could be played by the DMS-500. Make sure that Roon dsp "parallelize sigma delta modulator" is enabled so multiple cores are used, otherwise Roon chokes on anything above DSD64, at least on my Mac mini. 

Cary makes very good products in general, although they had prblems with their processors. I am planning on buying the new Vega G2 in December. Trading a record collection for a subtantial price reduction.

Roon software, Lenovo TS 440 server, IPad Air 2 for remote control and Dell 2340T display, Dell Latitude 7140 tablet (Windows 8.1, 256 SSD and 8 GB RAM) with Dell docking station, Aqua Hifi LaScala mk ii DAC, Allnic L 5000 DHT preamp, Shaker Logic Attune with two outputs for the amplifiers, Vitus SS-101 mk ii amp, Bosendorfer VC-7 speakers and Focal Sub Utopia Be subwoofer.

So far the DMS has been playing DSD512 or upsampling files to DSD256 without any issues. The Cary support has also been excellent with their responses to my queries. I was also looking at the new Vega G2 - appears to be an elegant DAC/streamer which I'm sure will sound great, just pricey at $2k more than what the DMS-500 can be purchased for with the mfr discount. The G2 also doesn't upsample or play MQA like the the DMS. I'm sure the Auralic solution with digital processing separates will yield fantastic sound similar to the DCS approach but at a cost; currently more than my budget.

Looking at this myself as I've now heard it at 2 hifi shows. 

How has it compared to other dacs? Still clicks and pops? Roon works OK? Does it perform as a preamp? 

Thanks

Peach Audio Iso Transformer, Linn Akurate DSM, McIntosh MA2275 

Paradigm 30th Anniversary Tributes, SVS SB13 Ultra x2, Dynaudio BM5A MKII

@bunno77Can't compare the DMS to other DACs other than my NAD M51 which sounded excellent with an Audiophilleo spdif converter. Haven't had the opportunity to listen to other newer DACs but the DMS has taken my listening to another level with its hirez file playback capability. Neil Gaber did a very favorable review in the recent Oct issue of the Absolute Sound - TAS also gave it an Editors Choice award. 

No click, pops, etc while playing back files up to DSD256 whether upsampled  by Roon or the DMS. Only issue that just popped up was that last week I had Roon upsampling to DSD512 on my Mac mini and the DMS successfully playing the files even tho Cary Audio has stated that the DMS can't do this in Roon/Mac OS due to a buffering incompatibility. The DSD512 files now start stuttering and then just stop, perhaps one of my recent system setting changes caused this ? I hope to figure this out soon cause my system has already demonstrated that it can successfully play DSD512. Bright side is my girlfriend & I both thought that the DMS files upsampled to DSD256 sounded better than The Roon DSD512 files. 

Works well as a preamp, in fact both balanced & unbalanced outputs work simultaneously so I can feed my Woo headphone amp at same time as the primary system. 

• 2 weeks later...

@bunno77  Great news! The DSD512 playback problem was due to a mid-Oct Roon update. The latest Roon update implemented today re-enabled successful DSD512 playback which I'm listening to right now with pleasure. So far I think that the DMS upsampling is superior to Roon upsampling but I have them both at DSD512 for comparative listening. Hopefully a subsequent Roon update doesn't break this again. Cheers!