IGNORED

Advice with Synology ds216 models

Folks:

I want to set up a NAS for my house for audio files only. This will be my first NAS. I currently have about 1 to 1.5 TB of audio files including a modest number of HiRes files and 44/16 in FLAC and a fairly large collection of ISO files (from SACDs). I am sure that my wife and I will continue to purchase digital files (both HiRes and 44/16) but we spend most of our listening time listening through Roon (our own files plus Tidal CD-quality).

So, although we may need to expand later, I think one of the Synology ds216 models (ds216, ds216se, ds216play) with two WD Red NAS 4TB drives and a couple of WD external drives (WDBFJK0040HBK-NESN) for backup (one local one stored at my office) would allow me to serve our existing collection and to learn about the care and feeding of a NAS. Although broader advice is welcome, my primary question at this point is: Which model of the ds216?

Thanks,

Mike

Folks:

I want to set up a NAS for my house for audio files only. This will be my first NAS. I currently have about 1 to 1.5 TB of audio files including a modest number of HiRes files and 44/16 in FLAC and a fairly large collection of ISO files (from SACDs). I am sure that my wife and I will continue to purchase digital files (both HiRes and 44/16) but we spend most of our listening time listening through Roon (our own files plus Tidal CD-quality).

So, although we may need to expand later, I think one of the Synology ds216 models (ds216, ds216se, ds216play) with two WD Red NAS 4TB drives and a couple of WD external drives (WDBFJK0040HBK-NESN) for backup (one local one stored at my office) would allow me to serve our existing collection and to learn about the care and feeding of a NAS. Although broader advice is welcome, my primary question at this point is: Which model of the ds216?

Thanks,

Mike

Hi. I hope you don't ming me asking, but why have you decided on the Synology brand when several others could be suitable for your stated purpose (i.e. audio files only)?

Goldsdad:

I have been looking at NAS hardware for a while and it appears to me from what I have seen here and elsewhere that Synology has a good reputation and reliable products. Kind of similar to why I want WD Red NAS disks - high enough quality to be a good bet and enough acceptance to likely be effective in my application. I think it's time for a NAS and I'm not a DYI or a tinkerer. What other NAS solutions do you recommend? Why do you recommend them?

Thanks,

Mike

The two main brands of NAS are QNAP and Synology. the. There are brands like Thecus and Western Digital and others which are snapping at their heals.

A few questions...

First off, are you looking for a solution just to connect to a single playback device or multiple / multi room? Do you have a location to store the NAS away from the computer?

One thing to consider is that if you use Roon, they have been talking about a version of Roon that runs directly on a NAS, but I've heard mention of QNAP being supported but not Synology. This may be a consideration.

Personally if you run just a single playback computer, I'm not sure if using a NAS is a good idea or if directly attached storage (eSATA, internal SATA or USB) isn't a better idea especially for people who don't want the hassles or tinkering, etc.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Love my dependable NAS... just get the best CPU you can afford for best high rez and video streaming

+1

If you're looking at Synology you need to go for the '+' models as they have more powerful processors, particularly important if you are using the NAS cpu to do transcoding (e.g. via minimserver).

Incidentally the Synology has a useful model comparison feature.

ALAC iTunes library on Synology DS412+ running MinimServer with Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 tablet running BubbleUPnP for control >

Hi-Fi 1: Airport Extreme bridge > Netgear switch > TP-Link optical isolation > dCS Network Bridge AND PS Audio PerfectWave Transport > PS Audio DirectStream DAC with Bridge Mk.II > Primare A60 > Harbeth SHL5plus Anniversary Edition .

Hi-Fi 2: Sonore Rendu > Chord Hugo DAC/preamp > LFD integrated > Harbeth P3ESRs and > Sennheiser HD800

Goldsdad:

I have been looking at NAS hardware for a while and it appears to me from what I have seen here and elsewhere that Synology has a good reputation and reliable products. Kind of similar to why I want WD Red NAS disks - high enough quality to be a good bet and enough acceptance to likely be effective in my application. I think it's time for a NAS and I'm not a DYI or a tinkerer. What other NAS solutions do you recommend? Why do you recommend them?

Thanks,

Mike

I've been considering a NAS, so I'm curious about why particular products are chosen for audio systems. Presently, Netgear appeals because they provide a reasonably mature implementation of the BTRFS file system (includes protection against bit rot) for even their lower priced models. I have my eye on the Netgear ReadyNAS 314, but have been reluctant because that model is 2 years old and so an updated model may be just around the corner.

Eloise:

Thank you for your response, cogent as usual. I need a multi-room storage solution and yes, I would put the NAS with my routers in the network closet. I am also a Roon user so I need to find out about their support for Qnap vs. Synology.

Dave:

I am easing myself into a NAS, so I will invest in good disks but right now, I don't want to "over-invest" in the NAS itself until I get more experience with the care and feeding of a NAS in terms of my own needs...

David:

I have seen the Synology comparison chart but I don't have any context for interpreting the differences - that is what I am asking for in this thread. Your insight that the "+" models have more robust processing capability is useful. Thanks.

Goldsdad:

I think you should pay attention to the others on this thread because I'm still trying to figure out what I'm doing. 8^)

Mike

I've been considering a NAS, so I'm curious about why particular products are chosen for audio systems. Presently, Netgear appeals because they provide a reasonably mature implementation of the BTRFS file system (includes protection against bit rot) for even their lower priced models. I have my eye on the Netgear ReadyNAS 314, but have been reluctant because that model is 2 years old and so an updated model may be just around the corner.

Think of a NAS in the same way you buy a video card... would you want to buy a video card from someone who rarely updates their driver software to support changes in application needs? Ongoing maintenance updates for the NAS application suite is just as important as the hardware.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

If money is not tight, go with a 4-bay model. 415+, 415play or worst case 416. The 415+ would be my choice with 2 GB RAM and quad 2.4 GHz Intel Atom CPU. In other words, plenty of power and expandability.

4-bay is really nice when expanding to new/larger disks safely and comfortably. Bought mine for backups and audio - now find myself streaming tons of video, too.

If money is a factor, see if you can get your fingers on a cheap 214play. Pretty ok with 1GB RAM and dual core 1.6 GHz.

Home: Apple Macbook Pro 17" --Mini-Toslink--> Cambridge Audio DacMagic --XLR--> 2x Genelec 8020B

Work: Apple Macbook Pro 15" --USB--> Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 --1/4\"--> Superlux HD668B / 2x Genelec 6010A

If you're looking at Synology you need to go for the '+' models as they have more powerful processors, particularly important if you are using the NAS cpu to do transcoding (e.g. via minimserver).

The '+' model may be overkill though if the NAS is only going to be a file share. I have a DS413 that just shares out folders and runs MinimServer (without transcoding). The CPU barely gets a workout. It's currently in the process of running a backup job while I'm at the same time playing DSD and CPU utilization is at 60%. That will drop significantly once the backup job completes.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

The '+' model may be overkill though if the NAS is only going to be a file share. I have a DS413 that just shares out folders and runs MinimServer (without transcoding). The CPU barely gets a workout. It's currently in the process of running a backup job while I'm at the same time playing DSD and CPU utilization is at 60%. That will drop significantly once the backup job completes.

+1

My DS413 with WD Red drives runs 24/7 as audio file server for three years and there hasn't been any issues at all.

Last year a Melco N1A made it into my home and is now doing its duty for DSD and PCM HiRes files.