IGNORED

Are All AIFF-C Files Compressed?

Hi all,

I am new to the forum so this is my first post! My question is, as the title of this post suggests, is if all AIFF-C files are compressed. From my understanding, the AIFF-C specification simply allows for compression, but it does not say that the format has to be compressed. Am I correct?

The reason that I ask is because I have been downloading most of my hi-res music as AIFF files (for example, from HDTracks). When I use "get info," it says that the files are AIFF-C. I have also been using the AIFF format to rip my CD collection.

Any help is much appreciated!

- hiFidelityMan

Hi all,

I am new to the forum so this is my first post! My question is, as the title of this post suggests, is if all AIFF-C files are compressed. From my understanding, the AIFF-C specification simply allows for compression, but it does not say that the format has to be compressed. Am I correct?

Yes, correct. AIFF-C has also been used for storing uncompressed audio in little-endian form, whereas standard AIFF is always big-endian.

The reason that I ask is because I have been downloading most of my hi-res music as AIFF files (for example, from HDTracks). When I use "get info," it says that the files are AIFF-C. I have also been using the AIFF format to rip my CD collection.

I guess you're seeing 'AIFF-C audio' in Finder on a Mac. Finder incorrectly reports AIFF-C for both AIFF and AIFF-C files. Most likely, your downloaded files are standard AIFF, as are AIFF created by iTunes for many years now. The command line tool afinfo can tell you more about your files.

Yes, correct. AIFF-C has also been used for storing uncompressed audio in little-endian form, whereas standard AIFF is always big-endian.

I guess you're seeing 'AIFF-C audio' in Finder on a Mac. Finder incorrectly reports AIFF-C for both AIFF and AIFF-C files. Most likely, your downloaded files are standard AIFF, as are AIFF created by iTunes for many years now. The command line tool afinfo can tell you more about your files.

goldsdad,

Thank you for your very helpful reply. I was not aware of the afinfo command. It seems quite handy!

I can confirm that my files are big-endian. Although, I am not using iTunes to rip my CD collection.

- hiFidelityMan

goldsdad,

Thank you for your very helpful reply. I was not aware of the afinfo command. It seems quite handy!

I can confirm that my files are big-endian. Although, I am not using iTunes to rip my CD collection.

- hiFidelityMan

AIFF is always big-endian and AIFF-C can be big-endian, so you can't rely on endianness to determine the file format. It's easy, though - afinfo will state:

File type ID: AIFF

or

File type ID: AIFC

where AIFC is a four-letter code for AIFF-C.

Most apps will output AIFF rather than AIFF-C, although some may provide a choice.

AIFF-C applied for avoiding format transformation (byte order of samples) during CD reading.

If copy/read AIFF file from CD (under Mac OS X) it will in AIFF-C format. Some tools can't read such AIFF(-C) that have same file extension with traditional AIFF.

AIFF-C marked as compressed (in the audio file header) due compatibility with header data usual AIFF. But AIFF-C is not compressed.

AuI ConverteR 48x44 - HD audio converter/optimizer for DAC of high resolution files

ISO, DSF, DFF (1-bit/D64/128/256/512/1024), wav, flac, aiff, alac,  safe CD ripper to PCM/DSF,

Seamless Album Conversion, AIFF, WAV, FLAC, DSF metadata editor, Mac & Windows
Offline conversion save energy and nature