IGNORED

Article: CES 2016 Wrap-up

Chris,

Did you ever get in touch with Shahin (EMM). He has a DA2 with your name on it (and later an MA-3 with mine), so you can review vis-a-vis the current DAC2X. Sounded great in their room, and will supposedly offer 256fs input (currently 128fs limited) soon. The thing runs natively at DSD1024 (16X).

I was very disappointed with coverage of CES 2016... Your's is the best I've seen.

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics

I was very disappointed with coverage of CES 2016... Your's is the best I've seen.

Agree!

- Mark

Synology DS916+ > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > Netgear switch > SoTM dCBL-CAT7 > dCS Vivaldi Upsampler (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 Dual 110 Ohm AES/EBU > dCS Vivaldi DAC (David Elrod Statement Gold power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > Absolare Passion preamp (Nordost Valhalla 2 power cord) > Nordost Valhalla 2 xlr > VTL MB-450 III (Shunyata King Cobra CX power cords) > Nordost Valhalla 2 speaker > Kaiser Kaewero Classic /JL Audio F110 (Wireworld Platinum power cord).

Power Conditioning: Entreq Olympus Tellus grounding (AC, preamp and dac) / Shunyata Hydra Triton + Typhoon (Shunyata Anaconda ZiTron umbilical/Shunyata King Cobra CX power cord) > Furutec GTX D-Rhodium AC outlet.

Martin Logan flagship Neolith loudspeakers. This was a difficult room in which to place such large electrostatic loudspeakers. I'm glad I stayed for a while and was able to select several tracks of my choosing. The first few tracks didn't really cut it for me. I believe the room was a major factor with reflections and frequency humps that didn't suit the music well.

I don't know that an ESL is particularly hard to set up in a small room as long as care is taken with the rear reflection. It would have to be a tiny, tiny room to blame the room for poor sound. Usually it's bass or standing waves that messes stuff up. From the shot it looks like there are blinds behind the speakers, better than a bare wall, or worse, glass, so the rear reflection should partly be taken care of. The Martin Logan management sound incompetent to me, can't create a good sounding demo for their $80,000 speakers? Years spent on development, on design, and then fail at the basics? Everyone with any acoustics knowledge at all knows that the room influences the sound, and they just have to deal with it.

Chris might have the "best" but Audiostream and Stereophile have far more pics and room-by-room reports.

Roon ROCK (Roon 1.7; NUC7i3) > Ayre QB-9 Twenty > Ayre AX-5 Twenty > Thiel CS2.4SE (crossovers rebuilt with Clarity CSA and Multicap RTX caps, Mills MRA-12 resistors; ERSE and Jantzen coils; Cardas binding posts and hookup wire); Cardas and OEM power cables, interconnects, and speaker cables

"I'm tired of hearing about Andrew Jones and Elac."

LOL, thanks for this! I am very interested in hearing his new speakers. From the reports, they might reset the optimal price-performance ratio. But I'm hugely disappointed that "Elac USA" is made in China. Not sure I can support workers applying lacquers w/o protective gear.

Roon ROCK (Roon 1.7; NUC7i3) > Ayre QB-9 Twenty > Ayre AX-5 Twenty > Thiel CS2.4SE (crossovers rebuilt with Clarity CSA and Multicap RTX caps, Mills MRA-12 resistors; ERSE and Jantzen coils; Cardas binding posts and hookup wire); Cardas and OEM power cables, interconnects, and speaker cables

When it comes to show reports, more pictures and individual "articles" get publications the most clicks. I'm not playing that game.

Yes, I don't have a problem with your coverage and am very glad to have read it. I quite like your take on MQA as I'm still confused about what it is/how it works. To the extent that Stereophile has broader coverage, I'm sure it's simply because they sent 4-5 people to Vegas.

"I don't know that an ESL is particularly hard to set up in a small room"

Not the ESL panel but the forward firing 12 inch and rear firing 15 inch drivers created the difficulty, many standing waves and easily over pressurising the the small room.

These big Logans need room to breathe.

"I don't know that an ESL is particularly hard to set up in a small room"

Not the ESL panel but the forward firing 12 inch and rear firing 15 inch drivers created the difficulty, many standing waves and easily over pressurising the the small room.

These big Logans need room to breathe.

Yep, like I said usually it's bass or standing waves that messes stuff up, the ESL is usually pretty forgiving, even in small rooms. It's still incompetence to demo a speaker after so much work and investment and failing to take care of the basics. The tech is here today, as we all know. In fact it's been available for over 15 years. It's just disappointing they botch it.

Yep, like I said usually it's bass or standing waves that messes stuff up, the ESL is usually pretty forgiving, even in small rooms. It's still incompetence to demo a speaker after so much work and investment and failing to take care of the basics. The tech is here today, as we all know. In fact it's been available for over 15 years. It's just disappointing they botch it.

Awfully tough words from someone who never stepped one foot in the room.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Awfully tough words from someone who never stepped one foot in the room.

+1

I'm afraid I was stealing the sweet spot when Chris first got to the room. I have to say that that the Martin Logan flagship speakers and the constellation electronics sounded very good to my ears.

• 2 weeks later...

CES 2016 report:

No mention of the most impressive EgglestonWorks Ivy room? It was powered by D'Agostino's Momentum 400 monoblocks, Momentum Preamp, a dCS DAC and clock, with Transparent cabling. It was the most effortless, non-fatiguing, real sounding system I've experienced. Listened for at least an hour and half, maybe more. Awesome.