IGNORED

KEF X300A are freakin' great.

I had a setup consisting of a TEAC UD 301, a Marantz PM 5005, and a pair of KEF Q300s with $120 speaker cables and a $80 USB cable as welll as a $40 RCA interconnect. In alll, about $2250+tax (Canadian) worth of stuff.

Without going into boring detail, I have replaced the above with a pair of KEF X300A's, and nothing else. No cable upgrades, nothing.

The X300A's do not sound any worse, at $900, than the aforementioned $2250 worth of stuff. In fact, if anything, they sound better.

Like the Q speakers, they fall a little flat on their faces with certain genres of music and certain compositions, but when they shine, in acoustic, classical, jazz, certain metal, and certain rock and indy tracks, they shine bright. Very bright.

These are the best value for money in a speaker that I have come across, especially considering that you're getting a full digital audio solution for your $900 (DAC/AMP/speaker). I would whole-heartedly recommend them to anybody looking for a good all in one solution.

Initially I used them in a small room on a desk on some isolation pads and they sounded "ok" but not mind blowing. Since moving them into a nice big 20X30 foot room they sound absolutely spectacular. I really like these speakers a lot.

Cheers

I had a setup consisting of a TEAC UD 301, a Marantz PM 5005, and a pair of KEF Q300s with $120 speaker cables and a $80 USB cable as welll as a $40 RCA interconnect. In alll, about $2250+tax (Canadian) worth of stuff.

Without going into boring detail, I have replaced the above with a pair of KEF X300A's, and nothing else. No cable upgrades, nothing.

The X300A's do not sound any worse, at $900, than the aforementioned $2250 worth of stuff. In fact, if anything, they sound better.

Like the Q speakers, they fall a little flat on their faces with certain genres of music and certain compositions, but when they shine, in acoustic, classical, jazz, certain metal, and certain rock and indy tracks, they shine bright. Very bright.

These are the best value for money in a speaker that I have come across, especially considering that you're getting a full digital audio solution for your $900 (DAC/AMP/speaker). I would whole-heartedly recommend them to anybody looking for a good all in one solution.

Initially I used them in a small room on a desk on some isolation pads and they sounded "ok" but not mind blowing. Since moving them into a nice big 20X30 foot room they sound absolutely spectacular. I really like these speakers a lot.

Cheers

Purchased my KEF X300A when they were first offered. I employ them in my office/study. They rest on custom made Sound Anchor stands without plugs in the rear ports. I connect them (Left Speaker to Right Speaker) with 3m Wireworld Starlight 7 USB/Ultra Violet 7 5M to Dac. The Wireworld over generic but decent USB 2.0 cables improved the SQ a bit without costing a great deal.

Glad you're enjoying them in a substantial sized room. My office study is actually about 12 by 14 feet but I am not surprised the KEFX300A can be appreciated in a much larger room. I have the added benefit of applying Amarra Symphony's iRC to the signal and that has also added to the SQ for the room having created filters specifically for that room and depending on the production quality of the recording can adjust the filter gain value up or down.

Enjoy the KEFX300A in good health as they say,

Richard

IMG_0260.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Hi, I will be getting mine by end of this week, feeling excited!! I would like to know if changing the USB cable (left speaker to right speaker + the one connect to desktop Mac) does the SQ make a big improvment?

Hello teruhata,

Not sure I understand your question. But I'll answer based on my experience. My short answe so you won't have to read my long answer is "Yes" in my experience. The better the cable the better the SQ. I know because I compared commercial grade cables of 5m lengths with that of higher rated USB cables and discerned the difference.

Now for the long answer.

The included directions call for a five meter (5m) USB cable between left and right speaker. I chose the Wireworld Starlight Ultra Violet 7 USB cable. And the same cable from my Mac Mini to the left speaker of the KEFX300A, which happened to reach. But a problem arose that was very disconcerting and which interfered with playback.

The solution as it turned out was provided by the sales manager of Wireworld, who recommended I change the 5m USB cable to a 3m cable between Left and Right speakers of the KEFX300A. And apparently, Wireworld did not make a 3m Ultra Violet 7 USB cable terminated with Mini B.

The reason for the change from 5m to 3m between speakers was that I was getting, an this is peculiar, stuttering with certain sample rates, specifically multiples of 44.1, i.e. 88.2 and 176.4. But not with other sample rates. The sales manager from Wireworld related to me that this was an issue with the 5m cable BUT not with a 3m cable. I was not happy. After all, KEF's directions were for 5m between speakers but in doing so, with Wireworld cables which they recommended, I was experiencing this very peculiar problem. Furthermore the issue did not involve the 5m cable length from Mac Mini to the KEF X300A Left speaker which remained as the Ultra Violet 7. Once I changed the in between LEFT RIGHT cable to a Wireworld 7 (red) 3m USB cable, the stuttering ceased for those sample rates. Seriously. I am not making this up.

You might ask, but KEFX300A are configured with Dacs that are limited to 96/24. Rightly so. But my go-to software player is Amarra Symphony (build 3.0.3/4459) with iRC. And one of the features of Amarra Symphony is that it will down sample 384/192 to 96 if the Dac is so limited. And 352.8 and 176.4 to 88.2. Perfect. I can play my entire library plus Amarra Symphony will convert DSD files to 352.8 PCM and then down sample 352.8 to 88.2 PCM thus playable with KEFX300A.

A lot has changed in cable manufacturing and choices of cable brands since I first bought my KEFX300A when they first were introduced.

Excuse the long answer. Distilled is that, while a commercial grade 2.0 USB cable (read elemental and "cheap" by comparison) will deliver decent SQ, in my opinion, upgrading the quality of USB cables made a difference in SQ. The better the SQ, the more enjoyable the music.

Probably in today's market the variety of USB cables terminated in mini B is now greater in selection than it was when I researched them. My recommendation, choose the best cable you can afford that is available with the cable terminations required to be used for the KEFX300A. I don't use any adapters between cables terminations and the input or output ports.

Enjoy the music,

Richard

Thanks for your details explanation, will definitely keep that in my mind. So I will have to change two USB cables at the same time if i decided to do some upgrade on SQ.

As you mentioned on the media player, is Amarra so far the best media player in the market to produce an excellent quality of music?

Hello teruhata,

Not sure I understand your question. But I'll answer based on my experience. My short answe so you won't have to read my long answer is "Yes" in my experience. The better the cable the better the SQ. I know because I compared commercial grade cables of 5m lengths with that of higher rated USB cables and discerned the difference.

Now for the long answer.

The included directions call for a five meter (5m) USB cable between left and right speaker. I chose the Wireworld Starlight Ultra Violet 7 USB cable. And the same cable from my Mac Mini to the left speaker of the KEFX300A, which happened to reach. But a problem arose that was very disconcerting and which interfered with playback.

The solution as it turned out was provided by the sales manager of Wireworld, who recommended I change the 5m USB cable to a 3m cable between Left and Right speakers of the KEFX300A. And apparently, Wireworld did not make a 3m Ultra Violet 7 USB cable terminated with Mini B.

The reason for the change from 5m to 3m between speakers was that I was getting, an this is peculiar, stuttering with certain sample rates, specifically multiples of 44.1, i.e. 88.2 and 176.4. But not with other sample rates. The sales manager from Wireworld related to me that this was an issue with the 5m cable BUT not with a 3m cable. I was not happy. After all, KEF's directions were for 5m between speakers but in doing so, with Wireworld cables which they recommended, I was experiencing this very peculiar problem. Furthermore the issue did not involve the 5m cable length from Mac Mini to the KEF X300A Left speaker which remained as the Ultra Violet 7. Once I changed the in between LEFT RIGHT cable to a Wireworld 7 (red) 3m USB cable, the stuttering ceased for those sample rates. Seriously. I am not making this up.

You might ask, but KEFX300A are configured with Dacs that are limited to 96/24. Rightly so. But my go-to software player is Amarra Symphony (build 3.0.3/4459) with iRC. And one of the features of Amarra Symphony is that it will down sample 384/192 to 96 if the Dac is so limited. And 352.8 and 176.4 to 88.2. Perfect. I can play my entire library plus Amarra Symphony will convert DSD files to 352.8 PCM and then down sample 352.8 to 88.2 PCM thus playable with KEFX300A.

A lot has changed in cable manufacturing and choices of cable brands since I first bought my KEFX300A when they first were introduced.

Excuse the long answer. Distilled is that, while a commercial grade 2.0 USB cable (read elemental and "cheap" by comparison) will deliver decent SQ, in my opinion, upgrading the quality of USB cables made a difference in SQ. The better the SQ, the more enjoyable the music.

Probably in today's market the variety of USB cables terminated in mini B is now greater in selection than it was when I researched them. My recommendation, choose the best cable you can afford that is available with the cable terminations required to be used for the KEFX300A. I don't use any adapters between cables terminations and the input or output ports.

Enjoy the music,

Richard

Thanks for your details explanation, will definitely keep that in my mind. So I will have to change two USB cables at the same time if i decided to do some upgrade on SQ.

As you mentioned on the media player, is Amarra so far the best media player in the market to produce an excellent quality of music?

Hello teruhata,

In my opinion, Amarra Symphony with iRC is the best player. However, the are many excellent players with different price points. Sonic quality is a subjective assessment. Given that all the players allow for a two week trial (free), one can employ them all. And over time, assess for one's self which one prefers.

As I wrote you in my post, back in 2011, I bought them all. And spent as much time as I needed to compare one with the other. The players have come a long way since 2011. Best for you to check the players that interest you and decide for yourself. The only player I have no experience with is JRMC (nothing personal). I keep them all updated except for Audirvana Plus which I stopped updating when Audirvana Plus changed over to Version 2.XX.

Recommend you take you time. Above all, enjoy the music.

Best,

Richard

Hello teruhata,

In my opinion, Amarra Symphony with iRC is the best player. However, the are many excellent players with different price points. Sonic quality is a subjective assessment. Given that all the players allow for a two week trial (free), one can employ them all. And over time, assess for one's self which one prefers.

As I wrote you in my post, back in 2011, I bought them all. And spent as much time as I needed to compare one with the other. The players have come a long way since 2011. Best for you to check the players that interest you and decide for yourself. The only player I have no experience with is JRMC (nothing personal). I keep them all updated except for Audirvana Plus which I stopped updating when Audirvana Plus changed over to Version 2.XX.

Recommend you take you time. Above all, enjoy the music.

Best,

Richard

Thanks for your advise Richard! Will go try out different players and see which one suit my taste better..haha

I am planning to put the speaker on my study table, i heard from others mentioned that if put them on a small stand such as ISO Acoustics; the sound can be improve a lot. Is it true? If I do so, is it necessary to switch the rear button from Desktop to Stand instead? What's the best listening distance for these speakers?

Thanks for your advise Richard! Will go try out different players and see which one suit my taste better..haha

I am planning to put the speaker on my study table, i heard from others mentioned that if put them on a small stand such as ISO Acoustics; the sound can be improve a lot. Is it true? If I do so, is it necessary to switch the rear button from Desktop to Stand instead? What's the best listening distance for these speakers?

Hello teruhata,

Please refer to my post #2 below to view my KEFX300A. I purchased Sound Anchor stands. Never had them on a table ever. In the photograph which I will include in this post the KEFX300As are 4'6" apart. But you can increase that distance if you have the room to do so.

Yes, of course, if you place your KEFX300A on stands, set the switch to Stand (not desk). I don't use any of the plugs.

Depending on the size of your room/space and your preference for speaker location (there are several methods for determining the best configuration for speaker width and seating position distance. I seat 7 feet from the speakers in my office/study. You can Google various strategies for speaker/seating placement and distances.

Hope this helps.

Best,

Richard

Finally, I got mine last night and i played for an hour and so far so good. The SQ is what i expected, but I assume it will become much more better after 50+ hours of run-in. I have a question regarding the volume adjustment, do you follow the instruction by turn the Gain knob to min and then turn the media player and computer master volume to highest; then slightly turn up the Gain to the comfortable volume?

Finally, I got mine last night and i played for an hour and so far so good. The SQ is what i expected, but I assume it will become much more better after 50+ hours of run-in. I have a question regarding the volume adjustment, do you follow the instruction by turn the Gain knob to min and then turn the media player and computer master volume to highest; then slightly turn up the Gain to the comfortable volume?

Hello teruhata,

No, I don't. Or let me put it this way to be clear: I open AMS (Audio Midi Setup) and select an output source, and insure that the master volume is set to maximum. In my case, W4S Dac2 DSDse. In Amarra Symphony, I set the volume slider to 0 (full volume). I never use the computer or Amarra Symphony to regulate gain. If I am sending the signal to my W4S Dac2 DSDse, then I use my W4S Preamp STP-SE Stage 2 to regulate volume (my Dac is set to 0 to 70max). And I control volume from my Preamp either manually or remotely.

If I am sending the signal from Amarra Symphony wiRC to the KEF X300A and I am using the Apple Remote App to select the music which I can with Amarra Symphony in Amarra mode meaning iTunes is the server and Amarra Symphony's engine plays the music, but Apple Remote App can control iTunes / and thus Amarra Symphony. I set my the Apple Remote App on my iPad Air 2 to maximum, and then from the back of the KEFX300A left speaker I control the volume that way.

That's my way. But please do what you prefer. I don't like software volume control!!!

Helpful?

Best,

Richard

Hello teruhata,

No, I don't. Or let me put it this way to be clear: I open AMS (Audio Midi Setup) and select an output source, and insure that the master volume is set to maximum. In my case, W4S Dac2 DSDse. In Amarra Symphony, I set the volume slider to 0 (full volume). I never use the computer or Amarra Symphony to regulate gain. If I am sending the signal to my W4S Dac2 DSDse, then I use my W4S Preamp STP-SE Stage 2 to regulate volume (my Dac is set to 0 to 70max). And I control volume from my Preamp either manually or remotely.

If I am sending the signal from Amarra Symphony wiRC to the KEF X300A and I am using the Apple Remote App to select the music which I can with Amarra Symphony in Amarra mode meaning iTunes is the server and Amarra Symphony's engine plays the music, but Apple Remote App can control iTunes / and thus Amarra Symphony. I set my the Apple Remote App on my iPad Air 2 to maximum, and then from the back of the KEFX300A left speaker I control the volume that way.

That's my way. But please do what you prefer. I don't like software volume control!!!

Helpful?

Best,

Richard

Hi Richard, very helpful indeed, enjoying the X300A a lot, thanks for all your advice

Hi Richard, very helpful indeed, enjoying the X300A a lot, thanks for all your advice

Hello teruhata,

You're welcome. I think it's been at least two years, and I, too, enjoy the KEFX300As. Some choose to replace them with the LS50 Anniversary edition, but that requires a compliment of components that the KEFX300A contains alone. And the sonic quality is so very good. Others also wish there was a way to add a subwoofer, which I would if I could, yet the bass response is fine. Listen to lots of jazz, and the bass is rendered through Amarra Symphony with excellent responses.

Glad I was helpful. I hope you continue to enjoy your KEFX300A.

Best,

Richard

Hello teruhata,

You're welcome. I think it's been at least two years, and I, too, enjoy the KEFX300As. Some choose to replace them with the LS50 Anniversary edition, but that requires a compliment of components that the KEFX300A contains alone. And the sonic quality is so very good. Others also wish there was a way to add a subwoofer, which I would if I could, yet the bass response is fine. Listen to lots of jazz, and the bass is rendered through Amarra Symphony with excellent responses.

Best,

Richard

I've downloaded the Amarra hifi trial version for testing. I am not sure if this version is too basic compare to other higher level version such as the normal Amarra and Symphony. It seems to me that i couldn't tell the different on sound quality between playing thru iTunes and Amarra hifi. Or i need to use the higher level ones such as Symphony in order to tell the different on sound quality when compare to iTunes? (Please correct me if i am wrong)

I've downloaded the Amarra hifi trial version for testing. I am not sure if this version is too basic compare to other higher level version such as the normal Amarra and Symphony. It seems to me that i couldn't tell the different on sound quality between playing thru iTunes and Amarra hifi. Or i need to use the higher level ones such as Symphony in order to tell the different on sound quality when compare to iTunes? (Please correct me if i am wrong)

Hello teruhata,

I can not correct you as I have never heard either Amarra HIFI or Amarra (standard). I purchased Amarra Symphony (as it is now known) first and only. What Amarra standard and Amarra Symphony share in common is the Amarra engine. And I gather so does Amarra HIFI. What you will want to do, so I don't have to, is to visit Sonic Studio's website (again?) and review the features and release notes and then decide what you desire at the minimum. You might ask, if they all employ the Amarra engine, what would inspire me to spend the money for Amarra Symphony? Notice I am ignoring your initial response that you can not differentiate between iTunes and Amarra HIFI. I don't doubt you. I know members who find iTunes to be fine. Perhaps, that's a starting point for you. But as you may already know, certain formats are not supported by iTunes. And iTunes does not automatically change sample rate. So if you play one track that is 44.1/16 and the next track at 96/24, iTunes won't change to the track's sample rate automatically.

If you read my thread (it's a bit daunting at least in the length of the thread) you'll discover that many who purchased HIFI move on to either Amarra Standard or Amarra Symphony. And many who purchased Amarra Standard move on to Amarra Symphony. And many who encounter issues may choose to move on to...

Preliminarily, Amarra Symphony does what Amarra Standard doesn't. Please compare the features. I also employ iRC which I find indispensible. Amarra Standard doesn't employ the same edition of iRC. Nor offer the meters which I also find indispensible. There are other features not included with Standard but included with Symphony hence the different price points. You can always upgrade. Or you can trial Symphony and discover what differences, if any, you experience.

Admittedly, Symphony with iRC is expensive. But I believe you get what you pay for. And though I am a beta tester, I have paid full price for all the Amarra products I use/beta test. iRc can be employed with Symphony, AsQ+, and Amarra For TIDAL/HIFI.

Download the trials for each program and compare. Make sure you do your due diligence and read up about the features. If I can offer you an further help, I'll be glad to. I own them all save Audirvana Plus (2.XXX upgrade) and JRMC (never used it, ever). Roon at $449 (10% discount). HQPlayer at $137+. And the remaining Decibel, Fidelia Advanced, BitPerfect, Pure Music.

Take your time. Get familiar with how the programs perform. When I do critical listening, I use the Playlist mode of Amarra Symphony (no iTunes is involved) which is strictly Amarra engine with some other features like automatic gapless play etc. Pay now, enjoy now. You need to decide what delivers your enjoyment of the music and what price point you are willing to spend. That part is yours to discover.

Enjoy the music,

Richard

Hello teruhata,

Best,

Richard

It is possible to add a subwoofer output with a modification, although it is quite expensive due to shipping.

EAC -> FLAC -> Oyen Digital miniPro 2TB -> USB -> Lenovo ThinkPad X200 WIN XP -> Dirac Live Room Correction Suite -> AlbumPlayer -> Audioquest USB cable -> Hegel H100 DAC & amplifier -> 2.5mm copper -> AVI Trio loudspeakers

It is possible to add a subwoofer output with a modification, although it is quite expensive due to shipping.

Hello Johan,

Thank you for the information. Is that a tempting to it to bite into. But as you rightly indicate, an expensive meal! I would have to ship from the US to and then back from. I wonder if there is a service in the United States that would provide the same or similar service but without the distance for conducting business.

Still I am grateful for the information.

Best,

Richard

Richard, how about trying that W4S Recovery with the X300As? I'd be interested in the results there.

Hello FIndingit,

You read my mind. In fact, yesterday I posted at the Recovery thread I started the very same thought. I am going to sell my Regen, and purchase a second RUR and ask Rob Woodland of Curious Cable to fashion a Full Loom for me to employ with the Recovery. The KEFX300A should sound like a Sound Current.

In other words, great idea.

Best,

Richard

I have been thinking about buying the 300a's for about a month now. Suits my needs real good for now where I am away from home in a small apartment for 2 weeks out of every month for the rest of the year. Less boxes the better. Just not sure what I do with the speakers after I am done with my temporary home - is there a work around to plug them into a tv to use as home theater speakers?

Also wondering how decent the dac is - some of the reviews had it as just okay. Mostly running roon through usb but have curious cables and regen but is all this maybe wasted on a low quality dac.

So alternative would be decent powered speakers and a decent affordable dac - starting to build the box count again, guess I am wondering how much I need to spend on dac and powered speakers to get to the sound quality of the 300A?

Any thoughts? How is this working for others.

David

I have been thinking about buying the 300a's for about a month now. Suits my needs real good for now where I am away from home in a small apartment for 2 weeks out of every month for the rest of the year. Less boxes the better. Just not sure what I do with the speakers after I am done with my temporary home - is there a work around to plug them into a tv to use as home theater speakers?

Also wondering how decent the dac is - some of the reviews had it as just okay. Mostly running roon through usb but have curious cables and regen but is all this maybe wasted on a low quality dac.

So alternative would be decent powered speakers and a decent affordable dac - starting to build the box count again, guess I am wondering how much I need to spend on dac and powered speakers to get to the sound quality of the 300A?

Any thoughts? How is this working for others.

David

Hello David,

I use the KEFX300A for my auxiliary system in my office/study set on Sound Anchor stands. For the price, the Dacs and bi-amps per speaker are fine. Feed it a good signal and discover just how fine they are. Read reviews. These speakers have been widely reviewed. The reviews are accurate. I myself wrote a review and published mine at the KEFdirect.com USA website. AudioStream also reviewed etc.

I would NOT use them for HT speakers. They are intended for two channel speakers to enjoy music, in my opinion, to start sending film level sound would be a waste of the KEFX300A and a misuse, in my opinion. For what they deliver, they are excellent speakers. Wasted on a table, best on stands.

Good fortune with whatever you decide.

Best,

Richard

^What he said. They aren't anything special for movies and TV. They do deliver clear dialogue but they lack the ridiculous dynamics that make HT enjoyable.

What they do deliver is a good music experience (on stands!) for many kinds of music like most rock, classical, jazz, acoustic, indy... They fall fairly flat on their faces with most bass heavy music, unless it is "organic" bass such as from a stand up bass in jazz.

The DAC in them is good enough for what the speakers are. I had Q300's (same driver but an inch bigger) with a UD301 DAC which goes for about $500 in and of itself. Little to no difference with the X300A's DAC. I can't really hear a difference.

Overall, these are a good value, considering that you could spend $ 500 on an amp, $400 on a DAC, and $450 on Q100 speakers, and be almost $ 1500 deep for about the same experience you're going to get out of a $900 pair of X300A's. They really are decent.

They SUCK on a desk and/or in a small room.

thanks for the feedback.

I had audioengine 2's that have died - I was always amazed at how good this little speaker could be when teamed with a good dac and given a little bit of breathing space. They also worked good with my tv although I admit they were no home theater experience just an upgrade on the TV's own sound.

Any more thoughts on the 300a's in a pretty small room (9 x 12) and listening a low volume - still wondering if just go back to audioengine or try a vanatoo for all the quality I will loose given my circumstances. Thinking the 300a's may be overkill for how I will use them as much as I would love to try the little KEF's.

^What he said. They aren't anything special for movies and TV. They do deliver clear dialogue but they lack the ridiculous dynamics that make HT enjoyable.

What they do deliver is a good music experience (on stands!) for many kinds of music like most rock, classical, jazz, acoustic, indy... They fall fairly flat on their faces with most bass heavy music, unless it is "organic" bass such as from a stand up bass in jazz.

The DAC in them is good enough for what the speakers are. I had Q300's (same driver but an inch bigger) with a UD301 DAC which goes for about $500 in and of itself. Little to no difference with the X300A's DAC. I can't really hear a difference.

Overall, these are a good value, considering that you could spend $ 500 on an amp, $400 on a DAC, and $450 on Q100 speakers, and be almost $ 1500 deep for about the same experience you're going to get out of a $900 pair of X300A's. They really are decent.

They SUCK on a desk and/or in a small room.

thanks for the feedback.

I had audioengine 2's that have died - I was always amazed at how good this little speaker could be when teamed with a good dac and given a little bit of breathing space. They also worked good with my tv although I admit they were no home theater experience just an upgrade on the TV's own sound.

Any more thoughts on the 300a's in a pretty small room (9 x 12) and listening a low volume - still wondering if just go back to audioengine or try a vanatoo for all the quality I will loose given my circumstances. Thinking the 300a's may be overkill for how I will use them as much as I would love to try the little KEF's.

Hello mister sprinkles and David,44

I appreciate both perspectives you offer and concur with just about all of it. Just a touch of a difference unless a small room does not include 13' by 15' which is where I have my KEFX300A. It is more than adequate for the room. Not sure what others regard as small, medium, large etc. But that's not crucial unless it is.

I have a Sony XBR 52" LCD (gorgeous at the time HDTV) and I employ the KEF speakers system for the wall and their subwoofers and my system is 11.2 with KEF contributing to 9.2 of that arrangement. It's the tall rectangular KEFs that can be mounted on the wall. And with 9.2 of them (2 subwoofers), guests have fallen over with (when) I play through my Oppo 93 a Blu-ray is 7.1. Good enough takes on a different meaning for me when guests heads turn in the direction of a fly-over and duck (smile).

mistersprinkles' admonition about putting them on stands is the emmis; and I employ Sound Anchor stands which almost cost what the KEFX300A cost. I also do NOT employ the plugs provided for, I guess, desktop duty. What a waste of the KEFX300A. I also employ better than average USB cables, in my case Wireworld but only for the KEFX300A. They work out very well. Yet another member may tell you something very different.

I must emphasize that overkill is a state of mind, David. I am not being facile here. If by overkill you refer to wow! how enjoyable my music library sounds through these KEFX300As then I prescribe overkill daily until the symptoms disappear (sorry it could be chronic once engaged). Are there better, you know there are. Are these good enough for a certain application? Absolutely. Would the LS50s be better? I think so. And the cost would be 5X time cost to feed the LS50s as they deserve.

For the HT applications my 11.2 (9.2 is the KEFs and the other 2.0 are Atlantic Technology bookshelf speakers used for Height (way up over the HDTV) and the these HT KEFs together, yikes.

Best,

Richard t305_system-1000x1200_1_2.jpg

• t101_tapemeasure-1000x1200_2_2.jpg
  • t_series_lifestyle2-1000x1200_2_2.jpg
  • t_floorstand-1000x1200_3.jpg
  • t305_system-1000x1200_1_2.jpg
  • t301-1000x1200_2.jpg

T305 Home Theater System

yes overkill is probably the wrong word - on the positive side of things sweet spot probably describes things better. With my constraints of

1. extremely small room - 9 by 11 feet

2. listening at low volumes - I really don't enjoy headphones so knowing I won't get full listening experience at low volume so as to not disturb neighbours on both sides

3. short timeframe - my job and apartment are temporary - 10 months, 2 weeks per month (I have a nice system at home)

means I have to be practical and realistic about the sweet spot and the diminishing returns of spending too much on speakers

still the x300a is top of list with the jbl lsr305, vanatoo transparent one, and audioegine 5+ in the mix. Will let you know how it turns out if I go with the Kefs

yes overkill is probably the wrong word - on the positive side of things sweet spot probably describes things better. With my constraints of

1. extremely small room - 9 by 11 feet

2. listening at low volumes - I really don't enjoy headphones so knowing I won't get full listening experience at low volume so as to not disturb neighbours on both sides

3. short timeframe - my job and apartment are temporary - 10 months, 2 weeks per month (I have a nice system at home)

means I have to be practical and realistic about the sweet spot and the diminishing returns of spending too much on speakers

still the x300a is top of list with the jbl lsr305, vanatoo transparent one, and audioegine 5+ in the mix. Will let you know how it turns out if I go with the Kefs

Please do. I would love to learn from you what your experience is of the KEFX300A or for that matter, whatever you go with. We learn more from what does not always match than when it matches. My corallary for I learn more from when things go wrong then when they go right.

Good fortune with whatever you decide.

Enjoy the music,

Richard