IGNORED

Transferring music to QNAP NAS

Can anyone tell me if there is a way to upload music files in batches to QNAP's Music Station as opposed to by copying individual files? All my music is in folders according to file type and subfolders according to artist and album. It appears the only way of copying music over is by copying the files as you cannot select folders. It is taking me forever doing it this way. Surely, there must be a quicker way to do this?

Additionally, how do I transfer an iTunes library?

Also, I am currently doing this over wifi. I tried connecting my hard drive containing my music directly to the USB port on my NAS thinking that would at least speed up one aspect of the transfer, but I can't figure out how do do it this way if anyone knows?

Thanks

2 ch: mac mini with Mavericks OSX, Audirvana+, JRiver MC19, Fidelia, iTunes with Bitplus, exaSound e20 DAC, Simaudio Supernova CDP, DSPeaker Anti-mode 2.0, Simaudio i7 amp, Anthony Gallo Ref 3.5 speakers, Woo Audio WA6 headphone amp, Sennheiser HD800 with Cardas cable.

HT: Pioneer Pro-151 Plasma, Anthem D2v pre/pro, Simaudio Titan 5ch amp, Oppo BDP-103 blu-ray player, Velodyne DD15 sub, Paradigm Signature S6/C3/S2's, Buttkicker tactile transducers.

You should be able to attach to your NAS as a lettered drive from your PC over the home network and transfer folders of music files at will into the NAS "Music" folder and your subdirectory of choice. If its a big transfer ( 200gb +) you may want to temporarily setup wired Ethernet connections to your router as fastest means of file transfer vs Wifi. Otherwise incremental adds of new purchased music to the NAS should take 5-10 minutes over Wifi, wih the usual need to rescan media library afterwards before the files will show for your media server program.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

I would like to know how this is done as it does not allow me to select a folder, other than getting to its contents. Can music be stored outside of Music Station? And is there any good reason in doing so?

2 ch: mac mini with Mavericks OSX, Audirvana+, JRiver MC19, Fidelia, iTunes with Bitplus, exaSound e20 DAC, Simaudio Supernova CDP, DSPeaker Anti-mode 2.0, Simaudio i7 amp, Anthony Gallo Ref 3.5 speakers, Woo Audio WA6 headphone amp, Sennheiser HD800 with Cardas cable.

HT: Pioneer Pro-151 Plasma, Anthem D2v pre/pro, Simaudio Titan 5ch amp, Oppo BDP-103 blu-ray player, Velodyne DD15 sub, Paradigm Signature S6/C3/S2's, Buttkicker tactile transducers.

I would like to know how this is done as it does not allow me to select a folder, other than getting to its contents. Can music be stored outside of Music Station? And is there any good reason in doing so?

Yes. I never use Music Station and store all my music files under "Recordings" and in subsidiary sub-directories. OTOH, you can store them anywhere that makes sense to you.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

Yes. I never use Music Station and store all my music files under "Recordings" and in subsidiary sub-directories. OTOH, you can store them anywhere that makes sense to you.

ok, so I'm new to the NAS world and it all seems to be app based. How do I store music anywhere but within Music World?

Thanks

ok, so I'm new to the NAS world and it all seems to be app based. How do I store music anywhere but within Music World?

I have my QNAP mapped as Drive Z: on my computer so that I can manage it just any other drive with complete ability to define and manage folders and directories. I use the QNAP apps only when they are convenient.

Kal Rubinson

Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile

Ok, having much difficulty here. I've transferred all my hi Rez music into music station on my QNAP successfully. Regardless what app I use as a controller on my iPad, everything currently appears to be working fine for this music. I've also enabled the iTunes server in my QNAP and copied my complete iTunes library into the multimedia folder on my QNAP. If I select minimserver as my server in the control app, only my hi Rez files appear. If I select my NAS as my server in the control app, both my iTunes music appears and the hi Rez music appears. However, none of the album art is coming through and if I select any of my iTunes music to play through my exasound playpoint, all I get is screeching distortion. If I change the destination to my iPad, it plays fine. My NAS and playpoint goes to a gigabit switch connected using CAT6E Ethernet cabling. My iTunes library is located in a folder called iTunes within the multimedia folder on my NAS. If anyone can help me out, it would be much appreciated.

Ok, having much difficulty here. I've transferred all my hi Rez music into music station on my QNAP successfully. Regardless what app I use as a controller on my iPad, everything currently appears to be working fine for this music. I've also enabled the iTunes server in my QNAP and copied my complete iTunes library into the multimedia folder on my QNAP. If I select minimserver as my server in the control app, only my hi Rez files appear. If I select my NAS as my server in the control app, both my iTunes music appears and the hi Rez music appears. However, none of the iTunes album art is coming through and if I select any of my iTunes music to play through my exasound playpoint, all I get is screeching distortion. If I change the destination to my iPad, it plays fine. My NAS and playpoint goes to a gigabit switch connected using CAT6E Ethernet cabling. My iTunes library is located in a folder called iTunes within the multimedia folder on my NAS. If anyone can help me out, it would be much appreciated.

Please see insertion of the word "iTunes" above to clarify things. I didn't catch the edit in time to make it in my original post.

I have a QNAP, and use minimserver. When I add folders, I need to tell minimserver to rescan. Perhaps the same for the others?

Yeah, all I had to do is rescan. Thanks