IGNORED

Regen and input voltage

I am only guessing here, and no doubt John will correct me if I am incorrect, but if the output of the internal +5V regulator also supplied the input for the 3.3V LDO regulator, then the internal +5V regulator would not be regulating correctly, as it needs a higher voltage to function correctly. In this case, the +5V regulator may need to see around +6V at it's input to regulate correctly. Whether or not the output of the internal +3.3V regulator was degraded a little due to seeing less than +5V at it's input is a different matter, but it would not be an ideal situation.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

I am only guessing here, and no doubt John will correct me if I am incorrect, but if the output of the internal +5V regulator also supplied the input for the 3.3V LDO regulator, then the internal +5V regulator would not be regulating correctly, as it needs a higher voltage to function correctly. In this case, the +5V regulator may need to see around +6V at it's input to regulate correctly. Whether or not the output of the internal +3.3V regulator was degraded a little due to seeing less than +5V at it's input is a different matter, but it would not be an ideal situation.

In my experience it's uncommon for regulators to be cascaded in that manner. Either way, trying it should not harm the device.

I believe you to be correct in that the regulators are not cascaded and 5v in would be enough headroom for the 3.3v regulator.

In my experience it's uncommon for regulators to be cascaded in that manner. Either way, trying it should not harm the device.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

Running the Regen with 5V is absolutely no problem, when your DAC doesn't need any power through USB. I've been powering the Regen with 5V already without any hiccups.

Is this an answer out of practical use, or do you know how it works?

My usage of the Regen is out of warranty: It is placed inside my audio computer and everything is soldered - the shortest way.

I do not want to rework everything and finally come to the conclusion, that there are any technical issuses.

My LPSU is already powering my uLink (belcanto) with 5V, and I think, there is more than enough available - for the Regen.

So I could save the money and use my LPSU for both devices :)

Although the voltage regulators in the Regen may not be working in this manner, Pre-regulation is often very worthwhile where the heat sink of the higher voltage regulator is suitably dimensioned, and the lower voltage regulator has modest supply current demands, such as supplying several mA to an I.C, and perhaps 30-50mA to a Xtal oscillator.

The 3.3V regulator in this case would run considerably cooler, which means that it's output voltage would stay more constant, where a typical voltage regulator's output voltage increases more than several mV as it heats up. The pre filtered voltage input to this regulator would also result in a further improvement in output voltage noise and stability, which has benefits for the performance of a Xtal Oscillator.

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020